Author Topic: I need some help? Would you mind  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Calsonic

• Love like there's no tomorrow.
I need some help? Would you mind
« on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 20:19:14 »
Hey guys! While installing a new spacebar that I bought recently I found out that it didn't fit my actual keyboard. I don't know if is there any way I can adapt the new keycap to my keyboard. I've got some pics and the actual size of both keycaps. Thank you for your time! NEW KEYCAP: 11.8 cm, OLD KEYCAP: 12.2 cm.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: I need some help? Would you mind
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 21:43:00 »
Can you show us the keyboard as well?  Thanks

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 23:32:32 »
Hey guys! While installing a new spacebar that I bought recently I found out that it didn't fit my actual keyboard. I don't know if is there any way I can adapt the new keycap to my keyboard. I've got some pics and the actual size of both keycaps. Thank you for your time! NEW KEYCAP: 11.8 cm, OLD KEYCAP: 12.2 cm.

Nope. No way to adapt one to another. For your info, there's a list of spacebar dimensions & some keyboards they fit here.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 06:38:05 »

For sure! The keyboard brand is Corsair and the model is Strafe RGB @pixelpusher

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 07:20:16 »

For sure! The keyboard brand is Corsair and the model is Strafe RGB @pixelpusher

Corsair & their proprietary keycaps strike again. The issue is Corsair uses a non standardized 6.5u spacebar while 6.25u (that is the size of your novelty spacebar) is the most standard size. Really no way to adapt it, although it may fit with bigger gaps on the sides if you can live with that. It looks like the stabilizer & switch posts line up to each other.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 07:32:25 by Rob27shred »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 07:21:22 »
Okay, I see.  Yes, the strafe has a non-standard size space bar.  There is no way to adapt for a different size, unfortunately.  If you want to find a replacement, you’ll need to search for a 6.5 unit space bar (the new one you are trying to use is a more common 6.25 unit).

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:17:03 »

Not sure if either will fit with your desired color scheme or profile, but PMK has two 6.5 spacebars currently available.  They're both DCS profile: one red, one blue.  The shades of red and blue are nonstandard, so you may want to ask PMK's customer service for a photograph.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-spacebars-pack-of-1/

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:17:37 »

Corsair & their proprietary keycaps strike again. The issue is Corsair uses a non standardized 6.5u spacebar while 6.25u (that is the size of your novelty spacebar) is the most standard size. Really no way to adapt it, although it may fit with bigger gaps on the sides if you can live with that. It looks like the stabilizer & switch posts line up to each other.

Alright, thank you so much for your time guys. You are so great!

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:19:09 »

Not sure if either will fit with your desired color scheme or profile, but PMK has two 6.5 spacebars currently available.  They're both DCS profile: one red, one blue.  The shades of red and blue are nonstandard, so you may want to ask PMK's customer service for a photograph.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-spacebars-pack-of-1/

I'll look them up, thanks bud!

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:10:21 »
I also thought this. I made a sketch so you guys can aprove it :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:27:02 »
If you can get the stems (the bits you need to move) exactly the right height and spacing as well as being level that should work, assuming there's room inside the cap for the stabilisers when you press it.  It's far from an easy mod but the cap is useless as-is so may as well give it a go?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:30:29 »
If you can get the stems (the bits you need to move) exactly the right height and spacing as well as being level that should work, assuming there's room inside the cap for the stabilisers when you press it.  It's far from an easy mod but the cap is useless as-is so may as well give it a go?
I'll give it a go and i'll post updates on this thread.

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:36:55 »
The idea here is cutting the steams with a dremel tool and moving them to the side, if that doesn't work I would need to buy some steams. Does anybody know where to buy those? Just in case if needed.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:52:44 »
Nowhere sells stems as they're only useful when perfectly attached to keycaps.  You could find someone nearby who has random caps from a grab bag but they won't be any easier to remove...

Good luck, you're going to need it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:12:20 »
Nowhere sells stems as they're only useful when perfectly attached to keycaps.  You could find someone nearby who has random caps from a grab bag but they won't be any easier to remove...

Good luck, you're going to need it.
Thanks bud, i'll try as hard as I can.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:38:12 »
I also thought this. I made a sketch so you guys can aprove it :)

So they don't line up, the mod you are thinking of will be a hard one to do but not impossible. The one thing to check before you cut anything though is if you move the stems will the sides of the spacebar clear the stabilizer housings. If not the mod will all be in vain & the spacebar will be trashed. If you don't cut it you can at least try to resell it on r/mechmarket or the classifieds here.

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 10:21:38 »
Today is a happy day, I finally had some time to modify the spacebar and it came out excellent. It was a bit hard to remove the bits but it's worth the time invested.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 17:44:46 »
Today is a happy day, I finally had some time to modify the spacebar and it came out excellent. It was a bit hard to remove the bits but it's worth the time invested.

Nice, it did come out good man!

Offline Calsonic

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 11:43:40 »
Thx bud :)