Author Topic: [GB] Evil 80 (finished production)  (Read 89423 times)

Offline zl_ramiel

[GB] Evil 80 (finished production)
« on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 19:35:12 »

Odyssey is a 80% custom keyboard we designed from 2016. It's featured with the fancy aviation connector/cable.
The cases are manufactured by my friend EVE, the manufacturer of Moon and Mira SE.
We've already successfully fulfilled our R1 GB in China last year.
This is a Group Buy for an modified version of Evil80. We changed the aviation port a little bit and changed the PCB to QMK programmable PCB.

Interest Check

About this Group Buy

• GB starts on 4PM January 13, 2018 Pacific Time. Open for one week at most.  Count Down
  • Limit to 60 sets. FCFS
  • Price: $382 (all aluminum) - $428.5 (brass weight, brass plate)
  • Estimated shipping date: End of March

About the Keyboard Kit

• Parts included: top & bottom cases, plate, nameplate, weight/bottom part, PCB, aviation connector, screws, screwdriver
  • Case colors: Black, Grey, Silver white, Blue, Pink
  • Plate, Weight/Bottom part: 5 colors of aluminum or brass
  • Nameplate customization: Yes, and free of charge. Find more info about nameplates here. And find the template files here.
  • Layouts: 87 keys TKL or 84 keys WKL
  • Cable: You need to make your own cable with the connector included in the kit. Or you can buy a customized cable for $15.5

Supported Layouts of PCB

Photos from R1 GB

Place your order here
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 03:05:01 by zl_ramiel »

Offline bluesclera

Re: [GB] Evil 80
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:53:17 »
Very nice, good luck with the group buy.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:04:57 »
Very nice! I’ll be ready.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:07:59 »
Huh sold out already? its only been 13mins...opps my bad...13th.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:09:51 »
Huh sold out already? its only been 13mins...opps my bad...13th.

GB starts on 4PM January 13, 2018 Pacific Time. Open for one week at most.

Edit: Didn't see you already noticed. Still, makes it clearer for anyone else...

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:15:59 »
What's the production timeline?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:40:34 »
What's the production timeline?

Updated in OP

Offline breckstar

Re: [GB] Evil 80 - GB Opens on January 13th
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:44:03 »
If it is possible to get that R1 silver white pink combo with the pulse heart nameplate, I would be in to match my SA Valentine :)

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:57:27 »
If it is possible to get that R1 silver white pink combo with the pulse heart nameplate, I would be in to match my SA Valentine :)

yes, updated screenshots of the order form in OP.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:14:53 »
Is there any chance you could offer a polycarbonate plate? Or share the cad files so we can get one done? Really interested in this board...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:15:33 »
Anyway to have this shipped within China?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:30:10 »
Is there any chance you could offer a polycarbonate plate? Or share the cad files so we can get one done? Really interested in this board...

We'll share the CAD file.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:30:32 »
Anyway to have this shipped within China?

PMed

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 12:10:39 »

We'll share the CAD file.

Great! Thanks a lot for that.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 12:50:23 »
So, will the name plate actually be our custom text raised (and not engraved) as seen in the images above??  That would be amazing, but I doubt that is economically feasible for free.

Can you clarify if custom name plate would be embossed as seen in the photos or will it be engraved/etched?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:42:28 »
So, will the name plate actually be our custom text raised (and not engraved) as seen in the images above??  That would be amazing, but I doubt that is economically feasible for free.

Can you clarify if custom name plate would be embossed as seen in the photos or will it be engraved/etched?

Thanks for bring this up. I do need to clarify that all the nameplates will have embossed texts as showed in the photo. Here're more examples:

The nameplates will be cut by the machine and then anodized. For aluminum versions, the embossed texts will be polished. Brass versions won't be polished.

The legends can't be too complex that the machine can't handle. Please refer to the samples and get an idea what legends can be made.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:44:46 »

Thanks for bring this up. I do need to clarify that all the nameplates will have embossed texts as showed in the photo. Here're more examples:

Show Image

Show Image

The nameplates will be cut by the machine and then anodized. For aluminum versions, the embossed texts will be polished. Brass versions won't be polished.

The legends can't be too complex that the machine can't handle. Please refer to the samples and get an idea what legends can be made.

Great now I need the brass version...any idea on weight difference between aluminum and brass? Any shipping estimates to the states or EU?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:58:39 »
Great now I need the brass version...any idea on weight difference between aluminum and brass? Any shipping estimates to the states or EU?

I don't know the weight of brass version. Aluminum case + plate + nameplate + bottom part = 4lbs.

