Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4184576 times)

Offline jamster

Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #27900 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:24:25 »
Got up, started cycling to work.  A couple of miles in my mudguard started banging and for some reason I don't have my tool thing on me, usually do.  Turn round to waste more money on the train.  Buy ticket, wont llet me through.  Machine offered off peak ticket so me in an empty station took it - turns out it's peak.  Booth should open at 6 to sort refund just in time, 6:06 I give up and buy another ticket from the machine.

I've barely been up an hour and today has royally pissed me off.

I guess that on the bright side, it's the middle of what you folks call 'summer' over there, which I recall to be quite pleasant. If very short.

Those English winters are remarkably grim. I don't have fond memories of them.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #27901 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 02:36:03 »
I guess that on the bright side, it's the middle of what you folks call 'summer' over there, which I recall to be quite pleasant. If very short.

Don't talk to me of summer. We can't even complain about it because then we get ridiculed for being not used to the heat. It was 20°C overnight last night, high of 30°C today. It's bloody intolerable is what it is, give me winter any time. Houses in the UK are built with good isolation (for the most part) to keep the heat in, but are ****e at keeping it out.

That's what's bothering me. If I wanted moist muggy heat like this, I'd move to Texas. At least they have AC.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27902 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 05:48:13 »
That's what's bothering me. If I wanted moist muggy heat like this, I'd move to Texas. At least they have AC.

AC spreads Korona.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27903 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 06:58:39 »

Don't talk to me of summer. We can't even complain about it because then we get ridiculed for being not used to the heat. It was 20°C overnight last night, high of 30°C today. It's bloody intolerable is what it is, give me winter any time. Houses in the UK are built with good isolation (for the most part) to keep the heat in, but are ****e at keeping it out.

Completely agree, and we're no less entitled to moan about summer than the wimps are about the 'cold' of our winters.  At least they can wear more clothes - I can't take mine off!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27904 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 08:08:58 »

It was 20°C overnight last night

I think it was last summer that a record was set in Dubai = 109F/43C was the new high record daily *LOW* for Earth.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iri

« Reply #27906 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 14:43:03 »
Houses in the UK are built with good isolation (for the most part) to keep the heat in
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

No, they aren't.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #27907 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 14:56:22 »
Houses in the UK are built with good isolation (for the most part) to keep the heat in
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

No, they aren't.

Really depends where you live and the age of the building. Most houses built after the 70s are, in my experience, fairly well insulated. Last three places I’ve lived of that age were not cold during the winter and were chuffing boiling on hot days.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27908 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 20:16:30 »
You guys would love Thailand.  100% humidity 100F for MONTHS..

Offline jamster

« Reply #27909 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 21:58:21 »
I'm in something close to that already. Could definitely do parts of Thailand for several years. Even Bangkok is pretty doable with a decent amount of space- the heat is quite bearable with a breeze or proximity to the river.

Sigh, I do miss traveling. Just the past handful of threads brought back fond memories of winter mountain biking on the South Downs and camping in Scottish rains. I am going slightly crazy from lack of international travel options.

That does get me onto something that has been bothering me throughout all of this- the virus probably crossed over into humans from some incredibly dodgy animal source, eating bats, nightmarishly unhygienic butchering methods, who knows exactly, as the source country has a vested interest in keeping it vague. The thing is, I expect that nothing will change as a result of this- dodgy wildlife markets have already opened up again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2020, 22:02:33 by jamster »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27910 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 16:15:42 »
I'm bothered by recurrent acute pains in my upper stomach. When it had happened before this year it had passed within thirty minutes.
I went to the emergency room for it Tuesday night, when it was worse than usual and lasted longer. They took some tests but didn't find anything: wrote it off as acid. That day, I had taken ibuprofen for my wrist, so the theory was that it would have caused more acid than usual. Stared into the COVID ward next door. Got home at 6 in the morning.

Got it again tonight. Hurts like hell. I've got to be more careful. I haven't taken any ibuprofen: only diklofenak-cream directly on the wrist, to avoid the stomach. I've also had chocolate and juice. No more of that in the future!
But I'm afraid that it could be caused by something more nefarious such as cancer, that is yet to be diagnosed. I've read up that stomach pains, with acid reflux could get worse if there is an obstruction (such as a tumour) somewhere within the guts. I carry a hereditary increased risk of several types of cancer, including cancer in stomach and pancreas ... and that's a constant fear in the back of my head.
I've got a gastro-endoscopy coming up in two weeks (postponed since April because of COVID, and which I could have got pre-COVID back in February already if I hadn't been assigned a retard doctor back in December). I'm afraid of what it might reveal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2020, 16:18:12 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27911 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 18:16:03 »

I've got a gastro-endoscopy coming up in two weeks

I'm afraid of what it might reveal.

