Author Topic: [GB] Navi60 - "Serial Experiments Lain" themed 60% Keyboard - #lainttl | LIVE  (Read 124250 times)

Offline psychetype

Navi60

Trailer 1:
Trailer 2:

Hi everyone,
We are psychetype and we would like to introduce our first project, the Navi60.

The Navi60 is a 60% top mount/o-ring mount with a full CNC aluminum case and brass weight.

This project is a part of the #lainttl  (time to live) program. We aim to provide a high quality keyboard for both keyboard and Lain enthusiasts. https://www.nbcuni.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/lain/ttl/

Design:

Its design is inspired by Abe’s original design of Lain’s personal Navi computer/keyboard. The kit comes with a two-piece case with a brass weight that is engraved with the Copland OS logo.

Navi60 Specifications
(Case + PCB designed by Neil from DeskDaily)
•7° typing angle
•Effective Keyboard Height (EKH) = 22.94mm
•Case weight (including Brass weight) = 914g
•Case material: 6063 Aluminum w/ Brass Weight
•Brass weight sandblasted + anti-fingerprint/anti-tarnish coating
•Hardware Materials: 18-8 Stainless Steel (case screws/daughterboard screws)
•Mounting support: Top mount/O-ring mount
•Plate Material: FR4, Aluminum, POM

PCB Specifications:
•PCB Thickness: 1.6mm
•Unified Daughterboard includes ESD protection + fuse: https://github.com/Unified-Daughterboard/UDB-C-Legacy
•QMK/VIA supported
•PCB-mount stabilizer support

Case color options:

Red Anode

Green Anode

Silver Anode

Black Anode

E-Beige

PCB options:
•ANSI hotswap
•ISO hotswap
•Solder
Layout options:

Hotswap ANSI/ISO (not inclusive)

Solder (Supports ANSI/ISO/JIS, split backspace, split shifts, Tsangan bottom row, split 3u-1u-3u space, 7u space, stepped caps lock)

New plate design on the left, old design on the right. Both files will be available in the Discord during GB. Split-spaces and Minila space will require clip-in stabs

What's Included:
•Two-Piece CNC Aluminum case w/ Brass weight•
•PCB
•Plate
•Unified Daughterboard w/ JST Cable
•Plate foam
•USB-C cable
•Medium size O-ring from Graveshift (40A stiffness)
•Keycap/Switch puller
•3M Rubber feet + Screws
•2mm hex key + 1.5mm hex key
•Durock v2 stabilizers (smokey black kit with 2 additional 3u wires)
•psychetype pin
•psychetype sticker pack (art from Orange of OranArt Studio)

Box art by mitiminami777

Pricing:
Base price with FR4 plate = 210 USD
+8 USD for FR4 add-on
+8 USD for POM plate (16 USD if add-on)
+20 USD for Alu plate (31 USD if add-on)
+15 USD for E-Beige
+28 USD for extra Solder PCB (Add-on)
+32 USD for extra Hotswap PCB (Add-on)

Vendor List:
UK: Proto[Typist]: https://prototypist.net/collections/live-group-buys/products/group-buy-navi60
CA: Ashkeebs: https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/navi60-keyboard/
JP: Basekeys: https://basekeys.jp/en/products/navi60
US: KeebsForAll: https://keebsforall.com/products/navi-60
EU: KEYGEM: https://keygem.com/products/navi60-keyboard-kit-group-buy
OCE: ALL CAPS: https://allcaps.store/products/gb-navi60
Asia: PantheonKeys: https://pantheonkeys.com/collections/ongoing-group-buys/products/gb-psychetype-navi60
VN: The Keebs Store: https://thekeebs.store/products/groupbuy-navi60-keyboard-kit
PH: DeskDaily (Designer): https://navi60.deskdaily.design/

GB Time:
Timeline:
    • Oct 9th-Nov 8th
    • Runs for 30 days
    • Expected delivery in Q2 2024 (rough estimate, holidays may affect delivery slightly)

Reviews:
Alexotos (Sep 1st) - Watch review here
(PCB movement is now removed by switching to Medium size O-ring)

Photos by alexotos

Socials
*Updates will be posted on Geekhack and Discord*
Discord
Twitter
Instagram

THANK YOU
Thank you to our artists:
mitiminami
visualmemoryunit
mr_jackio
carlosbehrens
archipics
****in96og (f word lol)
sonachine69
pisca

Thank you to Kiru for showing our project to your fans

Thank you to the vendors for giving us a chance

Thank you to Alexotos for providing a fun stream and beautiful photos

Thank you to DeskDaily for being an awesome designer and mentor

Thank you to Mr. Ueda for the #lainttl program

And lastly, thank you to all of our supporters who showed interest, engaged with us, and provided helpful suggestions/feedback. The final product would have been very different if it weren't for everyone's help

Please show your support with our signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121521.0][img width=507 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/EYGIFfi.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2023, 10:39:21 by psychetype »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Navi60 - "Serial Experiments Lain" themed 60% Keyboard - #lainttl
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 11:26:32 »
Approval bump :thumb:

PSA to prospective buyers:
Group Buys are inherently risky endeavors. There is an element of risk involved with collecting payment before the item has been produced and resulting uncertainty during manufacturing / subsequent operations. We urge all GB organizers to consider (and document) these risks, and want to make it clear to all who consider purchasing that these risks are present.

If you are unfamiliar with the Group Buy model, please read this primer - Group Buy FAQ / Buying Guidelines

This PSA is new and will become standard on all Group Buys moving forward. It is not posted on this GB in isolation and is not singling this organizer out in particular as someone to be wary of.

Offline psychetype

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 15:31:44 »
Approval bump :thumb:

PSA to prospective buyers:
Group Buys are inherently risky endeavors. There is an element of risk involved with collecting payment before the item has been produced and resulting uncertainty during manufacturing / subsequent operations. We urge all GB organizers to consider (and document) these risks, and want to make it clear to all who consider purchasing that these risks are present.

If you are unfamiliar with the Group Buy model, please read this primer - Group Buy FAQ / Buying Guidelines

This PSA is new and will become standard on all Group Buys moving forward. It is not posted on this GB in isolation and is not singling this organizer out in particular as someone to be wary of.

Thank you for approving HoffmanMyster!! :D And thank you for the PSA, this GB will be some people's first GB that they participate in. This is helpful since some of them are not too familiar with the GB model and its inherent risks. Although this is our first project, we spent a lot of time studying other projects' successes/failures to help refine our own kit. We've also been closely monitoring what has happened in the hobby this past year. All of our vendors are also aware of the recent events and are proceeding with new projects such as ours with more caution. We are in a group chat with all of the vendors for better communication and accountability. Since this is a fan project based on our love for Lain and keyboards, we want nothing more than our supporters successfully receiving a Lain-themed keeb :thumb:

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 16:30:40 »
Excited for the GB. Can’t wait for next week.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 19:49:13 »
Do you have photos of the finalised plates rn as they said that they would be on the gb post.

GLWGB
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline psychetype

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:25:12 »
Do you have photos of the finalised plates rn as they said that they would be on the gb post.

GLWGB

Hi Rhienfo, sorry for the delay, just had to confirm some final details with the new plate design. I posted a photo of the plates up-close as well as a render of the new design. The new design is mostly the same but adds split-space/minila space support and additional support to right shift layouts. However, both split-space and minila space will require clip-in stabilizers to keep the lower railing of the plate that sandwiches the o-ring. Both files will be uploaded to our Discord sometime during the GB period in case people want to try another plate material

Offline RandoSis

• Events after my death are not canon
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:41:48 »
Nice, and thanks for the images of the new plates.
Luck with GB! I'll wait out to join, probably gonna be doing it late October or early November.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 08:35:42 »
this is awesome for that price!!! GL with the GB  ;D
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fops

