Author Topic: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 100% complete  (Read 122622 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 60% complete
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 13:25:01 »
So I was able to fix up my V60 mini with the judicious application of a little glue and very careful re-casing. The Recognizer key in the L-Ctrl position sits higher than the other keys after the gluing. The stabilized keys sit a little higher because of the binding issue with the stab wires. But I was able to set the DIP switches the way I want and the keyboard works fine, though the lack of full key travel on the Return key feels odd.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Looks pretty sweet.  Glad you were able to get it fixed up!

Offline zslane

« Reply #451 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 14:22:09 »
Between the aluminum Lambo case and the sorbothane strips, it weighs a ton too. It's kinda awesome.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 100% complete
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 21:14:44 »
All orders have been packed and shipped. If you haven't gotten a shipping notice and think you should have, please email me (thevankeyboards@gmail.com) with your order number and I can take a look.

Thank you everyone for the support and helping to make this set a reality! 

I have tons of alps compat kits left. If you bought an alps base and would like to pick up a compat kit they are available on the site.

« Reply #453 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 08:29:10 »
Congrats on a smooth GB and thanks for all your hard work!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #454 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:02:24 »
Can anyone take an picture of the underside of a Alps mount ISO enter please? I am trying to put my board together on a tight timescale for a meetup and need to get the switches installed!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:08:32 by the pokemon kid »

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #455 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:05:44 »
All orders have been packed and shipped. If you haven't gotten a shipping notice and think you should have, please email me (thevankeyboards@gmail.com) with your order number and I can take a look.

I have tons of alps compat kits left. If you bought an alps base and would like to pick up a compat kit they are available on the site.

Any MX leftovers?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:30:19 »

Any MX leftovers?

a few, I want to let everyone get their orders and take care of any issues/replacements that come up before listing them.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #457 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 13:40:42 »

Any MX leftovers?

a few, I want to let everyone get their orders and take care of any issues/replacements that come up before listing them.

Sounds good!  :thumb:
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #458 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 18:33:15 »
So I was able to fix up my V60 mini with the judicious application of a little glue and very careful re-casing. The Recognizer key in the L-Ctrl position sits higher than the other keys after the gluing. The stabilized keys sit a little higher because of the binding issue with the stab wires. But I was able to set the DIP switches the way I want and the keyboard works fine, though the lack of full key travel on the Return key feels odd.

It looks great, if that's any consolation.  You did a great job in the looks department.

Offline zslane

« Reply #459 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 18:40:48 »
Thanks! I had a feeling that LightCycle + Lambo case would be a winning combination.

I think it will end up being a pretty usable keyboard once my new USB->Bluetooth converter arrives...

Offline Kavik

« Reply #460 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 11:12:28 »
DSA Lightcycle is out for delivery!!! I know what I'm doing when I get home from work!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 11:17:27 »
Argh!  ...The torment!  I won't get mine until MONDAY!  It's gonna be a looooong weekend.   :))
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline ac2531

« Reply #462 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 15:47:21 »

Caps arrived this morning! I drilled out the stabs on my 87u, now I need to figure out the spacebar situation.
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 16:01:01 »
Show Image

Caps arrived this morning! I drilled out the stabs on my 87u, now I need to figure out the spacebar situation.

That looks amazing

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #464 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 16:16:52 »
You should run GMK LightCycle :O. I need tron keps

Edit: ooops sp
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 August 2017, 16:27:46 by Amnesia »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #465 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 16:21:50 »
You should run GMK Lightspeed :O. I need tron keps

I'm thinking about it. I might go straight to XYZ LightCycle though ;)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 16:29:34 »
I would buy 2-3 of any tron themed GMK set.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #467 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 19:22:30 »
I managed to seat ten caps before breaking a stem.  :(

I've been cutting and/or sanding the stems with good results, taking each one off after seating it to make sure I've shaved it down enough that it comes back out easily. I might try making the stems shorter too. I think part of the weakness is that they are a tad too long and also unsupported (no cross support at the base like the tai hao caps).