Shipping estimates are listed in the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/KGHS3

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 14:57:45 »
It only says shipping to Germany, UK, France in the form but i guess you ship to sweden, right?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 15:16:48 »
It only says shipping to Germany, UK, France in the form but i guess you ship to sweden, right?

Hey man, we ship the boards to anywhere in the world.  I need to ask DHL for a price tho. Feel free to join.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 15:47:32 »
can I get the original pcb?  I rather use your gui to program than qmk

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 16:22:13 »
If i would want to the silver/pink only version with the heart nameplate, plate and weight, do i choose pink at all the choices?
Or would it be smarter to choose the silver white version, upgrade it to brass and then add pink as additional plate and weight if i wanted to gett two sets to play around with.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 19:02:44 »
The PCB is now qmk? That sucks. Also, what happened to the gray blue color?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 19:13:15 »

You guys know QMK is about to launch their GUI right?

I'm actually tempted to buy this now that they swapped the PCB.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 19:37:17 »

Nope, if it's half decent it might be worth it I guess. Not a fan of qmk to be honest.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 19:52:17 »

Nope, if it's half decent it might be worth it I guess. Not a fan of qmk to be honest.

Why? Like what specifically do you dislike about QMK? Cause I'm not aware of ANY features that other firmware have that QMK doesn't other than GUI. Plus it's actually faster/lower latency than almost everything else.

The only complaints I've ever seen were from people who couldn't or didn't want to figure it out because they didn't wanna build the firmware themselves.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 20:27:49 »

Why? Like what specifically do you dislike about QMK? Cause I'm not aware of ANY features that other firmware have that QMK doesn't other than GUI. Plus it's actually faster/lower latency than almost everything else.

The only complaints I've ever seen were from people who couldn't or didn't want to figure it out because they didn't wanna build the firmware themselves.

Probably has something to do with installing a build environment, cloning repositories, compiling and building software and a whole dedicated process and learning curve just to change a couple keys around. Seems a bit like overkill just for a simple task where I can push a gui button.

I get it, I'm a programmer. It sounds like fun and learning something new is always cool and fun to play with, but this just sounds daunting to me after 10 or so hours of doing it all day long..

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 21:17:04 »

Probably has something to do with installing a build environment, cloning repositories, compiling and building software and a whole dedicated process and learning curve just to change a couple keys around. Seems a bit like overkill just for a simple task where I can push a gui button.

I get it, I'm a programmer. It sounds like fun and learning something new is always cool and fun to play with, but this just sounds daunting to me after 10 or so hours of doing it all day long..

If you are really a programmer I don't know how you can find the process to be daunting, it's almost entire automated with scripts. Either way though, this is what's coming: http://config.qmk.fm (still super early and not yet stable)

And while it may SEEM daunting, but I (as a c# dev, with basically 0 c experience) was able to add support for a new PCB, and then, like you once I had everything ready and it was time to flash, I was super nervous about what would be involved, but at least with windows it's literally EXTREMELY easy, much easier than I expected:

1. Clone Repository (install git if you somehow don't have it, then just run git clone https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware.git in whatever folder you wanna put it in, I used c:/users/<username>/desktop/kb)
2. Install MSYS2 (http://www.msys2.org/, there is nothing to configure, you just run the installer and you are done, should most likely use the x64 version)
3. Open MSYS2 MingGW 64-bit (you just open the shortcut)
4. Navigate to the folder where you cloned the repo (for me it was "cd /c/users/<username>/desktop/kb/qmk_firmware")
5. run util/msys2_install.sh (one time, for setup, basically just yes through all the options, you probably don't need all the drivers but it's so much easier to just have them all and not worry about it)
6. to build a firmware all you have to do is run: "make <keyboardname>:<keymapname>" or to build and flash you just do "make <keyboardname>:<keymapname>:dfu"

The keyboard names are just the folders in the keyboards folder: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards
The keymap names are the folders in the keymaps folder under a specific keyboard: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/gh60/keymaps

So to build and flash the default GH60 profile you just run:

"make gh60:default:dfu"

Assuming your board is already supported, it only takes a few minutes to do the entire thing. Then you just have to setup your own keymap.

Either way though, once the site is done, you will be able to use it to build your firmware with it without installing MSYS2 or running the script, and then it's just a matter of flashing them which you can do yourself or using qmk toolbox i believe.

