Author Topic: Picking a new switch for my next keyboard.  (Read 5361 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
Picking a new switch for my next keyboard.
« on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 00:52:59 »
So I keep going back and forth between my favorite switch.  One week it will be Browns, the next Blues.  I've tried Blacks and Reds.  I REALLY don't like the Blacks, they're way too stiff, and the Reds are OK.... I guess.  I just don't think linear switches are for me.  The point of this thread is that I'm looking to get a new keyboard, and when I do I want to try a new switch.  Is there anything between a Brown and Blue switch?  I've read of Greens, but don't think I'd like them since they're stiffer than the blues.  the only other ones that I've heard of are whites, clears or ergo clears.

Does anyone have any experience with these switches, or know of a switch that I didn't mention that may fit my criteria.  Also, if you have any keyboard suggestions to go along with the switches, that would be great too.  I really want a high quality keyboard and I'm not afraid to spend some $$$.   

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Picking a new switch for my next keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 01:28:26 »
Time to try buckling spring  :P

Orrrrrrrr........ Matias Quiet Pro lol
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 01:31:15 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Polymer

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 01:37:00 »
If you don't mind the noise from blues what is keeping you from getting them?

I like browns but that is because I don't want the added noise from the blues....I wouldn't mind a slightly more defined bump from the browns but to be honest, I think it is fine..I wouldn't them requiring slightly more force either...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 03:02:31 »
If you think MX black is too hard to press, you have weak hands and therefor a weak handshake, causing people to question your character.  MX black will help you develop stronger hands and a more firm handshake; which will help people trust you more and make more money at your job. 

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 04:47:24 »

BITE. YOUR. TONGUE.
Matias Quiet Pro indeed... what does this look like, KEYBOARDS FOR GIRLYMEN?!
Buckling spring.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 05:55:37 »

I like browns but that is because I don't want the added noise from the blues....I wouldn't mind a slightly more defined bump from the browns but to be honest, I think it is fine..I wouldn't them requiring slightly more force either...

Ergo Clears would suit you for sure. Probably suit the OP too.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:10:31 »
I looked into the quiet pro, however I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a TKL keyboard.  I just have no need for the num pad.

As for my handshake....... its fine.  However, you are correct, blacks feel to me like a workout for your hands.  Not something I'm looking for in a keyboard. 

Any more keyboard ideas?   

Offline Amarok

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:13:15 »
I am kind of bouncing between two switches as well. Some days I love Blues, others Reds. I'd really like to find some clears so I can put the stems on my Poker and try ergo-clears.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline clakdale661

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 12:05:56 »
I got my first Filco a few weeks ago in MX Blue switches. Think most people that were introducced to these keyboards try MX blue switches because they were available to try in stores like Frys or Best Buy from the Razer black Widow. It's also the cononical "mechanical" feel because of the clicking sound and feel of the switches.

I absolutely love my mx blues.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 16:29:35 »

Ergo Clears would suit you for sure. Probably suit the OP too.

Yeah..I would probably want like a Super Ergo Clear but I'm waiting for someone to actually release it...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 16:46:27 »
Maybe you should buy this sampler kit from WASD keyboards. You could play with the switches for a few days and really decide on which one you like.

I personally love blues. They have a nice audible click and I really like the clicky-ness. It makes writing/typing reports really fun. I felt that browns were a quieter version of blues and that the click wasn't as pronounced. And the keys were slightly lighter when pressed. They're not bad at all, I just really like blues right now. Maybe my next board will have browns.

And for me? Reds and blacks are bad and I probably won't get a board with them.

Every other color such as greens and clears, I haven't tried so hopefully someone else can give you an opinion on that.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 16:59:37 »
If you think MX black is too hard to press, you have weak hands and therefor a weak handshake, causing people to question your character.  MX black will help you develop stronger hands and a more firm handshake; which will help people trust you more and make more money at your job.

/agree

In fact, I agree so hard that I recommend super blacks.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 00:40:14 »
Would those be the Spinal Tap switches?

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 08:06:52 »
Would those be the Spinal Tap switches?

Unfrotunately, no.  They actually exist.  http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Super_Black
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 09:42:59 »
150cN?!? Who would subject themselves to such tomfoolery?

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 10:00:08 »
maybe sixty? his fingers are steel anyways.
OT: what do colors of keyboards in users' signatures mean here?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 10:01:42 »
Depends on the user, for me it's the switch color... Likely to be the same for daerid for the Cherry switches, no idea on the topres.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 10:35:12 »
You could just make life easier and better by ignoring the rainbow of cherry and going with a big black plate, slightly translucent white hammers, and a long, narrow, steel spring.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 10:42:54 »

I don't think they were ever used for a full set.  Just for Function and Layer keys on old Cherry boards...keys that were intentionally hard to press.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 11:08:39 »
The Insert key is my least favorite key on a keyboard and would be the perfect spot for a Super Black.

Indeed.  That's pretty much what Cherry used them for back in the day -- keys you never want to press by accident.  I don't think they're made anymore though.

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 13:36:27 »
Hey man, sorry for posting in your thread  :-X

Does anybody know where can I get MX black springs?
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 13:38:49 »
I tried the 150cN Super Blacks at the Chicago gathering.  As a lover of Black switches it was just too much.

