Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4155444 times)

Offline Kavik

Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28000 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 10:34:19 »
I really can't stand that everyone now a days is offended by everything. You simply can't make jokes about anything because someone will be ofended, and aparently they can't stand being ofended.

I'm starting to wonder if these are real people or just bots. I only see this stuff online, never with real people, so it causes my solipsism to kick in a bit (that may not be exactly the right philosophy). But maybe I just don't interact with enough real people, or people are too wimpy to say anything in real life. I am incredulous at how readily people (twitter users, sometimes Redditors) willfully misconstrue things to the worst possible degree. Also, hyperbole is no longer hyperbole, and nuance is dead. In a world where everything is "on a spectrum", apparently, political belief is binary; you're either a Neo-Marxist or a Neo-Nazi, and that can be determined by one innocuous word choice or even by saying nothing at all apparently (e.g. Chris Pratt recently).

Sorry if I took your point too far.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28001 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 17:33:47 »
Here is a corollary to what you said that has always been a pet peeve of mine:

People often ask me a complex question, and I give them a qualified answer. But then they throw out the qualifier and repeat my words back, unqualified, which might well be the opposite of what I said or meant, and act like that was what I said.

Then, when I try to steer them back, they act offended and still continue in the revisionist context that they created.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28002 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 17:55:23 »
After this surgery I've been having these attacks daily. Very scary stuff; dramatic blood pressure drop, collapse, loss of hearing and vision, skin gets ice cold, and I start sweating profusely. Last night I went to the ER and they ran a battery of very expensive tests to tell me I'm have vasovagal syncope, which is a fancy way of saying stress-induced seizures.
So my life just keeps getting better. This year has been so incredibly stressful I developed a dangerous medical condition because of it.
Can you sue a year for damages?

Offline yui

« Reply #28003 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 00:43:41 »
I really can't stand that everyone now a days is offended by everything. You simply can't make jokes about anything because someone will be ofended, and aparently they can't stand being ofended.

I'm starting to wonder if these are real people or just bots. I only see this stuff online, never with real people, so it causes my solipsism to kick in a bit (that may not be exactly the right philosophy). But maybe I just don't interact with enough real people, or people are too wimpy to say anything in real life. I am incredulous at how readily people (twitter users, sometimes Redditors) willfully misconstrue things to the worst possible degree. Also, hyperbole is no longer hyperbole, and nuance is dead. In a world where everything is "on a spectrum", apparently, political belief is binary; you're either a Neo-Marxist or a Neo-Nazi, and that can be determined by one innocuous word choice or even by saying nothing at all apparently (e.g. Chris Pratt recently).

there may be bots but i know of real peoples like that, and having a conversation with them is rather hard, i think they are just more virulent online. now that Karrens discovered that they have a lot of power online they use it.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Alga

« Reply #28004 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 01:43:30 »

Bruh, I can't really tell if you are leaning towards my opinion or the oposite way. I'm a bit lost in translation here, sory.
But I can asure you that I'm not a bot  :thumb:

You don't really need to interact with people to find that, you just need to watch the news. What happed in France the other day it's a very extreme case of this I'm talking. One person holds something, a second makes fun of it and in the worst ouptut blood goes to the river. It's a terrible thing. Humanity it's going backwards so quickly.

PS: Idk what the Chris Pratt thingy is

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28005 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 16:57:50 »

Bruh, I can't really tell if you are leaning towards my opinion or the oposite way. I'm a bit lost in translation here, sory.

You don't really need to interact with people to find that, you just need to watch the news. What happed in France the other day it's a very extreme case of this I'm talking. One person holds something, a second makes fun of it and in the worst ouptut blood goes to the river. It's a terrible thing. Humanity it's going backwards so quickly.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. When I said "These people", I was referring to all the people who get offended or outraged by things easily, not you. My post basically boils down to this: "people always assume the worse of others instead of giving the benefit of the doubt" and "everyone is extreme now with no middle ground allowed."

If you are referring to the teacher who was beheaded, that is indeed terrible. I am really shocked by the number of Islamic terrorist attacks in France over the past few years, but that is another can of worms so to speak. France always stands out as a liberal nation that puts great value on freedom of speech, so to see that threatened is disheartening.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28006 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 00:38:48 »

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. When I said "These people", I was referring to all the people who get offended or outraged by things easily, not you. My post basically boils down to this: "people always assume the worse of others instead of giving the benefit of the doubt" and "everyone is extreme now with no middle ground allowed."

