Author Topic: [SOLD] $5 HP KU-0901 tenkeyless membrane rubberdome  (Read 3204 times)

Offline dante

[SOLD] $5 HP KU-0901 tenkeyless membrane rubberdome
« on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 10:18:20 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172223453901

NOS $5 a piece - I think shipping is double.

The feel is probably 8 out of 10.  Very little is known about this keyboards origin other than it might have been sold with some server racks.  The nice thing is it's 87 ANSI with no BS like a function key being next to the left control.

A pretty good deal if you want a tenkeyless at work and aren't allowed to bring a mechanical.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:49:42 by dante »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: $5 HP KU-0901 tenkeyless membrane rubberdome
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 21:51:58 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172223453901

NOS $5 a piece - I think shipping is double.

The feel is probably 8 out of 10.  Very little is known about this keyboards origin other than it might have been sold with some server racks.  The nice thing is it's 87 ANSI with no BS like a function key being next to the left control.

A pretty good deal if you want a tenkeyless at work and aren't allowed to bring a mechanical.

YES a minion of mine bought this, the postage was ten times higher than what this keyboard was actually worth but he's happy with it.  It's his first Flebay purchase  :thumb: .

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 01:13:09 »
Curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered one of these. It was $5 with $10 shipping. Here are my thoughts.

The key feel is like typing on carpet, the really fluffy thick orange/brown carpet from the '70s and '80s, which results in an extremely quiet (almost silent) typing sound and also a somewhat heavy, short travel actuation. It's quieter than my laptop's keyboard. The carpet-like feeling obscures the tactility. Not really a great feel in my opinion, but better than the other $5 rubberdome keyboards I have. There are definitely some better feeling rubberdomes though.

The legends on the keycaps are painted on (not even pad printed), so I can actually feel them. I do not think they will last long if I end up using this keyboard much. It has one of those numpads that's integrated into the alphas, which is nice to have. Although I do not like media keys generally, these media keys are discrete, which I prefer if I'm going to have them. My only gripe is that the volume controls are backwards. From left to right it's volume up, volume down, mute. It makes more logical sense to me for those to be in the reverse order. On the upside, the media keys are very clicky. It's default height is completely flat with a uniform key profile, but it has two sets of flip out feet for two additional elevation settings. I prefer the shorter set of feet.

Aesthetically, it's not bad. I somewhat dig the 2003-2005-ish look it has. The lock lights are in the top center, which is cool. The construction is not superb, but it's actually pretty darn good for a $5 keyboard. Overall, it's decent if you need something super quiet or a cheapo backup.

It's also the only keyboard I've ever seen that has a safety warning on it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2017, 01:16:16 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 19:18:23 »
Curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered one of these. It was $5 with $10 shipping. Here are my thoughts.

The key feel is like typing on carpet, the really fluffy thick orange/brown carpet from the '70s and '80s, which results in an extremely quiet (almost silent) typing sound and also a somewhat heavy, short travel actuation. It's quieter than my laptop's keyboard. The carpet-like feeling obscures the tactility. Not really a great feel in my opinion, but better than the other $5 rubberdome keyboards I have. There are definitely some better feeling rubberdomes though.

The legends on the keycaps are painted on (not even pad printed), so I can actually feel them. I do not think they will last long if I end up using this keyboard much. It has one of those numpads that's integrated into the alphas, which is nice to have. Although I do not like media keys generally, these media keys are discrete, which I prefer if I'm going to have them. My only gripe is that the volume controls are backwards. From left to right it's volume up, volume down, mute. It makes more logical sense to me for those to be in the reverse order. On the upside, the media keys are very clicky. It's default height is completely flat with a uniform key profile, but it has two sets of flip out feet for two additional elevation settings. I prefer the shorter set of feet.

Aesthetically, it's not bad. I somewhat dig the 2003-2005-ish look it has. The lock lights are in the top center, which is cool. The construction is not superb, but it's actually pretty darn good for a $5 keyboard. Overall, it's decent if you need something super quiet or a cheapo backup.

It's also the only keyboard I've ever seen that has a safety warning on it.
Thank you for sharing!  Now my curiosity too is satisfied.  :thumb: