Author Topic: [IC] iNETT Studio:SQUARE.X 60% Keyboard (Review and Build Stream Added, GB Soon)  (Read 76794 times)

Offline Simen

6/20/2020 Update

TaeKeyboard’s Review

Nathan’s Stream

First of all, we want to thank Nathan and Andrew for building and reviewing the prototypes for us. Due to shipping delays caused by the pandemic, the units that we shipped to them were round one prototypes. We have already completed another two rounds of prototyping and we have confirmed all the issues are fixed. We want to address some of the concerns that were brought up in the videos.

Q1: Why was the plate wobbling in Nathan’s stream?
A1: The prototype we shipped to Nathan was our round 1 prototype, which was not a complete sandwich mount and has the slots for gaskets. We have since changed the design of the plate and there will no longer be slots for gaskets like the ones on Nathan’s. The plate will be fully secure between the top and bottom cases.

Q2: Will QMK be supported?
A2: Yes, both QMK and VIA will be supported on SQUARE.X’s PCB designed by Astro. We haven’t uploaded the files yet because they are not finalized, but they will be before the GB ships.

Q3: Will you be changing the design of the USB port cut out?
A3: Unfortunately, we have already finalized the design and we won’t be making more design changes at this point.

Q4: Does the kit come with rubber feet?
A4: Yes, I will make sure to include them in the package. (I have no idea how I forgot to include those for them…)

Finally, we want to thank you all for waiting this long for the GB. It took so long because we want to make sure everything is as perfect as possible so you won’t be disappointed when you receive the keyboard. You can expect to see the GB opens up in a few days.

5/2/2020 Update

Hey everyone, how’s it going? Has been roughly 2 months since the last update, I hope you are all staying safe and still excited for this keyboard. Today I am going to share some photos of the prototypes and give an update on our current progress.

TLDR:
  • Added photos of the prototypes
  • Changed from gasket mount to sandwich mount
  • Added hot-swap PCB option
  • Reviews and Typing Tests coming soon!

The first reason that took us so long to give you an update is due to a delay of the prototypes caused by the pandemic. But the good news is that we finally got them and the quality of the machining and anodization are very satisfactory. Before getting the prototypes, I was worry about whether you would like SQUARE.X’s design, particularly on the uniqueness of the plate and the display of it around the keyboard. However, my worries all went away once I got the prototypes. This design is what defined the SQUARE.X. I am confident that you will be just as satisfied once you receive this keyboard.

Another reason that took us so long for an update is due to a structure change of the keyboard. Unfortunately, after various testing with the prototypes, the gaskets did not bring the anticipated feel to the keyboard and we have decided to change the mounting method to sandwich mount. We believe this change brings the best typing experience for this particular keyboard.

Due to overwhelming demand for hot-swap, we have added the option for hot-swap PCB.

Hot-swap PCB layout:

That’s it on the updates for now. Please enjoy the photos of the prototypes below. More to come on the next update along with GB info.

Oh, one last thing! It’s our honor to have Nathan (Taeha Types) and Andrew (TaeKeyboards) to do a review/steam of this keyboard. We are currently preparing the shipment to them, stay tuned for more details!

Photos of the SQAURE.X Prototypes:

Polished Chamfer:

More photos:

Original Post

Instagram:iNETT Studio [ Follow me to see the latest designs ]

Hello GeekHackers, this is Simen from iNETT STUDIO. Before introducing the new keyboard, I want to apologize to the buyers who joined the SQUARE 80 GB for not delivering the product on time. As a token of apology, people who joined the SQUARE 80 GB will receive a small gift when you join this group buy of SQUARE.X 60.

