Author Topic: Plate-Mounted GMK QMX-Clip  (Read 18094 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Plate-Mounted GMK QMX-Clip
« on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 10:53:38 »
I bought the plate-mounted QMX-Clips since I was interested in trying them out and comparing them against o-rings.

QMX-Clip Manual for those interested: * QMX-Clip Manual.pdf (1092.4 kB - downloaded 1142 times.)

Installation

The clips cannot be installed on some 2u keys with PCB-mount Cherry stabilizers.

On the KMAC2, there is no space for the locking clip to get between the switch and the stabilizer housing :(

On the FaceW (using a GON universal 60% plate), it fits just fine:

The clips can be installed on 2u keys with plate-mount Cherry stabilizers but you need to be careful since it is a tight fit and you might crack the QMX-Clip during installation or removal

The clips cannot be installed on keys with Costar stabilizers since it interferes with the movement on the wire :(

The clips can be installed over 2x3x4mm LEDs and 3mm dome-topped LEDs (these LEDs may interfere with thick keycaps)

Usage

The QMX-Clip does silence the downstroke sound of the bottom of the key cap hitting the top of the switch and the upstroke of the stem hitting the inside of the switchtop.  This comes at the price of reducing downstroke travel a little bit:

Left: Cherry MX Switch; Right: Cherry MX Switch with QMX-Clip

I observed that the reduction in key travel is far less than o-rings and that QMX-Clips are more consistent than o-rings.  However, inconsistency still occurs due to the different supports on the underside of key caps.

Anyway, I've kept these on the FaceW for now and while I enjoy the silencing I miss the clack during intense enthusiastic typing. :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Plate-Mounted GMK QMX-Clip
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:16:17 »
 Quality write up. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 05:44:23 »
I am using thick Cherry profile PBT caps on my board and notice on one of the rows (QWERTYUIOP) that occasionally the keycap with touch the top of the switch when being pressed. Do you think these clips would worsen the problem?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 22:20:13 »
Quality write up. Thanks for the info.

Always glad to share.  You're welcome, buddy! :thumb:

I am using thick Cherry profile PBT caps on my board and notice on one of the rows (QWERTYUIOP) that occasionally the keycap with touch the top of the switch when being pressed. Do you think these clips would worsen the problem?

It probably would since the QMX clip adds some thickness to the top of the key cap.  It will however dampen the bottoming out when the keycap touches the top of the switch with the QMX clip.

Could you post some pictures of the underside of your keycaps?  Are they enjoyPBT by any chance?  I have a set of those I can test with.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 00:38:51 »
I installed QMX Clips on a Filco Majestouch tonight and ran into the same problem shown in the first post where the stabilizer wire hits the front of the clip. I just cut away the front of the QMX Clips and a small part of each side where the wire hits, and they work fine now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 09:17:47 »
I tried putting these on a Leopold 980m and they would not latch on.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 15:51:40 »
Is there anything odd about how Leopold mounts the switches?  I've installed them on several keyboards, including a couple of Varmilos, which I understand are more or less identical to Leopold keyboards.  I had to hook one side under the switch, and then press very hard on the other side while pressing in with the installation tool to get them to latch, but they did.  I broke a few on one Varmilo and ended up not having all of the media keys silenced since I only had 2 spares.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 06:42:32 »
I use those on all my keyboards; not on all the switches, but on spacebar, enter, etc. Very good silencing, easy installation and removal.

Offline Auslander

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 01:27:37 »
Yes
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2