Author Topic: Vortex PBT Double Shot Keycap Review  (Read 31723 times)

Offline Txduck

Vortex PBT Double Shot Keycap Review
« on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:29:54 »
I just received my order for a 104 set of Vortex PBT Double Shot keycaps from MechanicalKeyboards.com, so here are a few photos and my initial impression and observations of the product.
Since this was my first keycap upgrade, I was anxious to compare them to my Ducky OEM caps, so I used that comparison as the format for the review.

For starters, I ordered the black set, but there are several bi-colored sets available as well, white combined with blue, green, pink, orange, or red.

The first big difference was texture.

My ABS caps are smooth and shiny and they reflect a lot of glare from my desk lamp. The new Vortex caps are very well textured which reduces that glare considerably. Textured is definitely the way to go.
That, plus I just like the feel of the textured caps better.
You can see the texture on the single keycap photo.

The second big difference was build quality.

As soon as you look at the underside of these caps you instantly notice the thickness of the plastic compared to normal ABS caps. My Ducky’s are pretty decent caps for ABS, but against these PBT double shots there’s no comparison. I didn’t have the means of measuring, but the Vortex caps appear to be nearly twice as thick as my Ducky’s. You can see the difference in the two caps side by side in the attached photo.

The third big difference was sound

First I replaced a few of the caps on my keyboard with the new caps.
I’m using o-rings on my board, and I wanted to compare the two types both with and without o-rings.
After setting a few keys up both ways, I started tapping and typing. Right away you can clearly tell the difference in quality by the sound. Without the o-rings, the PBTs have a distinctly deeper sounding click when they bottom out, whereas the ABS produces a higher pitched sound.

Even with the o-rings, the difference was still there. The difference wasn’t as pronounced because the o-rings dampen the sound, but the thicker PBT’s still produce a deeper sound, and personally I prefer that over the higher pitched click of the thinner ABS caps.

All pros except for one con.

In the single keycap photo of the “J” key, look closely at the “J”.
It’s very slightly off center to the left. Of course the photo is larger than the real thing so it looks worse in the photo than it does on the keyboard. In fact, on the keyboard you almost have to be really looking for it to see it.
So upon closer inspection I found 3 keys like that, the Z, J, and L. The L is slightly to the right.

After seeing this, out of curiosity I started looking closely at my OEM Ducky keyboard and lo and behold, I found an “R” key that did the very same thing and I had never noticed it before, so obviously this slight error is not limited to Vortex. Nevertheless it would still be nice if Vortex corrected the problem for future production runs.
 To me it’s so slight that it’s negligible, but if you’re particularly sensitive to the small details, you’ll have to make that call yourself.

Overall

I’m happy with the purchase, and I like this keycap set.
The black set cost $59 (bi-colored sets are $69). Delivery only cost me $4.50 for domestic 3 day delivery to Tx, and the order was handled and delivered promptly as expected.
All keys installed easily and the fit was perfect with no problems. After testing, I installed o-rings on all keys and it types like a dream.
I’m thoroughly  pleased with my keycap upgrade.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 03:13:21 by Txduck »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Vortex PBT Double Shot Keycap Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 06:08:36 »
Thanks for the write up!

I've always said I don't care for PBT caps but I do want to try these. :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:12:32 »
Very interesting. Thank you so much for the review. I wonder if you have a vintage cherry double shot set that you may compare with this one. Maybe some pictures comparing one cap of each set may allow us to figure the differences. Thank you again.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:38:40 »
A very nice review. Thanks.

Is the white insert perfectly flush on every key? Can you feel any of them differently?
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:45:35 »
Very interesting. Thank you so much for the review. I wonder if you have a vintage cherry double shot set that you may compare with this one. Maybe some pictures comparing one cap of each set may allow us to figure the differences. Thank you again.

He said this was his first keycap upgrade.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:32:23 »
Interesting.

I don't think I would have noticed the off-centre legends.

Although I did just notice that the backslash is too far to the right compared to the vertical bar.

And the menu key as an icon whereas the other modifiers have text.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 20:47:21 »

Here are some shots from the End cap of the same Vortex set and a Cherry GMK set. Molding is not as precise as GMK (may be because of the materials, PBT vs. ABS). I just don't like the OEM profile, way higher than Cherry :/ Also it looks like the GMK caps have a slightly bigger footprint, haven't measured it tho.

Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 20:53:39 »
OP could you show a picture of the board with them on it?

Thanks for the review btw.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:28:35 »
A very nice review. Thanks.

Is the white insert perfectly flush on every key? Can you feel any of them differently?

Yes, they are perfectly flush. You can't see or feel any difference except that the key is textured but the letters are not.

Ideus I'd help you if I could, but this is the only set I have other than OEM's. Sorry.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:38:52 by Txduck »

Offline Txduck

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 00:03:12 »
OP could you show a picture of the board with them on it?

Thanks for the review btw.

