Author Topic: Marquadt Mini & Olivetti E-Typewriter Module  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
Marquadt Mini & Olivetti E-Typewriter Module
« on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 08:57:57 »
Hi guys!

I just bought two interesting keyboards from an Italian seller on Ebay. There really isn't much information about these. Apparently the Marquadt Mini has MX-mount switches that feel like MX Blacks, but are actually Marquadt switches (not the butterfly ones). It also has doubleshot keycaps, so that's cool. The other one I had to get because of the beautiful keycaps... I mean.. look at those huge chunks of ABS! I've heard these have stiff linear switches, so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on  it! It'd be interesting to see if I can get it working on a modern computer as well.

What do you guys think?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Marquadt Mini & Olivetti E-Typewriter Module
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 02:51:40 »
That's awesome—but where did you get that photo of me to use as your avatar??

Oh, and BTW, "Great Finds" is traditionally for stuff we see that's for sale. Your thread would probably be better-placed in the Keyboards section. I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 04:06:09 »
Those are some big spacebars, and since when was QZERTY a thing?!  Interesting boards, good luck getting them working.  I'll help if I can :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 08:01:10 »

I'm not sure I understand. That's me! O.o

Thanks for correcting me, anyway. I am new to this forum and forums in general. I'll keep that in mind when sharing stuff like this.

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 08:01:58 »
Those are some big spacebars, and since when was QZERTY a thing?!  Interesting boards, good luck getting them working.  I'll help if I can :thumb:

Thanks! That would be pretty fantastic - assuming they actually feel good to type on.. haha.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 20:02:21 »

I'm not sure I understand. That's me!...

What—you're using an avatar that's an actual photo of you?? It's the first time I've ever seen anyone do that. On the surface, it'd seem to indicate a total lack of imagination. But hey, maybe you're actually showing how imaginative you are, because no one else would imagine doing it. Tricky!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 06:57:01 »

What—you're using an avatar that's an actual photo of you?? It's the first time I've ever seen anyone do that. On the surface, it'd seem to indicate a total lack of imagination. But hey, maybe you're actually showing how imaginative you are, because no one else would imagine doing it. Tricky!

I didn't really think that far into it, so I guess I am unimaginative. :)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 07:30:18 »

I didn't really think that far into it, so I guess I am unimaginative. :)
Pretty sure he can get away with it - at least he still has all his hair ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 07:40:38 »
The keyboard god speaks! What do you think of these? Do you know anything about them? They haven't arrived yet.

You may also be interested to know that I recently bought yet another UK Model F XT made in Oct 1986! I have another UK F XT I got a few weeks ago from as late as 1985, and I thought that was young... Were the 5150 and 5160 still available after the Model M was introduced?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2018, 07:44:16 by Wazrach »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:41:45 »
The keyboard god speaks! What do you think of these? Do you know anything about them? They haven't arrived yet.

You may also be interested to know that I recently bought yet another UK Model F XT made in Oct 1986! I have another UK F XT I got a few weeks ago from as late as 1985, and I thought that was young... Were the 5150 and 5160 still available after the Model M was introduced?
I have the butterfly switches, but not the other Marqs, so I wouldn't know :) .

They still made the PC XT as late as August 1987! They may also be retrofits; you know, replacement keyboards for older systems. That said, I'm pretty sure that by that time they had already brought out the XT Model M, so I'm guessing that these were for people who didn't want to "upgrade" to a Model M (yes, it was originally considered an upgrade ;) ).

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:15:39 »

They still made the PC XT as late as August 1987! They may also be retrofits; you know, replacement keyboards for older systems. That said, I'm pretty sure that by that time they had already brought out the XT Model M, so I'm guessing that these were for people who didn't want to "upgrade" to a Model M (yes, it was originally considered an upgrade ;) ).

That's really interesting. I thought the XT Model F and the computers it came with were phased out in favour of the AT. Why did they still sell it that late? Was it a cheaper option?

I'm dying to get my hands on this XT! It better sound as musical as the one in LazyGameReviewer's intro. ;P

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 12:53:21 »

That's really interesting. I thought the XT Model F and the computers it came with were phased out in favour of the AT. Why did they still sell it that late? Was it a cheaper option?

I'm dying to get my hands on this XT! It better sound as musical as the one in LazyGameReviewer's intro. ;P
The PC (and XT) were revolutionary mainly in how open-source and third-party everything was. It was assembled from pretty simple parts off the shelf, really - they opted to use fairly average-spec (but easily available!) components and even software, even though IBM made much more powerful (but not easily available or as affordable) stuff in-house. The PC AT on the other hand was meant to be top-of-the-line, a computing powerhouse for the time. I suspect that's also partly why it sold far fewer units (and by extension, why the F AT is so much harder to get hold of than the F XT). 

IIRC, I narrowed the sound of LGR's intro down to the F XT, yes :) .

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 15:46:51 »

The PC (and XT) were revolutionary mainly in how open-source and third-party everything was. It was assembled from pretty simple parts off the shelf, really - they opted to use fairly average-spec (but easily available!) components and even software, even though IBM made much more powerful (but not easily available or as affordable) stuff in-house. The PC AT on the other hand was meant to be top-of-the-line, a computing powerhouse for the time. I suspect that's also partly why it sold far fewer units (and by extension, why the F AT is so much harder to get hold of than the F XT). 

That is really cool stuff! Thanks for that information! It's a damn shame the PC AT wasn't more common, because I'd love to get my hands on an original AT Model F one day. I guess its rarity makes it more desirable. :P

Oh yeah, you can tell the thock that it's an XT in LGR's intro - but how does his sound so pingy and cool? None of mine have sounded THAT nice. :P (I love ping, in case you haven't noticed)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 20:28:27 »

That is really cool stuff! Thanks for that information! It's a damn shame the PC AT wasn't more common, because I'd love to get my hands on an original AT Model F one day. I guess its rarity makes it more desirable. :P

Oh yeah, you can tell the thock that it's an XT in LGR's intro - but how does his sound so pingy and cool? None of mine have sounded THAT nice. :P (I love ping, in case you haven't noticed)
From my experience, the tauter the chassis and the less acoustic the case, the more the thock is attenuated and the more the ping is brought out. This also goes for other keyboards.

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:23:45 »

From my experience, the tauter the chassis and the less acoustic the case, the more the thock is attenuated and the more the ping is brought out. This also goes for other keyboards.

What about Models M that are bolt-modded? Yours seems to have very little ping compared to your industrial model. It would be interesting to make the pingiest Model F if I had the tools and knowledge. I can only assume that they get pingier with age.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:36:54 »

What about Models M that are bolt-modded? Yours seems to have very little ping compared to your industrial model. It would be interesting to make the pingiest Model F if I had the tools and knowledge. I can only assume that they get pingier with age.
No, they don't really get pingier with age. I just REALLY overtightened the chassis on that one xD . Some don't like their M chassis to be squeezed that tightly, but I think it feels and sounds nice.