I disassembled the switch and am currently trying to get the stem out of the slider so that I might save the switch and possibly cap.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #468 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 19:47:55 »
I managed to seat ten caps before breaking a stem.  :(

I've been cutting and/or sanding the stems with good results, taking each one off after seating it to make sure I've shaved it down enough that it comes back out easily. I might try making the stems shorter too. I think part of the weakness is that they are a tad too long and also unsupported (no cross support at the base like the tai hao caps).

I disassembled the switch and am currently trying to get the stem out of the slider so that I might save the switch and possibly cap.

Damnit, dude that sucks.  I'm so scared to put mine on.  Suppposes to get them tomorrow.  I don't need to ever remove them, but I'm sure I won't get the stabilizers right on the forst try.  I guess I'll just shave them down a lot.  Rather them fall off than break.  I suppose if you shave too much you could try the plastic wrap trick like with loose stabilizer inserts

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #469 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 19:57:31 »
I guess you could order blanks from PMK to replace broken caps if worse come to worse

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #470 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 20:56:18 »
So is there anyone out there using the alps kits on Matias switches that hasn't broken the caps?  If so, speak up  :D

At this point I'm actually considering picking up an alps64 PCB and some old alps switches. At least then I wouldn't  have to worry about getting the stabilizers bent correctly with only one shot.  Are we certain that the fit issue is only with Matias switches?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #471 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 21:24:57 »
So is there anyone out there using the alps kits on Matias switches that hasn't broken the caps?  If so, speak up  :D

At this point I'm actually considering picking up an alps64 PCB and some old alps switches. At least then I wouldn't  have to worry about getting the stabilizers bent correctly with only one shot.  Are we certain that the fit issue is only with Matias switches?

They fit perfect on cherry stabs

Offline Kavik

« Reply #472 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 22:39:20 »

I managed to get the broken stem out of the slider. I had to squish the end of the stem that was sticking out with pliers to yank it out. I sanded off the squished part and have glued it back to the keycap. The stem is shorter now, but hopefully it'll still work once the glue is dry.

Regarding Matias switches, as long as you cut enough and completely smooth out the corners, you should be able to feel that the cap isn't going to get stuck as you push it in. If it sticks too much, don't push it down all the way and pull it back out to work on it some more. Trust me: you won't have to worry about their being too loose. They'll still be tight in there but removable (make sure you pull straight up and don't wiggle them when removing them).

One word of caution: certain caps have very susceptible stems that will break/bend even when you apply pressure to cut or sand them. It appears to be related to the amount of the second shot plastic; examples are the number row keys since they have two legends requiring more second shot plastic (my theory at least).

Hope that helps.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #473 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 02:38:20 »
I'm happy to report that I'm about 3/4 through the process of shaving the stems.  Once I got used to the process it's gone faster.  I'm confident the caps are not too tight.  However... holy balls, the stabilizers are a nightmare.  I managed to finally get one about 90% right after an hour. 

I would just tell anyone planning to put these on a V60 to avoid it.  I mean, I'm up for a challenge, but I have many other precious boards if this goes South.  Ha

The only problem I have has so far besides the stabilizers is the light cycle caps novelty.  Apparently the stem is like 1/2 a mm shifted to the left, so the cap rubs on the edge of my v60. This doesn't happen when i use the Regular caps lock key, so I'll probably just use that one

I agree with Kavik that some of the stems are just weak.  You can feel them flex just by pushing on them. So, be careful, kiddos.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 02:39:54 by reececonrad »

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:28:03 »
Got my caps earlier than expected.  Deepest thanks to evangs for running this GB; smooth as a GB should be, and the product came out amazing

Went ahead and filled out my new gaming daily-driver:  iKBC F87, modded plate to fit inside a Lambo 87 shell and modded shell to fit the F87's USB breakout connector on bottom side of deck.  RGB Blacks desoldered and stem-swapped with Silent Blacks along with SPRiT 65g springs, and lubed.

Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #475 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:41:53 »
I'm on hour 8 of keycap finagling.  It's still on track for being perfect, but I still haven't tackled the right shift stabilizer.  A couple of things I have discovered on these alps caps:

The problem with using costar stabilizer inserts is that they are too tall. You cannot ever get the keycap seated all the way down bc they bottom out first.  To fix this, spend an hour or so shaving about 1/2 of the insert backing off.  Works like a charm now.  I'm talking about the rectangle section of the stab insert.  Shave the thick back side down. 

The way they double shot the larger mods leaves a ridge running under one cruciform post.  This usually wouldn't be an issue,  BUT, bc of the previous issue, it's really easy to see that one side of the modifier sticks up higher.  Easy solution, hold insert  with pliers a shave the cruciform stem to make it shorter.

Wish me luck.  Should be done tomorrow and I'll post pics!

Offline Shados

« Reply #476 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 19:00:09 »
The way they double shot the larger mods leaves a ridge running under one cruciform post.  This usually wouldn't be an issue,  BUT, bc of the previous issue, it's really easy to see that one side of the modifier sticks up higher.  Easy solution, hold insert  with pliers a shave the cruciform stem to make it shorter.

Just so you know, they actually double-shot MX DSA caps the same way, at least for the left shift key.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 19:50:46 »

Just so you know, they actually double-shot MX DSA caps the same way, at least for the left shift key.

Figured they did.  It's a bit disappointing that they try to cut corners even with custom orders.  And in this case it actually effects the functionality of the keycap.  I'm happy with this set just because I love Tron and I love this colorway.

Offline zslane

« Reply #478 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 22:22:18 »
I didn't bother applying a stabilizer wire to the right Shift key. I don't use it, so the fact that it isn't perfectly stabilized is something I'll never notice.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #479 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 23:45:47 »

This is my biggest complaint with the DSA profile by SP. they need to fix the 2xx stabilized keys. I've noticed that bar running through the stabilizer mount on multiple sets.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #480 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 00:05:50 »
just got these installed on my keyboard.  it's my first DSA set and i'm honestly enjoying typing on them more than i expected to.  do they usually have this rough finish to them?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 02:12:34 »
just got these installed on my keyboard.  it's my first DSA set and i'm honestly enjoying typing on them more than i expected to.  do they usually have this rough finish to them?

Yes. Im glad you're going enjoying them!

Offline zslane

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:44:56 »

Yes, that is SP's matte finish and it is typical of DSA sets.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 19:05:29 »
I'm happy to report that I'm about 3/4 through the process of shaving the stems.  Once I got used to the process it's gone faster.  I'm confident the caps are not too tight.  However... holy balls, the stabilizers are a nightmare.  I managed to finally get one about 90% right after an hour. 

I would just tell anyone planning to put these on a V60 to avoid it.  I mean, I'm up for a challenge, but I have many other precious boards if this goes South.  Ha

The only problem I have has so far besides the stabilizers is the light cycle caps novelty.  Apparently the stem is like 1/2 a mm shifted to the left, so the cap rubs on the edge of my v60. This doesn't happen when i use the Regular caps lock key, so I'll probably just use that one

I agree with Kavik that some of the stems are just weak.  You can feel them flex just by pushing on them. So, be careful, kiddos.

How did you go about adjusting the stabilizer wires? I tried Zslane's suggestion on the enter key's stab wire, but the problem is twofold: 1. the ends of the wire now contact the switch, so they don't go down to the plate and 2. the extra bend in the joint doesn't allow the wire to snap into the stab mount on the plate because it's designed for a 90 degree bend. I'm not sure if the ends of the wires are low enough anyway after the modification.

I tried using a wire from a Cherry MX costar stab, but they're significantly shorter side-to-side, so it doesn't even reach the stab mounts. I'm really not sure how to get the stabilized keys on here. I'm doing this on a V80, so I'm assuming it's the same as a V60.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #484 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 19:13:02 »
First I straightened the top bends of the stabilizers.   Then I rebent them at a shorter height.  I had to clip a very small amount off of each end to keep it from hitting the switch, as you have noticed for yourself. 

It helps to have two sets of pliers in hand, one of them needle nosed to help with bends.  They are a ***** to cut.  I think I ruined my cutters they were so hard. 

