Author Topic: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - Opening April 1st, new Yellow Accents  (Read 66743 times)

Offline Fate

Oh I am 100% onboard. I and my weird-ass board layout are ready.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
I'd be very down for KAT Space Cadet, but can't say I'm fond of the "40s first" mentality of these kits. That said, I understand it's aimed as a reaction to the "40s last" mentality that's often prevalent.

Personally I think it would make more sense to have separate mod kits, one/two for 40s/ortho (depending on whether you split) and another for larger boards. Expecting users of larger boards to buy the 40s kit and then an addon for that may not be ideal (I understand the irony here, but you've undermined your own point by making it KAT).

I do love the "overcompensation" kit name though.

Nonetheless, I wish this project well, and may join if the kitting goes somewhere I like  ;)

The Standard Mods kit was not designed to be a 40s kit. It is a mods kit for most users, and  the 'overcompensation' kit is designed for 65+ boards. If I were to redo the kits in such a way that you only need alphas and overcompensation, you would have many duplicate keys. I'm tweaking the mods kit so that you don't have to buy it and overcompensation for a 60%.

Gotcha - the kits are a little hard to decipher in their current format, hopefully they become a bit more intuitive in the tweaks. The reason I concluded that standard mods must be for 40s was the complete omission of any R1, which is characteristic of 40s kits (to be clear though, KAT's actual sculpt is 543211 (5 being f row) and I recommend converting the kits to this format to avoid confusion with the manufacturer later).

My personal opinion is that a 60s - TKL mod kit makes most sense, rather than splitting off anything TKL related (the current overcompensation kit also does not cover 65% and 75% due to the lack of right column nav keys). My philosophy on this is reflected in my kits for Lich, but this is not a gold standard of course.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Offline tominabox1

Since we're still having a lot of discussion on the best way to kit this, and with so many options, lets have a little poll. 

https://www.strawpoll.me/18970284

Litch and Eternal have combined 40s and Ortho set and a 60/TKL set, both with full mods and some spacebars

Milkshake has large 40s kit like we are proposing but also large 60/TKL set like Litch and Eternal

They're not all that different from each other, but clearly different from what we're proposing here.

We've been in touch with a US vendor and working on contracting some renders but I really want to get a closer to final kit design set first before we go producing any renders. I know you're hungry for it though! Be back again soon

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Since we're still having a lot of discussion on the best way to kit this, and with so many options, lets have a little poll. 

https://www.strawpoll.me/18970284

Litch and Eternal have combined 40s and Ortho set and a 60/TKL set, both with full mods and some spacebars

Milkshake has large 40s kit like we are proposing but also large 60/TKL set like Litch and Eternal

They're not all that different from each other, but clearly different from what we're proposing here.

We've been in touch with a US vendor and working on contracting some renders but I really want to get a closer to final kit design set first before we go producing any renders. I know you're hungry for it though! Be back again soon

You could do large 40s and large ortho like Milkshake, and then a TKL set like Eternal/Lich - I'm actually considering doing the same for Lich, but haven't had much feedback around it.

My main issue with Milkshake was how it split off a "specialties" kit, which I don't think is necessary.

By the way, is there an invite to the 40s Discord available somewhere? I'd love to get some insight from your side of things (and it'd probably be easier than in a forum format like this).

Offline psxndc

For the Colevrak Kit, Dvorcol has a great reference depending on if you want to support just Colemak and Dvorak or if you want to support variants of those and a bunch of others by adding a few keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 10:26:39 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline tominabox1

For the Colevrak Kit, Dvorcol has a great reference depending on if you want to support just Colemak and Dvorak or if you want to support variants of those and a bunch of others by adding a few keys.

Oh neat, we'll definitely use this thanks!

We're actively working on re-kitting 40s and 60+ right now, then we'll get to the goofball layouts (colemak, norde etc)

Offline harlekein

A Colevrak kit with "accurate" symbol placement would be enormous.

You could just go for it and pay the price, but... since this is KAT, we might as well separate a couple of layouts into their own kits.

But honestly, if cadet monolegends become a thing I'm not even interested in Colevrak kit.

Offline psxndc

Oh neat, we'll definitely use this thanks!

Re-uploaded the image; the one I previously attached was slightly out of whack. If the D and H keys are brown, you're using the right one.  :thumb:
Ortho. Always.

Offline tominabox1

You could just go for it and pay the price, but... since this is KAT, we might as well separate a couple of layouts into their own kits.

But honestly, if cadet monolegends become a thing I'm not even interested in Colevrak kit.

Litch and Eternal both have Colevrak kits, are those a problem?  They're basically full alpha kits....actually that's probably how I'd propose we do it so you don't have to buy both.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
If you're working for the mavericks, the forgotten ,the underprivileged, would you be ready to considere an FR kit?

Offline harlekein

Litch and Eternal both have Colevrak kits, are those a problem?  They're basically full alpha kits....actually that's probably how I'd propose we do it so you don't have to buy both.

You would think they are full alpha kits by the size of them, but they're not. They require alpha and colevrak for correct coverage.

The other point I mentioned in the discord. You either have to accept the symbols will be in odd places, or a lot of additional keys will have to be created because the sublegend will be out of their original position.

Offline psxndc

^^^^

The Colevrak kits in Lich and Eternal look big because they are the full Colevrak+ from the graphic I posted (white+blue+brown). As Harlekein said, you still need Alphas to cover the rest of the board. Such is the literal price weirdos like me pay for using a non-QWERTY layout.

Litch and Eternal both have Colevrak kits, are those a problem? 

In terms of Harlekein saying:

I think they meant a symbols-only run, with no latin characters at all (like a hiragana-only "Kobe" kit) would mean they wouldn't need/want a Colevrak kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 10:58:51 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline harlekein

^^^^

The Colevrak kits in Lich and Eternal look big because they are the full Colevrak+ from the graphic I posted (white+blue+brown). As Harlekein said, you still need Alphas to cover the rest of the board. Such is the literal price weirdos like me pay for using a non-QWERTY layout.

I think they meant a symbols-only run, with no latin characters at all (like a hiragana-only "Kobe" kit) would mean they wouldn't need/want a Colevrak kit.

Correct.

But if full alpha Colevrak kit is here I'd get both.

Offline psxndc

Correct.

I've seen your posts before. I got you, fam.
Ortho. Always.

Offline damagepoint

I love kat and I love space cadet.  Im in as long as I can put the kits together for a cp1800

Offline Adelscott

I would buy this with an ISO-FR kit. Not for 40s but for 60, TKL or even full layout.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
I would buy this with an ISO-FR kit. Not for 40s but for 60, TKL or even full layout.
X 2  :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Please keep the r3 Ctrl in the ortho kit, please and thank you!

Offline MdotMaxson

Ergodox? Boardwalk? Ergodox? Boardwalk?

Offline tominabox1

The poll results were pretty clear so we're working hard on updating kitting to be more consistent with Litch and Eternal. We're still maintaining an AMAZING 40s kit.

We've got some great players involved, I can't wait to share!

YES!

To be clear, that's what row? (Q/A/Z?) Gets confusing because KAT is "backwards"

^^^^

Correct.

Right now its up in the air whether we will be able to do properly sub-legened Colevrak. Need to discuss it with the team but I'd love to be able to do this!

Offline MdotMaxson

The poll results were pretty clear so we're working hard on updating kitting to be more consistent with Litch and Eternal. We're still maintaining an AMAZING 40s kit.

YES!

To be clear, that's what row? (Q/A/Z?) Gets confusing because KAT is "backwards"

^^^^

Correct.

Right now its up in the air whether we will be able to do properly sub-legened Colevrak. Need to discuss it with the team but I'd love to be able to do this!

YES!

^^^^

Correct.

Awesome! I didn’t check when I wrote that because I didn’t have the time to look for the required keys. However it appears all you need is 2 1.5u R1 keys at minimum and that would cover a boardwalk minimally. Or do you plan on adding an Ergo Kit, like how KAT Eternal and KAT Lich have done? You could go blanks like the previous mentioned or we could get crazy and do custom legends on an ergo kit to make the panties drop.

KAT is the new GMK. Well maybe not yet..... but I bet this time next year everyone will have forgotten about GMK and all the iconic new sets will be on KAT. Nothing beats their ability to do small kits, PBT, and that sound profile.

Offline tominabox1

Awesome! I didn’t check when I wrote that because I didn’t have the time to look for the required keys. However it appears all you need is 2 1.5u R1 keys at minimum and that would cover a boardwalk minimally. Or do you plan on adding an Ergo Kit, like how KAT Eternal and KAT Lich have done? You could go blanks like the previous mentioned or we could get crazy and do custom legends on an ergo kit to make the panties drop.

