Author Topic: What's your favorite pointing device?  (Read 92879 times)

Offline CodeChef

What's your favorite pointing device?
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 19:10:18 »
So far I haven't tried a mouse I liked better than the Logitech G9x. In terms of shape though, the mice that had the same shape as the G1/G3 were the BEST (maybe because they were the mice I grew up using, first the logitech branded one, and then the dell-branded one)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 05:03:33 »
I love my Performance MX. I'm tempted to try the CST LaserTrack to see if I like trackballs or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline nraymond

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 15:12:23 »
For productivity, Apple Magic Trackpad.  For games, Logitech G9.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 21:33:37 »
CH DT225.
Mine is custom painted and solid as a rock.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline nmd

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 03 December 2010, 16:04:06 »
I'm currently using a SteelSeries Xai. Basic shape, great texture on top of the shell and rubberized sides. The clicks are perfect on every single button and the "steps" on the mouse wheel are tactile without being clicky - just perfect all around really.

I also like the G9, DeathAdder and Imperator. I would use the Imperator all the time because it's perfect for my hand but the problem is - like most Razer mice it uses high gloss on the sides which feels so terrible after an hour or so of using it. :( If I could put a rubber coating on it that's similar to what the Xai uses on it's side(combination of smooth and grippy, doesn't collect moisture) I would use it 100%.

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 03 December 2010, 19:12:39 »
I used a G5 for a couple years before it broke and then I moved on to a Razer Deathadder and from there I ended up buying a CST L-Trac-X.... I'm not sure if I'm in love with just trackballs or if it's just this particular one, but I can say that it's been the best pointing device I've used =)
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 03 December 2010, 20:37:43 »
I use mainly mouse keys on keyboard. It's enough for my daily job.
And I use TrackPoint on the road.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 00:25:48 »
I wish I could say that it was my slimblade, but every time I start playing a game my G5 comes off the bench and I always forget to switch back to my track ball afterward ^^;;

Offline dewaere

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 04:03:05 »
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 04:19:30 »
i'm using the razer death adder, i have been using it for about 3 years, my old one got worn out so i got a new one. it worked great in wow, and now i use it for sc2, nothing crazy about it, it just feels good.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 04:21:47 »
Quote from: kalrykh;256693
I'm a fan of the razer naga, but if you don't play mmo's, you'll probably find it laughable.  Otherwise, the deathadder is my standby.  It's still a solid mouse.

I've actually known some engineers and designers that get the Naga for the extra buttons. Reduces how often they need to take their hands of the 3D interface device or mouse to change tools.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 05:32:07 »
I don't know. I have a plenty of mice and trackballs - G900, G500, G9, Orochi, RAT5, MX Air (ex-mice MX518, G5, Deathadder), Slimblade and Orbit, but I don't really feel strongly about any one of them. G900 gets the most day to day use, it's a the hyperscroll and nice buttons, but otherwise I'm still 'whatever' about it.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline typo

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 02:24:01 »
as you probably already know, logitech g500. i'd try a track ball if they had way higher resolution as i discussed elsewhere here.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 10:06:43 »
3200 isn't high enough? What the hell do you do with your mouse?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline godly_music

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 08:13:55 »
Any corded optical mouse will do. I've lived on cheapo Logitechs for a long time before I got an MX 518. Of course it's better, but it's not essential.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 12:09:46 »
Quote from: YpoCaramel;270223
I don't know. I have a plenty of mice and trackballs - G900, G500, G9, Orochi, RAT5, MX Air (ex-mice MX518, G5, Deathadder), Slimblade and Orbit, but I don't really feel strongly about any one of them. G900 gets the most day to day use, it's a the hyperscroll and nice buttons, but otherwise I'm still 'whatever' about it.

G900?
Any pics?
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 02:51:58 »
Quote from: dewaere;273004
G900?
Any pics?

Sorry mate, G700 ;) I forgot the name omg, see how unexcited I am?
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline killy

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 01:02:26 »
Quote from: nmd;256560
I'm currently using a SteelSeries Xai. Basic shape, great texture on top of the shell and rubberized sides. The clicks are perfect on every single button and the "steps" on the mouse wheel are tactile without being clicky - just perfect all around really.

I also like the G9, DeathAdder and Imperator. I would use the Imperator all the time because it's perfect for my hand but the problem is - like most Razer mice it uses high gloss on the sides which feels so terrible after an hour or so of using it. :( If I could put a rubber coating on it that's similar to what the Xai uses on it's side(combination of smooth and grippy, doesn't collect moisture) I would use it 100%.

I have the kinzu. Bargain bin replacement for a broken deathadder turned out great.

A lot of new mice have high liftoff (I'm sure the mousegeeks will know about the sensors... TwinEye?), but the Kinzu is pretty good. No frills, gets the job done. I don't really miss the back button, I'm used to moving my mouse over and just hitting it.

In fact, although I liked to palm grip when I bought an IME3.0 to try it out I couldn't handle the sudden shape change, and it was too heavy for low sens pick-up-and-reposition. I hold the kinzu in a 'palm grip' style, except my fingers are arched so only the tips touch the buttons. Palm-claw?

