Author Topic: Office chair fix and modification  (Read 4398 times)

Offline delatroy

Office chair fix and modification
« on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 05:16:54 »
My office chair broke but I'm not sure what components I need to replace to fix it. Looks like the base that was meant to hold the swivel part broke:

Moreover is there a better way to repair it to make it more durable going forward?
Thank in advance

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Office chair fix and modification
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:19:10 »
I have cobbled together a few temporary repairs on office chairs that lasted anywhere from a few days to a few months, but they are notoriously-deliberately-obsolescent.

Drilling, shimming, and pinning are easy but won't last forever. Are you friendly with any welders?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline delatroy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 14:57:56 »
No haha. Surely these parts are common and easily replaced?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 15:05:50 »
No haha. Surely these parts are common and easily replaced?

Your piston is broken, just get a rough estimate for the diameter of the piston that fits into the base, measure the bottom and you will find the exact ones on amazon or the like. They are a pain to separate from the chair once you have to replace them, and the fix won't last as long as you expect it to. Good luck.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 17:18:53 »
I've had some success buying replacement parts from Amazon. You can get all sorts of wheels for hardwood floors and new pistons and stuff. Next up for me is to replace the padding in the seat bottom with some kinda memory foam or honeycomb rubber like Purple mattress has.
-Dana