Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251105 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:15:38 »
Any chance to get a second cable additionally?

Sure. Just drop me an email. My address is in my avatar/profile.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:18:21 »
Trying to decide if Galaxy, Monte Carlo, or Singularity would match Red Samurai better.  Hyperglossy would gel with the lacquered look I think this set deserves but textured might look good too... grr decisions...
Any aesthetics experts can help me out?

(Attachment Link)

I would totally pass on Singularity cause I think it will look simply amazing but! Think of the finger prints, a high gloss finish is going to show finger prints like crazy. Since your keyboard is in a high traffic spot. Though shouldn't get touched a lot its still going to get touched on occasion. Personally I would go with the Tactical black for that. I think it look amazing with that set. I hope you don't mind me asking how do you like the slide adapters? did they change the sound are feel of the key's by much? I read they really affect sound and feel wondering if thats true.

Offline norbauer

the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:21:14 »
Trying to decide if Galaxy, Monte Carlo, or Singularity would match Red Samurai better.  Hyperglossy would gel with the lacquered look I think this set deserves but textured might look good too... grr decisions...
Any aesthetics experts can help me out?

(Attachment Link)

I would totally pass on Singularity cause I think it will look simply amazing but! Think of the finger prints, a high gloss finish is going to show finger prints like crazy. Since your keyboard is in a high traffic spot. Though shouldn't get touched a lot its still going to get touched on occasion. Personally I would go with the Tactical black for that. I think it look amazing with that set. I hope you don't mind me asking how do you like the slide adapters? did they change the sound are feel of the key's by much? I read they really affect sound and feel wondering if thats true.

Agreed on the fingerprints. I added this option on request, but this is a beautiful truly gloss finish with a dark color, meaning it will definitely show fingerprints (until it is completely covered, at which point you don’t notice again). So the options are to embrace it or be prepared to be polishing it with a soft cloth all day to wipe away the prints. If it’s just for a collection/show, however, it’s a great color.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:39:58 »
I am sooo dam torn between white and purple.

Y not both?  :-\

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:41:33 »
So the options are to embrace it or be prepared to be polishing it with a soft cloth all day to wipe away the prints.
So exactly like black lacquer then mmmmmm this is really tough to choose.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 11:30:30 »
Finally jumped in, with one tactical black  :thumb:

And now .. the waiting game begins.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #256 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 18:28:16 »
Amazing work as always Ryan, the design is awesome.

I'll be getting my Realforce on the 25th which leaves 6 days to make a proper decision :P I'm really beginning to lean towards the white and pairing it with 9009, so I made a horrible mockup of what it might look like...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:04:06 »

I'll be getting my Realforce on the 25th which leaves 6 days to make a proper decision :P I'm really beginning to lean towards the white and pairing it with 9009, so I made a horrible mockup of what it might look like...

short right shift?

where can i get an RF with a short right shift and stepped caps lock
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:34:29 »

I haven't used sliders yet but yeah I hear even lubed the outcome is not as good as stock, but this is all about aesthetics right? 
If I opt to stay stock I'll probably try red pbt caps if not stock white/gray.
Fingerprints don't bother me too much since they can usually just be elbow greased.
Tried a couple hours in paint with the tactical black mockup from earlier, the layout isn't exact but:
185019-0

Oh no.  I think I need this to happen.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #259 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 20:23:27 »

I haven't used sliders yet but yeah I hear even lubed the outcome is not as good as stock, but this is all about aesthetics right? 
If I opt to stay stock I'll probably try red pbt caps if not stock white/gray.
Fingerprints don't bother me too much since they can usually just be elbow greased.
Tried a couple hours in paint with the tactical black mockup from earlier, the layout isn't exact but:
(Attachment Link)

Oh no.  I think I need this to happen.

Thanks for the info about the sliders and all. I think going to go with simply a set of orange topar cap's then mix and watch. Most likely arrow/WASD Modifers in orange then leave the rest of the key's in the ninja black stock. Then I got a orange fugu that will match nicely now! That can go on the board also. I love the black/orange combo so hopefully it will turn out nicely.

Offline krey

« Reply #260 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 04:42:20 »
so happy to have joined the GB for a tactical black!
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline EugeneYap83

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 22:18:51 »
Norbauer, Could you help me lower clear anodized by 12 bucks pretty please?
Because anything above 400SGD including shipping cost (after PayPal conversion) I would have to pay additional 7% GST import and I can't apply for GST exemption unless it's an investment precious metals

Nevermind ignore that, I would settle for red or anno black
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 December 2017, 13:35:25 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 10:47:40 »
5 days left  :-X
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline Will_26

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 12:16:18 »

I've gone from wanting silver, to trying to choose between black or white and now I'm thinking grey... Need to make my mind up!

Offline graefeln

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 12:49:51 »

I've gone from wanting silver, to trying to choose between black or white and now I'm thinking grey... Need to make my mind up!

I know what you mean; I bounced around so many colors - blockers or not. Even had Norbauer change my color once and then refund me another time so that I could add blockers. He was real nice about it all though. I think it's a testament to his color choices that such an issues exists to being with.

Good luck with your choice. Ultimately, I don't think you can really go wrong with any - grey does sound like a nice, neutral color though.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 13:06:30 »
mine is coming together! Tangerine Colored Fugu, Orange Realforce Key set incoming. I think going to use the Modifiers and F5-F8.. then add in a all black Tactical case!!! ugh end game is where its at!

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 13:27:30 »
In for singularity, mulling over which of the 3 blacks to get really baked my noodle but I know I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get the glossy black, endgame just has to shine

Offline Will_26

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 14:30:25 »

I know what you mean; I bounced around so many colors - blockers or not. Even had Norbauer change my color once and then refund me another time so that I could add blockers. He was real nice about it all though. I think it's a testament to his color choices that such an issues exists to being with.

Good luck with your choice. Ultimately, I don't think you can really go wrong with any - grey does sound like a nice, neutral color though.

Exactly that, so many options is great and a first world problem at the same time. Yeah his service is top class. When a GB of his comes up is not a question of will I join it's always a question of what to choose :-)

Grey seems like it would go well with black on black keycaps which are the ones I have on my RF. I also like the idea of the Stormtrooper look and the black on black on black too! In addition the possibility of modding to MX sliders in the future means thinking of what GMK 9009 would go with among other keysets. Choices! Good luck with yours too :-) As you say whatever you end up with will be awesome.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 14:36:19 »

Exactly that, so many options is great and a first world problem at the same time. Yeah his service is top class. When a GB of his comes up is not a question of will I join it's always a question of what to choose :-)

Grey seems like it would go well with black on black keycaps which are the ones I have on my RF. I also like the idea of the Stormtrooper look and the black on black on black too! In addition the possibility of modding to MX sliders in the future means thinking of what GMK 9009 would go with among other keysets. Choices! Good luck with yours too :-) As you say whatever you end up with will be awesome.

Personally, I like the 'stormtrooper' look more than black-on-black-on-black; at the same time though, I prefer the textured look over the mid-gloss of the white. The grey seems like
a nice middle ground where you still get some contrast, but with a nice texture that will be hard to find in other cases.

As for me, I changed up to Astrophysical Purple (with blockers) and am going to run green alphas/black mods/orange space bar. Ideally, I would also like to find a decent blue WASD set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 December 2017, 14:38:13 by graefeln »

Offline graefeln

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 14:36:48 »
Edit: I quoted myself instead of modifying my message above. Disregard this.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 15:07:29 »

Personally, I like the 'stormtrooper' look more than black-on-black-on-black; at the same time though, I prefer the textured look over the mid-gloss of the white. The grey seems like
a nice middle ground where you still get some contrast, but with a nice texture that will be hard to find in other cases.

As for me, I changed up to Astrophysical Purple (with blockers) and am going to run green alphas/black mods/orange space bar. Ideally, I would also like to find a decent blue WASD set.

I think you're right and grey is probably the right choice :-) the purple one is amazing, will look awesome with those caps!

Offline Will_26

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 15:08:31 »
Norbauer do you have any full photos of the grey case? Would be very interested to see them and also what it looks like with black on black caps :-)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 16:30:54 »

You should instead switch to Retro Refrigerator and go for a Mystery Machine theme. :P

Offline UnFocused

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 18:48:44 »
I was trying to resist, but resistance is futile and ordered the anodized aluminum one for my white Realforce. The aluminum case I have for my Phantom has ruined plastic keyboard cases for me.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 14:59:07 »
Finally got some typing tests up!

This is well-worn daily-driver RealForce 87U of many years inside a Norbaforce housing. The finish shown is the textured powder coat Enigma Black.

Four configurations demonstrated:
1) No risers installed, Silverstone foam liner (not included) installed against lower plate
2) Risers installed, Silverstone foam liner (not included) installed against lower plate
3) No risers installed, no foam
4) Risers installed, no foam

The keyboard is resting on a marble surface.

I can barely tell the difference between them in person (or in the video), but my personal favorite sounding option by a slim margin would be flat + foam.