Offline isp

« Reply #318 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 07:39:20 »
I'm really diggin the Logi Anywhere MX for casual surfing.  

(Review here)

for gaming though (serios businos!!!1), I use the logitech g3
hhkb

Offline theferenc

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 21:54:51 »
Quote from: isp;273986
I'm really diggin the Logi Anywhere MX for casual surfing.  
Show Image

(Review here)

for gaming though (serios businos!!!1), I use the logitech g3

I have this. I use it as my travel mouse along with my HHKB. I absolutely love the two-mode scrolling it has going on.

It's a surprisingly nice feel and weight for a mobile mouse, I think.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline theferenc

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 22:10:58 »
Ripster, the logitech *does* use AAs. I use eneloop rechargeables in mine.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 12:39:43 »
Quote from: ripster;274349
Oops. I got the two switched around.  

Maybe AAAs aren't so bad.  I rarely have had to replace it.

Also have a VX Nano. Battery life does last for quite some time, assuming you remember to turn it off between uses.

Also have a DeathAdder for my desktop. Best mouse I've ever used.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline aynjell

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 12:15:48 »
Presently, I use a Razer Lachesis for gaming. This mouse completely perplexes me... well I suppose it reminds me of a race car for the reason I'll soon explain. Basically, the mouse is absolutely perfect for when I'm gaming, especially shooters. The feel, the shape, the movement (the feet are perfect), etc etc. However, as soon as a cursor gets involved (wow, the desktop, etc) the sensation is similar, although not as bad, as typing on a qwerty phone keyboard. Yeah, it helps some but it's not as good as others.

I've never used a mouse with this type of all or nothing behavior.

My favourite, a close second in gaming, is the Logitech G5. It was perfect. It did everything the razer did to maybe 95%, but it also was super awesome on the desktop too.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Grimey

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 15:16:18 »
Currently loving my Razer Naga.  

My previous mouse was a logitec G5.  My G5 was a beautiful mouse that performed amazingly for years ( and still works perfectly well after 4+ years of usage).  My problem with the G5 was the lack of buttons when MMO gaming is concerned.  My hands aren't what they used to be, and stretching them around the keyboard to hit enough key combinations was over stressing.

I am a large handed person and the Naga fits fine.  I do wish it was a bit larger, but I have been comfortable for hours of usage.  Getting used to the side button configuration wasn't much of a chore either.
Erlang your pants off

Offline jbl

« Reply #324 on: Fri, 14 January 2011, 23:38:22 »
Having lost some use of my right (dominant) hand, I've been on something of an input device binge lately.

Today I picked up a Kensington Slimblade trackball for work and an Apple Magic Trackpad for home. Much to my surprise, I think I like them both more than regular mice. I find the trackball easier to manipulate and my wrists and hands don't get as tired after a day of work.

In the same vein, the trackpad gestures are really slick. As an added bonus, the low profile of the trackpad puts my wrist in a flatter, more natural position.

These aren't my first flirtations with trackballs and trackpads. For a long time, I used both a Cirque Glidepoint portable trackpad as well as a Logitech Trackman Marble FX. The Cirque was forgettable, but I found the Logitech very very comfortable and easy to use.

Offline George7

« Reply #325 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 16:33:27 »
I'm using a Logitech G5 at the moment. It's a good mouse but I don't actually like it a huge amount. My favourite mouse of all time is actually a standard logitech optical mouse I got with a computer my family bought in 2004. Since the left button died a couple of years back, I've not found something I like nearly as much, and I haven't found the same mouse since :(

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #326 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 06:21:41 »
If you still have it just try to repair it. ;)
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 05:58:27 »
I just bought a Trackman Marble and it is my new favorite.  It's much more gaming-friendly than that old clunker I had!
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline Jerri

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 06:04:03 »
Razer Lachesis Refresh. I like the Lachesis shape very much, but the settings and the tracking of the new one (got it today) is just awesome!
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 12:34:57 »
Quote from: Jerri;280281
Razer Lachesis Refresh. I like the Lachesis shape very much, but the settings and the tracking of the new one (got it today) is just awesome!

So far it's the best mouse for gaming I've ever used. The shape is perfect for shooters, but awkward for gaming.

It's sad though, razer can't do much else right besides mice and pads. :(

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Jerri

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 13:05:05 »
Quote from: aynjell;280492
So far it's the best mouse for gaming I've ever used. The shape is perfect for shooters, but awkward for gaming.

It's sad though, razer can't do much else right besides mice and pads. :(

I especially dig the shape of this mouse. I use this shape all the time, for working, shooters, other games. Personally i can't stand shapes like Logitech MX518 or Razer Deathadder. But i must say i had the Logitechs a long time, until the Lachesis came out ;). For my hands the Lachesis is perfect!

I tried some UT2004 with the new lachesis, works good with my new mousepad (razer ironclad).

