Author Topic: [IC] PBT Toby  (Read 21681 times)

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Re: [IC] PBT Toby
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 13:04:35 »
So, I agree with most of the commenters in that I don't see the point of this set and I don't find it particularly funny. But there are plenty of keycap sets that have run that I don't get/don't find as funny as the people that like it, and that's fine. And I get that people can be overly serious, and even occasionally toxic. But this weird campaign of playing the victim because you made a set that you knew would be polarizing and it got a mixed response is really off-putting. I'm sorry that someone called your videos lazy and uninspired, and told you to go **** yourself. That's obviously too far. But when your whole marketing campaign around this set is about how it's some sort of bastion of freedom against the oppressive forces of this community, it's way more unattractive than the set itself.

More

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:05:32 »
PBT Toby is the gamestop of geekhack

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:40:15 »
So, I agree with most of the commenters in that I don't see the point of this set and I don't find it particularly funny. But there are plenty of keycap sets that have run that I don't get/don't find as funny as the people that like it, and that's fine. And I get that people can be overly serious, and even occasionally toxic. But this weird campaign of playing the victim because you made a set that you knew would be polarizing and it got a mixed response is really off-putting. I'm sorry that someone called your videos lazy and uninspired, and told you to go **** yourself. That's obviously too far. But when your whole marketing campaign around this set is about how it's some sort of bastion of freedom against the oppressive forces of this community, it's way more unattractive than the set itself.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

dis, man's speaking the language of the gods, common sense
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:43:14 »

I think that's fair, and no one has to like the set. But its slightly unfair to say my whole marketing campaign is playing the victim. (there's more to a marketing campaign then one rant on Instagram stories and mentioning that my post got maliciously reported) I'm making 100 sets of this, its not for money its for the meme. The sets will cost $~29 USD a kit to produce and I am aiming to sell them for $60-90 taking into account fees and logistics.

I'm not some martyr for keycap set design, I just have received a weird amount of hate and toxicity (twords me and not the set) for this and felt like calling it out. Mass flag reporting posts is not constructive feedback, and it's fair to document the odd toxic responses I've received so the community knows what's up. The point of this set was that it was not supposed to be made, but that I'm doing it because I'm a man of my word.

I do appreciate all the constructive feedback, and the people telling me they don't like it kinda rude, but fine, and not the hate I'm talking about.

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:13:22 »

I think that's fair, and no one has to like the set. But its slightly unfair to say my whole marketing campaign is playing the victim. (there's more to a marketing campaign then one rant on Instagram stories and mentioning that my post got maliciously reported) I'm making 100 sets of this, its not for money its for the meme. The sets will cost $~29 USD a kit to produce and I am aiming to sell them for $60-90 taking into account fees and logistics.

I'm not some martyr for keycap set design, I just have received a weird amount of hate and toxicity (twords me and not the set) for this and felt like calling it out. Mass flag reporting posts is not constructive feedback, and it's fair to document the odd toxic responses I've received so the community knows what's up. The point of this set was that it was not supposed to be made, but that I'm doing it because I'm a man of my word.

I do appreciate all the constructive feedback, and the people telling me they don't like it kinda rude, but fine, and not the hate I'm talking about.

In my experience keycap sets are never run at double or triple profit margin no matter how many account fees and logistics there are... if a set costs $29 per kit to produce (btw who are you using to produce this?) you should not be selling at $60-$90.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:18:07 »

In my experience keycap sets are never run at double or triple profit margin no matter how many account fees and logistics there are... if a set costs $29 per kit to produce (btw who are you using to produce this?) you should not be selling at $60-$90.

yeahhhhhh, the margins on most keycaps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than this. This is probably more than epbt margins.
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:35:37 »

yeahhhhhh, the margins on most keycaps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than this. This is probably more than epbt margins.

If he's serving as the vendor for the set as well, then the profit margin seems pretty normal (for the $60 price at least)

Most people run their sets through vendors who handle the bulk of the work.

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:45:52 by Ustinj »

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:45:26 »

If he's serving as the vendor for the set as well, then the profit margin seems pretty normal.

This right here, there's a very high chance that Toby himself, or me, will be serving as the vendor. This means that I am fronting the production costs and not having it financed by a group buy or vendor.

Also you guys might have confused profit margins with sale price which is a fair mistake. I am still paying for prototypes (currently costing $118USD for a prototype) and packaging, and will need to ship them as well. I would love for you guys to provide some concrete evidence of your claims if possible, it would actually help a lot for making things more transparent which is what I'm trying to do. Once the whole set is made, I will have a full write up about how I got it done, the factories I used, the processes and costs I went through etc. I hope it will help the community feel more confident to do things themselves. 

Anyways, I'm glad to talk about this more over on my discord, I tend to be in voice chat a lot over there.

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 16:18:23 »
I'm glad this won't clog the gmk queue.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 18:06:46 »

If he's serving as the vendor for the set as well, then the profit margin seems pretty normal.

This right here, there's a very high chance that Toby himself, or me, will be serving as the vendor. This means that I am fronting the production costs and not having it financed by a group buy or vendor.

Also you guys might have confused profit margins with sale price which is a fair mistake. I am still paying for prototypes (currently costing $118USD for a prototype) and packaging, and will need to ship them as well. I would love for you guys to provide some concrete evidence of your claims if possible, it would actually help a lot for making things more transparent which is what I'm trying to do. Once the whole set is made, I will have a full write up about how I got it done, the factories I used, the processes and costs I went through etc. I hope it will help the community feel more confident to do things themselves. 

Anyways, I'm glad to talk about this more over on my discord, I tend to be in voice chat a lot over there.

I do have quotes from GMK, and including the vendor cut, it is still not as big of a cut as what is currently being shown (i obviously can't tell you what the quotes are so you'll have to trust me a bit) But the fact that you will likely be your own vendor does bring up the margin by about double. So it says you will get the wholesale price is 30, and on the low end, you are planning for 60. That is a 100% markup. For GMK it's nowhere near that, it's less than 50 i can tell you that. I'd say 50 USD would be a fair price for the set because that is pretty much an 66% markup.

Offline scrps

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 15:20:17 »
toby looks like a cool guy but this is a hard no.

Offline blueredyellow

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 13:55:58 »
So is this set happening after all this quality feedback?

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 01:59:06 »
Protos should be arriving in a week, will share how they ended up soon! Expecting mixed results on the first proto run

Offline fredprinz21

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 00:17:13 »
Good luck with the Interest Check
For the night is dark and full of terrors.

Offline Juan.

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 15:36:28 »
please make this GMK, so i have to wait 1 year for it, the longer this stays away from me, the better.  :thumb:
rubber cup   

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 22:36:34 »
please make this GMK, so i have to wait 1 year for it, the longer this stays away from me, the better.  :thumb:

GMK Toby R2 Confirmed

Offline Zakar1ya

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:12:21 »

GMK Toby R2 Confirmed

Can we get JTK Toby, ePBT Toby, Geekark Toby, SA Toby etc etc until you run out of manus? I'm so excited for this set I am literally shaking

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 12:47:19 »
Keyreative run by Kono worldwide will have a better effect tho!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline s__pete

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 23:55:41 »
OMG  :eek: Keyboard Youtuber Inside Joke Set! I am laughing UPROARIOUSLY!!  :) :) :) :) And my   Bank Account is emptying of it's own volition!   :-X

Sent from my TELSTRA SP817 BIG BUTTON PHONE using Tapatalk 

Offline Keybjorn

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 00:25:11 »
Nothing against Toby, he seems nice but I haven't seen something this ugly since Glorious' keyboard division.

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 11:21:41 »
Wasn't this dead for like a year