KAT is the new GMK. Well maybe not yet..... but I bet this time next year everyone will have forgotten about GMK and all the iconic new sets will be on KAT. Nothing beats their ability to do small kits, PBT, and that sound profile.
[/quote]

We will be having ergo kits like Litch.   As far as panty dropping goes, we might have to have panty dropping money to do the legend design  :eek: But we're trying to see what is feasible. 

Offline tominabox1

Re: [IC] KAT SmolCadet: a 40s Discord community project 60%+ supported!
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 19:29:40 »
BIG update in the OP  :p :p :p :p :p

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 20:22:30 »
oh

my

GOD
 :eek: lemme take a few to let these kits sit in lmao
looks fabulous

Offline psxndc

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 23:29:40 »

Lemme say, after seeing Symbiosis and the original Symbolics kb, I'm really glad you're breaking with the theme of black legends for the bottom half mods. I think it looks odd. Love white legends all around.
Ortho. Always.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 23:55:29 »

Lemme say, after seeing Symbiosis and the original Symbolics kb, I'm really glad you're breaking with the theme of black legends for the bottom half mods. I think it looks odd. Love white legends all around.

I think a separate addon mod kit for it would be cool, but i agree it shouldn't be default

Offline harlekein

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 23:56:03 »
Really disappointed that this was a 40s first kit and now it's not.

Even moreso when you are combining 40s and ortho as if this is GMK. As I pointed out in the Lich thread, it's a bum deal for ortho users and there's absolutely no reason for it with KAT.

If the kits are like this I'm out.

Offline huey

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 02:36:49 »
I'm glad you've organized the kits this way, and the fact that you are giving some of the smaller regional communities some love. KATs production method means we can have our cake and eat it too. That being said - I don't think merging ortho and 40s is the best outcome for all and I think giving your thought process on it would be nice to see.

The set is great anyway as it'd be nice to have more KAT kits available, and most people love Space Cadet.  Highly anticipating the renders and more eyes to see this IC.
Take my money and best of luck man.

Offline ronny boi

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 02:56:19 »
Shouldn't this just be called KAT Space Cadet now?

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.

I've said this before and I will again. When it comes to KAT profile sets, instead of R1, R2, ... Rn, we should be talking about K1, K2, ... Kn (ok, Kn...K1, but the points does get across).

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 13:04:14 »
It is not that I mean to be a ****, but that I can't help to not notice flaws.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

While everyone's going nuts about the modifier kits, I took a look at the alphas kits. And they need revision, to ensure they properly fulfill their "cadet-y" qualities with the proper Math symbols present.

I'll exemplify this with the BEFR kit, which should make its point clearly enough:

None of the five letters (A, Q, W, Z, M) has its corresponding math symbol adjusted. Granted, "French Cadet" keyboards did not exist, but that begs the question of whether to move the letters but not the Math symbols, or to move them both (and of course it has to be the former, not the latter), but the kits as stand now would leave those letters unaccompanied while other letters retain their math symbols, which definitely is the worst choice.

Same goes for the Colevrak kit. Perhaps it would be best to do "full alphas" Dvorak-cadet and Colemak-cadet kits, instead of a simple differential kit?

Heck, that last bit actually goes for ALL alpha possibilities (language-wise and QWERTY/nonQWERTY-wise), come to think of it.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 15:09:58 »
French Kit?
I'm in!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 20:47:50 »
Shouldn't this just be called KAT Space Cadet now?

Space KAdeT.

Nice.

Just want to say I'm excited to put either Colevrak or symbol-only alphas on my 40%.

Offline datarama

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 06:44:27 »
Awesome project! I have three suggestions.

1. Black legends on blue keys on the two lower rows, like on the original Space Cadet. On the original, this was supposed to mean that white-on-grey produced printable characters, white-on-blue produced special characters and black-on-blue were modifiers --- though even the original documentation noted that they weren't particularly consistent about it.

2. Modifiers that, rather than PC-style "ctrl"/"sys"/"alt" have the Lisp Machine-style "hyper"/"super"/"meta" legends.

3. A 1.75u ESCAPE key to go in the usual caps lock position. I know there's probably like two other Lisp enthusiasts who use Vim, but hey, a nerd can hope.

That would pretty much make for my dream keycap set.

Offline catbus

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 08:57:05 »
Would love if we could get a full hyper7 set  ;)

Offline alas

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 13:40:17 »
Would love if we could get a full hyper7 set  ;)

You. Stop reading our DMs! ;)

Offline geewiz

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 16:09:40 »
2. Modifiers that, rather than PC-style "ctrl"/"sys"/"alt" have the Lisp Machine-style "hyper"/"super"/"meta" legends.