I have a Ducky 9008 Shine Gold Edition so it's backlit. I forfeited the backlighting for the sake of the premium keycaps, but you may notice I've kept a few Ducky keycaps over by the number pad because they have legends related to the keyboard's software.
Also I kept the Ducky Caps lock key because it lights up if you accidentally activate the Caps lock, which I thought was a good idea.
And I kept the Ducky emblem keys for "Windows" keys just because they look cool!  ;D
The rest of it is all Vortex.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 04:34:29 by Txduck »

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:02:30 »
damn, for a guy wit 28 post, you have some nice hardware!

thanks for putting up the review so quickly.  much appreciated
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:49:03 »
Could you try taking a picture in the dark? I'm curious how the combination of caps looks when the backlight is more vivid. Looks pretty good so far though!
;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 02:49:18 »
I don't like the vertical top alignment.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 04:57:06 »
damn, for a guy wit 28 post, you have some nice hardware!

thanks for putting up the review so quickly.  much appreciated

Thanks tbc. GH is a great source of information, with knowledgeable people. It's a great forum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:30:29 by Txduck »

Offline Txduck

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:01:04 »
Could you try taking a picture in the dark? I'm curious how the combination of caps looks when the backlight is more vivid. Looks pretty good so far though!

LOL  Dark pictures are not easy, did the best I could RESPRiT.  :))

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:07:04 by Txduck »

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:49:45 »
The stem seems a bit large.

Have you felt proper resistance while putting them on?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:16:06 »
Yeah I'm not into it either, thanks for the pics OP!

Offline Txduck

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 20:37:35 »

What is "vertical top alignment"??

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 20:44:22 »

Here are some shots from the End cap of the same Vortex set and a Cherry GMK set. Molding is not as precise as GMK (may be because of the materials, PBT vs. ABS). I just don't like the OEM profile, way higher than Cherry :/ Also it looks like the GMK caps have a slightly bigger footprint, haven't measured it tho.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

I do not like the height of OEM key caps, neither the legends so near the top edge of the cap. It looks weird.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:15:24 »

Legends aligned with the top of the keycap's upper surface, as many backlit keyboards do due to the LED placement, as opposed to the bottom half.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Txduck

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 22:41:25 »

Legends aligned with the top of the keycap's upper surface, as many backlit keyboards do due to the LED placement, as opposed to the bottom half.

Got it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 March 2014, 22:43:34 by Txduck »

Offline Txduck

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 18:00:30 »

Sorry it took so long to answer, but I never quite understood the question till now. I read your post again and it finally dawned on me what you were referring to, so I had to take a closer look at the caps for the answer.

The slots in the PBT's stems at 1st glance appear to have a wider opening, but it's not really. The inside edges of the slots are slightly beveled to help guide the key cap and align correctly with the switch when you put it on. The Ducky OEM caps are not beveled like that so that's why they look different.
The caps fit perfectly.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 18:05:58 by Txduck »

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 03:58:00 »

Sorry it took so long to answer, but I never quite understood the question till now. I read your post again and it finally dawned on me what you were referring to, so I had to take a closer look at the caps for the answer.

The slots in the PBT's stems at 1st glance appear to have a wider opening, but it's not really. The inside edges of the slots are slightly beveled to help guide the key cap and align correctly with the switch when you put it on. The Ducky OEM caps are not beveled like that so that's why they look different.
The caps fit perfectly.  :thumb:

Thank you.
I'm interested in these and I've experienced all sorts of caps till now... from impossible to use to almost falling off :)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 13:36:29 »
damn, those seem so thick! i wish i could get those PBTs with the font and legend-placement used on the pure pro.

i've been thinking about a getting another keyboard but i have this curse where i think almost all fonts are incredibly ugly. maybe i should just get blanks for my next one.. i presume those PBTs are available without legends? i hope..? :D

nice review, by the way. thanks :j
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:17:08 »
Thanks for the great review. I purchased the Blue/White combo as my first and last keycap upgrade. From here on out, only novelty 'caps for me. I completely agree with all your points regarding these keycaps. To me, the most prominent feature is the XXL F-row. Still awesome!!!

Review Execution +1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:21:27 »
Vey interested in this, but I got 2 keyboards that a lot of caps wont work on...ill make my work pay, being an IT Manager has its perks.

Still looking for double shot PBT poker II keycaps in white/blue.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 19:16:19 »
Can you believe that when I put SA on my keyboard, that I actually preferred these caps? For some reason SA made MX clears feel heavier, while these made it feel more tactile and also lighter. (And since now I'm typing on my laptop keyboard for the first time in a long time, I must say I have started to appreciate the lightness of the scissors switches. I really need to mod my mx clears... or get topre)

Offline Urbi

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:42:55 »
They are looking good.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 13:02:30 »
I have tried many, many sets of PBT keycaps, and this Vortex DS set is always the one I come back to, even over the PBT/POM backlight set (which is a shame, since the POM set is almost half the price).

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 05:32:12 »
I have tried many, many sets of PBT keycaps, and this Vortex DS set is always the one I come back to, even over the PBT/POM backlight set (which is a shame, since the POM set is almost half the price).

?! Do you have a spare enter key for that set? I am missing the enter for mine :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:53:27 »
?! Do you have a spare enter key for that set? I am missing the enter for mine :(

Unfortunately, no. Both sets are currently in use. Sorry!

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 13:07:07 »

Unfortunately, no. Both sets are currently in use. Sorry!

Ah, I see. Good thing they get love :)