Only have 3 caps left to put on.  Of course now the T key has developed serious chatter...  all the luck. I tried to disassemble and fix it but it didn't really help.  Now I'm in the process of swapping it out with the right alt key since I don't use it much.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #485 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 19:49:22 »
First I straightened the top bends of the stabilizers.   Then I rebent them at a shorter height.  I had to clip a very small amount off of each end to keep it from hitting the switch, as you have noticed for yourself. 

It helps to have two sets of pliers in hand, one of them needle nosed to help with bends.  They are a ***** to cut.  I think I ruined my cutters they were so hard. 

Only have 3 caps left to put on.  Of course now the T key has developed serious chatter...  all the luck. I tried to disassemble and fix it but it didn't really help.  Now I'm in the process of swapping it out with the right alt key since I don't use it much.

Ah, that makes sense. I will try that. I will try using a dremel to cut the end of the wire instead of wire cutters.

My V80 developed chatter on the left arrow key a few months back. Since it was under warranty, I sent it back, and it took like six weeks to get back.  :confused: Should've just ordered some Matias switches. Anyway, that's one reason I want to make sure these caps are removable. I don't plan on taking them off, but I may need to service the keyboard in the future.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:45:45 »
Okay, got her done.  Man, what a challenge.  Totally worth it though.  DSA is my favorite profile and it feels SO much better than the OEM Tai Hao profile.  Thanks for making this set a reality, Evangs.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/FeekM

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 08:45:33 »
Okay, got her done.  Man, what a challenge.  Totally worth it though.  DSA is my favorite profile and it feels SO much better than the OEM Tai Hao profile.  Thanks for making this set a reality, Evangs.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/FeekM

damn that end result though! very nice board it looks wonderful. Thanks for the support and helping to make this set a reality  ;D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:54:07 »

Ah, that makes sense. I will try that. I will try using a dremel to cut the end of the wire instead of wire cutters.

My V80 developed chatter on the left arrow key a few months back. Since it was under warranty, I sent it back, and it took like six weeks to get back.  :confused: Should've just ordered some Matias switches. Anyway, that's one reason I want to make sure these caps are removable. I don't plan on taking them off, but I may need to service the keyboard in the future.

I got all the stabilized keys on. It was a pain, but all of them function pretty well except for the left shift. I really screwed up the wire on that one, so it feels mushy. Since the cherry stab stems/slider/male ends (?) fit loosely (they fell out once on the board), I cut small squares of ziplock bag to put between the cap and stab stem/slider to make the fit more snug.

In retrospect, I think it may have been easier to modify the ALPS stab stem/slider to fit in the MX cap stem by shaving it down to be thinner. I think that may have worked for all the keys except the right shift.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:14:35 »
I wondered about trying to mod the alps stabs.  Glad you got it done.  Matias sells extra stabilizer sets if you want to try to fix the mushy one

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:44:17 »
Just messing around with my two favorite sets until R2 Norbauer ships out...

More http://imgur.com/a/NiYTR
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 14:21:10 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #492 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 14:22:54 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #493 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 16:16:32 »
Is that the TKL version of the Lambo case?

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #494 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 16:21:55 »
Is that the TKL version of the Lambo case?

Looks like it.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 17:08:07 »
sure is!  filco with 65gram zealios inside of it.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:03:40 »
Finally finished my V80MTS: http://imgur.com/a/aydYf

Thanks Evangs for helping me out with my keycap troubles, and thanks for putting together such a damned good looking set! I love it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much DSA changes the sound and feel of the Matias clicks for the better vs the Tai Haos that it came with.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:13:44 by Kavik »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:05:41 »
Finally finished my V80MTS: http://imgur.com/a/aydYf

Thanks Evangs for helping me out with my keycap troubles, and thanks for putting together such a damned good looking set! I love it.

Looks great!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #498 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 02:53:32 »
Were international orders declared at full value and had an invoice inside? I just want to make sure I don't look like an idiot when I'll have to pick it up.

Offline dante

« Reply #499 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 10:12:01 »
So if I understand correctly if you buy Matias wires/stabilizer pack you don't have to do any wire surgery to get these to work?