Author Topic: Why thumbballs?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Symmetry

Why thumbballs?
« on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 21:12:41 »
I see so much buzz over thumbballs, and so little toward palm/fingerballs. In short, why do you prefer one over the other?

My personal opinion is that fingerballs are more ergonomic because you're using the entire hand to manipulate the ball, rather than a single tendon. In addition, forearm muscles can come into play, introducing another aspect of accuracy. On the other hand, button location is compromised-I certainly feel that thumbballs have better button locations in general.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Why thumbballs?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 22:04:40 »
I tell this story every so often, when it comes up.  I was forced to use a finger trackball for about a month (Kensington, I believe). I had requested a trackball because I'm sort of an elitist about not using mice because I find them so imprecise anymore. But what the company got me ( I hadn't been specific, and figured finger ball was better than nothing) was this horrid thing that caused pain whenever I used it.

Again I had it for quite a while before I convinced myself it was a bad fit, and then I had to convince my boss to allocate some money out of the hardware budget to replace it with something functionally identical. I acquired the logitech wired thumb operated model that predates the M570, and have used it for the past 10+ years.

At home I have one of the last microsoft trackballs; again I find it a joy, but the times I've tried finger trackballs I find the same areas of my hand tensing, straining.

I'm more than willing to concede it's like keyboard usage: ergonomic is in the hands of the inputter. But for my money, I'll be sticking to thumb operated models.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 00:36:42 »
That's interesting. I don't mean to demean anyone's experience with this topic - but mine is so drastically different from yours, I find it very intriguing.

What finger(s) were you operating it with? Can you describe how you were using it? I'm not trying to find something you were doing 'wrong' - I just want to get a complete picture of your experience.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 09:11:22 »
I have a hard time articulating with my thumbs.  It makes me bad at console FPSes and it keeps me away from thumb balls. It just frustrates me so much, I feel so restricted.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:45:56 »
I have both the Logitech Trackman wired versions--the one with the thumb and the one with the fingers.  My preference is for the thumb and here's why.

With the thumb model, my hand is resting naturally, even when idle.  The thumb is resting normally too.  When in use, only the parts of my hand that have to move, have to move, so the amount of effort/strain is minimal.  I can work 12hrs+ on one of these with zero strain (just like my IBM M).

On the finger model, my fingers must rest extended on the ball--not terribly strained in any way, but after about 6hrs, I feel tendon strain on the top of my wrist.  Also, fingers are most comfortable moving in one axis--bending.  The finger ball requires them to move sideways too, which also adds to the strain.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:38:16 »
If I'm cranking my hand all the way out past the tenkey I'm not going to set it there and just use a single thumb!  Between the ball, scroll wheel, buttons and chords on my ExpertMouse I've got 8 input functions going on.  It's a whole-arm experience.  I like the way the finger ball is situated dead center in the middle of all of it.  I noticed the other day, when my hands were tired from other stuff, I was able to change the angle of my arm and it felt completely different.  A finger ball lets you choose between using the pads or fingertips, as well as how many fingers to use for more precise control.  A thumb, you can only use the one digit.  The ExpertMouse has such a huge ball, 3 or 4 fingers (and/or the thumb! ) can be used to change the way you interact with the mouse.

The angle of the top of the ExpertMouse was terrible for me.  I put a 1/2" thick piece of foam under the FRONT of the base and the top of the trackball sits almost level.  This is perfect for my setup.  The angle of the top is adjustable by sliding the foam under the base of the trackball.  If I could sink it into the top of the desk and still have the ability to rotate the whole device when I move around, I would love to.
Jesus loves you.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 11:57:45 »
My first trackball was the thumb-operated Logitech TrackMan Wheel, because the design looked more familiar. However, I abandoned it three years later, when my index finger started to feel seriously sore from scrolling/clicking. I've been using ambidextrous trackballs (Logitech TrackMan Marble and Kensington Slimblade Trackball) ever since. Whenever I feel any sign of strain, I can switch hands.

Every single thumb-operated trackball I've tried has felt cramped as well… Well, except MTO, but its sensitivity isn't exactly the greatest.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 11:59:59 »
I suppose my trackball experience may have been "ruined" from the get go (my first is a Microsoft Trackball Explorer I found a thrift store for next to nothing). I was shocked when I saw the resale value, but it's my #2 favorite item at work (#1 being my Realforce 87u 55g!). I wouldn't sell it for any price.

I picked up a Logitech M570 not too long ago for $20. Really don't understand the hype for thumballs either. Sure, it's wireless but more clunky and not nearly as comfortable to use. Also don't like using my thumb - it seems to put more strain on my wrist than the finger ball. Maybe it's just that particular thumbball, but for real comfort, the palm/finger ball seems to be the real winner.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 04:39:42 »
It just feels right. I can use it for well over 12 hours without anything hurting. Minimal movement is necessary and my unusually large female hand can sprawl out to where it feels natural. These are the greatest mice to ever exist and I'm sad they don't make them anymore. I have one fully functional one left and then I have a Logitech M570 that I carry with my laptop. Honestly, I would love to find the person at Microsoft who decided to discontinue these and do things to them I can't mention on the Internet. Luckily found the one I have now for $1 at a yard sale and grabbed it like a loose $100 bill since I know the value and that's practically what they go for on the Internet. This is what I've used ever since I can remember it existing in my house. I was quite young at the time and can recall using a standard mouse at school and hating it, even asking why there was no trackball, only to get laughed at. This is what a mouse is to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004Y7MT/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_12?colid=85R1K1FMEZUR&coliid=I21ZGNQY4K3AZ8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005853X/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_11?colid=85R1K1FMEZUR&coliid=IR57FHXZO3RPT
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:14:06 »
I use the following all of the time at home:
98039-0

I've probably used it for ten years.

This past week, I went on Ebay and bought three different professional/military surplus type trackballs to try out. They were cheap and still in the box, so it will be like Christmas. Besides, I need a trackball for work rather than this HP mouse.