On the other hand, I got to try Grays and they were not bad at all!

The Insert key is my least favorite key on a keyboard and would be the perfect spot for a Super Black.
  Hey that is a great point!  Ever since I got my Rosewill I have somehow deactivated insert mode several times.  It really freaks me out to suddenly be in overstrike mode.  Something  I have not done in years.  I have no idea how it happened.  If I somehow accidentally pressed the key then that could be solved by installing a Super Black switch there or even just a Blue Switch.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 14:21:12 »

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html

EDIT:  Wait, you said spring, didn't you.  If you want whole switches, see above.  If not, ignore.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 14:27:24 »
I tried the 150cN Super Blacks at the Chicago gathering.  As a lover of Black switches it was just too much.

On the other hand, I got to try Grays and they were not bad at all!

Hey that is a great point!  Ever since I got my Rosewill I have somehow deactivated insert mode several times.  It really freaks me out to suddenly be in overstrike mode.  Something  I have not done in years.  I have no idea how it happened.  If I somehow accidentally pressed the key then that could be solved by installing a Super Black switch there or even just a Blue Switch.

Or you could just turn it off in word.  The steps are different in every version of word (of course), but for word 2010:

1. Cick the Office button
2. Click on Word Options
3. Click on Advanced
4. Uncheck "Use the Insert key to control overtype mode"
5. Uncheck "Use overtype mode"
6. Click "OK"
7. Profit (by not having to buy a superblack switch)

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 15:16:40 »

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html

EDIT:  Wait, you said spring, didn't you.  If you want whole switches, see above.  If not, ignore.

Yep I mean just the springs. But thanks for the link, good prices.  :)
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 15:46:47 »
  Hey that is a great point!  Ever since I got my Rosewill I have somehow deactivated insert mode several times.  It really freaks me out to suddenly be in overstrike mode.  Something  I have not done in years.  I have no idea how it happened.  If I somehow accidentally pressed the key then that could be solved by installing a Super Black switch there or even just a Blue Switch.[/quote]

Or you could just turn it off in word.  The steps are different in every version of word (of course), but for word 2010:

1. Cick the Office button
2. Click on Word Options
3. Click on Advanced
4. Uncheck "Use the Insert key to control overtype mode"
5. Uncheck "Use overtype mode"
6. Click "OK"
7. Profit (by not having to buy a superblack switch)
Its funny for that to be an "advanced" option.  :))

Thanx for the help but I almost never use Word.  Word bogs my computer down.  I use Wordpad to keep little lists of different things I have going on.  I know I should use a real editor but sometimes I'm lazy.  At least Wordpad works better than Notepad :)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 16:47:21 »
Thanx for the help but I almost never use Word.  Word bogs my computer down.  I use Wordpad to keep little lists of different things I have going on.  I know I should use a real editor but sometimes I'm lazy.  At least Wordpad works better than Notepad :)

You could always disable the insert key in the registry.  Make a couple of scripts to disable/enable it so you can turn it off when you're word processing, and turn it back on again after in case you need it in other applications?

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 17:03:20 »
What is really going to melt your brain is how one type of switch can feel and sound very different over a number of different keyboard brands.

1000000% true, absolutely hated blues in a new Rosewill I purchased (and immediately returned), but I absolutely love them in my Dolch keyboard from a PAC60. :)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 17:15:24 »
What is really going to melt your brain is how one type of switch can feel and sound very different over a number of different keyboard brands.

1000000% true, absolutely hated blues in a new Rosewill I purchased (and immediately returned), but I absolutely love them in my Dolch keyboard from a PAC60. :)

I've experienced this as well.  I love the blues on my Ducky, but hate them on the QFR.  Good Point!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 22:35:50 »

BITE. YOUR. TONGUE.
Matias Quiet Pro indeed... what does this look like, KEYBOARDS FOR GIRLYMEN?!
Buckling spring.

LOL fine then Matias Tactile Pro... ?  Though I think OP says he want tenkeyless so both Matias and Buckling Spring is out of the question.

I've experienced this as well.  I love the blues on my Ducky, but hate them on the QFR.  Good Point!

For me I like MX Brown on Das Keyboard (Costar) and somehow MX Brown on Filco didn't do much for me  ???

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 08:58:52 »

You could always disable the insert key in the registry.  Make a couple of scripts to disable/enable it so you can turn it off when you're word processing, and turn it back on again after in case you need it in other applications?
I hired WhiteFireDragon Industrial Keyboard Enterprises Unlimited to install a blue switch for the Insert key.  That way if I somehow accidentally press the insert key I will feel a radically different key and hear the silly click.  :)

I think most of my weird insert problems were caused by the fact that the connector was shorting out.  After some weeks my Rosewill was generating all sorts of wild keycodes that I never pressed.  Like the keyboard would sent out an ALTDOWN keycode (even though I never touched ALT) and then never send out an ALTUP keycode.  It did it with CTRL too.  My whole computer kept going totally berzerk and I didn't know what was going on for a while.  It also did it with the shift key to but that was more obvious.  Once I "repiared" my lame Rosewill keyboard all mysterious problems vanished.