If you are referring to the teacher who was beheaded, that is indeed terrible. I am really shocked by the number of Islamic terrorist attacks in France over the past few years, but that is another can of worms so to speak. France always stands out as a liberal nation that puts great value on freedom of speech, so to see that threatened is disheartening.

people that are mad you can't tell offensive jokes anymore really do love to jerk off each other's victim complexes

and yeah, weird how Chris Pratt being a republican that goes to mega-church had made people like him less, maybe there are some characteristics of those groups that people don't like
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28007 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 07:53:37 »

the teacher who was beheaded, that is indeed terrible. I am really shocked by the number of Islamic terrorist attacks

I become ever more perplexed whenever I hear a story of people using religion as an excuse for hurting their fellow humans in any way.

It is bad enough when they pass discriminatory laws, but how can you claim to subscribe to "Thou shall not kill" when you have a bloody knife in your hand?

These are things that I have contemplated thousands of times over several decades, and each time I come away farther from understanding it.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline iri

« Reply #28008 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 13:30:37 »

the teacher who was beheaded, that is indeed terrible. I am really shocked by the number of Islamic terrorist attacks

I become ever more perplexed whenever I hear a story of people using religion as an excuse for hurting their fellow humans in any way.

It is bad enough when they pass discriminatory laws, but how can you claim to subscribe to "Thou shall not kill" when you have a bloody knife in your hand?
Are you sure it works this way in Islam?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28009 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 13:52:23 »

history has shown that it doesn't for Christianity

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28010 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 14:05:45 »

history has shown that it doesn't for Christianity

ALL general religion = bad.

They represent an imprecise and HIGHLY FLAWED form of governance/ world view.

Offline irohasu

« Reply #28011 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 15:30:45 »
Tomorrow is my start at my first job. Im getting anxious since i'll be working from home.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Offline Alga

« Reply #28012 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 15:56:12 »

I see. I was in London right around the time when people decided to run cars in the sidewalk of bridges and then stabbing people. Dude, it was scary to walk on high transit areas cause you never knew if someone wanted to do something stupid.

My boss at that time taught me that the best way to deal with those situations as a society that's being attacks was humor. He is a comedian so he understands the psychology of it. He loved to make dark humor jokes that do really well el with my sense of humour.
Showed me that when you make people laugh of something that looks serious or tabu of sorts, it suddenly looses that importance to it and people is more open.
It really marked me

Offline Alga

« Reply #28013 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 15:58:32 »
Tomorrow is my start at my first job. Im getting anxious since i'll be working from home.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

What will you be doing?  And I'm sure that if you go hired it's because they believe you can deliver.
It's a good sign to be nervous, you'll prospere.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28014 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 16:26:51 »

people that are mad you can't tell offensive jokes anymore really do love to jerk off each other's victim complexes

and yeah, weird how Chris Pratt being a republican that goes to mega-church had made people like him less, maybe there are some characteristics of those groups that people don't like

Being crucified by a mob that constantly sees red because someone misspoke, did something innocuous, or didn't say anything is a problem (Recently there's be a saying "silence is violence". Uh, no, neither words nor the lack of words is violence, which is literally defined as physical force). Or, you know, getting your head cut off for showing a cartoon of a religious figure is a problem too. Yes, telling jokes in bad taste simply to hurt someone or a group is bad thing too, but making people too scared to say anything critical of anything or anyone is worse. FWIW, I'm not a Christian. I just think it's ridiculous to lambast someone when not only did he not do anything, but he didn't say anything either.

Furthermore, I'd wager silencing people and trying to ruin their lives probably gives them the feeling of having nothing to lose, which makes them (more) dangerous. You can't win everyone over, but bad ideas should die out by being challenged by good ones instead.

Bullying and shaming are bad unless they are propping up a certain viewpoint, apparently. This is the power of the Internet, I guess.

I see. I was in London right around the time when people decided to run cars in the sidewalk of bridges and then stabbing people. Dude, it was scary to walk on high transit areas cause you never knew if someone wanted to do something stupid.