Definitely!

3. A 1.75u ESCAPE key to go in the usual caps lock position. I know there's probably like two other Lisp enthusiasts who use Vim, but hey, a nerd can hope.

You are not alone, my friend.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 16:18:43 »
1. Black legends on blue keys on the two lower rows, like on the original Space Cadet. On the original, this was supposed to mean that white-on-grey produced printable characters, white-on-blue produced special characters and black-on-blue were modifiers --- though even the original documentation noted that they weren't particularly consistent about it.

I'll second this. The combo of black on blue & white on blue legends was part of the charm of the original set.

Offline tominabox1

Re: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - huge kit update, NA vendor announced (23 Nov 2019)
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 20:38:18 »
Check out them kits now boys and girls!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Welcome MKUltra Corp to the Vendor team!

We're currently working on renders, hoping to have them very soon. High five for Alas on helping with these awesome kits!

Offline angelax

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:40:24 »
I worry you'll struggle to get all these kits to MOQ in a GB but I'm cautiously optimistic!

Count me in for mono legends and ortho mods for sure.  Maybe novelties, numpad, and ergo.

Offline phunktional

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:41:53 »
I worry you'll struggle to get all these kits to MOQ in a GB but I'm cautiously optimistic!
I think KAT MOQ is different than GMK and isn’t based on sets but overall unit count.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:49:19 »
I think KAT MOQ is different than GMK and isn’t based on sets but overall unit count.

Yep! KAT has a unit moq - as in each key is 1 unit or a spacebar is 6.25 etc. so you can run as many kits as you want and as long as the total is above that MOQ you get everything made!

Offline angelax

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:53:47 »

Oh that's very cool.  I did not know that.

Looking forward to renders. The spacing on some of the keys looks a little funky now, excited to see how they'll look in a more realistic render.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 05:00:21 »
Interested! A full Colemak alpha kit is something special :D
However, some small feedback to the Colemak kit: As it stands right now, if you use Colemak DH, you have the same sublegends on the neighbouring keys D and V as well as M and H. Can you therefore also include a V with the three horizontal lines sublegend and an M with the <= sublegend?

A asdf row closing bracket key _might_ also be appreciated by some Colemak users. Info: https://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/wide.html

I used Colemak DH in the past but I use the Workman layout at the moment. Just wanted to mention that I would buy a Workman kit if you made one, but I also understand if it's too niche. The monolegends don't cut it for me, unfortunately.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 06:31:12 »
However, some small feedback to the Colemak kit: As it stands right now, if you use Colemak DH, you have the same sublegends on the neighbouring keys D and V as well as M and H. Can you therefore also include a V with the three horizontal lines sublegend and an M with the <= sublegend?

Seconding this.

I'm really impressed with how these kits are turning out. Having a dedicated Colemak and Dvorak kit is a whole new world and only possible to see with KAT. I hope this is a trend that will pick up for more kits.

I am most definitely buying both Colemak and mono cadet alphas.

For ortho:

For prionic and such, R4 DEL key would be good to add. Other than that, I believe it's a very complete kit. Awesom job!

Offline alas

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 09:50:48 »

A asdf row closing bracket key _might_ also be appreciated by some Colemak users. Info: https://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/wide.html

I used Colemak DH in the past but I use the Workman layout at the moment. Just wanted to mention that I would buy a Workman kit if you made one, but I also understand if it's too niche. The monolegends don't cut it for me, unfortunately.

Done! Will be a while before the post is updated but your suggestions are in there :)

Offline geewiz

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 11:59:42 »
I'm in for alphas, mods and black mods for a 60%, Space Cadet is a must-have for me.

However, it would be awesome if there was a 6uOC spacebar in the spacebars set; I'd also buy that, the novelties and the numpad to kit out my G80-11900.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2019, 12:01:59 by geewiz »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 12:50:29 »
I'm in for alphas, mods and black mods for a 60%, Space Cadet is a must-have for me.

However, it would be awesome if there was a 6uOC spacebar in the spacebars set; I'd also buy that, the novelties and the numpad to kit out my G80-11900.
Assuming that OC refers to off centre stem, it's worth noting that KAT Alpha's 6u space was off centre stem. I'm unsure if they have a centre stem 6u mould.