• 👍
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 14:41:24 »
this board got me so excited it brought me out of my lurking streak :))

Offline psychetype

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 15:17:29 »
Nice, and thanks for the images of the new plates.
Luck with GB! I'll wait out to join, probably gonna be doing it late October or early November.

this is awesome for that price!!! GL with the GB  ;D

this board got me so excited it brought me out of my lurking streak :))

Thank you so much everyone!! :-[

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 18:19:43 »
Hi Rhienfo, sorry for the delay, just had to confirm some final details with the new plate design. I posted a photo of the plates up-close as well as a render of the new design. The new design is mostly the same but adds split-space/minila space support and additional support to right shift layouts. However, both split-space and minila space will require clip-in stabilizers to keep the lower railing of the plate that sandwiches the o-ring. Both files will be uploaded to our Discord sometime during the GB period in case people want to try another plate material

Oh cool thanks you for the more clear images. Very cool project GLWGB :)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fuster

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 22:44:42 »
I really like the desing, count me in. Is there a possibility to buy 2 cases in the same order? I don't know if I should go for the red or black one

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 12:34:21 »
Alex's photo of the red board is much more promising than the render! I am so in, my dude.

Offline psychetype

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 22:14:01 »
I really like the desing, count me in. Is there a possibility to buy 2 cases in the same order? I don't know if I should go for the red or black one

I'm glad to hear that! ;D Sorry my friend, the cases can't be configured as add-ons this late, though that would have been a good idea :(

Alex's photo of the red board is much more promising than the render! I am so in, my dude.

Hehe I agree, looks much better in person ;)

Offline givemecopper

I've just ordered a Silver one with the Aluminium plate and the ANSI-Hotswap PCB. Also got an extra Solder PCB for my backup. Honestly, I'm really impressed with your conscientiousness. Hope everything goes well!

Offline psychetype

I've just ordered a Silver one with the Aluminium plate and the ANSI-Hotswap PCB. Also got an extra Solder PCB for my backup. Honestly, I'm really impressed with your conscientiousness. Hope everything goes well!

THANK YOU!! ;D I answered the question you had on the IC page but just in case I'll answer here as well. The PCB movement has been fixed by switching to a medium size o-ring. If you join the Discord, I show a comparison video of the PCB movement with the small o-ring and medium o-ring. I'll pin it so you can find it easier. Also, for o-ring mount with hotswap, I recommend these screws from KBDfans: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-m2-3-countersunk-flat-head-screw-kit to prevent the o-ring mount pressure from dislodging the PCB from the plate. And thanks again buddy, I really appreciate your support! :-[

Offline givemecopper

So far this is the only GB that I can see the makers put their 100% effort to the project. From answering every customers' questions to perfecting the keyboard details, your enthusiasm totally convinced me to join the GB  ;D Good luck!

this is such a cool proj. Def will be joining the group buy ;D ;D ;D
-applepie

Offline psychetype

So far this is the only GB that I can see the makers put their 100% effort to the project. From answering every customers' questions to perfecting the keyboard details, your enthusiasm totally convinced me to join the GB  ;D Good luck!

this is such a cool proj. Def will be joining the group buy ;D ;D ;D

Thank you everyone :-[ :-[

Offline noodleman

is the case compatible with hiney pcbs?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
 :thumb:Joining at the start of November. Need that red!
Do you recommend a particular plate for light tactile switches?

EDIT: Didn't see the POM option, totally getting that + alu
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2023, 21:53:38 by lush_bunny »

Offline psychetype

is the case compatible with hiney pcbs?

Hi noodleman, I see your question was answered in the Discord by our designer but I'll post the answer here as well:

"solder hiney pcbs should be compatible.
not sure about the hotswap pcbs. for the navi60 hotswap pcb, I slighty moved the jst connector because of the hotswap socket"

:thumb:Joining at the start of November. Need that red!
Do you recommend a particular plate for light tactile switches?

