Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 222767 times)

Offline notFREEfood

Re: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 23:43:40 »
For what reason? That's the least likely culprit.

Every single IO pin has a voltage drop going towards one IO pin, which is the pin that takes in the row input for the function key.  Flipping the leads results in an open circuit, which means that there is at least one diode in between this IO pin and all of the other IO pins.  Unfortunately with switches soldered in I can only see half of the board, but there's no obvious defects that I can see, especially one that would cause this pin to get connected to every single other pin.  I didn't completely mangle my board, which should be obvious from the picture, and there is no circuitry that I can find outside of the chip that could produce the results I see from my multimeter.  I can think of reasons why this circuitry would exist inside of the chip however, and if the internal diode went bad and is now allowing bidirectional current that would explain everything.

The only reason I'm hesitating is because I have very limited experience with smt soldering (my Iris was the first time I had ever done it).

Well, that's annoying. I would offer to replace the 32u4 for you but shipping two ways may make it less appealing than just getting that new PCB that was offered.

You were right that it wasn't the chip...apparently one of the switch pads is incredibly easy to bridge to ground, to the point were you can bridge it, desolder the switch and the bridge will still remain

Pictures of the evil pad in question to come tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep

EDIT: yup, that was the culprit, a single leg shorted to ground...now I need to figure out how to fix the two LEDs that I murdered in the process of fixing the switches

EDIT 2: how do you desolder one of the rgb leds with a conventional soldering iron? I removed all of the visible solder and it's still stuck...

Here's the bad pad in question.  You can't really tell from this, but the ground is exposed a fraction of a millimeter away from the pad...

Show Image

Glad you found the short. For the LED, I typically use either low-temperature solder or a hot-air reflow station. It's definitely going to be trickier without those. Did you use wick?

I tried using wick, but the LED still wouldn't come off

I was thinking hot air is the way to do it, but I really don't want to drop a few hundred on one right now...

Since the lead is busted anyway you can carefully lift each leg as you heat it, or get some low-melting-point solder.

It's flush with the board and I can't find any legs to lift.  Is it reasonable to suspect that some rosin may have wicked underneath and is acting as an adhesive?

Offline BearonicMan

« Reply #751 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 15:29:31 »
Just those pics I talked about earlier, nothing too crazy and nothing that's not fixable, just looks like it's been through the ringer.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Just a heads up, yours looks exactly like mine did before removing the plastic film cover.  Have you removed the weight and made sure you don't have the film there?

Yea, I'm a grade A doofus. Took the film off and it looks great.

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 12:47:50 »
Was the plate for this ever made available as a drawing / CAD file?  I'd really like to hand-wire a unique layout that the current plate doesn't support.  I don't have the case yet to measure

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #753 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:52:44 »
@KaosJ--  You think there's a remote possibility of a R2 of these kits?  I've emailed Vincent, but no reply.  I'm sure he's busy with whatever new ventures he's tackling.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #754 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:55:09 »
@KaosJ--  You think there's a remote possibility of a R2 of these kits?  I've emailed Vincent, but no reply.  I'm sure he's busy with whatever new ventures he's tackling.

I'll ask and see what he says, not sure how many people might be interested since R1 was already around 300 keebs. 

If there would be a R2 i would prefer something a bit different, don't you?

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #755 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:58:37 »

I'll ask and see what he says, not sure how many people might be interested since R1 was already around 300 keebs. 

Southpaw version!  Numpad AND nav keys on the left side.  I have the KLE and everything for it.  I have yet to see a 96 left-handed but I think it would be the pinnacle of functionality for me.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #756 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:58:49 »

It's appreciated man. 

Sure!  I think the kit's about as perfect as a 96 can get IMHO, but there's no such thing as a perfect keyboard.  "Art can be defined as the perpetual pursuit of perfection which can never be obtained."
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #757 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 10:04:04 »

Southpaw version!  Numpad AND nav keys on the left side.  I have the KLE and everything for it.  I have yet to see a 96 left-handed but I think it would be the pinnacle of functionality for me.

Well i doubt, that's a total different design on everything.  Depends on people interest, imho 1800 is more suitable for reversed pad.

I was talking more about a 96 with a different case or something with better quality, e.g. pvd on brass, etc.. 

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #758 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 17:12:01 »
I was checking out the Melody 96 kit 2 on Aliexpress, I noticed there are no standoffs around the middle of the case to support the pcb, only on the outside of the pcb?
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2020, 17:36:57 by digi »

Offline Twist3d

« Reply #759 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 18:39:18 »
The PCB is held to the plate with your switches, which is top-mounted to the case.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #760 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 18:48:02 »
The PCB is held to the plate with your switches, which is top-mounted to the case.

Yep, I see that.. Curious if there is any flex since most people use standoffs on their aluminum case to support the center of the pcb, maybe it doesn't matter. Either way it looks like a great board. =)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #761 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:31:29 »

Yep, I see that.. Curious if there is any flex since most people use standoffs on their aluminum case to support the center of the pcb, maybe it doesn't matter. Either way it looks like a great board. =)

Flex of top-mount is more or less the same or smaller, but better in terms of typing experience. The tray mount is more flexy on the edges (which doesn't mean it's better, it's exactly the opposite), while the top mount is more flexy in the middle (well theorically, but if it is brass it will be rigid anyway).

I believe standoffs/tray mount was something of the past and current budget cases and there aren't many people using it, it allows to make a case with a single piece while other mounts needs at least 2 pieces, but it will just end up sounding bad unfortunately
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:35:40 by KaosJ »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #762 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:04:47 »
Gotcha! I'm catching up to all these new designs. Very tempting. :)

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #763 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:07:57 »
Every time this thread comes back to life I hope it’s the announcement of a Round 2 — for the record, I’d love to pay for one of these, and I’d do unspeakable things for a southpaw PCB / plate and god knows what for a SS version (with said PCB)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #764 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:12:02 »
What's a southpaw pcb? :-[

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #765 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:13:45 »
Number pad on the left side (and nav cluster depending on the layout)  :)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #766 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:14:26 »
Number pad on the left side (and nav cluster depending on the layout)  :)

ah I see! My muscle-memory on the right for the numpad is too developed to change to the left but thats a cool concept! =)

Offline severin

« Reply #767 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:09:36 »
Every time this thread comes back to life I hope it’s the announcement of a Round 2 — for the record, I’d love to pay for one of these, and I’d do unspeakable things for a southpaw PCB / plate and god knows what for a SS version (with said PCB)

isn't this on sale outside of GBs now?

acrylic bottom: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957159275.html
alu bottom: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000324958017.html

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #768 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 03:10:54 »
257091-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere