Author Topic: [IC]Original Aspiration (OA) Switch - GB is live  (Read 37595 times)

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
[IC]Original Aspiration (OA) Switch - GB is live
« on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 11:18:44 »
Smooth Linear by JWK - designed and customize by Wuque Studio

GB IS LIVE at OA switch official page: https://shop.wuquestudio.com/products/original-aspiration-oa-switch-gb

Smaples Update

REVIEW AND SOUND TEST

Samples images and videos:https://imgur.com/a/Yjx8iJg
Original Render: https://imgur.com/a/xyLtijr
IC FORM: https://forms.gle/sMEk8RCDVPHTiWSy6
Discord server: https://discord.gg/fFrr3Du

Features:
67g gold plated spring
Polycarbonate top housing
UHMWPE bottom housing
POM stem
5 pin PCB mount
No factory Lube
Price: US$0.6 each, comes with 10/pack

Proxy Update:
* US: Cannon Keys
* Canada: Mech Land
* EU: CandyKeys
* Aus: Daily Clack
* Japan: Yushakobo]
* South Korea:Monstargear
* Vietnam:TaoBaoSop

GB schedule:

* Group buy opens:Sept. 24 at 4pm PST
* Group buy ends: Oct. 9 at 4PM PST
* Delivery: Nov. 23 - Dec. 8 2020

Review/Sound Test:

Andy V Nguyen
Review video will be published at 4 PM PST, Sep. 23th on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQplPvMnmi-cjgqZBsnHA
Live stream at 6:30 PM PST, Sep. 23th, on Twitcha at https://www.twitch.tv/andyvnguyen

Giveaway

1.We will host 2-3 giveaways for these switches on Reddit and over at our Discord server during the group buy. No purchase necessary. Keep an eye out for the reddit posts and discord pings!

2.Everyone who orders OA switches from any of the vendors as well as official website will be qualified to enter a very special contest. The prize is 3 free spot in the Ikki68 Aurora group buy scheduled to launch before this Christmas. If you haven't seen the IC post, it's a gasket mounted, polycarbonate 68% with multiple dampening pads and split spacebar support. More details
at https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/ityff1/icikki68_auroraa_gasket_mount_polycarbonate_kit/.
Giveaway details at https://shop.wuquestudio.com/blogs/news/oa-switch-x-ikki68-aurora-giveaway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys!
The Original Aspiration (OA) Switch is designed by Wuque from Wuque Studio.

Why“Original Aspiration”-- The Narrative from Wuque

Flowers will bloom again, but people will never be young again. And the passing of time is like flowing water, although always got blocked, it endlessly continuous.
When goes from childhood immature to youthful madness, a man will inevitably experience failure and collapse. But in the end, he will remain water-like peace on his face, because his pride does not allow him to tell others about the days he has gone through. The most valuable things is that, he knows he is different, but his original aspiration still persists.

I have long wanted to design a switch. From the original EVA color to the coal ash ( as show in our discord server) and other colors, I tried a lot of colors, but I always felt they did not have souls. After a small drink one night, I have the above thoughts. I made up my mind to create an “Original Aspiration (初心)” switch, the crystal clear blue housing symbolizes the treasurable still-water-like peaceful heart, we all have original aspiration, but it is always difficult to keep it all the way we go, so I just make the stem white and wish it can always stay pure. Everything is hopeful, everything can be expected. May you return with a young heart after years of fighting.

I communicated with several switch factories and finally selected JWK, using the latest mold production, 67g pressure, linear. If you like it please fill in our IC form or join our Discord server to follow up.
We are expecting samples from JWK at the end of August or early September, and will also giveaway some free packages (5 switches each) before we open GB. Stay tuned with us :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2020, 19:03:20 by Ckeeb »

Offline yoot

• none
Re: [IC]Original Aspiration (OA) Switch
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 11:19:51 »
Is it full UHWMPE bottom or a mix?

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 13:09:02 »
What have you actually designed? Didn't you just recolour an existing product?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 15:41:18 »
If it was 100% UHMWPE wouldn’t it be opaque?

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 15:52:42 »
Looks flashy like stars in the sky

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 16:47:44 »
Awesome. I'm in, unless shipping is 20$

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 19:42:27 »
I’m intrigued

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 19:46:47 »

There are actually not so many UHWMPE bottom housing JWK switches :))

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 19:48:36 »

No worries if you are not in North pole

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 19:57:08 »
so will you have a external vendor?

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 20:11:35 »

For EU?

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 23:42:25 »

There are actually not so many UHWMPE bottom housing JWK switches :))

Tangies claim to have it.

Repainting your bedroom doesn't make you an architect, picking two colors from a chart for an existing product doesn't really make you a designer either.