My boss at that time taught me that the best way to deal with those situations as a society that's being attacks was humor. He is a comedian so he understands the psychology of it. He loved to make dark humor jokes that do really well el with my sense of humour.
Showed me that when you make people laugh of something that looks serious or tabu of sorts, it suddenly looses that importance to it and people is more open.
It really marked me

That makes sense. I think I took your idea in a different direction, but adding levity to a situation can definitely help in serious times.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28015 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 17:48:06 »
Being crucified by a mob that constantly sees red because someone misspoke, did something innocuous, or didn't say anything is a problem (Recently there's be a saying "silence is violence". Uh, no, neither words nor the lack of words is violence, which is literally defined as physical force). Or, you know, getting your head cut off for showing a cartoon of a religious figure is a problem too. Yes, telling jokes in bad taste simply to hurt someone or a group is bad thing too, but making people too scared to say anything critical of anything or anyone is worse. FWIW, I'm not a Christian. I just think it's ridiculous to lambast someone when not only did he not do anything, but he didn't say anything either.

Furthermore, I'd wager silencing people and trying to ruin their lives probably gives them the feeling of having nothing to lose, which makes them (more) dangerous. You can't win everyone over, but bad ideas should die out by being challenged by good ones instead.

Bullying and shaming are bad unless they are propping up a certain viewpoint, apparently. This is the power of the Internet, I guess.

it would be so easy for you to actually look into the phrase "silence is violence" and attempt to understand its meaning, but I guess you'd just rather live thinking everyone is out to get you. and yes, not speaking up for or against certain things, especially when the evidence suggests you likely hold a view on said things, may very well make people mad at you. is that really a hard concept for you to understand?

Offline iri

« Reply #28016 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 18:13:48 »
That concept becomes much easier to understand when you look into Soviet history.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28017 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 19:37:38 »

the best way to deal with those situations as a society that's being attacks was humor.

Wasn't the Charlie Abdo situation what triggered the whole murder response thing in the first place?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/humor-sapiens/201911/the-relationship-between-humor-and-depression

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28018 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 21:41:26 »
The pendulum will swing in the other direction, it always does it's only a matter of time. People are already getting sick of the overreactions and entitlement. It'll be the edgy '00s again in no time.

Offline Alga

« Reply #28019 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 07:50:26 »

Wasn't the Charlie Abdo situation what triggered the whole murder response thing in the first place?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/humor-sapiens/201911/the-relationship-between-humor-and-depression

I'm not sure if it was the first itself, barbarities made in name of religion. But Charlie Hebdo was the first one to show worldwide coming from France for a long time. They a problem there they doesn't seem to extend to other parts of Europe to that extent. They do have a lot of immigration too.

Offline Alga

« Reply #28020 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 07:51:53 »

I'm not sure if it was the first itself, barbarities made in name of religion. But Charlie Hebdo was the first one to show worldwide coming from France for a long time. They a problem there they doesn't seem to extend to other parts of Europe to that extent. They do have a lot of immigration too.

Totally agree with you. History always repeats itself. Everything ends up coming back to some degree.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28021 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 08:05:06 »
y'all dun't want to put too much stock in Psychology Today articles.  It's like the Discovery channel. Alot of pseudo science.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28022 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 12:23:25 »

it would be so easy for you to actually look into the phrase "silence is violence" and attempt to understand its meaning, but I guess you'd just rather live thinking everyone is out to get you. and yes, not speaking up for or against certain things, especially when the evidence suggests you likely hold a view on said things, may very well make people mad at you. is that really a hard concept for you to understand?

I understand what people mean by it. I don't agree with redefining words, for it eventually leads to legislation restricting free speech because if words (or lack of words) = violence, then you can't say those words (or must say those words), and we're not talking about a restriction on inciting actual violence or making threats. Or it makes it easier for people to justify using actual violence against someone for saying something (or not).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28023 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 12:56:05 »

I understand what people mean by it. I don't agree with redefining words, for it eventually leads to legislation restricting free speech because if words (or lack of words) = violence, then you can't say those words (or must say those words), and we're not talking about a restriction on inciting actual violence or making threats. Or it makes it easier for people to justify using actual violence against someone for saying something (or not).

no one's trying to make it illegal to be politically apathetic jfc, it's just a phrase made up to call out privileged people who tacitly accept the societal conditions that make very existence dangerous for POC in America. no one's going to imprison white women for not centering women of color in their feminist discourse lmao. also, you don't agree with redefining words? do you know how a living language works? worlds are constantly being created and redefined to fit a modern context.

words can absolutely be violent. white supremacist rhetoric that inspires neo-nazis to go commit hate crimes is inextricably linked to the physical violence it creates. weird that it always seems like the right's defense of free speech only extends to the hateful and violent and always seems to leave out things like whistleblower protections.

