Author Topic: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad  (Read 204882 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 19:22:14 »
i have some 2x retro, i actually want it like this, i want to have my function as a easily reachable thumb key :) i doubt id be able to get this to work for me without making it close to my ergodox layout

loving the way this feels with gaming compared to ergodox, however really not used to it for typing. i think a case would help

I use just the LH plus a mouse for gaming.  Works very well indeed.

Welcome to the GH36 Master Race!   :p

#GamerPad

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:28:46 »
So i showed the wife the pics in the OP and she wants to try this as a game pad.  I think this coupled with her Filco with BroSet and purple BroBot, she is leaning very precariously over an extremely deep rabbit hole.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:27:36 »
So i showed the wife the pics in the OP and she wants to try this as a game pad.  I think this coupled with her Filco with BroSet and purple BroBot, she is leaning very precariously over an extremely deep rabbit hole.

Yup.  I no longer have my favorite Filco with Imsto thick PBT keycaps.  Appropriated by my wife the first time she tried it.  But it now has a Nyan Cat rainbow top row and a few other novelty keycaps.

BroBots already?  Don't show her keypop.net!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:34:08 »
went back to my full-metal-ergodox for now, i think i really need a case set for the GH36x2 to be able to use it as a primary keyboard. I am interested in the next iteration of the PCB and the case when that is finalized. I just need to get some money though.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 12:52:06 »
Rounded-corner stacked case, anyone?  Four screws in single-configuration; five in GH36x2 configuration.

qty 4 laser-cut acrylic (or metal, I suppose)
qty 4 6-32 machine screws
qty 4 6-32 x 1/4" threaded inserts (embedded "nuts")
qty 1 1/2" x 5.25" half-round acrylic (or nylon, sorbothane, rubber, brass, whatever)

Labor and cement to attach foot.

Laser-cut bar or stepped-pyramid or 1/4" bump-ons would also work for rear feet.  Two top trim rings can be removed or stacked higher or lower to taste.  Two are shown to cover switch layer.

Is anyone interested in such a simple case?

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 October 2014, 12:53:43 by samwisekoi »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 13:12:15 »
Rounded-corner stacked case, anyone?  Four screws in single-configuration; five in GH36x2 configuration.

qty 1 1/2" x 5.25" half-round acrylic (or nylon, sorbothane, rubber, brass, whatever)

Laser-cut bar or stepped-pyramid or 1/4" bump-ons would also work for rear feet.  Two top trim rings can be removed or stacked higher or lower to taste.  Two are shown to cover switch layer.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Works for me.  Especially if there a stainless steel option for the metal ones.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 13:27:00 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

One of the layers can be the plate.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 13:40:36 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

One of the layers can be the plate.

I second this motion.  Though with the flexibility of th PCB there would probably need to be a ton of options.  Unless you just wanted to just provide a couple base options.  Though if you just had the layers of the proper thickness that would allow one of the layers to be swapped out for a plate that would work great.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 14:30:41 »
I'd love such a case for a GH36x2. I also love the idea of an appropriate-thickness layer being swappable with a custom-cut plate.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:04:46 »
The stacked plate casing is simple but looks robust yet inexpensive. Has my support too!

That said, Ron I notice you may have missed one thing. What if people want to add additional keys and modules? Hog do they cut the plates then? EG if they were to add thumb function keys like for ergodox.

Another thing, I noticed this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-ABS-Plastic-Keyboard-Enclosure-G1188G-color-Gray-134x189x32-55mm-WxLxD-/140900075305?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ce4c8729

This Taiwanese company makes plastic casings cheap. I wonder, could we do a Tai Hao, where we contact them to custom manufacture casings for the Gh36 with a relatively low MOQ eg 200, but offer them a higher price eg 2x their current $6 asking price.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:31:00 »
New case for the GH36 from Shapeways.  Looks nice, but too light for me.  Taking another pass to make the walls thicker and cover the top of the PCB .250" in from the edges.  However, if anyone wants one or more of these, I can open them up on Shapeways.  It is around $48, depending on plastic type and color.

Oh, this also includes a couple of pieces of 6mm Acrylic I had cut to fill the gaps around the W.  They look cool in the dark with the WASD LEDs illuminating them from the side.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 21:25:31 »
Looks cool man.

I've been out of touch for a little while, how is the project going?  Is the next version of the hardware going to require software changes?  I'm thinking probably yes.

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:12:56 »

I love this idea than the shapeway, but not the black dot at the corners :D

Great work, excited for the beta version :x
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #263 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:21:07 »
Show Image

I think the black dots are there mostly has a quick and easy analogue for a screw head.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 08:39:01 »
Show Image

I think the black dots are there mostly has a quick and easy analogue for a screw head.

Yep.  The 3D version was for human eyes.  The laser will want a DXF file, so 2D CAD for that.

Right now the plan is to have .125" holes on the top panel(s) with either the same on the bottom, or slightly larger holes for press-in threaded inserts.

OR 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=u5uc9e

But if I make the holes larger for the inserts, then they become mandatory.  Decisions, decisions.

FYI, I have ordered a sample of a Startech right-angle mini-USB cable, which would allow me to route the USB cable to exit through the top of the keypad.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit]
Glod or other Prototype builders: 

Do any of you want any of the cases I've discussed in this thread?  The Beta will have a different (better) interconnect cable, so the Proto PCB needs a slightly different exit for that.

Any Proto builders who want any of these cases should let me know, and I can make them available to you.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 08:44:27 by samwisekoi »

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:42:14 »
will get mine finished up this weekend - will post pics when done :)
I got boards.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 11:48:09 »
Show Image

Yep.  The 3D version was for human eyes.  The laser will want a DXF file, so 2D CAD for that.

Right now the plan is to have .125" holes on the top panel(s) with either the same on the bottom, or slightly larger holes for press-in threaded inserts.

Show Image
  OR 
Show Image

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=u5uc9e

But if I make the holes larger for the inserts, then they become mandatory.  Decisions, decisions.

FYI, I have ordered a sample of a Startech right-angle mini-USB cable, which would allow me to route the USB cable to exit through the top of the keypad.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit]
Glod or other Prototype builders: 

Do any of you want any of the cases I've discussed in this thread?  The Beta will have a different (better) interconnect cable, so the Proto PCB needs a slightly different exit for that.

Any Proto builders who want any of these cases should let me know, and I can make them available to you.
[/edit]

I vote for same sized holes non the bottom as well.  If someone wants threaded inserts pressed in, it won't be difficult to open them up.  My suggestion would be to have the bottom hole sized for threading the size you are planning for hardware.  This way one could just run a tap through the hole, thread the screw in and be done.  Or open it up to the through hole size and put a a crew with a nut on as well or threaded insert.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 12:12:14 »
^^ +1

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:23:06 »
I vote for same sized holes non the bottom as well.  If someone wants threaded inserts pressed in, it won't be difficult to open them up.  My suggestion would be to have the bottom hole sized for threading the size you are planning for hardware.  This way one could just run a tap through the hole, thread the screw in and be done.  Or open it up to the through hole size and put a a crew with a nut on as well or threaded insert.

Yes, that is the other choice.  Top holes would then need to be larger than bottom holes or we make nuts mandatory.

FYI, tapping 3mm Acrylic results in a one or two use thread.  Into 6mm it works ok for coarse thread, but not so much into 3mm.  Thus the inserts.

One benefit of the melt-in inserts is that you just push them in with the tip of a soldering iron, which we assume everyone will have to build these.  6-32 or 3mm taps I don't think can be expected to be in everyone's toolbox.  And self-tapping screws into 3mm Acrylic are pretty much a one-time event.

If this was just for my own use, I'd want a 2mm/.0625" pilot hole so I could use a drill press to make whatever diameter hole I needed.

Anyhow, I take your point.  I'll try and size the holes to allow 6-32 or 3mm machine screws to be used directly.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:11:31 »
I can confirm, anything below 4mm acrylic is hard to tap as the threads get messed up pretty easy.

I still think my idea of a stand-off inserted in between two flat head screws or any screws for that matter is the best option for laser cut stacked acrylic case.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:45:30 »
I can confirm, anything below 4mm acrylic is hard to tap as the threads get messed up pretty easy.