EDIT: Didn't see the POM option, totally getting that + alu

Awesome, thank you!! ;D Yea I think alu would be good option :thumb:

Offline psychetype

Re: [GB] Navi60 - "Serial Experiments Lain" themed 60% Keyboard - #lainttl | LIVE
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 December 2023, 16:31:11 »
First major update:

Most invoices for vendors have been paid for. Production started for cases and packaging. Stabs are already done and being shipped. All other accessories have been paid for (JST cable, foams, USB cable, screws, etc.) with most arriving already for us to pack. PCBs are the last the vendors need to pay for, and production for that will start soon. :thumb:

Offline psychetype

Re: [GB] Navi60 - "Serial Experiments Lain" themed 60% Keyboard - #lainttl | LIVE
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 December 2023, 08:52:02 »
All invoices paid which means case/pcb/packaging production can fully begin :D Also, almost done packing the accessories :thumb:

Offline psychetype

Here is the assembly video to help out those who will be building their first mechanical keyboard :) includes a small sound test and extra info about the Navi60
Also, in terms of progress, the packaging manu has sent the boxes to our case manu. Case manu is almost done with the CNC process. PCB manu is in full production. Things are pretty smooth so far, hopefully we can get ahead of Chinese New Year!

Offline psychetype

CNC/polishing and PCB production complete, which leaves anode/packing as the last step of production :thumb: Sadly, seems like the anode will not be done before CNY so an earlier fulfillment in Q1 will probably not happen :-[ still looking on track to fulfill in Q2 though, here are some preview pictures!

Pantone matching

Debug boards are for color testing purposes only

Offline afterwit

Bummed that I missed this GB - will the vendors have extras or is there a mailing list I can subscribe to for availability?

Offline psychetype

Bummed that I missed this GB - will the vendors have extras or is there a mailing list I can subscribe to for availability?

Hi afterwit, I'll DM you!

Offline crowTFT

Hi, could you also DM me about this? Thanks!

Offline ciron56

Could i also get a DM please!!

Offline psychetype

Could i also get a DM please!!

DMs sent :thumb:

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
would you be so kind and DM me as well? I missed out on this and if I’d be glad if I could secure a unit before my local vendor’s extras sale

Offline psychetype

would you be so kind and DM me as well? I missed out on this and if I’d be glad if I could secure a unit before my local vendor’s extras sale

Ofc, just sent :D

Offline geec

• Noob

Offline psychetype

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)

Ofc, just sent :D

my sincerest apologies I just replied with a terrible delay. just making sure you received it.

Offline psychetype

All anode production is complete and e-coats will be finished within the next two days :) Navis should be shipped to the vendors this week!

Offline psychetype

Short announcement as Navis are already starting to arrive for some:

When you receive your package, you should have received the main keyboard box containing the case, PCB(s), and plate(s) as well as a separate accessory box.

Please confirm your accessory box has the following essential items:
  • Durock v2 stabilizer kit
  • Daughterboard
  • Daughterboard screws + rubber feet + JST cable
  • Plate screws
  • O-ring
  • Plate foam
If you are missing any of these items, you can email support@psychety.pe or join our Discord and open a ticket: https://discord.gg/DFGrQAtfnc. You can also message us on Geekhack. Then we can ship any missing item directly to you. If you are missing any of the extra items (stickers, pin, hex key, usb cable) you can send us a message for these as well, of course :thumb:

Vendors closer to China will receive Navis soon while the rest of the vendors will probably receive them in May or June by the latest. If you need to change your address, please do so now by contacting your vendor. If you live in/near the Asia region, you can expect the boards to arrive from April to early May. For the rest of the vendors, I would expect the boards to arrive from May to early June.

And lastly, thank you all for your support and patience, we are finally at the last stages!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2024, 21:02:33 by psychetype »