Totally agree with you. History always repeats itself. Everything ends up coming back to some degree.

forget to log into your alt? this **** reads like a r/europe thread
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2020, 13:04:28 by hwood34 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28024 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 14:06:08 »
The heart of the issue is the LACK of  AI human integration.

Once we remove the human occipital lobe and replace that with Cyber-Brain enhancement, Race will cease to be an issue.

We can instantly upgrade Drumph-class bigots to standard cyber-hughmannn.

Offline yui

« Reply #28025 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 01:44:06 »

Once we remove the human occipital lobe and replace that with Cyber-Brain enhancement, Race will cease to be an issue.

I can tell you that not being able to discern "race" makes you a racist to some peoples, it often takes me someone telling me to see that someone is black or asian and i am called a racist quite often because i treat them fully as equal... we live in a strange world. extremists breeds worse extremists and when you are not in one of the extremes both sides sees you as the enemy, and for some strange reasons i do not think that giving more control over our brains to corporations will help that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28026 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 02:19:38 »

I can tell you that not being able to discern "race" makes you a racist to some peoples, it often takes me someone telling me to see that someone is black or asian and i am called a racist quite often because i treat them fully as equal... we live in a strange world. extremists breeds worse extremists and when you are not in one of the extremes both sides sees you as the enemy, and for some strange reasons i do not think that giving more control over our brains to corporations will help that.

The only people I take issue with are the people who expect to be treated better or receive special treatment. As soon as you start painting yourself as a victim while standing on a level field, or start acting entitled to treatment that differs from anyone else without any physical or mental maladies, that's when I have a problem.
If we are standing in the same **** pile together we damn well better be covered in the same amount of ****.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28027 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 06:17:46 »

There will always be some element of biologically driven tribal behavior.

It doesn't matter what banner you fly that premise under,  we have to have tribes for synergy's sake.

In the grand service of -Life- we have a choice to dedicate more or less processing towards empathy and compassion,   BUT divided into cells as an unavoidable outcome of geography, there must be a baseline of rational or irrational prejudice to maintain certain functions.

This doesn't justify racism, however, this problem will never go away when we have extremely disconnected processing nodes.

We are overdue for a neural uplink to a centralized cluster.  This will solve ALL OF humanity's current problems which CAN NOT be solved as individual nodes.

Even if we assume everyone has maximum unity, action will still be too slow to offset the imminent world breaking challenges we will face.  Asteroids/ CME event/ Pandemic w/ > 2% kill rate.

AI applications toward biology and governance are the most critical needs.

Offline iri

« Reply #28028 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 06:48:59 »

The only people I take issue with are the people who expect to be treated better or receive special treatment.
Wow, what an entitled white male. Completely unable to see his privilege.

(at this point I expect to get a cheque from Kremlin)

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Alga

« Reply #28029 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 02:24:45 »
The only people I take issue with are the people who expect to be treated better or receive special treatment. As soon as you start painting yourself as a victim while standing on a level field, or start acting entitled to treatment that differs from anyone else without any physical or mental maladies, that's when I have a problem.
If we are standing in the same **** pile together we damn well better be covered in the same amount of ****.

I do quite agree with you. I've had similar arguments with my girfriend regarding feminism and womens rights. IMO the more they look at the problem the bigger they make it. If you are up against a male for a job opening and the male gets it the first thought should not be "They hired him because he is a male" rather than "He must be better than me and may I need to learn some new tools to be competitve."

I don't believe victimizing oneself doen't help the issue. That said, it does not mean the issue does not exists.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28030 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:36:28 »
My mum has got cancer. It is a small tumour, but it is in a bad spot at the end of her rectum that might require complicated treatments and problems at the rest of her life, and it might have spread to the lymph nodes.

I'm so goddamned angry with her, first because several years ago now I had told her that she should get a colonoscopy, but she had never listened. During a colonoscopy, colon/rectum cancer can be detected early in the polyp stage and be removed then and there with a small snip-tool at the end of the instrument, before the polyp would have a chance of growing dangerous.
Instead she had her first colonoscopy very recently (in which the cancer was detected) and first after having got a routine "screening call" in the mail (we have a national health service here). If she had just listened to me, she wouldn't be in the spot she is now.

