Author Topic: Eagle Scouts  (Read 11043 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Eagle Scouts
« on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 08:45:05 »
Who all here is an Eagle? Post em up and your project! :D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Eagle Scouts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 08:48:02 »
BOOO!!!

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Eagle Scouts
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 08:55:19 »
Eagle snacks? We sharks love eagle snacks :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 08:56:57 »
Tastes like Great Horned Owl right?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Eagle Scouts
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 08:57:39 »
Tastes like Great Horned Owl right?

Birds of a feather!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 09:19:03 »
Since I have Row 1 keys, I can have it(Eagle Scout keys) made for you... but I'm almost certain there aren't 9 other Eagle Scouts on here. My minimum with Imsto is 10, what do?
This is mainly why I'm asking. I'd like to get some Eagle keycaps made, and I think I'll take at least two, but maybe more. Just wanted to let other people in if they wanted a few.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 12:23:47 »
i made it to life, then i rebelled... =(

still hate that decision

i know the oath off the top of my head more than the pledge of allegiance, fck i'll admit it, i couldn't even spell allegiance, had to google it.

gonna make the mini me version become eagle scout!, and if i get a girl... whatever the girl scout equivalent is!

(even tho i currently believe the scouts stand for the wrong things)

Offline jbarrkn493

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 12:58:32 »
Got my eagle in '06. tried to quit, my dad wouldnt let me until i got eagle, im glad i stuck with it.. and an eagle scout key would be bad ass

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:17:08 »
Lanx: wrong things ... agreed.  it is a shame.  (sincerely)
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:20:17 »
I try to stay out of their positions of everything, but I don't personally have any problems with people who are homosexual. Anyways, anyone else want Eagle caps?

Offline bavman

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:25:18 »
I got mine right before my 18th birthday. What are the caps going to look like?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:30:43 »

This is what I'd like them to look like. They will be on the bottom row profile, since Rag has a bunch of extras. Also, makes nice mods for 86 layouts. :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:48:00 »
I was Life, was working on my Eagle but graduated HS before I made it. Spread myself too thin during those HS days :/

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:11:27 »
I was Life, was working on my Eagle but graduated HS before I made it. Spread myself too thin during those HS days :/

Same here. Just a mere Life Scout. Still, Scouting was awesome.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 13:08:40 »
Eagle scout here.  My project was collecting toys and candy and making gift baskets for kids at a women's shelter.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 16:46:42 »
Smallfry, you're an Eagle Scout?  Wish I would have known at the meetup.  I am one myself.

Project:  put up wooden trail markers at a local county park and accompanying signs and maps.  Since then, my project has been overtaken by better trail markers.  Tough break.

You ever get to Philmont or any of the other high adventure bases?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 16:48:52 »
i made it to life, then i rebelled... =(

still hate that decision

i know the oath off the top of my head more than the pledge of allegiance, fck i'll admit it, i couldn't even spell allegiance, had to google it.

gonna make the mini me version become eagle scout!, and if i get a girl... whatever the girl scout equivalent is!

(even tho i currently believe the scouts stand for the wrong things)

If you get a girl, have her do Venture Scouts.  All the girls that want real adventure rather than arts and crafts do the Venture Scouts.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Eagle Scouts
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 18:06:35 »
Smallfry, you're an Eagle Scout?  Wish I would have known at the meetup.  I am one myself.

Project:  put up wooden trail markers at a local county park and accompanying signs and maps.  Since then, my project has been overtaken by better trail markers.  Tough break.

I've been to the boundary waters via an outfitter, not the scouts. I've also been to the national jamboree in 2010.
My project was restoring a scoreboard at my high school replaced the incandescent bulbs etc with LED, painted it, and created a new control panel.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 19:28:43 »
idk.. eagle scout in this day and age doesn't make much sense...

if you ever get "STUCK" out in the wilderness.. could've all been avoided if you just stood home and watched some TV..

If you wanna truly "BE PREPARED" stay the **** outta the wilderness.... :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 20:04:27 »
I try to stay out of their positions of everything, but I don't personally have any problems with people who are homosexual. Anyways, anyone else want Eagle caps?
Boy Scouts are heavily backed by the Mormon Church.
In my hometown (in California, not Utah), your kid was welcome, but the single mother was not.

If you get a girl, have her do Venture Scouts.  All the girls that want real adventure rather than arts and crafts do the Venture Scouts.
I'm not saying one or the other is better, but Girl Scouts are at least much more up with the times than Boy Scouts and are working hard to be even more relevant.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 20:57:05 »
In my hometown (in California, not Utah), your kid was welcome, but the single mother was not.

I'm not saying one or the other is better, but Girl Scouts are at least much more up with the times than Boy Scouts and are working hard to be even more relevant.

