Author Topic: Keyboards and work...  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Keyboards and work...
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:23:17 »
Just wondering what most people do regarding keyboards for work. Do you have a different board at work than at home? Do you have the same? Do you take your favorite keyboard into work with you everyday?
Actually when it comes to work, and not games, i used a HP KU 0316 for my exams.Since i am more comfortable with clicky, mechanical switches i find that more high profile keys get me slower. Anything medium to low profile i like especially if it's mechanical.
PS: It wasn't fun typing on that rubber dome at all. In my past posts, you can clearly see why i don't like typing on that piece of dump.

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 22:11:13 »
Worth keeping in mind, the new Macbook Pro keyboard is loud af, you can probably get away with some browns and be at the same volume.

I probably should keep the volume on par with or lower than wireless Logitech rubber domes, which is what everyone seems to have here. 

Since graduating college I've worked in 9 different offices, some big, some small, but I have never seen a Mac in a work setting.   Not even once.

I tend to think of them as home computers for people who like to spend 3 times more for half the performance :p

You're lucky. In Silicon Valley everyone is on the Apple bandwagon even though they cost more and fail more than enterprise grade Lenovos or Dells.

Offline UggNot

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 09:13:29 »
I’m a software engineer and currently move a sol with box navies back and forth between work during the week and home on the weekend.

I built the board initially as a gag to be he most irritating possible, but I love it so much that now I just leave the lights off most of the time and just use it for everything.

I keep a coolermaster masterkeys pro m in my desk drawer in case I need another board. (Plus the crappy rubber dome the company gave me).

The split ortho layout means nobody wants to touch my board even with legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline N8N

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 09:35:55 »
I’m a software engineer and currently move a sol with box navies back and forth between work during the week and home on the weekend.

I built the board initially as a gag to be he most irritating possible, but I love it so much that now I just leave the lights off most of the time and just use it for everything.

I keep a coolermaster masterkeys pro m in my desk drawer in case I need another board. (Plus the crappy rubber dome the company gave me).

The split ortho layout means nobody wants to touch my board even with legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I've started using a Model F on my personal laptop I am curious how you like the Masterkeys Pro M.  The layout intrigues me as I do use the crap out of both the numpad and the nav cluster, I've sort of kind of become used to using the nav layer of the numpad but the layout of the Pro M seems better to me.  Thinking of getting one to replace my Filco for a little more desk space as a full size board takes up most of the KB tray of the standing desks we got at work earlier this year and it would allow for a little more mousing space.  No other board I have would even fit; I was using a SGI Granite before and it's laughable in that space.  (I couldn't use the F at work for noise reasons, and also I use the F-keys for AutoCAD and I'm not about to unlearn 30 years of muscle memory.)

So...  Do you find the layout functional?  Any issues with the board?  And my biggest question, how durable are the keycaps?  The only ones I've used that seem to hold up long term are PBT; I destroyed a set of Cherry ABS doubleshots in under a year.  This is a concern on the Pro M as obviously aftermarket caps won't be printed for that unique (but really appealing) layout.

Thanks for any comments!
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 12:15:16 »
It’s Christmas time, but I’m upgrading my setup

Offline mode

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 02:41:57 »
I rarely use a mech at home, so my primary keyboard sits at my desk at work all the time, and at home I almost always just use my macbook pro as it's too awkward to connect an external board to it given my usage patterns.

Some guys at work transport their boards back and forth every day and I'd never do the same, for one, I'm too clumsy and would damage it in transit.

My wife uses a model F 122 at work and sits a couple of desks over from me, so however loud what I use is, it's very unlikely that I'd get complaints first.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 16:48:58 »
I love clicky switches, unfortunately. So i can't really bring my vintage mx blue or box white to work, I share my office with 4 others. So using a different keyboard to work is kind of a must. And i have found that using two different kb does not really matter much, at least to me.

Offline SDS604

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 20:23:59 »
I just a wireless VM01WS with Brown style switches at work, coincidentally I also do not give a **** about my co-workers.  :cool:

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:42:55 »
I have my own office so I can bring my keyboards to work and they’re safe. I rotate mine every few months. Right now I’m using a Jer Mini with ePBT 9009 and ink switches so it’s relatively quiet and good for an office environment. I’m having a hard time landing on something to rotate in since I love the Jer so much.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 08:57:12 »
My current job has me in an open semi-cubicle area with others, so when I brought my Unicomp M in, it was a mix of people enjoying it and outright hating it. Eventually I was asked to leave it at home, and switched back to a Rubber Dome.

However I do have the option soon of getting a dedicated Office, so I plan on bringing it back then. Otherwise I may buy a Cherry Silent black or Red to make up for the blah keyfeel on my rubber dome at work.

But if I had all the power, and everyone had to just like groove on my mad typing noises, I'd bring a blue or buckling springs board in and leave it. (I'd rather have happy co-workers though.)

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow