Author Topic: Model M, 8 keys only respond to hard taps  (Read 1460 times)

Offline metamorphosis

Model M, 8 keys only respond to hard taps
« on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 06:20:20 »
The keys are in different places across the keyboard, and haven't changed before/after with a bolt mod.
The springs and levers all got shifted around so there's no chance it's faulty springs/levers.
Lastly, there's one key which won't respond to even hard taps.

I thought about putting tiny amounts of blu-tack underneath the membrane at the faulty keys, but thought I would get opinions here first.
BTW thanks for all the advice I've absorbed through the various posts here on bolt-modding - it helped.
M

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Model M, 8 keys only respond to hard taps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 06:24:17 »
What specific keys work?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline metamorphosis

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 18:12:26 »
What specific keys work?

All keys work except f5, f12, 0, y, m, ?, right. N doesn't respond but I think I know what causes that.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 21:01:15 »
Normally I guess you have a trace out or corroded and to reseat the connectors. Not seeing any common traces with those if it's an old style large controller.  If it's the later style with the small controller over the numpad, I don't know if the matrix is different on those and you have a bad trace or connection.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline metamorphosis

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 00:10:35 »
Normally I guess you have a trace out or corroded and to reseat the connectors. Not seeing any common traces with those if it's an old style large controller.  If it's the later style with the small controller over the numpad, I don't know if the matrix is different on those and you have a bad trace or connection.

If it were a bad or corroded trace, wouldn't tapping the key harder have no effect?