Girl Scouts pimp cookies ... hard ... not that I am complaining mind you. 
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 22:34:19 »

if you ever get "STUCK" out in the wilderness.. could've all been avoided if you just stood home and watched some TV..

I've learned a lot more from scouts than a compass and sleeping bag. I've learned diligence, patience, intuition etc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 23:30:20 »

I've learned a lot more from scouts than a compass and sleeping bag. I've learned diligence, patience, intuition etc.

Hey SF, You're right those things are also good..

I'm just saying skip the whole wilderness stuff.. everything else can be taught in a more useful setting. :D

For example, TODAY, i'm going to teach you accounting... now this list will take all 5 of you to sort out...  And there's your team work...

Wilderness survival will get you all of 0 jobs... Accounting however...  :cool:

I mean.. you wanna be a wall street guy? they need accountants..

You wanna be a gangster?? they need accountants...

You wanna be an international gun runner???  you gotta know how to launder money...  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 23:33:43 »
Basically, what I'm saying is, they need an UPDATED curriculum for Scouts...

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 23:57:49 »
The Boy Scouts have no appeal for me.
Too much nature, too little FORTRAN

No gays

and much more importantly...

NO COOKIES
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:04:55 »

No gays

NO COOKIES

I thought only girl-scout sold cookies.

I vote we update that too.. make them sell sandwiches.. HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAA..................hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JKJK.... but did always thought it was a bit of a sexist decision to have girls selling boxes of kitchen goods at such a young age.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:08:22 »

Girl Scouts pimp cookies ... hard ... not that I am complaining mind you.

Mmm... Girl Scout cookies. The Samoas aka Caramel Delites are the best!
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 02:15:17 »

I can't believe I'm being suckered into a serious reply to you.

You learn much more than just wilderness stuff. Wilderness survival is like what... one merit badge? Too bad there's no merit badges for couch-potato-ing

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 04:48:45 »

No gays

NO COOKIES

http://www.usscouts.org/mb/mb036.asp

As far as being 'relevant' the Boy Scouts are very relevant. What's irrelevant about them? Patriotism, courage, competence? As far as I know, those are all still in style -- or should be. No 'reality show' merit badge yet. Are the Boy Scouts' values becoming somewhat anachronistic? Sure, but that's a sad commentary on modern society. The organization encourages boys to do a good deed every day.

As for gay leaders in scouting, does it make any sense to send a bunch of boys out into the woods alone with an openly gay man? How about sending out a troop of teenage girls into the woods alone with a heterosexual man? Parents just wouldn't be comfortable with either situation.

So let's not mince words. Gays rights activists want openly gay scout leaders so that they kill off Scouting in the first place. Parents, uncomfortable with the idea would pull their kids out, and the organization would die. And that's what some people want -- it's not about equality, etc. -- it's about ending Scouting.

Also, homosexuality doesn't really fit in with a lot of the BSA's religious agenda (Islamic, Christian, Judaism, etc.). Now you and I may disagree with their position, but in this golden age of tolerance, could we tolerate an organization with a different viewpoint? We know the answer: "No." If you don't like their values, go and make 'Atheist Scouts' or 'Gay Scouts' -- no one's stopping anyone from doing that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 05:01:42 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 05:40:35 »

I can't believe I'm being suckered into a serious reply to you.

You learn much more than just wilderness stuff. Wilderness survival is like what... one merit badge? Too bad there's no merit badges for couch-potato-ing

Don't know bro... their list of "to-do" seem a little dated...

How is coveting keyboards NOT the merit badge for Couch-potatoing...  the connection is quite strong... :D

A hobby that pretty much does nothing, which involves a great deal of sitting and doing almost nothing... besides click-click on the internet :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 05:47:23 »
Patriotism, courage, competence... can be learned in a different setting.. that was my point...

the boy scout's actual "activity-list" is dated, not their "core-message", assuming there is one..

And the whole GAY-issue is all about the concept of SHAME in sexuality...   That's really the ONLY thing gay men do differently than straight...

That's it... everything else is exactly the same...   we have straight men who are effeminate voiced, and dress like queens.. and we have gay men who are completely lumber-jack macho...

You are correct that the PROBLEM with scouts is parents concerned about their kids being victims of foul play...

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 06:15:36 »
Patriotism, courage, competence... can be learned in a different setting.. that was my point...
the boy scout's actual "activity-list" is dated, not their "core-message", assuming there is one..

If you mean their 'activity list' as generally being outdoors, hiking, camping, that sort of thing -- I don't think those activities are out of date at all. In fact, for inner city kids it can be a fantastic new experience. And it's not just the BSA that recognizes this; there's a great organization called 'The Fresh Air Fund' whose sole purpose is to get inner city kids into the country, and out of the city. New experiences are always in style.  :)

And yes, the BSA has a core message. Several, even. The Boy Scout Motto is: "Be Prepared."