Second, I am angry and devastated that she doesn't seem to want to fight. She does not want to go through anything that could be bothersome. How can she not understand how much worse it will become for her if she doesn't?
She says that she isn't afraid to die, but its the time leading up to that that she refuses to think about.

I'm in a ****ing dark place right now, but my mum is apparently in a happy-go-lucky fantasy land inside her head where I'm not a grown-up yet and nothing I say has any significance. Instead she is painting paintings of sheep, because she had grown up on a farm. She is a ****ing sheep herself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:38:44 by Findecanor »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28031 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 18:01:43 »

It is totally natural to be angry, but try not to misdirect it or let it continue to cloud this moment in time. Spend every moment you can with your mom, you only ever get one.
Don't let her avoidance sour your time together, that is a wall that must be broken down gently and with love.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28032 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 18:42:04 »
Denial and turning a blind eye are all-too-common responses to threats. Look at all the people in the US not wearing masks even in crowded places and seemingly being proud of it. Odds-makers put Trump's chances of winning in 2016 in the 10%-15% range, but those are not trivial proportions even if they are low. 

We all feel immortal and invincible during the first third of our lives, or so, but as life progresses many of us look our mortality in the eye and it is a wake-up call. Some people, however, become (psychologically) paralyzed and bury themselves in denial.

My guess is that your mother is terrified under her surface bravado. Don't continue to confront her head-on.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28033 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 23:52:50 »
My mum has got cancer. It is a small tumour, but it is in a bad spot at the end of her rectum that might require complicated treatments and problems at the rest of her life, and it might have spread to the lymph nodes.

I'm so goddamned angry with her, first because several years ago now I had told her that she should get a colonoscopy, but she had never listened. During a colonoscopy, colon/rectum cancer can be detected early in the polyp stage and be removed then and there with a small snip-tool at the end of the instrument, before the polyp would have a chance of growing dangerous.
Instead she had her first colonoscopy very recently (in which the cancer was detected) and first after having got a routine "screening call" in the mail (we have a national health service here). If she had just listened to me, she wouldn't be in the spot she is now.

Second, I am angry and devastated that she doesn't seem to want to fight. She does not want to go through anything that could be bothersome. How can she not understand how much worse it will become for her if she doesn't?
She says that she isn't afraid to die, but its the time leading up to that that she refuses to think about.

I'm in a ****ing dark place right now, but my mum is apparently in a happy-go-lucky fantasy land inside her head where I'm not a grown-up yet and nothing I say has any significance. Instead she is painting paintings of sheep, because she had grown up on a farm. She is a ****ing sheep herself.

I am sorry to hear that. I hope she does come around and accept treatment.

While my mother was in the hospital for other things, she also refused a colonoscopy when she was losing blood seemingly from the rectum, because she didn't want to bother with any more procedures at the time. She agreed to follow up later, but I know her, and she won't. It is frustrating. Oh the other hand, I've seen my wife go through some awful things medically with seemingly no end in sight, and I can't say that I would have kept going in her shoes.

The best you can do is be empathetic yet realistic with her, I suppose. I don't mean to give unsolicited advice, rather just to convey sympathy.

Offline Alga

« Reply #28034 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 02:16:10 »

Sorry to hear. I hope she finds in her the will to fight it.

Offline yui

« Reply #28035 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 05:03:53 »
That it took me to hurt someone i love to make me realize i was handling my problems very poorly, and that i loved her. and i am completely inept at talking so saying sorry and thank you is hard... (when i say hurt i do not mean physically btw, don't go and call the cop on me pls)

Offline iri

« Reply #28036 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 05:40:08 »
calls cops on yui

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #28037 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 05:53:41 »
calls cops on yui
Multiples!!! i am in deep troubles now :)

Offline Alga

« Reply #28038 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 08:24:25 »
GOD DAMNED STUPD ESLINT CONFIG!!!!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #28039 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 09:48:05 »
Anyone else feeling depressed one day with suicidal thoughts and the other days you are just ok i feel like this is gonna end me one day honestly. The only reason i write this here is that anyone i know doesn't browse to Geekhack and yes they wouldn't understand what depressed means trust me i tried. But that aside i can't be the only wreck here or am i :blank:.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Alga

« Reply #28040 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 09:54:37 »
Anyone else feeling depressed one day with suicidal thoughts and the other days you are just ok i feel like this is gonna end me one day honestly. The only reason i write this here is that anyone i know doesn't browse to Geekhack and yes they wouldn't understand what depressed means trust me i tried. But that aside i can't be the only wreck here or am i :blank:.

