Author Topic: [IC] Sagittarius (dates, proxies and US prices announced)  (Read 138648 times)

Offline callidumnomen

This is perfect. Forget the B agnostics they can't pick a side.

Offline RossLocke18

I personally really like this! Only thing I would suggest is to potentially make use of all the dead space in the middle. An engraving, logo, badge, rotary lol. But I will certainly be keeping my eyes on this one :)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
I personally really like this! Only thing I would suggest is to potentially make use of all the dead space in the middle. An engraving, logo, badge, rotary lol. But I will certainly be keeping my eyes on this one :)

We already have something on that space. You are gonna love it!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071

Nudge nudge wink wink.  Say no more, say no more.
More
Great design and amazing write-ups!

My only comment is just being nit-picky - I'm not a huge fan of the recessed logo so close to where hands might glaze/rub/touch. It seems to me that it would collect more dust/grim than if it was placed on the upper corners/middle. Personally, I would love to see a Sagittarius themed logo - maybe the constellation can be a backdrop to the cannonkeys logo?

My only comment is just being nit-picky - I'm not a huge fan of the recessed logo so close to where hands might glaze/rub/touch. It seems to me that it would collect more dust/grim than if it was placed on the upper corners/middle. Personally, I would love to see a Sagittarius themed logo - maybe the constellation can be a backdrop to the cannonkeys logo?
Your objections to the logo placement makes sense to me.

I’d also like to see a Sagittarius logo, as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be surprised. There is a Sagittarius logo on Sagittarius, but you can't see it. Yet.

Careful inspection of the PCB hints at a location for the Sagittarius logo.
More
Show Image

ssshhh ssshhh
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2020, 18:31:11 by dvorcol »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Nudge nudge wink wink.  Say no more, say no more.
More

Your objections to the logo placement makes sense to me.

I’d also like to see a Sagittarius logo, as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be surprised. There is a Sagittarius logo on Sagittarius, but you can't see it. Yet.

Careful inspection of the PCB hints at a location for the Sagittarius logo.
More
Show Image

ssshhh ssshhh

wink wink
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Wamuu

I've finally found the first ergo board I actually want to buy. This is the one!

Offline lakeboredom

Very excited to try this layout. The big rounded corners of the case are an aesthetic turn off though. To mirror what someone else commented, I think it's the combination of rounded corners and sharper squared off edges in the middle that I find kind of mismatched.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Very excited to try this layout. The big rounded corners of the case are an aesthetic turn off though. To mirror what someone else commented, I think it's the combination of rounded corners and sharper squared off edges in the middle that I find kind of mismatched.

Agreed on all points.

Offline mizuwolf

Ohhh man I love the arrow keys option; I'd be alllll over this if it was hotswap! Fingers crossed you're able to make that work c:

Offline openstruct

Count me in!

Offline Wamuu

Ohhh man I love the arrow keys option; I'd be alllll over this if it was hotswap! Fingers crossed you're able to make that work c:

Probably impossible to do without giving up the ability to use rotary encoders.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Agreed on all points.

Case is being reworked and we should see an update soon!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Probably impossible to do without giving up the ability to use rotary encoders.

Right on the dot -- also, doing hotswap with suspended PCB designs like top mount and gasket is a nightmare because we have to include posts on the PCB and plates, making for a new plate+PCB kit. This is a double-edged sword because if we offer that as an addon on top of a possible default solderable PCB and "normal" plate people will get angry because they are forced into getting two kits. On the other hand, if we make it a new kit that can be selected, it will break kit numbers -- possibly not reaching MOQ on the process -- and making for more logistics, more kits to manage, more shipping.

Hotswap also has technical problems, such as a shortened PCB lifespan and the possibility of popping the sockets out.

Offline DukeEsquire

Just mill-max it.

Offline FlitzDeelman

Just mill-max it.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I know it’s been asked on at least one of the GBs I’m following.

Can the PCB be Mill-Maxed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Case is being reworked and we should see an update soon!

Great news, thanks Gondo!

Offline perry4761

Count me in!

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
Interesting...I'll keep an eye on this.

Offline Kahgen

On my radar for sure. The anticipation is killing me!

Offline kommotion

Very interested! Really want to see what the new case design looks like.

Offline jmcameron

Please add me to the list of interested people!
-Jonathan

Offline RedBananaBread

Very interesting layout! Keeping an eye on this :D

Offline Xpliscit

Add me to list! Can't wait

Offline hudsonnc

Re: [IC] Sagittarius, a gasket-mount optimized ergonomic layout custom keyboard
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:15:06 »
I am very interested! Please add me to the list :)

I really love your approach to this -- optimization using mathematical bio-mechanical models, testing with real humans with an eye towards making this usable for people with repetitive use injuries, etc. Really nice work. And my condolences about your friend. It's really lovely that you are trying to help out his family a bit with the proceeds, and I would be honored to contribute (and get a sweet keyboard too!).

Offline perry4761

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:42:58 »
Having the option of choosing a case with rounded cutouts for the knobs would be a very nice addition, even though I totally understand all the reasons why you might not want to do that. Can’t wait for this to go into GB, I love the scientific approach you guys took for this board! I hope this layout catches on

Offline Xpliscit

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 13:17:33 »
What about a frosted polycarb case option?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:41:25 »
Having the option of choosing a case with rounded cutouts for the knobs would be a very nice addition, even though I totally understand all the reasons why you might not want to do that. Can’t wait for this to go into GB, I love the scientific approach you guys took for this board! I hope this layout catches on

Rounded cutouts do not support switches, unfortunately

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:42:04 »
What about a frosted polycarb case option?