I still think my idea of a stand-off inserted in between two flat head screws or any screws for that matter is the best option for laser cut stacked acrylic case.

I see both points, here and Same point with attempting to tap acrylic.  I was thinking if these were going to be aluminum.  If acrylic I vote for screws with a threaded spacer or the melt in inserts.  Though I would lean toward the standoffs.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:58:58 »
Can't comment on aluminum.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:13:34 »
Can't comment on aluminum.

Tapping 3mm aluminum would hold up so long as you stay reasonable tightening the screws with these thread pitches.  I personally would only be slightly worried about 1.5mm aluminum provided it was 6061 T-6 or better.  Though I wouldn't go much thinner.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:05:25 »
Really impressed with the level of discussion going on. You guys know what you're talking about. It's a pleasure to follow this thread and learn.

But Samwisekoi, if you have melt in inserts, doesn't that make the casing impossible to disassemble in future? I think one of the strengths of a screw in Tipro style casing is that we can add and remove modules as easily as lego. I'm sure many geekhackers have the experience where they sometimes want a different bigger layout and sometimes want portability with a minimal sized module. Also if PCB is gonna be sandwiched between layers that means no more removing the pcb if someone needs to later, maybe to correct a screwup (like me).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:53:13 »
Really impressed with the level of discussion going on. You guys know what you're talking about. It's a pleasure to follow this thread and learn.

But Samwisekoi, if you have melt in inserts, doesn't that make the casing impossible to disassemble in future? I think one of the strengths of a screw in Tipro style casing is that we can add and remove modules as easily as lego. I'm sure many geekhackers have the experience where they sometimes want a different bigger layout and sometimes want portability with a minimal sized module. Also if PCB is gonna be sandwiched between layers that means no more removing the pcb if someone needs to later, maybe to correct a screwup (like me).

You could still remove it.  The insert is threaded on the inside.  Think of it as welding the nut to the bottom layer and running the screw through the other layers and threading into said insert.  It is a sound method.  I wells nuts on fabricated parts at work all the time.  Depending on availability of tools and parts it is quicker than tapping, more thread engagement in thinner materials, and can by much easier to fix when threads get damaged or parts literally ripped off equipment.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 01:22:40 »
Sam I'm interested in a case, preferably a tray type one that I don't have to desolder the switches. I'm not going through that remove teensy adventure again. It's got to be not too expensive though because I'm still unemployed.

Obviously the inter connect change isn't a problem in my build.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:08:09 »
Any update on the Gh36 progress samwisekoi?

Hope it's still going well.
Sharing the knowledge

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #277 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 00:10:08 »
Just to clarify from those of you guys that have built these up already the black band on the diodes goes on the square pad towards the switch, and for two unit keys the diode goes on the location with the ! in the triangle, correct??

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:13:08 »
Any update on the Gh36 progress samwisekoi?

Hope it's still going well.

I paused to do the JD45 PCB because the GH36 v2 diodes were giving me grief.  That is done, and the GH36 is back at the top of the stack.  It seems like all the Proto bugs that were going to be found have been found, so there is no reason for me to wait any longer for more input.

Just to clarify from those of you guys that have built these up already the black band on the diodes goes on the square pad towards the switch, and for two unit keys the diode goes on the location with the ! in the triangle, correct??

The band on the diodes indicates the cathode.  The cathode end does indeed go toward the square pad.  Those little triangles are actually little tiny caution signs ("caution signs for ants?"). They indicate diodes that are in reverse orientation.  But even they have the cathode pin going into the square pad.

To the best of my ability, all future samwisekoi PCB designs will have 100% of the diodes consistently aligned.  But not the prototype GH36, alas.

Sam I'm interested in a case, preferably a tray type one that I don't have to desolder the switches. I'm not going through that remove teensy adventure again. It's got to be not too expensive though because I'm still unemployed.

Obviously the inter connect change isn't a problem in my build.

I am going to try and have at least one case design available somehow.  I am unhappy with the two prototypes cases I have made so far, although they are both serviceable.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #279 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:17:43 »

The band on the diodes indicates the cathode.  The cathode end does indeed go toward the square pad.  Those little triangles are actually little tiny caution signs ("caution signs for ants?"). They indicate diodes that are in reverse orientation.  But even they have the cathode pin going into the square pad.