Sorry for the slightly echoic room. I plan on installing sound dampening material--just haven't gotten around to it yet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 December 2017, 18:50:50 by norbauer »

Offline Fadamaque

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 15:25:03 »
Thanks for that video!

Are these the 45g domes? Also, the sound probably becomes more pronounced if the keyboard is placed on a not so "dead" material as stone, i.e. wood?
RF87U, HHKB

Offline norbauer

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 15:28:02 »
Thanks for that video!

Are these the 45g domes? Also, the sound probably becomes more pronounced if the keyboard is placed on a not so "dead" material as stone, i.e. wood?

They're 30g domes, actually.

I used the stone slab on my photo shooting table because the only other table I have in my photo studio is a super cheap (basically hollow) $15 Ikea table, which would have probably created some unwanted resonance. Most desks, which are more solid, would probably sound more like the stone than that ****ty table. ;)

Offline Fadamaque

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:32:47 »
Ah, 30g, cool.

I am actually using a hollow IKEA table at the moment, so the example would be rather apt in my case!  :)) :-[
RF87U, HHKB

Offline regionfree

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:50:58 »
While waiting for this, trying to bump up the fc660c’s position in your “possible projects” queue.

+1 for norb660c

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:17:01 »
While waiting for this, trying to bump up the fc660c’s position in your “possible projects” queue.

+1 for norb660c

would also like to +1 this :P... as the FC660C really needs some love also!!!

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:26:32 »
Man, the way it sounds in the video is so incredibly dank. Will be curios to see how it sounds w 60g domes  :p

Offline norbauer

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 18:50:53 »

+1 for norb660c

It's totally next.  :cool:

BTW, Huey over at TopClack pointed out that the audio gain was a bit low on the video I posted earlier, so I've updated the YouTube link above to a version that is a bit louder.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 19:11:51 »

+1 for norb660c

It's totally next.  :cool:

Oooh you better mean that! 2018 is the year of the Topre!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 19:20:10 »
am stoked wonder what case would look best with the retro cream colored board! hmmm guess I gotta start planning. This case cost as much as the real force case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 19:29:49 »
am stoked wonder what case would look best with the retro cream colored board! hmmm guess I gotta start planning. This case cost as much as the real force case?

Way too early to say the cost. It’s smaller but I also keep getting more ambitious/complicated with my designs, so I’ll probably figure out some baroque way to make it still cost a lot. =\

Offline regionfree

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 20:42:03 »
Way too early to say the cost. It’s smaller but I also keep getting more ambitious/complicated with my designs, so I’ll probably figure out some baroque way to make it still cost a lot. =\

I personally like your designs. It’s not the flashiness, but the restraint, and the clean lines.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 20:50:13 »

I personally like your designs. It’s not the flashiness, but the restraint, and the clean lines.

Sometimes great design is not what you add, but what you are left with when you have taken away ornamentation and unnecessary complication. In my opinion the genius of the Norbaforce is the unibody appearance and lack of visible seam combined with high-quality finishes with interesting textures.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 20:52:08 »
I agree it reminds me of Ferrari vs a Rolls Royce... Ferrari is fast its flashy its superb. The Rolls Royce is just as fast! its not as Flashy and its just more regal and upscale. When you see the Rolls Royce you think. Damn there goes someone who is Classy and enjoy's the most luxurious things to be had. Thats how the Realforce case makes me feel.

I know most likely we won't see the FC660C cases until julyish at the earliest so if it ends up being 300 dollars. It will be worth every penny I think.

Offline norbauer

the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 21:00:48 »
Thanks guys! Yes, I wasn’t talking about increasing design ornamentation but rather evolving into increasingly sophisticated manufacturing techniques, assembly methods, finishes, and materials. I’ll definitely always stick with an elemental minimalist aesthetic; my personal predilections wouldn’t let me do otherwise!

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 06:08:45 »
Good evening,

just entered for a Tactical Black one and want to express that I'm very grateful to you norbauer to make this happen and fulfill one of my dreams!

My Realforce is very excited to get that new luxury and I've to take care she is going to stay calm for the next couple of months, which will be very hard.
She is going to look even more gorgeous than now  ;)

(Attachment Link)

Have a nice day

@Makami what color did you finally choose? I am getting nervous  :eek: but I am quite decided between TacticalBlack / RetroRefrigerator / SpaceStationWhite...
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 06:40:36 »

WOW! That option is sick! I really like it! Congrats.
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline Will_26

« Reply #291 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:00:28 »

WOW! That option is sick! I really like it! Congrats.