Introduction:

This time we will be bringing you the "X" in the SQUARE series by iNETT STUDIO. The SQUARE series share some very defining characteristics. We spent a lot of time to refine the design of SQUARE.X 60 so that it stands out as a unique product, yet similar enough to be recognized as one of the SQUAREs. We started designing this keyboard since October 2019. After countless modifications and revisions, we came up with three versions of the keyboard before finally deciding on the current design which we are very satisfied with. To achieve a more unique appearance, we will be adjusting some details such as implementing thinner side cutouts, narrower side bezels, and a slightly taller forehead.

We are very glad to see that users are paying more attention to the typing feel rather than focusing solely on the appearance of the keyboard. The 4mm thick plate that was used in other SQUARE series will be reduced to 1.5mm, with half plate as an option. SQUARE.X 60 will also be the first in the series to adopt the gasket-mount system. The left and right side of the plate are held in place by the upper and lower cases, whereas the top and bottom of the plate are suspended and supported by rubber strip gaskets that can reduce vibration. Thanks to Luis from iLumkb, we gained valuable insights on utilizing gaskets. We will be testing gaskets of different harnesses for the perfect typing feel once the prototype is made.

If you are interested with SQUARE.X , please take 1 minute to fill IC Form

Features:
  • Mounting Method: Gasket (Hardness to be determined)
  • Layout: WKL, WK, HHKB
  • Type Angle: 7 Degree
  • PCB: Type-C, QMK Programmable, Per Key RGB, Underglow (designed and supported by astro)
Case color:
  • Anodized color:black, blue, red, dark green
  • E-color:white
Plate color:
  • Anodized color:black, red, dark green, blue
  • E-color:white、yellow

Layout:

Top View:

Side view:

Structure and Details:
(LEDs for underglow will come pre-installed, but they are not shown in these images. Underglow will only show with PC bottom)
With 1.5mm full plate

With 1.5mm half plate

PCB:

Color Options:

PC Version:

Polished Chamfer Renders:
The last unique feature of the SQUARE.X 60 is the option to add Polished Chamfer to bring more elegance to the keyboard. Personally, I think this is the highlight of the keyboard which requires delicate manufacturing. This kind of chamfer is not very common in realm of keyboards, and we will show case this more once the prototype is made. I am sure you would love this feature as much as I do!

So much for the rendering, stay tuned for photos of the prototype!

Q&A:
  • Q1: Hot-swap PCB?
    A1: Still under consideration, but unlikely. Due multiple layouts, it’s hard to accommodate everyone with hot-swap. The thinner 1.5mm plate may also influence the typing feel when used with hot-swap.
  • Q2: Lead time?
    A2: Maybe 3-5 months after the GB has ended. Due to coronavirus and the complex design of this keyboard, we don’t have an exact answer at this time.
  • Q3: When can we see a prototype? And the price?
    A3: The prototype is being manufactured and we are expecting it by the end of the month, possibly sooner. The price is $350 before PayPal fees and shipping.
  • Q4: Limited group buy?
    A4: Limited by time but not limited by quantity. All available options will be shared before the GB.
  • Q5: Brass plate and weight?
    A5: There will be a survey question for this. Let us know if you want this as an option and we will consider adding them if there is enough interest.

Closing:
iNETT STUDIO has been around for more than a year now, thank you for all your support over the past year! We will continue to improve and refine our workmanship to make better keyboards, and we will gladly hear your comments and suggestions. Feel free to comment below or contact us at inett.studio@gmail.com.

Last but not least, may all of you have a good health during this coronavirus pandemic and good luck in the year of rat!

Peace & Love,
Simen

======================================================================================================
Stay tuned for the figure image and the sound test.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 00:46:00 by Simen »

Offline Simen

Re: [IC] iNETT Studio:SQUARE 'X' 60% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 22:01:43 »
Reserved.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 22:12:03 »
Would love to see a brass weight.

Offline Vigilaantee

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 22:30:33 »
super interested!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 22:39:00 »
Looks really good. Lovely design.