Whatever it reveals, it is better than not knowing - you will have a path forward at least.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27912 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:01:00 »
I'm in something close to that already. Could definitely do parts of Thailand for several years. Even Bangkok is pretty doable with a decent amount of space- the heat is quite bearable with a breeze or proximity to the river.

Sigh, I do miss traveling. Just the past handful of threads brought back fond memories of winter mountain biking on the South Downs and camping in Scottish rains. I am going slightly crazy from lack of international travel options.

That does get me onto something that has been bothering me throughout all of this- the virus probably crossed over into humans from some incredibly dodgy animal source, eating bats, nightmarishly unhygienic butchering methods, who knows exactly, as the source country has a vested interest in keeping it vague. The thing is, I expect that nothing will change as a result of this- dodgy wildlife markets have already opened up again.

Lucked out when Tp4 were touring south asia.

Buddy went , caught flesh eating bacteria, ICU for 2 weeks, hospitalized for 2 months.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27913 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 02:47:31 »
Still bothered by last week's e-mail (which I have thus far managed to avoid responding to) and the discussion which followed here.  I think it's the synchronicity - just as my 'new' job clicks and I no longer feel like a useless newbie the deficiencies is the other aspects of life get highlighted to ensure I can't be even superficially happy for a short time.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27914 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 19:39:42 »
Made a doc appointment on Monday for tomorrow. They call me with less than 24hr notice today to reschedule, put me on hold for 35 mins, and not make it an in-person appointment but over the phone after I planned my entire day around it tomorrow. I tried to tell them a phone call is a waste of everyone's time because the doc needs to actually see the issue I'm coming in for, but nope.
This is why people pay for healthcare. I totally get it now, because free health care is complete ****.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27915 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 22:03:09 »
I'm on the mend, but I somehow pulled my intercostal muscles for the third time in the last two years or so - this time in a different part of the rib cage. Sleeping was misery since every breath hurt. The only thing I can think of that could have caused it was a sneeze  :rolleyes:
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27916 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 00:03:32 »
Made a doc appointment on Monday for tomorrow. They call me with less than 24hr notice today to reschedule, put me on hold for 35 mins, and not make it an in-person appointment but over the phone after I planned my entire day around it tomorrow. I tried to tell them a phone call is a waste of everyone's time because the doc needs to actually see the issue I'm coming in for, but nope.
This is why people pay for healthcare. I totally get it now, because free health care is complete ****.

Woah woah woah, OKOKOK..  You're saying,  Tp4, Buy Teledoc [TDOC], they recently purchased Livongo Health..

Offline jamster

« Reply #27917 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 00:14:17 »

Sounds like a total shambles. Which country is this for?

(Practically free healthcare in every country I've lived in has generally been really good).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27918 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 00:32:32 »
My phone is all but dead.  Speaker went ages ago so have to use headphones to call anyone, if I'm lucky it makes noise or vibrates once when I get a call or text but most of the time it doesn't bother, and the screen doesn't even turn on - sometimes no notification at all.  This behaviour is spreading to the alarm which I use to get up for work.  Also I'm lucky if I can click three links without the browser crashing.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #27919 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 02:57:21 »
What if I told you there is free healthcare where you can actually see the doctor?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27920 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 03:11:47 »
I have never had a smartphone. I have been following the smartphone news since January to find a good model that could replace my 2G mobile phone and my broken point-and-shoot camera.
But they are all pretty s**t.

Why the hell spend >$1000 on something that needs your constant attention (I consider charging it every day to be in need of constant attention), will spy on you and lasts a maximum of three years by design ... unless you break it, which they do if you happen to fumble and drop it, despite it being supposed to be carried around with you all the time. I could go on and on about smartphone trends, "waterfall" screens, four-camera setups, removal of the headphone jack and so on.
This is totally messed up... How can people in their right minds accept this as normal!?