To the best of my ability, all future samwisekoi PCB designs will have 100% of the diodes consistently aligned.  But not the prototype GH36, alas.

- Ron | samwisekoi

All good, so long as cathodes all go to the same shape pads I don't think it should be to much of an issue.

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:43:29 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:45:30 »
All good, so long as cathodes all go to the same shape pads I don't think it should be to much of an issue.

You would be surprised!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:17:46 »
UPDATE ON THE GH36 BETA PCB!

Greetings, all!

On this (for some of us) holiday weekend, I completed* the re-layout of the GH36 in its final* form.  MOZ will be happy, as I have shifted from my typical "all-ninety-degrees all-of-the-time" style to a more old-school curvy traces format.  This board now has:

- New GH36 Interconnect (see more below)
 - Full backlighting
 - Optional position/size for top row switches or keycaps
 - Common orientation for all diodes (marked for placement on top or bottom)
 - Zero components under the Teensy
 - Teensy moved inwards to enable right-angle USB cable and therefore side OR top cable exit
 - Component-free zones for stabilizer footprints
 - Accessible pads for Ground, 5V+, F1, and F2 circuits

And as always:

- 100% through-hole soldering on .010" spacing (even for the transistors!)

*NOTE: I use the words "complete" and "final" in the same sense as any software developer.  Those words describe conditions unobtainable without differential equations - in the same way particles can never quite reach the speed of light.

The only functional elements left to put in place are the traces and jumpers for optional LEDs.  As it is today, all positions have full backlighting.  However, to be added are separate LED circuits for WASD, NUM, and CAPS.  The only reason they are not in place now is because I have not decided how to provide simple jumpers.  I want the board to have full backlighting out of the box, and to have full backlighting without extra jumpers, etc.  However, I also want the more advanced builder to be able to quickly and easily enable the separate LED circuits without pain.  I am leaning towards traces without solder mask in places where they can be easily scratched off and a jumper put in place instead.  To be determined.

New GH36 Interconnect Design

This is intended for re-use on other keyboard PCBs.  It provides a 6x12 matrix extension along with power, ground, and multiple other signals, in any 20-pin keyed connector with .010" (2.54mm) pad spacing.  This will enable builders to select standard wire cables, ribbon cables, and quick disconnects for all options.  Due to the layout, the interconnect provides a straight path for the cable regardless of PCB orientation.

83049-0
GH36 Interconnect by samwisekoi 2014

I plan to start adding this interconnect to other boards, so (e.g.) the GH-122/154 will have the capability to be extended by connecting a GH36 PCB -- if the GH-122/154 did not already have enough switches for you!  A more sensible use of the connector would be to include it in a 40% or 60% keyboard PCB, which would enable quick and modular expansion from tiny to TKL.  (Nubbinator, this is a hint.)

===

TL;DR  For those of you who wondered where the Beta GH36 was -- here it is!

More news when I have it!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:22:14 by samwisekoi »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #282 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:30:06 »
I will take two please.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #283 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:38:21 »
Freakin Gorgeous!

Does this "final" beta still have cut lines?

How can I support this effort / when can I buy some?

cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 12:52:46 »
I will take two please.

Soon, my friend, soon.

Freakin Gorgeous!

Does this "final" beta still have cut lines?

How can I support this effort / when can I buy some?

cheers,

K

Cut lines are intact.  (Shown in brown in the CAD image.)

A couple of weeks for a small run, then a PROD group buy after that.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 13:02:59 »
Wow nice job samwise! That pcb looks really good and I love the interconnect feature.  :cool:

Offline korrelate

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 23:15:27 »
I love how this supports so many different layouts.

Quick question;

6*6  (R*C) layout's mounting holes are obvious (I imagine those are the holes in the four corners). Are there any obvious mounting holes for 6*4, 5*4 or 4*4? Or are these configs mounted by plate?

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 09:25:27 »
I love how this supports so many different layouts.

