Author Topic: Advice on re-cabling Filco Majestouch 2 TKL  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Ciemnika

Advice on re-cabling Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
« on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:22:31 »
I've recently gotten a Filco TKL and one of the checkboxes on my wish list is to re-cable it. I would like to re-cable with a removable cable, if possible. Have any of you done this? Are there any quick disconnect kits available? I'm not scared of modding the existing case, but ultimately, the goal is to replace the factory case with an aluminum one. If you're able to provide insight into the re-cabling process, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Basically my questions are:

1) Are there any readily available quick disconnect kits that would give me a USB female port for my keyboard?
2) Any good resources for coiled braided USB cables? Searching isn't really providing me much useful info.
3) Have you ever Dremeled a Filco case? How'd it go? I'm pretty good with this sort of thing, but I'm curious about how the material behaves and what kind of bit / attachment you used.

Thanks!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Advice on re-cabling Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:29:17 »
2) Any good resources for coiled braided USB cables? Searching isn't really providing me much useful info.
There are two big places to buy them from here: Zeal and Pexon. I've dealt with Zeal on more than one occasion and highly recommend him, though people also speak highly of Pexon, though he is UK based
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 17:52:03 »
On my end, I've just recently dealt with Pexon. Very fast replies to any questions I have and prices seem reasonable. Depending on where your're located, you can't go wrong with either Zeal or pexon. Both are highly recommended.

This is what I ordered.
http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/filco-keyboard-mods > this is the quick disconnect, connectors are one for the PCB and the other end is a female USB A
http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/usb-cables > this has both ends with a USB A male connectors that connect from the modded cable to the pc.

He also sells coiled cables. Really there are many options to choose from. If you have any questions, just pm pexon. He usually replies in a day or two
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 17:55:32 »
There are two big places to buy them from here: Zeal and Pexon. I've dealt with Zeal on more than one occasion and highly recommend him, though people also speak highly of Pexon, though he is UK based

BRUH.

MIMIC CABLES FTW
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.