Author Topic: Modding w/ Gateron/Kailh  (Read 1313 times)

Offline christpunchers

Modding w/ Gateron/Kailh
« on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 19:40:26 »
Allow me to describe what I'm looking for: I've been using the Corsair Rapidfire K70 keyboard with MX Speed switches for 8 months. Before this board, I had the Steelseries 7G MX Black keyboard. I went with the K70 Speed because I found the Black to be tiring after awhile, though I appreciate how it performs in FPS (never had an unintentional keystroke!).

However the MX Speed is a bit too light for me. Sometimes it's tough to rest my heavy fingers without sometimes activating a key unintentionally. Watching replays of myself in certain FPS games and other games, I find some unintentional movements and inputs here and there.

I had the Cherry MX Red many many years ago, and those felt mushy after awhile.

What would be ideal would be a switch that's in between the activation force of the MX Red (45g) and Black (60g). Maybe back to the "full" travel of the Red/Black instead of Speed. I think the best compromise I've found were the Gateron Yellow (50g), at least on paper. Failing that, maybe some sort of Kailh switch that requires higher force than the MX Red/Speed.

However I don't have any experience at all modding keyboards, soldering, or anything of that sort.

I would be very happy to employ someone's service in modifying a full Corsair keyboard such like the K70 (with the media keys and USB pass through) with the Gateron Yellow or a suitable Kailh variant. I'd be more than delighted to cover all costs upfront (cost of acquiring all the parts, labor, shipping, etc). Time isn't a huge factor.

Please let me know if anyone wants to help!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 19:42:32 by christpunchers »