How much UHMWPE is in the product, and can you prove it, since thw tangies are controversial?

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 01:02:38 »
Is it full UHWMPE bottom or a mix?

Confirming with JWK

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 01:19:45 »
May I suggest to set this switch apart from other recolours by throwing something like a 98g spring in there?
Would love to see that type of heavier switch come out.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 02:27:34 »
Soooo... Tangies?
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 03:49:33 »
May I suggest to set this switch apart from other recolours by throwing something like a 98g spring in there?
Would love to see that type of heavier switch come out.
Man you are in every switch interest check begging for 98 gram switches, almost nobody wants springs that heavy, just buy a decent switch and do a spring swap if you want to feel like pushing bricks.

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:04:47 »
So first people are saying that this isn't full UHMWPE. Yeah of course it's a mix, as are Tangies. People were quick to call this out from the very first images released of the switch. True 100% UHMWPE is extremely opaque and is most commonly white. The colored translucent housing can only be achieved with UHMWPE by mixing it with another polymer. How much of a mix is anyone's guess. Even TKC doesn't know how much UHMWPE is in the Tangie housing. They are pretty much forced to trust what the manufacturer tells them; there is a substantial amount of UHMWPE in the housing polymer mix, because JWK isn't stupid enough to release their proprietary "formula" for making literally the first UHMWPE switch housing in existence. This is a hot topic of discussion and has been ever since Tangie V2s were announced. The truth is the public will never know with 100% certainty what the mix is unless 1. JWK releases the "formula" or 2. Someone wants to spend and ungodly amount of time and money to have the housing tested at a lab and reverse engineer the mix. I realize the main point of contention for UHMWPE switches are for marketing the switch as "UHMWPE housing" when the exact amount is unknown. But as previously mentioned, the point is moot and we'll run around in circles discussing it. At the end of the day, it's a very good switch for a good price.

Yes, the housing color is different. If you're upset about it I would like to point you in the direction of literally every single JWK & Durock recolor that has been made in 2019-2020. From Alpacas and H1s to Dogikons and Moss, they're all more or less the same housing with varying spring weights and different colors. There is clearly a market for these. From my perspective, this OA falls under the same category as a recolor.

The main difference here would be the top housing. A large point of dissatisfaction with the Tangie V2s was that they were very clacky, particularly on the upstroke. This is why many people opt to swap to a different top housing like Cherry or Cream tops. The polycarb top housing on this would eliminate the clack in much the same way, making the upstroke sound closer to an Alpaca than a Tangie.

While I don't necessarily have a problem with the material or color, what I am concerned about are the rights to another UHMWPE housing switch. I highly doubt that TKC/C3 simply allows anyone to use their same process to create another UHMWPE switch in direct competition with their own. I imagine that would be similar to someone asking Gateron to make their own variation on the Ink. Obviously JWK is no stranger to working with third party clients to make a switch custom to their specifications. But to use the same bottom housing molds as C3's Tangies...sounds like a bit of a stretch to me (unless any mold created and used by JWK just becomes a part of their "mold library" so to speak, or these bottom housings are from JWK's own proprietary molds). If it were really that simple I would think we would have seen another IC/GB about another UHMWPE switch, especially given the popularity of the Tangie V2s. Please feel free to clarify/correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

All that being said, I look forward to the samples and hope a sound test will be available soon.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:09:38 »
Man you are in every switch interest check begging for 98 gram switches, almost nobody wants springs that heavy, just buy a decent switch and do a spring swap if you want to feel like pushing bricks.
My apologies, good sir.
I guess you are right, there is no point in asking for something else than what the market is currently flooded with.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:13:14 »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:43:51 »

People want a back story now for hype building and feeling more invested in the products they buy.

Repainting your bedroom doesn't make you an architect, picking two colors from a chart for an existing product doesn't really make you a designer either.

Careful now. A lot of "designers" churning out GMK kits inspired by colour matchers and their fans will take offense.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 06:45:40 by harlekein »

Offline Xdoc6

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 08:50:50 »
I don’t really understand all the hate. Just about every new switch this year has been a jwk re color. These look nice, and why wouldn’t we want more competition For/just more of tangies?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 09:29:50 »
Looks good I'm probably in

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 09:41:19 »
I don’t really understand all the hate. Just about every new switch this year has been a jwk re color. These look nice, and why wouldn’t we want more competition For/just more of tangies?
Exactly... its recolor of a pretty good switch. Buy it or don't.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 10:02:35 »
My apologies, good sir.
I guess you are right, there is no point in asking for something else than what the market is currently flooded with.

Nobody will purchase a switch with a spring weight of 98g. Except maybe you. And unless you’re going to purchase 20-25k of these, you are the market minority in asking for this.

The reason 62-67g is offered is because those are the most popular spring weights.

This is like asking Toyota to offer the Prius in bright pink; there is no market for it. But if you want it, you can make it happen with after market parts/labor.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 10:40:51 »
Nobody will purchase a switch with a spring weight of 98g. Except maybe you. And unless you’re going to purchase 20-25k of these, you are the market minority in asking for this.

The reason 62-67g is offered is because those are the most popular spring weights.
I do not think it would be unrealistic to hit MOQ on a group buy featuring JWK switches with a heavier spring.

That being said, I agree that 62-67g switches are (far) more popular and I am not trying to convince myself otherwise. I just think there is an untapped market for heavier switches in the 80-100g range.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 10:46:28 »
I love this color and transparency.  When this goes live, I'll stock up on 200+ for use in all of my boards, and sell my other JWK clones. 

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 11:05:10 »

I do not think it would be unrealistic to hit MOQ on a group buy featuring JWK switches with a heavier spring.

That being said, I agree that 62-67g switches are (far) more popular and I am not trying to convince myself otherwise. I just think there is an untapped market for heavier switches in the 80-100g range.

If there was an untapped market for heavier switches, I think gateron, kailh, outemu, jwk, Durock, and cherry would all offer default switches with those weights. But they don’t.

I am not attempting to argue with you about your preferences. I am attempting to point out that if this is something you are interested in, you should pursue it yourself.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:12:02 »
So first people are saying that this isn't full UHMWPE. Yeah of course it's a mix, as are Tangies. People were quick to call this out from the very first images released of the switch. True 100% UHMWPE is extremely opaque and is most commonly white. The colored translucent housing can only be achieved with UHMWPE by mixing it with another polymer. How much of a mix is anyone's guess. Even TKC doesn't know how much UHMWPE is in the Tangie housing. They are pretty much forced to trust what the manufacturer tells them; there is a substantial amount of UHMWPE in the housing polymer mix, because JWK isn't stupid enough to release their proprietary "formula" for making literally the first UHMWPE switch housing in existence. This is a hot topic of discussion and has been ever since Tangie V2s were announced. The truth is the public will never know with 100% certainty what the mix is unless 1. JWK releases the "formula" or 2. Someone wants to spend and ungodly amount of time and money to have the housing tested at a lab and reverse engineer the mix. I realize the main point of contention for UHMWPE switches are for marketing the switch as "UHMWPE housing" when the exact amount is unknown. But as previously mentioned, the point is moot and we'll run around in circles discussing it. At the end of the day, it's a very good switch for a good price.

Yes, the housing color is different. If you're upset about it I would like to point you in the direction of literally every single JWK & Durock recolor that has been made in 2019-2020. From Alpacas and H1s to Dogikons and Moss, they're all more or less the same housing with varying spring weights and different colors. There is clearly a market for these. From my perspective, this OA falls under the same category as a recolor.

The main difference here would be the top housing. A large point of dissatisfaction with the Tangie V2s was that they were very clacky, particularly on the upstroke. This is why many people opt to swap to a different top housing like Cherry or Cream tops. The polycarb top housing on this would eliminate the clack in much the same way, making the upstroke sound closer to an Alpaca than a Tangie.

While I don't necessarily have a problem with the material or color, what I am concerned about are the rights to another UHMWPE housing switch. I highly doubt that TKC/C3 simply allows anyone to use their same process to create another UHMWPE switch in direct competition with their own. I imagine that would be similar to someone asking Gateron to make their own variation on the Ink. Obviously JWK is no stranger to working with third party clients to make a switch custom to their specifications. But to use the same bottom housing molds as C3's Tangies...sounds like a bit of a stretch to me (unless any mold created and used by JWK just becomes a part of their "mold library" so to speak, or these bottom housings are from JWK's own proprietary molds). If it were really that simple I would think we would have seen another IC/GB about another UHMWPE switch, especially given the popularity of the Tangie V2s. Please feel free to clarify/correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

All that being said, I look forward to the samples and hope a sound test will be available soon.

You are correct, JWK does not tell us this finally, even their sales just said they don't know.  They almost finish one sample for us, and we asked them to make more other materials for us to test and see what comes out the better. We will have sound test to share with you.

Offline Hua.wuque

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:34:32 »
I've read all the above replies about color and material. In fact, as I am, I want to bring good things to you. I think good things may be beautiful or powerful. I dare not say that everyone can like what I bring. But our team has spent a lot of effort on each product It seems easy. In fact, in the process of doing it, we will encounter a lot of difficulties, but we still stick to the original idea and try our best to do it.
At the same time, we also accept your opinions. We will take the above questions into consideration in our future work. I also welcome more suggestions from you.
Thank U everyone!