People who haven't been trough depression can hardly understand it. I haven't been there with suicidal thoughs. But every monday I want to cry when I have to wake up and get going all the week. It' sounds childish because it's monday and crap, but I really get into dark thoughts for hours.

I have my ups and downs too. But I've never gone to see a doc about it beacuse I beat myself that I'm just looking for lame excuses to not be responsible.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28041 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 10:38:48 »
I don't know what qualifies as suicidal thoughts but it's rare a week goes by without me wishing I could just go to bed and never wake up so I can probably relate.  Is there actually a problem/reason that could be talked about?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #28042 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 11:44:16 »
I don't know what qualifies as suicidal thoughts but it's rare a week goes by without me wishing I could just go to bed and never wake up so I can probably relate.  Is there actually a problem/reason that could be talked about?

I do have reasons but to complicated and tired to talk about. I just wanted to vent out some of the **** you normally don't say and keep it to yourself and also remember that i am not the only person going trough depression or other hard times.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28043 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 13:48:16 »

I do have reasons but to complicated and tired to talk about. I just wanted to vent out some of the **** you normally don't say and keep it to yourself and also remember that i am not the only person going trough depression or other hard times.

Tp4 has suicidal thoughts all the time.  This TV's no good, just gonna killzhiself.

As for depression, Tp4 could be said to be self medicating with all them electronix.

The deepest feeling really isn't of grief, but pessimism. What Tp4 deeply desires has an extremely low probability of occuring in his lifetime. Upload to cloud, life as data.

Offline yui

« Reply #28044 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 14:01:05 »
well either way, be careful with who you tell that to, i did not and i did hurt peoples, well one in particular...

Tp4 has suicidal thoughts all the time.  This TV's no good, just gonna killzhiself.

As for depression, Tp4 could be said to be self medicating with all them electronix.

The deepest feeling really isn't of grief, but pessimism. What Tp4 deeply desires has an extremely low probability of occuring in his lifetime. Upload to cloud, life as data.

self medicating on work, electronics and baking cakes and cookies for everyone around me :) but nowadays i can't even think about it anymore, makes me sick because i think of how much it would actually hurt others, only talking about it did hurt plenty. talking to a professional can help both finding why and finding a better way out though, some says sport helps, well did not for me but did for a colleague of mine (i dunno much about why she was depressed though so may have something to do with it) also i find that helping peoples helps a lot with the all wanting to kill yourself, funny how that works.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28045 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 22:02:21 »
Met someone today who was telling me how hard the pandemic has hit their family and how every time his personal bank account dips below $100k he has to request another loan 'just to make ends meat.'

I don't think I have ever hated another person I met personally more than this man. He embodies everything wrong with America.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28046 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 01:14:00 »

I have had a few moments like this in the past. Thankfully, it's rare for me. It's a feeling of utter hopelessness, and bearing even one more minute of it feels impossible; these were the scary moments. Talking about it verbally to someone has helped me in the past, but it's difficult to do that sometimes because, at least for me, some of the causes were things I couldn't tell anyone, or else things would have been even worse.

Other times, the causes were less "in my head" and more real circumstance. During that time, I wouldn't say I was suicidal, but I didn't care if I died.

Depression is one of those "you know it when you see/feel it" type of things. I don't know if it's actually possible to understand it without having felt it. There are different severities, but it's not just sadness. It's a totally different feeling from sadness, and much worse. I also think there are severities of being suicidal: there's the mental anguish that needs to be extinguished so badly you're ready to do it now, serious consideration of suicide, and the mere contemplation of suicide.

I'm not sure if this helps, but you're not alone in having felt at least similar things.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #28047 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 06:15:50 »
If anybody wants to ever talk because they feel down, please feel free to PM me.

If you are having any suicidal thoughts, please seek professional help ASAP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2020, 06:56:07 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #28049 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 16:53:11 »
I've had similar arguments with my girfriend regarding feminism and womens rights.

lmao of course