Author Topic: Anybody here considering creating a "Back To The Future" keycap set?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline zivilars

Very new to mechanical keyboards with unfortunately no design talent – but I would LOVE to see a full "Back To The Future" (my very favorite movie!) keycap set though! I did a google search because I expected that this already exists, but (besides a single flux capacitor cap) it doesn't seem to be the case ...

Wouldn't this be a thankful theme for somebody talented to create a beautiful BTTF set? Novelties like (the already mentioned) Flux Capacitor key, but also for example arrow keys in yellow/orange with "speed tail" like on the original title font, the "8" key somehow also is "88mph", "OUTTATIME" license plate return key, "GREAT SCOTT!" esc key etc. Don't know if and when keys like these gets too "gimmicky" as a whole layout concept, but I see very nice possibilities.

I'm sure somebody else already came up with this idea, in this case: sorry – but I would really love to see something like this! (Or is this, even in such small quantity for some keyboard geeks, a too high risk of copyright infringement?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 14:15:59 by zivilars »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
Re: Anybody here considering creating a "Back To The Future" keycap set?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 14:34:21 »
I love back to the future but I'm not sure how you'd really make that into a thing. Most people won't hop on BTTF-fonted keycap set because it might look a bit too gaudy for most people (I know it probably would be for me). Outside of that, BTTF doesn't really have a super-distinct and easy-to-distill colorscheme. The most BTTF thing that could be on the set would be some novelties like the flux capacitor, marty's puffy vest, hoverboard, nikes, the delorean?

Wonder if more creative minds could pull it off.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 14:35:21 »
Maybe a bunch of red, orange, and yellow? Maybe silver legends? 🤔

Offline zivilars

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:00:22 »
I love back to the future but I'm not sure how you'd really make that into a thing. Most people won't hop on BTTF-fonted keycap set because it might look a bit too gaudy for most people (I know it probably would be for me). Outside of that, BTTF doesn't really have a super-distinct and easy-to-distill colorscheme. The most BTTF thing that could be on the set would be some novelties like the flux capacitor, marty's puffy vest, hoverboard, nikes, the delorean?

Wonder if more creative minds could pull it off.

I'm definitely with you when it comes to consider that this doesn't get too "gaudy" – however I think that this is totally controllable by the designer in each direction – from a real "loud" yellow to orange keyboard over all the keys (which I also may not like too much - really not sure) to maybe – the other extreme – even only black printed BTTF icons on white keys. And everything in between (meaning: the black on white icons / BTTF font keys and a few yellow-orange colored novelties as "accents" or the return key as rose colored horizontal hoverboard). Not sure what would work and what not, just spontaneous ideas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:38:31 by zivilars »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:41:58 »
Haha I feel ya. Just start designing or working with some friends on it if you're really passionate! Takes a lot of creativity and thought.

I wish more "gradient" keycaps were easy because that's what makes it BTTF for me but ye. Always fun to think about it.

Offline zivilars

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 02:06:41 »
Maybe a bunch of red, orange, and yellow? Maybe silver legends? 🤔

Or just imagine a DeLorean DMC keyboard completely made of brushed stainless steel – including the caps ...  :)