If Upas can offer it, I don't see why not. The format of the group buy (colors, materials, quantities) is totally up to him

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:57:18 »
Probably wont appeal to most people, but I really think a delrin (POM) or polycarb bottom with the aluminum top would fit this case well. Specifically a grey delrin bottom would be killer with that midnight blue top. It could cost less than polycarb due to how easy it is to machine and the surface of delrin just has a really cool ghostly look to it that no other material can match. Anyways just want to say I love this board. Also like the idea of punching small holes in the top case to let light through and drive home that constellation look.

Offline Ammomruoy

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 06:07:33 »
Cant wait for this one! Count me in please!

Offline Wamuu

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 17:58:02 »
I'm buying KAT Cyberspace specifically for this board. I hope Upas includes a dark grey or black color option!!!!!

Offline Xpliscit

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 19:23:18 »
Is there an updated (estimated) timeline for GB? Or is UPAS the decider on that?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 20:25:45 »
Is there an updated (estimated) timeline for GB? Or is UPAS the decider on that?

He is currently reworking the case and it's hard to give an estimate. It's done when we feel the case is on par with design standards and we are sure that we have achieved the feedback given here.

Offline Wamuu

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 20:37:26 »
any chance the PCB will also be VIA compatible?

Offline HRB

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 22:08:18 »
I can wait for all other keycap sets and boards without any problem, but I get really impatient with this board. I want it asap so bad.

Offline samanth

• Thocc
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 22:39:56 »
Definitely on my list. Always in for a good cause. Cheers.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #236 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 23:13:20 »
any chance the PCB will also be VIA compatible?

PCB will definitely be VIA compatible, don't need to resort to chance  :D

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #237 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 23:14:03 »
I can wait for all other keycap sets and boards without any problem, but I get really impatient with this board. I want it asap so bad.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 23:15:11 »
Definitely on my list. Always in for a good cause. Cheers.

Thanks mate! Cheers!

Offline HRB

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 23:19:36 »

Show Image

I meant.. I only waited less than two months now and it feels like it's been at least 4~5 months since I first read this IC post. Can't wait

Offline Wamuu

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 07:27:59 »
I'm curious to see how the RGB will look on the pcb. So the only points of RGB on the board will be the points that create the Sagittarius?  Won't a significant of the RGB then not actually be underneath the solid parts of the case and not under keys where they can be appreciated?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 11:14:33 »
I'm curious to see how the RGB will look on the pcb. So the only points of RGB on the board will be the points that create the Sagittarius?  Won't a significant of the RGB then not actually be underneath the solid parts of the case and not under keys where they can be appreciated?

Albeit being under the case, you will be able to see the RGB lights.

Offline Mistah

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 15:19:13 »
I really love it! Good job to both you and Tom; I hope his family is doing okay, Tom is lucky to have had such a good friend.

I'm not sure if you were still considering layout changes, or if it's solidified by now, but I have a question/suggestion if you are. What do you think of an inward left hand slant the same way the right hand slants, like in the Atreus or Boardrun? I'm curious on how that would fit into the optimization logic, or if the ergonomic slant was already considered.

I'm excited for this keyboard; I'll be watching it!

Edit: for the first time, I've read through all threads and understood the reasoning. Fair points! Interested to see what the middle space will be used for.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2020, 14:39:17 by Mistah »

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 23:04:47 »
From Cannon Keys Newsletter on August 13 titled "CannonKeys Update: Naevy Switches, GMK First Love and Bunch of Deskmat Extras", there is a little snippet that says:

For those interested in the Sagittarius - our revised design is done, and we've ordered prototypes.

Ahhhhhh!!
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2020, 23:06:20 by TopreMoon »

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 07:42:01 »
I only just noticed that the 6 key is on the left hand section and that makes me so sad.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 11:46:56 »
I only just noticed that the 6 key is on the left hand section and that makes me so sad.

There already were discussions on the B, the 6, the Y, the space cluster. Choices are explained there

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 12:03:55 »
Update #3:

From Cannon Keys Newsletter on August 13 titled "CannonKeys Update: Naevy Switches, GMK First Love and Bunch of Deskmat Extras", there is a little snippet that says:

For those interested in the Sagittarius - our revised design is done, and we've ordered prototypes.

Ahhhhhh!!

Upas allowed me some sneak peek on the new case and.. Phew.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2020, 12:06:24 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] Sagittarius (New case prototype ordered!)
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 17:44:35 »
Update #3:

Ahhhhhh!!

Upas allowed me some sneak peek on the new case and.. Phew.
What a tease!

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:33:17 »

There already were discussions on the B, the 6, the Y, the space cluster. Choices are explained there

ahh yep, have read through it, for anybody else frantically searching for “6”, the discussion is on page 4.

yeah, I think it was that in Europe they teach touch typing with 6 on left, while when I learnt in Australia, it was taught with 6 on right. Not gonna say right or wrong, but this is what I learnt and that’s why it makes me sad.

The nice thing about split orthos though is that 6, Y are always on right side, and B is on left. This is perfect for me.

Thank you though and good luck with everything, still think this is a beautiful board, and it was pretty much the only Alice-style I would consider

Offline tripnvll

Re: [IC] Sagittarius (New case prototype ordered!)
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 13:39:34 »
I used the printable layout guide to make an approximation of this layout on a two board Dumang DK6 Ergo (limited to 1u and 1.25u modules for now). The DK6 Ergo boards are a bit too narrow to fit the PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys in this layout, but the standard size DK6 rectangular boards (206mm wide vs the 147mm wide larger sections of the DK6 Ergo) would almost certainly fit them. Liking it so far after about half an hour of using it, but I will be modifying it a bit as the backspace and pipe keys are a bit too much of a stretch for my small hands/short fingers. I'll probably incorporate an arrow cluster and one or two horizontal/vertical combo thumb keys as well and of course replace the keycaps with something nicer.

250042-0