Offline fobbyal

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 22:49:55 »
looks great. IC form submitted

Offline pchoi

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 23:06:28 »
I wish the polycarb option didnt have the bottom 2 corners blacked out, and instead was full polycarb instead :/

Offline Simen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 23:20:00 »
super interested!

looks great. IC form submitted

Would love to see a brass weight.

Looks really good. Lovely design.

Thanks for your kindly support  :p

I wish the polycarb option didnt have the bottom 2 corners blacked out, and instead was full polycarb instead :/

As shown in the first image of PC version, there is no HHKB blocker from 60 Layout. Is it you want ?  :)

Offline proboy84

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 00:09:25 »
Take my money

Offline Yehuo.

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 00:43:18 »
I missed 80% of SQUARE, this time I don't want to miss it, this is my love! :-* :-* :-*

Offline badboy731

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 01:25:30 »
I like it. Cant wait to see proto
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline York Chan

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 09:47:06 »
非常好看,牛逼~~ :p

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 11:29:08 »
GLWS

Offline Jinnnxxu

• U only live once
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 12:13:28 »
Looking forward to the combination of PC and aluminum!!
Ins: Jinnnxxu     Discord:Jinnnxxu#9644    
Exclusive: E8V1 | E7V1 x14 | E7-VX | E6V2 x1 | E6V2 PE x7 | E6.5 x9 | E7SE x3 | E8.5 x5
Matrix: 1.0RE | 1.2RE | Abel | Abel+ | Cain | 2.0 x8 | 2.2 x8 | Abel-x x4 | M6 x2 | 1.2OG x15 | Project F x2 | 2.0AD x15 | Noah x3 | Mr. Hat x3 | 2.0VK x1
Rama: M60-A x4 | M65-A x2 | M6-A 88edition | M6-B | KOYU x3 | M60-A SEQ2 X4 | M6-C x2 | U80 x5 | M10-C | M6-C | M60 LNY x2 | M60 Olivia x2 | M65-B x5
FOX: Leaf 80 x4 | Leaf 60 x4 | Key65 x5      TGR:Jane V2 | 910RE | Jane V2 CE x2     Percent: Canoe x3 | Maze x2 | Skog lite | Canoe FE x2
Others: Mira SE x2 | Jermini | C225 x2 | INETT Cross x2 | Kira 80 | Kira 60 | Zephyr 65 R2 | Space 65 x2 | Volcano 660 x3 | INETT Square80 x4 | INETT Square68 x6 | FMJ 80 x2 | Keycult No.2 x1 | Thermal x2

Offline yhs

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 13:42:05 »
Interesting!

Offline skrunk

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 14:27:39 »
do you have any wkl renders?
Past Keyboards : LZ CLS, Unikorn, Noxary X65, KFE CE, HHKB Pro2, Realforce TKL

Current Keyboards: FC660C, HHKB Pro1, GSKT-00

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 14:34:54 »
do you have any wkl renders?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100540.0

You can get an idea of what it looks like from the SQUARE 80.

Offline pchoi

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 19:39:02 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2020, 19:44:02 by pchoi »

Offline pchoi

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 19:44:24 »

As shown in the first image of PC version, there is no HHKB blocker from 60 Layout. Is it you want ?  :)
[/quote]

Hello! No I was talking about the 2 polycarbonate HHKB pictures. You see how the bottom 2 corners are either black or yellow, I wish that the corners were instead the same matte polycarb color as the rest of the case (but still hhkb format). But that might just be part of the design you are unable to edit

Offline catamscott

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 23:17:32 »
loved the square 80 design but 4mm plate seemed a little too thick, love that this will be offered at 1.5 with half plate option. will try my best to get in on this  :D very excited

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 01:28:25 »
I still haven't built my Square 80, but this is looking like another hit. Although I do hate how you guys make the branding so large, at least the implementation is leagues better than how it was on the Square 80. Can't wait for this to come out. Not the biggest 60% fan, but this one of the ones I feel like I need in my life.

