Author Topic: Model M space saver club  (Read 394093 times)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Model M space saver club
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:09:31 »
So, exactly how much of a unicorn is the Industrial SSK? I've decided I want an SSK and I really like the look of the industrial one, but I'm afraid it might be a futile search.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:16:20 »
So, exactly how much of a unicorn is the Industrial SSK? I've decided I want an SSK and I really like the look of the industrial one, but I'm afraid it might be a futile search.

They're out there but it will probably be a long and expensive search. Apart from the couple of photos here I've never actually seen any others online.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline seredin

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:41:37 »
My question is how do I turn on/off the numpad functions? My computer seems to boot into the numpad sometimes. And for now I've been unplugging the re-plugging the board, but surely there's a key or combination to press to turn the numpad functions on or off...

Shift+scroll lock
THANK YOU!

(though, mine seems to sometimes swap to it on its own then. I've never hit shift+scroll lock before, but I have suddenly been typing numbers seemingly at random)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 09:52:30 »
My question is how do I turn on/off the numpad functions? My computer seems to boot into the numpad sometimes. And for now I've been unplugging the re-plugging the board, but surely there's a key or combination to press to turn the numpad functions on or off...

Shift+scroll lock
THANK YOU!

(though, mine seems to sometimes swap to it on its own then. I've never hit shift+scroll lock before, but I have suddenly been typing numbers seemingly at random)

Your scroll key is supposed to have NumLk on it, like the picture below...

Here's one :)

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline seredin

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 20:10:45 »
Ah, that makes sense. I replaced all the keys with the two-piece stems + caps from another board I had lying around. I like the feel of the two piece keys better, but the tkl-specific printings obviously weren't on the full sized keycaps. Thankee

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 21:20:29 »
My collection at one time had 4 SSKs. I've sold 3 of them, keeping one from 1987 with 2-piece keycaps.

48946-0
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:23:01 »
Here's mine :D

(I will get a better photo soon I promise)

It was in a bit of a sorry state when it arrived (a good 10 or 12 keys didn't work and it was fairly filthy) but a good bolt mod, clean and floss mod later (plus the addition of some RGB caps and a GH sticker to hide a little damage on the case) and it looks pretty darn good :D
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:26:46 »
Looks good!  Did you know you can remove that transparent film over the geekhack sticker? :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:30:25 »
I most certainly did not... :))

I have done now though!  Cheers dude!

Edit: You must have good eyes to see that chap - I can barely see it on my own pic and I know I'm looking for it!!!
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:57:33 »
...a better pic of my daily driver:
SSKs for everyone!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 14:13:51 »
Just for fun and to promote this club a bit.  :cool:

Mr. Friday on SSK - Last Sunlight

snoopy

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 17:30:43 »

Just saw remembered this thread

Really love this keyboard but I'm beginning to itch for something to slap on it, like an APL set from unicomp or a clack or something

BS clacks seem quite hard to find..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 05:19:53 »
Ah, such lovely pictures :)

I hope to join one day ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:43:10 »
Really love this keyboard but I'm beginning to itch for something to slap on it, like an APL set from unicomp or a clack or something

How about red/green/blue legends ?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58324.0

Wonder if they'll do a set with embedded numpad secondaries.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline allocerveau

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:14:45 »
I love every bit of this topic. That's my dream board, impossible to find here in France though.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:53:56 »
I love every bit of this topic. That's my dream board, impossible to find here in France though.

There's one for sale in the Classifieds right now, shipping from the UK...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 17:42:01 »

There's one for sale in the Classifieds right now, shipping from the UK...

If you are referring to Bunny's SSK, someone else is already apparently in negotiations to buy it! :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 17:53:55 »

I think I'm going to grab an APL set from their site

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:04:40 »

I think I'm going to grab an APL set from their site

does somebody have some good pics of the unicomp apl set?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:07:09 »
does somebody have some good pics of the unicomp apl set?

I heard some bad things about the printing quality, so I'm going to hold off.. but I think someone had an SSK (maybe moose) for sale in the classifieds with an APL set on it

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 15:49:13 »
I received this beauty today: it's the bottom one, a '91 vintage IBM 1391472 SSK, next to my other SSK, an Unicomp ISO layout UNI04C6.