Thanks Troif! I've been thinking a lot about the money and effort that would need to go into converting to decent MX sliders with full compatibility, and I think it might not be worth it. Especially after receiving the board at Christmas, I am really impressed with the stock black on black caps, so going to stick with those and I think I've decided on the Grey case now to match :) Good luck with your decision!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:28:42 »
TopClack review!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:52:46 »
Great review! I assume his plate is misaligned because there is obviously an issue with alignment at 3:41, see the gap on the left compared to the one on the right. Same thing happens with my Digilog unless I reseat it a few times, but the Digilog isn't top mount. Issue doesn't appear in Norbauer's photos or videos.

Kinda weird that Manofinterests would do the review with a misaligned plate. To be fair, he did mention that there were tolerance issues with his sample that would be solved in the final run.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:00:53 by amoswetherbee »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:59:28 »
Great review! I assume his plate is misaligned because there is obviously an issue with alignment at 3:41, see the gap on the left compared to the one on the right. Same thing happens with my Digilog unless I reseat it a few times, but the Digilog isn't top mount. Issue doesn't appear in Norbauer's photos.

Good eye. Two points: 1) it can take a couple of attempts to get the alignment right when installing the plate because of the way that I've hung the plate from above making it a bit hard to see and screw-in the plate at the same time, and 2) I actually tweaked the spacing of the key openings a bit in the final production units (as shown in the product photography of the black anodized sample), both to make it more accurately match up with the keys themselves and also to be slightly more forgiving of accidental mis-alignments at install. My original prototype design (of which Huey's unit is an example) was a little tight right in the area that you pointed out, so I essentially shifted that divider bar ever to slightly to the right.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:08:49 »
Great review! I assume his plate is misaligned because there is obviously an issue with alignment at 3:41, see the gap on the left compared to the one on the right. Same thing happens with my Digilog unless I reseat it a few times, but the Digilog isn't top mount. Issue doesn't appear in Norbauer's photos.

Good eye. Two points: 1) it can take a couple of attempts to get the alignment right when installing the plate because of the way that I've hung the plate from above making it a bit hard to see and screw-in the plate at the same time, and 2) I actually tweaked the spacing of the key openings a bit in the final production units (as shown in the product photography of the black anodized sample), both to make it more accurately match up with the keys themselves and also to be slightly more forgiving of accidental mis-alignments at install. My original prototype design (of which Huey's unit is an example) was a little tight right in the area that you pointed out, so I essentially shifted that divider bar ever to slightly to the right.

Sound great. Thanks! The extra tolerance should also help with artisan caps. Topre Reapers, Mummies and the like tend to be a bit taller or fatter and can hit aftermarket housings when pressed if the alignment isn't perfect.

It might be a good idea for folks to mount the plate with the top facing up to get proper alignment with the screws loose before committing to tightening them. The way Huey screwed the plate in with the keyboard resting on the keys is just asking for issues.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:12:07 by amoswetherbee »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:11:50 »

Sound great. Thanks! The extra tolerance should also help with artisan caps. Reapers, mummies and the like tend to be a bit taller and can hit aftermarket housings.

It might be a good idea for folks to mount the plate with the top facing up to get proper alignment with the screws loose before committing to tightening them. The way Huey screwed them in with the keyboard resting on the keys is asking for alsignment issues.

Yes, having assembled and disassembled these a million times by now, that is now my own preferred approach. I put the flanged plate screws all in halfway, align keys to case from the front and hold the plate in place with my fingers, flip the case/board around and then screw the plate in place. It's a bit of a delicate dance, but you only have to do it once and then you can enjoy the seamlessness (or realative seamlessness if you're into risers) for the rest of your use of the board. A fine trade-off, in my view. :)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:36:30 »
Congrats on the great review. Feels like keyboard history is being made.

Watch out Jacob Jensen, there is a new rising star in the field of industrial design.  :thumb:

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 17:55:01 »
Great case Ryan, I can't wait to get mine in tactical black! The red Topre keyset with Purple artisan keycap accents from the Massdrop/HotKeys Mito Laser group buy is going to look amazing!

As a note on the FC660C case: you would take it to 11/10, if you sold it with a Hasu controller specifically made for the case. USB C, perhaps? That would take it to a whole new level (plus USB C is just plain sexier than mini B) and add in programability, in one move. I am dreaming here, I know...

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 20:26:57 »
As long as we're making 660c wish lists, i would love a centered USB plug if that's possible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 20:34:28 by sodiumjoe »