Offline wing1098

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 01:28:44 »
coolllllllllllll  :p :p :p

Offline demonahz

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 08:32:22 »
I really like what I see :)

Offline Simen

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:12:55 »
I really like what I see :)
I am so glad you can like him :thumb:

Offline Simen

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:13:17 »

Offline Simen

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:14:37 »
I still haven't built my Square 80, but this is looking like another hit. Although I do hate how you guys make the branding so large, at least the implementation is leagues better than how it was on the Square 80. Can't wait for this to come out. Not the biggest 60% fan, but this one of the ones I feel like I need in my life.
Believe me I will do better and better, so stay tuned :thumb:

Offline Simen

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:19:46 »
loved the square 80 design but 4mm plate seemed a little too thick, love that this will be offered at 1.5 with half plate option. will try my best to get in on this  :D very excited
Thank you very much i believe you will like it. :thumb:

Offline rikercd

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:46:49 »
I like this keyboard. I would like to buy this keyboard.

Offline Simen

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 23:36:41 »
I like this keyboard. I would like to buy this keyboard.
:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Simen

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 23:37:16 »
GLWS
Thank you very much my good friend :thumb:

Offline Mtalbert

• ???
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 23:43:57 »
Nice design. Gl with gb. lilizi~
Big fan of Daeru

Offline DAzz

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 04:09:01 »
like it. buy it

Offline sumbody

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 05:14:42 »
Would love to see how the Alu Top and PC bottom prototype look especially with the underglow.

Offline beekey

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 07:19:23 »
Would love to see split space support. Nice design.  :thumb:

Offline thethomaszhou

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 19:39:39 »

I know these are just renders, but does anyone know of any similar keycap sets to this one? I know GMK Lunar is similar-ish, but I'm not sure if I'm 100% down to buy that set or not yet.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:58:43 »
Show Image

I know these are just renders, but does anyone know of any similar keycap sets to this one? I know GMK Lunar is similar-ish, but I'm not sure if I'm 100% down to buy that set or not yet.

Probably Heavy Industry.

Also, really liking the look of this board. I think I'm set on a 60%, but we'll see.

Offline Simen

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 11:27:17 »
Show Image

Probably Heavy Industry.

Also, really liking the look of this board. I think I'm set on a 60%, but we'll see.
Thanks so much for all the kind compliments. We are more than pleased with the progress of of this project at the moment. More amazing photos of prototypes to come! :thumb:

Offline Simen

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 11:27:47 »
Would love to see split space support. Nice design.  :thumb:
We are very grateful for your commendation but split spacebar is unlikely to be an option in this group buy.  :D

Offline Simen

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 11:28:23 »
like it. buy it
Thanks for the support :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 15:56:40 »
Interested, but could you explain a bit how the gasket would actually work with this kind of design?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline hkiri

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 16:04:22 »
Totally missed this - the PC version is nice!

Offline Simen

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:44:38 »
Interested, but could you explain a bit how the gasket would actually work with this kind of design?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

There are tabs on the top and bottom of the plate where the gaskets will come in contact with.

Offline Simen

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:47:03 »
Totally missed this - the PC version is nice!

You haven't missed it yet! Please fill out the form if you haven't, we will send out notifications when GB starts!

Offline sozo

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 01:07:25 »
Can we mix and match the top/bottom housing??

Offline Dumpling

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:00:06 »
Amazing design but how can i buy??

Offline Simen

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 19:10:49 »
Can we mix and match the top/bottom housing??
Currently you can only pick different colors for plate and case.

Offline Simen

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 19:11:42 »
Amazing design but how can i buy??
Stay tuned when the becomes available in the next month or two! Fill out the Google survey if you haven't done so already  :thumb:

Offline Exemplar

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 23:42:25 »
Is there any projected weight metric for this?
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 00:02:56 »
Well this definitely has my attention. Looking great so far!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Simen

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 02:32:03 »
Is there any projected weight metric for this?

No estimated weight yet, but we will weight it once we get the prototype