Quick question;

6*6  (R*C) layout's mounting holes are obvious (I imagine those are the holes in the four corners). Are there any obvious mounting holes for 6*4, 5*4 or 4*4? Or are these configs mounted by plate?

Cheers,

K

I have not placed any additional mounting holes yet.  A total of zero people in the prototype group tried the cuts, so I don't know if they are worth adding.  However, I will probably at least add mounting holes for the 4x5 standard numpad.  (Three of those are easy, the fourth sits directly in the path of the interconnect trace bundle next to the Teensy.)

I'll publish a DXF file once I have the mechanicals locked down.  For now, the corner holes are .125" (3mm) in diameter, placed .125" in from each corner.  Those are not moving.

- Ron | samwisekoi

UPDATE: I cannot place holes in all the locations required, so instead I will MARK drill spots for the holes and move any traces that still must work once you cut the board.    Most cuts kill the interconnect anyhow, so as long as you clean the hole so nothing shorts, then you might as well drill through it since you are cutting it anyhow.  I've marked drill spots for 6x4, which retains the interconnect, as well as spots for several other sizes.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 12:16:09 by samwisekoi »

Offline korrelate

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 18:34:50 »
Holy God that's sweet!

talk about rapid development!!

Who wouldn't order a few of these?

Topre REALFORCE

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 22:12:14 »
Holy God that's sweet!

talk about rapid development!!

Who wouldn't order a few of these?

I am more concerned at this point with how I can integrate my additional thumb keys into this 6x6 matrix. The PCB is designed to allow, but casing design and building an actual keyboard is a challenge. I would rather have this take another year in development, than be released without the necessary issues worked out. EG I don't want to just mount this on spacers with a metal plate underneath. It becomes a dust magnet and is unsightly in an office.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 06:27:16 »
Would it be possible to interconnect three PCBs so I have a left hand, right hand, and a numpad?  Or would it be simpler to just do left + right and then do a separate numpad?

P.S. I'm in for the beta or whenever there's full backlighting.  'gotta have them LEDs!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 07:44:08 »
Would it be possible to interconnect three PCBs so I have a left hand, right hand, and a numpad?  Or would it be simpler to just do left + right and then do a separate numpad?

P.S. I'm in for the beta or whenever there's full backlighting.  'gotta have them LEDs!

How do you plan to have your custom backlit keys? No point having LEDs without backlit keycaps. Sure, the alphas are easy. But you won't have the 1u modifiers eg 1u shift 1u space 1u tab. Or are you planning to organize a group buy with Vortex or whatever for backlit 1u mods? I'm 100% behind you in that case and will buy several sets.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 07:56:10 »

How do you plan to have your custom backlit keys? No point having LEDs without backlit keycaps. Sure, the alphas are easy. But you won't have the 1u modifiers eg 1u shift 1u space 1u tab. Or are you planning to organize a group buy with Vortex or whatever for backlit 1u mods? I'm 100% behind you in that case and will buy several sets.

Umm...I just want the backlight for the glow underneath the keys. :cool:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 09:19:49 »

Umm...I just want the backlight for the glow underneath the keys. :cool:

The matrix is only 6x12, so three-wide is not supported.  I'd say you should have a pair in GH36x2 configuration on one Teensy/USB cable, and then a second keypad on a second Teensy/USB.  That configuration does end up providing the option of a fourth keypad as a LH matrix for macro keys, gaming, or whatever else.

As to backlighting, I have my LH gamepad GH36 set up to have an LED glow from behind the WASD cluster.  Works a treat with the green Retro DSA WASD  keycaps and white LEDs.

But the interest in backlighting so far has been for none or full backlighting.  This raises a question for me:

Should I bother adding optional circuits for NUM, CAPS, and two different WASD clusters?  If not, I can expose the other LED circuits for hand-wiring and move quickly to shipping Beta PCBs.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 00:50:43 »
The matrix is only 6x12, so three-wide is not supported.  I'd say you should have a pair in GH36x2 configuration on one Teensy/USB cable, and then a second keypad on a second Teensy/USB.  That configuration does end up providing the option of a fourth keypad as a LH matrix for macro keys, gaming, or whatever else.

Got it!