Quote from: tp4tissue
And the whole GAY-issue is all about the concept of SHAME in sexuality...   That's really the ONLY thing gay men do differently than straight...

That's it... everything else is exactly the same...   we have straight men who are effeminate voiced, and dress like queens.. and we have gay men who are completely lumber-jack macho...

You are correct that the PROBLEM with scouts is parents concerned about their kids being victims of foul play...

That last statement, what are you saying? It's not that clear to me.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 06:47:30 »
ANYWAY! I'm just going to take it as a given that Scouting is awesome, and a Boy Scout themed keycap would be awesome. Might I suggest a BSa-themed key instead of just an Eagle Scout key, seeing as how the latter group is a relatively rare breed? The BSA logos can be found here:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Marketing/Brand/logos.aspx

The main, traditional logo is pretty complex, probably too complex. But I found this at the link, a more simplified logo:

The leftmost part of it could work. I would contact the BSA, they would probably give their consent to make these.

Edit: Or just find a vectorized fleur-de-lis and call it a BSA logo.
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 19:47:37 »

I've been to the boundary waters via an outfitter, not the scouts. I've also been to the national jamboree in 2010.
My project was restoring a scoreboard at my high school replaced the incandescent bulbs etc with LED, painted it, and created a new control panel.

Nice project.  More interesting than mine.

Boundary Waters is great.  I went there for the first time last spring because I always was too busy with sports in high school and summer jobs in college.

I would definitely recommend going to Philmont if you have the chance.  A one-of-a-kind place.  I worked there for three summers and have incredible memories.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 19:49:13 »

The wilderness is great.  I know it's not for everybody, but I have fond memories of any time that I've spent "stuck" in the wilderness.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 20:18:27 »
Also, about the whole gay issue and religions ties.

I have personally known a few gay Eagle Scouts that of course were not openly gay while in the Scouts.  I am sure these men would prefer being open about their sexuality in the Boy Scouts, but I cannot speak for them.   On the ground level, most Scouts are accepting that a few people in their ranks might be gay.  Most Scouts don't care either way.

If you ever had any gay or lesbian friends, you will know that it's not that big of a deal and they know when they have been too forward with their attractions, just like anybody else.  The true character of a person is so much more than their sexuality, and those that condemn by category simply are cowards.  It takes more courage to get to know a person and hate them than hate an entire group of people for one measly attribute of their being.

The Boy Scouts do receive a significant amount of funding from the Mormon Church and the Roman Catholic Church.  We all know how these organizations stand towards homosexuality.  Part of being a Boy Scout is the religious aspect, and being an atheist, I do not completely agree with the religious aspect because plenty of atheists are decent people.  Behind the scenes, I assume that some of these major funders have threatened with ceasing their funding and the Boy Scouts have balked at changing their policy towards homosexuality.

While I'm lecturing, it troubles me that kids often ridiculed just for being in the Boy Scouts.  It was a source of shame and I was made fun of for being part of the organization.  Probably not until the age of 17 or 18 was I proud to say I was a Boy Scout.  The values taught to me about being a decent person, some skills, and experiences are valuable to this day.  It's unfortunate we don't have more young men that strive to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient (not a huge fan of this one), cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 20:31:02 »
We added classy to our oath. We reign true it also.
Also, GB for keys up. Get em while they last. 8 keys left at the moment.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42586.0

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 18:38:45 »
OA in 07, Firecrafter in 08, completed my Eagle Board last Thursday.  Very proud of myself.  It was a long road coming, but so worth it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 21:08:26 »
While I'm lecturing, it troubles me that kids often ridiculed just for being in the Boy Scouts.  It was a source of shame and I was made fun of for being part of the organization.  Probably not until the age of 17 or 18 was I proud to say I was a Boy Scout.  The values taught to me about being a decent person, some skills, and experiences are valuable to this day.  It's unfortunate we don't have more young men that strive to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient (not a huge fan of this one), cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
While I admit some of their policies and teachings are a bit old fashioned, they can be quite good for kids as they do give kids a chance to do and see things they wouldn't otherwise, which is great (such as inner city kids out camping). I just think as a whole, they could stand to modernize a bit.

As for the shame, it's not just Scouts, almost any organization working with teens has this problem, teens are just anti... everything. However, not only have the Scouts done little to help that image, the uniforms (which look like a school boy uniforms) aren't exactly helping.

That shaming is a problem with society as a whole as well, not just Scouting. It's like it's okay to be a Scout until you reach teens and only becomes okay again when you reach Eagle, like you only get respect as an Eagle Scout because you stuck with it through all of the ridicule. Honestly, anyone under 20 who sticks with almost anything for that long deserves some credit. I took a lot of grief for things I did in my teens and twenties, those same things are now how I earn a living. It wasn't until I really started earning a living from it that my family finally quit giving me grief.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:19:50 »
While I admit some of their policies and teachings are a bit old fashioned, they can be quite good for kids as they do give kids a chance to do and see things they wouldn't otherwise, which is great (such as inner city kids out camping). I just think as a whole, they could stand to modernize a bit.

As for the shame, it's not just Scouts, almost any organization working with teens has this problem, teens are just anti... everything. However, not only have the Scouts done little to help that image, the uniforms (which look like a school boy uniforms) aren't exactly helping.

That shaming is a problem with society as a whole as well, not just Scouting. It's like it's okay to be a Scout until you reach teens and only becomes okay again when you reach Eagle, like you only get respect as an Eagle Scout because you stuck with it through all of the ridicule. Honestly, anyone under 20 who sticks with almost anything for that long deserves some credit. I took a lot of grief for things I did in my teens and twenties, those same things are now how I earn a living. It wasn't until I really started earning a living from it that my family finally quit giving me grief.
Thats not true.  I was always proud to be a scout.  I was never afraid to talk about it.  I met some of my best friends and had amazing leadership experiences through scouting.  People should stand up for what they believe in.  If someone tried to grief me for it I would tell them all the amazing things I did.  Shooting, waterskiing, rock climbing, I can start a fire by friction.  It is nothing to be embarrassed of.  Also the uniforms look pretty cool if you wear them properly.  Lots of scouts wear them with jeans or other ****.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:04:17 »
Thats not true. 
Based on the post I quoted, that isn't true for everyone.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:40:55 »
Thats not true. 
Boys are often forced by their parents to join.  If you are passionate about scouting you won't care about getting made fun of.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:45:12 »
I wasn't forced. I'm glad my parents stuck it out to keep taking me though.

Offline Supergleep

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:50:05 »
Eagle scout here. Got mine back in 1985. (yeah, I'm that old) Eagle project was stripping and repainting the playground equipment in a local public park. I'd be down for some Eagle Scout / BSA keys.
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 00:07:38 »
Oh yeah my project was renovating an athletic traning room at a local highschool.  I'll post some pictures some time.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 06:56:12 »
Thats not true. 

I think it's implied that it wasn't true for him, or that he just didn't care.

I find uniforms to be a good idea, not just for Scouting but even for school. So much of the nonsense that goes on in schools today centers on what kids wear. A uniform alleviates that and makes a statement; "I'm here on business, the business of learning." I don't think they're dorky at all. In fact, in my area one of the local troops actually decided to wear these crazy Smoky the Bear hats. No joke! It's a sad commentary that some kids today make fun of Scouting because adults have likely taught them to do so. Why? Well, Scouting is unabashedly pro-American. And that just drives some people nuts; today kids are fed a steady curriculum designed to make children ashamed of their country. Scouting does the opposite, and so they pay the price.

As for being 'forced' into Scouting by parents, well, sometimes parents have to push a little to get their kids off the bench. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:26:21 »

I never thought about the difficulty of getting teens to stick through something because I just powered through everything as a teen and had strong parental support.  Academics, sports, Scouts, whatever.  I was a machine and I have no clue how I was such a productive teenager (probably because I didn't go Internet message boards!!!).  Those habits set the tone for the rest of my life.

I do remember it being cool to NOT CARE about anything as a teen.  So being those kids that blew off everything and messed around was the cool thing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:30:31 by prdlm2009 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:34:15 »

Thats not true.  I was always proud to be a scout.  I was never afraid to talk about it.  I met some of my best friends and had amazing leadership experiences through scouting.  People should stand up for what they believe in.  If someone tried to grief me for it I would tell them all the amazing things I did.  Shooting, waterskiing, rock climbing, I can start a fire by friction.  It is nothing to be embarrassed of.  Also the uniforms look pretty cool if you wear them properly.  Lots of scouts wear them with jeans or other ****.

I probably cared way too much about what people thought of me.  It's great that you were always proud to be a Scout.

And oh yea, the leadership experiences.  I had some wonderful ones as well.

And the uniforms are great. The best getup was wearing the shorts with the knee high socks with the red stripe.  That was a classy look. Apparently, they ditched the socks with the red stripe at the top.  Those were a great look.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:37:21 by prdlm2009 »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:58:26 »

I probably cared way too much about what people thought of me.  It's great that you were always proud to be a Scout.

And oh yea, the leadership experiences.  I had some wonderful ones as well.

And the uniforms are great. The best getup was wearing the shorts with the knee high socks with the red stripe.  That was a classy look. Apparently, they ditched the socks with the red stripe at the top.  Those were a great look.
Yeah I miss the red stripes.  They're reaaaally hard to find nowadays.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 14:24:45 »
Yeah I miss the red stripes.  They're reaaaally hard to find nowadays.

I'm tempted to pull mine out of storage and offer to sell them to you.  But I might work for the Boy Scouts again for a summer if I go back to grad school and I would love to sport those socks around camp.