I have several wired phones. My speakerphone is from the early '90s and works flawlessly. A PC from twenty years ago can still run the latest version of MS Windows, or the latest version of some Linux variant and be up to date. My five year old Windows tablet was cheaper than what is considered "budget smartphone", and works well.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #27921 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 03:34:56 »
A PC from twenty years ago can still run the latest version of MS Windows, or the latest version of some Linux variant and be up to date.

I know you’re hyperbolising, but I have to take issue with this - Windows 10 requires NX bit support in processors, which didn’t start until the Prescott generation Pentium 4s in 2004. Even then, while you could run Windows 10 on a Pentium 4 provided you had enough RAM, you wouldn’t have a very nice experience.

My five year old Windows tablet was cheaper than what is considered "budget smartphone", and works well.

Tell that to the 3 year old ‘top end’ Dell Venue tablet I have from work, which barely responds.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27922 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 04:01:43 »
What if I told you there is free healthcare where you can actually see the doctor?

That would be the life, eh?

Offline iri

« Reply #27923 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 04:17:03 »
Why the hell spend >$1000 on something that needs your constant attention (I consider charging it every day to be in need of constant attention), will spy on you and lasts a maximum of three years by design ... unless you break it, which they do if you happen to fumble and drop it, despite it being supposed to be carried around with you all the time. I could go on and on about smartphone trends, "waterfall" screens, four-camera setups, removal of the headphone jack and so on.
I have a 3.5 years old £134 Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro that lasts 6 day on a single charge, doesn't spy on me much because it runs LineageOS, doesn't have a waterfall display, has two cameras and definitely features the headphone jack. Three years ago I dropped it on rocks to prove to someone that the screen will not crack. It cracked. But the phone is still in a perfectly useable condition.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27924 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 06:43:48 »
I have a 3.5 years old £134 Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro that lasts 6 day on a single charge, doesn't spy on me much because it runs LineageOS, doesn't have a waterfall display, has two cameras and definitely features the headphone jack. Three years ago I dropped it on rocks to prove to someone that the screen will not crack. It cracked. But the phone is still in a perfectly useable condition.
Phones are mostly a joke, mine's a Sony Xperia X which was the smallest available at the time which can run Sailfish.  It has a hard life in a CNC workshop and the rust in the speaker mesh can only be called my fault.  It can do 4 days if no waiting at the train station but usually gets charged every other day.  Has two cameras and a headphone jack, as will my next phone.  That or no cameras and no 'smart' depending what's available.  Still considering the f(x)tec pro 1 though it's huge, expensive and totally impractical.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27925 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 07:29:25 »

Phones are mostly a joke, mine's a Sony Xperia X which was the smallest available at the time which can run Sailfish.  It has a hard life in a CNC workshop and the rust in the speaker mesh can only be called my fault.  It can do 4 days if no waiting at the train station but usually gets charged every other day.  Has two cameras and a headphone jack, as will my next phone.  That or no cameras and no 'smart' depending what's available.  Still considering the f(x)tec pro 1 though it's huge, expensive and totally impractical.

I read that all the kewl kids got dat 1+ now

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27926 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 07:36:10 »

since January to find a good model that could replace my 2G mobile phone and my broken point-and-shoot camera.

On ebay you can get a new Google Pixel 3 for $200

Both of my kids and I have them. They are not the "latest and greatest" model but still quite robust and will survive quite a few years into the future.

I am kind of indifferent to all the details, but my college-age kids are acutely aware of how these devices integrate into the modern world since they spend most of their lives on them.

My daughter asked for one first, and a big part of her desire was because of the great camera.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27927 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 11:59:26 »

I read that all the kewl kids got dat 1+ now

The 6 (newest with Sailfish) has too many cameras, it's over six inches long and has stupid 'kewl' tiny bezels offering no protection to the screen... For that price and impracticality I'd just get a Pro 1 supporting the maker and gaining a proper keyboard which is better than covering half a stupidly hi-res screen with one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 12:25:35 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27928 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:26:29 »
It is genuinely weird people actually want bigger and bigger phones in the modern age. People literally pay hundreds more for an identical phone with less than half an inch more screen. Usually technology progresses to make portable things smaller and more efficient, but people have 'tv mentality' with phones where they equate bigger=better