Mmm....4th numpad!  I'd have more keys than the GH-122! :))

Should I bother adding optional circuits for NUM, CAPS, and two different WASD clusters?  If not, I can expose the other LED circuits for hand-wiring and move quickly to shipping Beta PCBs.

- Ron | samwisekoi

These optional circuits would allow for LEDs only in those positions or as lock indicator LEDs?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 09:26:46 »
GH36x4 = 144.  GH-122 max keys = 154.   :cool:

The current plan for GH36 LEDs is the following:

As-shipped
All switch positions have LED backlighting enabled on a single circuit per PCB.  That circuit is controlled by a PWM pin on the Teensy and a transistor to handle the combined 720mA load of 36 LEDs.

Optional LED circuits
WASD: Jumper-enabled circuit provides access to a second PWM pin on the Teensy and transistor.  These will be wired to WASD patterns on each side of the PCB.  (This is currently the only LED capability in the prototype.  It will become optional for Beta and beyond.

CAPS & NUMLOCK:  Also jumper-enabled, these will convert the LED circuit on two individual switch positions to act as on/off indicators.  Each has a dedicated pin on the Teensy.  Placement of the NUMLOCK indicator will be Row 2, Column 3 on the RH PCB (location B8).  Placement of the CAPS LED will be Row 4, Column 1 on the LH PCB (location D0).  Use of these circuits will take these LEDs out of the normal backlighting circuit.

F1 & F2:  These are unused Teensy pins that are wired to accessible pads for manual wiring for user-defined purposes.  For example, they could be programmed to indicate various function layers via custom firmware.  These pads could be wired to any LED on the PCB by a modder.  Power and Ground pads will also be provided for this use.

If I do not wire in the WASD, NUM, and CAPS circuits, then I will instead run traces to the second transistor from the PWM "WASD" pin on the Teensy, and run circuits from the NUM and CAPS pins on the Teensy to pads for hard-wiring.  This would result in one multi-LED PWM circuit and four indicator circuits being available to the modder.

The real question is will non-modders actually want or use WASD, NUM, or CAPS LEDs.  If so, I want to include traces for them in the PCB.  If not, I want to include pads so modders can enable them.

Does that explain the question better?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Got it!

Mmm....4th numpad!  I'd have more keys than the GH-122! :))

- Ron | samwisekoi

These optional circuits would allow for LEDs only in those positions or as lock indicator LEDs?
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 09:32:49 by samwisekoi »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:38:48 »
Yep, that explains it very well sir. :thumb:

Personally, I'd do full backlighting and use the the CAPS and NUM LOCK as on/off indicators.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #297 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:07:38 »
Ok, here is what I am going to do.

For all eight impacted positions (front WASD, back WASD, CAPS, and NUM) I am going to put this little "jumper" section in place:

83367-0
GH36 LED Jumper by samwisekoi 2014

Credit for the idea goes to GH user 0100010, who suggested (in the GH-122 thread) using solder mask to create an exposed trace that could be scratched off with an X-Acto knife.  In this case, the builder would scratch off the trace where it says CUT and the LED would leave the backlighting circuit.  Then by adding a jumper where it says JUMP, the LED would then join the optional circuit.

This should be simple enough that anyone who has the skills to build the keypad should also be able to enable the optional LEDs.

I suppose that a clever modder could just do the jump, which *might* enable dual function for the LED, but that is not supported or intended.  But an LED is a diode, and the backlight circuit will be on PWM, so the effective indicator voltages might be higher, and that might mean the indicator pin simply makes that LED get brighter when it goes to 100% duty cycle.  However, I leave that to others for experimentation.

Anyhow, I've added this little piece of circuitry to all impacted locations.  I just need to run the traces from the Teensy and WASD transistor and we are done.

A side benefit of this approach is that the hot pad of the jumper pair becomes an available circuit for anyone who wants to add an additional LED and resistor.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:32:36 by samwisekoi »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 09:30:29 »
Ron

I am very impressed with all your work, but I do think you need some volunteer to collate all the information at the end. It's too much information for a non-hardcore modder to figure out what to do.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #299 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:37:45 »
Ron, why not just have a jumper, when building the keyboard, the builder can solder the jumper depending on whatever config they want.