Does anybody know the "real DPI", that the Laser sensor has natively?
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 14:08:42 »
Quote from: Jerri;280528

Strange question, the big players like Logitech, Razer, MS or SteelSeries usually don't interpolate the CPI (unlike Roccat or especially A4Tech :D), so:

Original Lachesis: 4000 CPI (PLN 2031)
New Lachesis: 5600 CPI (PLN 2032)

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 15:23:06 »
No rollermouse fans?
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline aynjell

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 15:33:37 »
Quote from: Jerri;280528
I especially dig the shape of this mouse. I use this shape all the time, for working, shooters, other games. Personally i can't stand shapes like Logitech MX518 or Razer Deathadder. But i must say i had the Logitechs a long time, until the Lachesis came out ;). For my hands the Lachesis is perfect!

I tried some UT2004 with the new lachesis, works good with my new mousepad (razer ironclad).

I believe it's 5600.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 17:03:42 »
Quote from: aynjell;280634
I believe it's 5600.

He knows that obviously from the 5600 stamping on the box. What he means is does the sensor interpolate DPI from a lesser amount.

In other words the competing top sensor of the PTE(Philips twin-eye 2) is the ADNS-9500. The 9500 goes up to 6000 DPI(Roccat Kone+) but from what some have mentioned on the dataspecs of the 9500 engine. The engines true DPI tops out at around 4000-5000 mark so the additional DPI done by the G500/G700/G9X/Kone is construed as interpolated.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 17:05:15 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;280667
He knows that obviously from the 5600 stamping on the box. What he means is does the sensor interpolate DPI from a lesser amount.

In other words the competing top sensor of the PTE(Philips twin-eye 2) is the ADNS-9500. The 9500 goes up to 6000 DPI(Roccat Kone+) but from what some have mentioned on the dataspecs of the 9500 engine. The engines true DPI tops out at around 4000-5000 mark so the additional DPI done by the G500/G700/G9X/Kone is construed as interpolated.

I figured that was mis-advertising. :\

Offline cyberphine

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 17:28:28 »
Logitech G500.  I love this mouse.  I'm going to try to pick another one up for the office for around $40 bucks.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&Tpk=logitech%20g500
Programmer, Skeptic, Overly Paranoid Tinkerer
\' or \'1\'=\'1 should be on a post-it note for devs
Keyboards:

Filco Tenkeyless Brown, BLT Series - 82 Key Backlit Illuminated Keyboard with Touchpad Black, IBM Model M, Logitech G15
Computer:
Core i7-920, 6GB OCz RAM, ASRock MotherBoard,1TB WD Hard Drive, 3 x Samsung BX2450
Want to play with:
Red Cherries, Blue Cherries, Clear Cherries, Topre, Choc Mini, HHKB, KBC Poker, Mini-Guru

Offline Warduke

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 22:39:18 »
A toss up between Microsoft Trackball Optical and Trackball Explorer.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 02:31:19 »

It's not clearly if the 5700 CPI on the G9X7G500/G700 are interpolated, Logitech clearly has a different srom (firmware) for the sensor (with higher FPS), with that it's generally not a problem to get higher CPI.

Imho the 6000 CPI on the Kone
  • are interpolated allthough Roccat (not simply their Maeketing) claims otherwise.

And as I allready wrote the Lachesis CPI are true.

Offline Jerri

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 02:40:15 »

Thanks man, that's what i mean, sorry if it wasn't clearly announced, what i meant, but english isn't my native tongue, so sometimes crucial words are missing in my vocabulary ;).

Offline tarc

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 06:50:50 »
Cool, an input hardware forum!

I use a small 4x6 wacom for general use, very comfortable!

Also a trackman marble which I found incredibly comfortable. Button positioning could be better but I guess it's due to it's mirror construction.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 January 2011, 08:34:43 by tarc »

Offline Zensuji

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 03:01:50 »
I have a few favourites.

Mx-518
Zowie ec1
deathadder 3g

Bought a new DA3.5g recently and had to post it straight back. LOL at razer for breaking their only decent mouse.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 12:30:00 »
Quote from: Zensuji;281621
I have a few favourites.

Mx-518
Zowie ec1
deathadder 3g

Bought a new DA3.5g recently and had to post it straight back. LOL at razer for breaking their only decent mouse.

The 3.5g sensor if I understand it is magnitudes better than the 3G. Unless they changed the shape they didn't break anything.

Offline SuperPunch

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 05:43:51 »
I recently received the Mionix Naos 5000.  It's my favorite mouse in a long list of candidates.  I posted a review just now.  Palm grip users may want to take a look.

Offline bionicroach

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 21:15:50 »
Quote from: urlwolf;280621
No rollermouse fans?

I am a huge fan of the RollerMouse!  I had terrible pain in my right shoulder from 8hrs/day on a traditional mouse and the RollerMouse completely alleviated it.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #345 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 19:15:56 »
My favorite pointing device is the middle finger.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tash

« Reply #346 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 19:46:53 »
middle finger?
on a touchpad or a touchscreen?

Offline msiegel

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 19:48:21 »
joystick, i reckon

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #348 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 22:01:54 »
Wacom pen
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Rollermouse
ThinkPad Clit
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #349 on: Sun, 23 January 2011, 12:14:17 »
Wacom pen
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Rollermouse
ThinkPad Clit

That's good taste, right there...
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500