also I'm on day 4 of trying to just set up an in-person doctor's visit. This shouldn't take 4 days of attempting to try and see a doctor, this is absolutely unacceptable and yet there's nothing at all I can do about it except keep calling and waiting on hold to try and convince someone who obviously doesn't care that a I need a doctor to actually SEE WITH EYES the issue. A phone appointment is a waste of everyone's time, and meanwhile I'm running a fever from the infection but that's still not good enough to actually see a doctor.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:30:18 by noisyturtle »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27929 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:00:10 »
Is there a university nearby? A university-related medical practice will generally accept any insurance plan, make themselves readily available, and even if you are seeing a resident you can be sure that there is experienced instructor nearby in backup.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27930 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 19:14:26 »
It is genuinely weird people actually want bigger and bigger phones in the modern age. People literally pay hundreds more for an identical phone with less than half an inch more screen. Usually technology progresses to make portable things smaller and more efficient, but people have 'tv mentality' with phones where they equate bigger=better

also I'm on day 4 of trying to just set up an in-person doctor's visit. This shouldn't take 4 days of attempting to try and see a doctor, this is absolutely unacceptable and yet there's nothing at all I can do about it except keep calling and waiting on hold to try and convince someone who obviously doesn't care that a I need a doctor to actually SEE WITH EYES the issue. A phone appointment is a waste of everyone's time, and meanwhile I'm running a fever from the infection but that's still not good enough to actually see a doctor.

It has to do with how much their life revolves around the phone. the size reduces eyestrain

I agree these kiz are kinda stupid,  Using Triple 65" Curved Tvs as monitors and having 0*Friends is Ideal.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27931 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 04:22:48 »
It is genuinely weird people actually want bigger and bigger phones in the modern age. People literally pay hundreds more for an identical phone with less than half an inch more screen.

Two generations after my fullsize Xperia X the XZ2 compact is 1/3" shorter and 1/5" narrower, yet 50% thicker.  Weighs more too, in exchange for a slightly bigger battery and an even wider screen res meaning you can see less with the keyboard up.  That was the last compact they'll make, unless you're in Japan.

Long ago I walked in to a phone shop and said I wanted a small phone with a joystick and left with a phone that was the opposite (Nokia 7110?)  Today I'm on the verge of doing the same thing as I want a 5" bouncy/waterproof phone with a big battery and 3:2 screen ratio but it doesn't exist so instead I'm considering buying an expensive 6" 2:1 with an extra lens, designed for life in an office.

I can't help thinking a modular phone shouldn't be that hard to make - a mainboard dealing with wireless at one end of the case, a port board (USB, 3.5mm) at the other end and a battery in the gap in the middle where a bigger screen means a bigger gap and battery so battery life is comparable.  You already need screws to hold the front/back on so why not a modular frame too?  Only problem would be if it acts as a Faraday cage...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27932 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 04:49:54 »
It is genuinely weird people actually want bigger and bigger phones in the modern age.
I don't think people want a bigger phone specifically. They want a new phone to be modern and up-to-date, and the industry trend and the smartphone press is saying that bigger screens are more modern.
Phones are getting bigger (and heavier) partly because batteries are getting bigger — and batteries are getting bigger because the industry is transitioning to 5G and 5G transceivers need more power. They can't have a noticeable difference in size between 4G and 5G models in the same generation or people would notice.

I see many women who prefer "smaller" "outdated sized" phones. They prefer these phones because they feel better in their smaller hands. Contrary to the apparent popular belief within the smartphone industry, women's fingers don't actually grow a couple mm with each phone generation ... :-þ

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #27933 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 05:05:36 »
I can't help thinking a modular phone shouldn't be that hard to make - a mainboard dealing with wireless at one end of the case, a port board (USB, 3.5mm) at the other end and a battery in the gap in the middle where a bigger screen means a bigger gap and battery so battery life is comparable.  You already need screws to hold the front/back on so why not a modular frame too?  Only problem would be if it acts as a Faraday cage...

You’d think, right?

Phonebloks looked really promising till Google got involved, made it Project Ara and then killed it. There are other companies like Fairphone that are making replaceable components though. Screens seem much harder though, because variable sized frames are much more difficult to deal with than standard ones I guess.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27934 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 06:17:53 »

You’d think, right?

Phonebloks looked really promising till Google got involved, made it Project Ara and then killed it. There are other companies like Fairphone that are making replaceable components though. Screens seem much harder though, because variable sized frames are much more difficult to deal with than standard ones I guess.