Offline jAngeles

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:22:15 »
If these are just like tangies I'd def get a bunch of these. The tangies feel great but I just do not like the color scheme

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:45:31 »
^^ umm YES

Offline yuck

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 10:51:25 »
so you're advertising something as a certain material yet you don't even know how much uhmwpe is in the mold or if there is even any uhmwpe at all? how sad

Offline huey

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 18:17:19 »
Nothing like a deep life contemplating inspiration to help sell a bloody switch...

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 18:45:09 »
so you're advertising something as a certain material yet you don't even know how much uhmwpe is in the mold or if there is even any uhmwpe at all? how sad
That's quite normal. You are ignorant for calling him out. Switch manufacturers dont release they're formulas.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:34:07 »

For EU?
Yes

Will start contacting some EU proxy recommeded on Reddit next week, hope to confirm one before GB. Will sure announce this in the post later.

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:36:23 »
I love this color and transparency.  When this goes live, I'll stock up on 200+ for use in all of my boards, and sell my other JWK clones.

lol, we should receive some samples next week, if they are satisfying, we will update photos.

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:39:19 »
I imagine that would be similar to someone asking Gateron to make their own variation on the Ink.

Didn't Gateron do just that with 8008 ink switches? :p

But yeah I agree about C3 not being too happy about it. Good for me as a consumer but perhaps not so good for them.

Offline scrps

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:05:09 »
this

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 00:19:33 »
That's quite normal. You are ignorant for calling him out. Switch manufacturers dont release they're formulas.

You're ignorant for buying snake oil without questioning. These guys claim to have designed the switch, they should bloody well be able to back up their claims.
Any JWK GB will sell out these days, so it's a risk free cash grab, the least we as a community can ask for is some transparency.

Offline yuck

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 14:32:57 »

it's not about the formula it's about whether UHMWPE is the main material or not. these people clearly advertise it as UHMWPE yet they wouldn't even know if they switch has like 5% UHMWPE and the rest is nylon lmao

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 19:05:14 »
I imagine that would be similar to someone asking Gateron to make their own variation on the Ink.

But yeah I agree about C3 not being too happy about it. Good for me as a consumer but perhaps not so good for them.
We just believe we should bring the best we can :)

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 21:25:19 »
Love the color!

Do you have plans on making matching stabs?

Any plans for international proxies?

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 09:18:17 »
Love the color!

Stabs, may be in near future. Will contact some EU proxies and see if we can make one before GB :)

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 09:29:24 »
Love the color!

Stabs, may be in near future. Will contact some EU proxies and see if we can make one before GB :)

:thumb: excited for both the switched and the matching stabs

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 09:53:15 »
Color looks good, JWK smoothness on top of it, i would be interested.

Offline Hua.wuque

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 21:41:01 »
Love the color!

It is possible that we will launch matching stabs with the same theme in the future

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 03:13:54 »
Love the color!

It is possible that we will launch matching stabs with the same theme in the future
:thumb: Will definitely watch for these!

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 05:06:31 »

We just believe we should bring the best we can :)

Indeed they did. Dixie is the first person ever to do an Ink recolor and good for him.

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 05:18:50 »

it's not about the formula it's about whether UHMWPE is the main material or not. these people clearly advertise it as UHMWPE yet they wouldn't even know if they switch has like 5% UHMWPE and the rest is nylon lmao

Seems like people still aren't getting the point. THESE SWITCHES HAVE THE SAME MARKETING DILEMMA AS THE TANGERINE V2S. NOBODY EXCEPT JWK KNOWS HOW MUCH UHMWPE IS IN THE SWITCH. Trying to force information from the runners, information THEY 100% DO NOT HAVE, is pointless. If you have bought and enjoy Tangies, then you will likely enjoy this switch. Don't repeat the same information/arguments that were hashed out over and over and over and over again from every reddit post, geekhack thread, streamer vod, and discord discussion possible about the Tangies. No switch in existence is full 100% UHMWPE. It is physically impossible to get the color and transparency of the Tangie or this OA switch with full UHMWPE. This is common knowledge and plainly obvious by simply by looking raw UHMWPE. Unless C3 created a polymer mixture using exotic materials supplied to the factory, I suspect JWK will use whatever mix the Tangies are made of, as creating and prototyping an entirely new mix is costly and unnecessary.

If these switches are good, they will be a viable alternative to the Tangie by having the PC top housing to allow for a deeper, less clacky sound. Nobody knows what the mix is for the housing. If you have problems with this IC then vote with your wallet and move on. I for one am curious to see how a Tangie alternative will play out as the demand for Tangies from TKC is through the roof. GLWIC!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 09:27:17 »
Here here kimchijody!