Author Topic: Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!  (Read 8712 times)

Offline mrzealot

• PhD in Googling stuff...
Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!
« on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 09:36:27 »

I built this. I also coded the firmware for it.
I even wrote a blog post (https://zealot.hu/absolem/) with lots of pictures about the whole process that you should definitely check out!
I worked really hard on this. Please like me now and give me internet points! Thank you! :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ladies and Gentleman, the Absolem!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 10:02:29 »
Full size standard to tiny Colemak - you must be mad!  It's great that you went all-in though.

That will look much better than a boring rectangular board on your desk even without considering the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 13:06:32 »
A great build from scratch and an artistic one! I like your enthusiasm and your humor too.

To compensate for the small size, you effectively have four layers and many dual-role keys. I think sym layer in the right hand might give you some trouble. At a point, I tried three layers and gave up. It looks like I can only handle two.
[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline mrzealot

• PhD in Googling stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 17:00:30 »
@suicidal_orange: I'm mad indeed! :) And you're exactly right: knowing the full custom-ness of the board (even including the code that runs on is) makes it especially satisfying!

@macroxue: thanks, I tried to avoid a dry infodump, glad to hear it worked (at least for someone)... As for the layers, I'm still learning and adjusting, but so far I don't see any trouble with the keymap, only my lack of assimilation. The trick is that I feel strongly enough about the assumption that the keymap should be like this that when it's not working, I blame myself rather than the keymap and practice even more  ;)

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 11:52:59 »
Nice job!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 15:11:37 »
Let me recommend putting number-row keycaps on the top row. They’ll be easier to reach.

Too bad a flat design like this doesn’t support "tenting" the two sides. Otherwise, seems nice for a very minimal keyboard.