Phonebloks looks interesting but fixed size and Fairphone is a great idea, but the 3 is big and stupidly widescreen.  Seriously, what content is 2:1?  Or maybe they're supposed to be used portrait so you can leave a big section of phone sticking out for a passing thief to grab?  How few characters can you get on a line with a screen that narrow, scroll scroll scroll...

In my simple mind there's not much difference in the height of 5" wide and 6" stupid wide and a 4.5" could be padded with extra protection to the same size.  So the wireless end frame should be around this size square, the port end frame would directly attach to it to make it 5" and an extra section could be added for stupid wide.  Also need to fit in PCB(s?) for LCD driver and touch interface.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27935 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 08:11:59 »
Phonebloks looks interesting but fixed size and Fairphone is a great idea, but the 3 is big and stupidly widescreen.  Seriously, what content is 2:1?

Most movies are near 2:1

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27936 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 08:31:21 »
Phonebloks looks interesting but fixed size and Fairphone is a great idea, but the 3 is big and stupidly widescreen.  Seriously, what content is 2:1?

Compared to a 16:9 screen you lose height physically and don't gain width because the ratio is wrong - your movie is smaller on the same size screen.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27937 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 10:39:26 »
Compared to a 16:9 screen you lose height physically and don't gain width because the ratio is wrong - your movie is smaller on the same size screen.

Playback software can scale and crop as can youtube, in most cases, it's significantly bigger.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27938 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 06:22:30 »

Playback software can scale and crop as can youtube, in most cases, it's significantly bigger.
Was going to argue that 8% in area wasn't a big enough increase to justify the battery required to chop the top and bottom off and make pixel mapping not 1:1 degrading image quality but seems new stuff really is shot in 2:1, 2.2:1 or even 2.35:1!

I guess two stupidly 'wide' monitors in portrait will fit better in my desk than current models* so I shouldn't complain but I'm instinctively bothered by this widening.

*Assuming manufacturers bother making small TVs so monitor makers can still get panels
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27939 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 06:29:59 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27940 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 09:00:12 »
David Lynch

He's talking about IPS phones.

OLED phones are more than enough to reproduce SDR material.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27941 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:48:35 »

They canceled the first appointment I made with less than 24hr notice, changing it from in-person to a phone consultation after I planned my entire day around it already. Then on the day of the phone appointment the doc never called. If I had something serious I would be already dead. It is like I am actively being prevented from seeing a doctor.
US health care is an absolute joke.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27942 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 19:09:10 »

They canceled the first appointment I made with less than 24hr notice, changing it from in-person to a phone consultation after I planned my entire day around it already. Then on the day of the phone appointment the doc never called. If I had something serious I would be already dead. It is like I am actively being prevented from seeing a doctor.

Have you tried a different doctor?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27943 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 20:48:18 »

Not an option with this health care

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27944 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 20:54:15 »

Not an option with this health care
Sheit. Your system needs an overhaul.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27945 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 16:18:53 »

Yesterday they apologized for missing the appointment and rescheduled for today. Guess what? They ghosted me today as well. That's 3, count 'em 3 appointments they did not follow through with.
Now I am filing an official complaint against the office and this doctor with the DOH and the state Medical Commission. I have all the time in the world for petty revenge, this behavior from medical professionals is 100% unacceptable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27946 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 18:27:19 »
Yesterday they apologized for missing the appointment and rescheduled for today. Guess what? They ghosted me today as well. That's 3, count 'em 3 appointments they did not follow through with.
Now I am filing an official complaint against the office and this doctor with the DOH and the state Medical Commission. I have all the time in the world for petty revenge, this behavior from medical professionals is 100% unacceptable.

Hit um with bad online reviews.  that stuff hurts way more nowadays.

Offline yui

« Reply #27947 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 00:55:35 »

Hit um with bad online reviews.  that stuff hurts way more nowadays.

i dunno how it is where you live but here a doctor with too many/severe complaints will lose the right to exercise. so can be much worse than online review that you ask to get removed. but given how ****ed up the US medical system is i dunno.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27948 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 20:39:51 »
Got all my endorphins up, set up stream only for my internet to go haywire and the devs messing up on new live event. Ended up getting disconnected

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27949 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 18:09:43 »
Clothing companies that put button flys on their jeans in 2020 deserve a special place in hell