Author Topic: Question about Blackwidow's  (Read 2579 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Question about Blackwidow's
« on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 16:27:26 »
Work Secret Santa thing - person I got uses a BWU and I was gonna gift them a few modifier sets. Will standard 104 set modifiers fit properly or will there be spacing issues?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: Question about Blackwidow's
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 17:47:28 »
Bottom row looks to be shaped as a Realforce aka 1.5u 1u 1.5u spacebar 1.5u 1u 1u 1.5u could be problematic?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:42:48 »
I agree with Signature, It looks like its  1.5--1--1.5--6--1.5--1--1--1.5 ...=15U which is correct.
-Dana

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:58:09 »
Probably better to get them a new keyboard, but that might be outside the price range.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:18:00 »
Probably better to get them a new keyboard, but that might be outside the price range.
ha yeah, I keep dropping hints he should build one

Cool, ty everyone for the good eyes. I'll keep this in mind, maybe I'll just get him a sweet spacebar and esc key.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 00:00:52 »
ha yeah, I keep dropping hints he should build one

Cool, ty everyone for the good eyes. I'll keep this in mind, maybe I'll just get him a sweet spacebar and esc key.

you might have a tough time finding anything in the 6U category though. Standard space bars we usually use are 6.25u or 7u.

A couple artisans would work. You can also pull out some fun DCS caps from peoples "SP Grab Bags" and give him some cool color accent options. Or if you have time, you can get him a set of "Alpha" caps off taobao/aliexpress... I did that for a while on my work board. Basically just changed all the alphas to a mint green PBT cap set and left the black ABS mods alone.
-Dana

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 00:37:53 »
I have heard of fitment issues with cherry profile caps and the top casing rubbing against each other.
However, perhaps oem would be all okay since that it what is used across most boards.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:58:03 »
Only the BlackWidow X Tournament Edition (and the Chroma variant of that) has standard 1.25 modifiers on the bottom row.
That is the one that is tenkeyless and has floating keys. The other tenkeyless and the full-size BlackWidow X have the 1.5u and 1u modifiers.

Many key sets do support 1.5 mods these days... but more often for winkeyless option - not always with 6u space bar.