67493-0

Sorry for the bad quality of the photo that doesn't do it justice.
It's got a precise and consistent feel through all the keys - really superb work of love by phosphorglow. This is #5 of a set of 6 SSK that were pretty badly beaten up and are now back to life. Really an amazing work!

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 16:07:54 »
Very nice! Congratz! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 01:44:25 »
I received this beauty today: it's the bottom one, a '91 vintage IBM 1391472 SSK, next to my other SSK, an Unicomp ISO layout UNI04C6.

(Attachment Link)

Sorry for the bad quality of the photo that doesn't do it justice.
It's got a precise and consistent feel through all the keys - really superb work of love by phosphorglow. This is #5 of a set of 6 SSK that were pretty badly beaten up and are now back to life. Really an amazing work!

Were those the ones with the coloured backplates, or am I thinking of something else?

Nice either way :)

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 03:13:50 »
Were those the ones with the coloured backplates, or am I thinking of something else?

Right, it's the red one: http://phosphorglow.net/2014/05/21/grungy-rusted-and-broken-ssk-no-5-december-4th-1991/

There were 4 of them left when I ordered it, and phosphorglow suggested this one considering my preferences and style of typing...
I have to say he totally nailed it, the more I type on it, the more I love it. I'm not new to Model M's (I have 5 more) but this is definitely the best overall.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 03:37:03 »
I also wanted to get one from phoshorglow, as i looked on his page there were already 4 sold. Really fast! I was not sure about shipping from the US to Europe, since this keyboards must be heavy bastards!

Luckily i found and bought another SSK here, which will arrive today i hope!
*looking on the parcel tracking details again*
... ...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 05:50:39 »

Right, it's the red one: http://phosphorglow.net/2014/05/21/grungy-rusted-and-broken-ssk-no-5-december-4th-1991/

There were 4 of them left when I ordered it, and phosphorglow suggested this one considering my preferences and style of typing...
I have to say he totally nailed it, the more I type on it, the more I love it. I'm not new to Model M's (I have 5 more) but this is definitely the best overall.

Nice one! :)

I really liked the yellow one, but shipping to Australia would have killed that idea before it started.

Offline newchemicals

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 01:15:57 »
I was able to get one of the SSKs from phosphorglow. Amazing transformation from scrap heap to probably better than new from the factory. Each ping made from the keys seem well tuned and every spring on every key feels like new.

Offline YongJK

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 15:08:45 »
Got mine 2 months ago.
Been using this since few days ago.

Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:46:22 »
just received a couple days ago-- thanks calavera!

can anybody tell me abt these caps?

f1 also has "SignOn", misc function keys..........Menu, AcctAct, AccBal, Cal Sub, Total, Exit and so on.........?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 20:41:17 »
Interesting. Can you post a second shot that shows what's printed on the front of the keycaps?

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 20:47:52 »
Nice boards guys! I haven't seen those red legends before, but the keycaps look like they are in really good shape (no shine.)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline silas1128

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 21:34:40 »
I just posted this in keyboards, but I'll post it here anyway.

So my father does some electronics recycling on the side and a while back he was given a box of old keyboard, all junk, or so I thought. I pawed through them and found a model m. I knew they were kind of popular and checked eBay real quick for "IBM Model M". I saw them going for like $50 and thought "oh, cool. I'll set that aside".

Move forward a few months to a couple days ago and I decided to look a bit more and did an eBay search on "IBM 1391472". There was nothing. So I checked completed listing and couldn't believe it. The lowest one had sold for was $215!

Now I can't make up my mind... Sell it and pay rent, or rock it? I have a black widow ultimate with mx cherry blue switches and I am completely satisfied with it. But I still think I am at least going to have phosphorglow refurb it. I'm thinking just some RGB keys, maybe a panic button (I know, real original...). Then I'll either rock it, it sell it, but it's an investment either way. Now on to some pictures! (nothing too pretty though)

Offline silas1128

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:13:53 »
Mine just left on a trip to phosphorglow's for a full reconditioning/bolt mod/LED mod... Cant wait!!!!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:35:29 »
Mine just left on a trip to phosphorglow's for a full reconditioning/bolt mod/LED mod... Cant wait!!!!!!!

What LED mod are you getting done?

Offline silas1128

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:30:08 »
The SSK has caps lock and num lock LED functionality, just no LEDs. He mods in the LEDs under the key caps of the num lock and caps lock that actually function.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:48:55 »

This is my '91 SSK that was fully restored by Maxx at phosphorglow.net. He really worked his magic on this one. Here's the link to the full restoration to give you an idea of the magnitude of the transformation: http://phosphorglow.net/2014/05/21/grungy-rusted-and-broken-ssk-no-2-april-10th-1991/
He even painted the barrel plate purple while he was at it!
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 15:28:49 »
Maxx does awesome work.   I got my plate painted raspberry.   And UV LEDs added.  Too cool!! 

Offline silas1128

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:33:22 »
Maxx does awesome work.   I got my plate painted raspberry.   And UV LEDs added.  Too cool!!

How do you like the LEDs? I thought it was an awesome idea. I told him to go with the greens because I thought it suited the board (as most keyboards, specially old ones, used green indicator LEDs). He wont even have my board in his hands for a few days, so I may change my mind, but I think I'll stay with the greens.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:34:57 »

How do you like the LEDs? I thought it was an awesome idea. I told him to go with the greens because I thought it suited the board (as most keyboards, specially old ones, used green indicator LEDs). He wont even have my board in his hands for a few days, so I may change my mind, but I think I'll stay with the greens.

Go with whatever color you like.   I asked for Red LEDs on another one that he's working on right now.   

Offline silas1128

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 17:18:29 »

Go with whatever color you like.   I asked for Red LEDs on another one that he's working on right now.

So you must have liked it if you are having him do it on another? What was his turn around time? I'm in no hurry, just curious of what to expect.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:03:15 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is my '91 SSK that was fully restored by Maxx at phosphorglow.net. He really worked his magic on this one. Here's the link to the full restoration to give you an idea of the magnitude of the transformation: http://phosphorglow.net/2014/05/21/grungy-rusted-and-broken-ssk-no-2-april-10th-1991/

That's an absolutely amazing restoration!

So many people would have just thrown a keyboard like that out, but no, this one was restored, with stunning results!

And now it will likely last for another 20+ years!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:12:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So many people would have just thrown a keyboard like that out, but no, this one was restored, with stunning results!

I was absolutely blown away by the transformation! Maxx sent me some before pictures while he was in the process of restoring it and they had me a little worried if it would turn out or not. It's like a brand new board now though! Completely flawless! He even had to get new circuit membranes printed for this batch of SSKs. He said that they were by far the worst he's restored but that didn't stop him!
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:30:17 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I was absolutely blown away by the transformation! Maxx sent me some before pictures while he was in the process of restoring it and they had me a little worried if it would turn out or not. It's like a brand new board now though! Completely flawless! He even had to get new circuit membranes printed for this batch of SSKs. He said that they were by far the worst he's restored but that didn't stop him!

Just those loose rusty springs rattling around inside the case would be enough to put most people off (me included!)

Do you mind if I ask what the restoration cost?  Not an exact figure, if you'f prefer not to tell, just a vague idea - $100, $200?

Offline silas1128

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:43:20 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Just those loose rusty springs rattling around inside the case would be enough to put most people off (me included!)

Do you mind if I ask what the restoration cost?  Not an exact figure, if you'f prefer not to tell, just a vague idea - $100, $200?

He has his rates on his site. I don't know if he charged him any more. But he offer the restore service for $55 Which I think is VERY reasonable if you see his work and watch that youtube video showing a time lapse of a restoration. Its an extra $15 I think to paint the board and $25 for the LED mod. But it may have been extra for him considering the extent of the restoration.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:44:12 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I bought the fully restored keyboard from Maxx for $250 (I didn't supply the original keyboard, Maxx got this one and five others from a recycler all in this terrible condition). For the amount of work he put into it I think the price was extremely reasonable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:02:00 »
Whoa!  Fantastic prices!  Many SSK in nowhere near as good condition as that sell for more on a certain auction site.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:44:46 »
amazing.............that is quite incredible :eek:

as we used to say........'ol boy got skills :cool:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline silas1128

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:02:52 »
Here it is from Maxx! Full bolt mod and LED mod.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:56:54 »
Here it is from Maxx! Full bolt mod and LED mod.

Like new!

Seriously like new :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 09:02:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Purple Plate! Oh man, Im wishing I got a board from him in the past when I was talking to him.. Beautiful work!