Anyway, I'll stop cheer-leading now. If you ever do decide to try QMK and want any assistance in getting anything working, let me know and I would be happy to help. I promise it's much easier than it seems at first, especially if you already have a background in code.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 08:02:33 »
If i would want to the silver/pink only version with the heart nameplate, plate and weight, do i choose pink at all the choices?
Or would it be smarter to choose the silver white version, upgrade it to brass and then add pink as additional plate and weight if i wanted to gett two sets to play around with.

Also interested by the same build, what do we choose for it? Is it even possible?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 08:16:41 »

Also interested by the same build, what do we choose for it? Is it even possible?

What parts you want them in pink and what parts you want them in silver? Could you elaborate?

Offline breckstar

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 08:23:58 »
From the pictures, looks like you would choose silver white for the top bottom, pink plate, pink weight

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 08:31:33 »
From the pictures, looks like you would choose silver white for the top bottom, pink plate, pink weight

Exactly, it should be pretty straightforward about the options. Just have a look at the screenshots of the form. Let's me know if there're something not clear.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 10:01:37 »
Man this thing is super clean. Really interested. Start time of the GB is a little unfortunate for me (1am), but I'll see if spots are still available when I wake up.
pls gief bbv2

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 12:34:40 »
What about the nameplate design. If we want the heartbeat with heart, as shown in pic, what do we choose? Because the screenshot of the form only propose to input some text for the nameplate. :)

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 12:46:38 »
What are our colour/style/material options for the assembled cable?

Offline breckstar

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:15:04 »
What about the nameplate design. If we want the heartbeat with heart, as shown in pic, what do we choose? Because the screenshot of the form only propose to input some text for the nameplate. :)
Probably say heart beat from R1 or link that picture? I assume ramiel would get the gist

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 17:25:09 »

Probably say heart beat from R1 or link that picture? I assume ramiel would get the gist

That option in the form was not accurate. We'll provide templates in both ai and dxf formats. You can fill in the template with anything you like, including the heart beat figure. I'll ask and guide everyone to make the nameplate design when GB closes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:06:12 by zl_ramiel »

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 17:27:14 »
What are our colour/style/material options for the assembled cable?

We'll include the options in the form in the following days, or send emails for asking the options.

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 17:40:44 »
How would one go about if they want a custom design on the nameplate? Can we work from a template you provide or do we just tell you what we would like and you chalk up a design?

I dont mind designing something myself, just wondering how it went last gb and what would be the most convenient way to handle this.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 18:01:23 »

That option in the form was not accurate. We'll provide templates in both ai and dxi formats. You can fill in the template with anything you like, including the heart beat figure. I'll ask and guide everyone to make the nameplate design when GB closes.

Seems like there will be both an AI and DXI file provided as a template. I'm not sure what a DXI is, but I'm assuming AI is an illustrator (vector) file, which works for me although SVG would be nice too. Is that correct zl_ramiel? Any chance of getting these early so we can have our files ready for when this opens?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:10:47 »
How would one go about if they want a custom design on the nameplate? Can we work from a template you provide or do we just tell you what we would like and you chalk up a design?

I dont mind designing something myself, just wondering how it went last gb and what would be the most convenient way to handle this.

Seems like there will be both an AI and DXI file provided as a template. I'm not sure what a DXI is, but I'm assuming AI is an illustrator (vector) file, which works for me although SVG would be nice too. Is that correct zl_ramiel? Any chance of getting these early so we can have our files ready for when this opens?

I've attached the template files. You can check them out before GB starts tomorrow.

Sorry, there's a typo. It's dxf, not dxi.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:14:01 by zl_ramiel »

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 19:45:54 »

I've attached the template files. You can check them out before GB starts tomorrow.

Nice, thanks for this! Now i can already start designing before the GB opens haha.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 10:55:00 »

Awesome, thanks! Design is ready :)

Offline Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:00:00 »
From the aviation cable, can we choose the color of our liking? and is there a coil with it?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:11:12 »
From the aviation cable, can we choose the color of our liking? and is there a coil with it?

Yes, you can choose the color. I'll send the pics of color options to those who chose the $16 custom cable. It's coil cable by default.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:12:35 »
GB will be opened on GeekHack after 6 hours.

According to the IC form. 76 people are interested in joining, and 16 are not sure. Since not all the 76 person are able to join at this time period, we set the limited available number in this GB as 60. Not sure if that number is accurate or not tho.

Offline zl_ramiel

Re: [GB] Evil 80 - GB Opens NOW
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:00:31 »
GB form opened

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:00:55 »
Order placed! I can't wait to build this board!

Offline klove4252

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:01:50 »
Cant wait for this!

Offline Latto

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:02:58 »
Ordered! Thanks for the great design.