Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nines (GB IS LIVE!)  (Read 94075 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] GMK N9-U9 (Name TBD)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:43:48 »
The more I look at, the more I like the render in OP.  I like the medium contrast of U9 on N9.  Looking forward to seeing this set move forward.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 11:46:43 »
I like this set! A clean alteration on WoB which is my favourite set, and calling it GMK "The Nine" or "99" sounds cool  :cool:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 14:14:07 »
Thank you everyone for the feedback so far!

As for icon bottom row, I feel the set stays more classy and timeless with it being text for now - I will be open for feedback though!

As for accents, that idea did cross my mind, but at the same time it feels like there are a lot of compatible options as U9 is so popular - 9009 or any other classic colorway.
Show Image

N9 left, U9 right. It might not be coupled with N9, but still CR is pretty close if it's legends (N9 can look like CR depending on lighting). I will keep it in mind though and perhaps offer an accent kit or include in the base (depending on quote from GMK)

As for the reverse color way, hmm...

Have you considered doing U9 alphas and N9 mods?

I did, but I decided for a uniform set. It might have accents for Enter and Esc, though. I will consider it!

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 14:16:43 »
I suggest to leave the name as it is. GMK N9-U9. Its perfect imo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 14:18:22 by T0mb3ry »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 14:56:11 »
Maybe just my eyes. This and GMK Achromatic use the same hue of black/gray or na?

212738-0

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 15:34:12 »

As for icon bottom row, I feel the set stays more classy and timeless with it being text for now - I will be open for feedback though!

As for accents, that idea did cross my mind, but at the same time it feels like there are a lot of compatible options as U9 is so popular - 9009 or any other classic colorway.
Show Image

N9 left, U9 right. It might not be coupled with N9, but still CR is pretty close if it's legends (N9 can look like CR depending on lighting). I will keep it in mind though and perhaps offer an accent kit or include in the base (depending on quote from GMK)

I did, but I decided for a uniform set. It might have accents for Enter and Esc, though. I will consider it!

In that case I'm out for this one. If you do a light-alpha/dark-mode one, you have my purchase. I really wanted Carbon Umka to happen...
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 15:58:06 »
I think that n9 is too close to black in most lightning conditions. Just look at the q01 set by uniquey. Is join if the colour was like 2B.

About the numpad 5, I'd remove the nipple and add the homing bar.

This is your N9 gray. Too dark for me... Almost black.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

So I have GMK Q:01 and Kekkon dolch on my drak grey no.1 which is N9/L9/CP. Photo kinda sucks, but you get the idea.

Show Image

This looks great! Makes me regret not getting Carbon Bone now

As for color, I don't think N9 is too close to black. If you compare GMK Terminal next to WoB there is a pretty big difference (and why I'm not a big fan of terminal despite black / green being my two of my favorite colors together)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 16:00:27 »

Show Image

In that case I'm out for this one. If you do a light-alpha/dark-mode one, you have my purchase. I really wanted Carbon Umka to happen...

Can't please everyone, sorry man. :/

Well at this point it's fairly obvious the name should have a 9(nine) somehow involved, I like GMK 99, GMK Nine, GMK N9-U9 (lol), GMK Nines...

Offline saturnattack

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:02:25 »
Oooo, always wanted a light text on all gray set.  So many gray keys with black text out there! 

While it is not as light as I hoped I would still buy.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:20:20 »
gmk noir

10/10 set would cop if price is right. Which is should since its normie colours + simple compat.

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 06:03:47 »
GMK Renders are in:
No ISO-UK:

w. ISO-UK:

Waiting for quotes, will update once I have calculated the price with mykeyboard.eu after receiving the quote. I can tell you that there won't be large margins, so this set will be pretty close to as cheap it can be!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 06:52:43 »
GMK Renders are in:
No ISO-UK:
Show Image

w. ISO-UK:
Show Image

Waiting for quotes, will update once I have calculated the price with mykeyboard.eu after receiving the quote. I can tell you that there won't be large margins, so this set will be pretty close to as cheap it can be!

Love it. a 1.25u fn key, no purse caps lock, no weird num lock icon and nothing extra except the basic compatibility. Let's get this in GB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 07:35:29 by wholypantalones »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 07:08:36 »
GMK Renders are in:
No ISO-UK:
Show Image

w. ISO-UK:
Show Image

Love it. a 1.5u fn key, no purse caps lock, no weird num lock icon and nothing extra except the basic compatibility. Let's get this in GB.

Thank you for the kinds words! There's no 1.5u Fn-key, though. :O

Offline wholypantalones

Re: [IC] GMK N9-U9 (Added GMK Renders, waiting for quotes)
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 07:35:04 »
Ah. I meant 1.25.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 03:26:09 »
Well OK, I am at a point where I need feedback.

I realized I am missing one key in the "non ISO-UK" basekit for supporting ISO.

So, the alternative to the cheapest ISO support is probably ISO-US, which means adding one pipe and backslash 1u key next to enter, and changing the iso key next to left shift to ~. This layout is probably not used by anyone, and some argue the kit is better off without ISO support altogether if that is the alternative.

On the other hand, I have a quote out for ISO-UK that has one key different - which can be changed but will mean a more expensive base kit due to more keys for full ISO-UK.

What do you think? Should I make a base kit with the cheapest ISO-support (ISO-US), or offer ISO-UK in the basekit, or remove ISO altogether?

I really need some feedback on this. Thank you!

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 03:34:55 »
To me it makes the most sense to either support a more used ISO (ISO-UK is probably the best balanced between cost and popularity, though if someone has numbers that'd be cool to see) or not support ISO at all.

Good luck with this set by the way  :)

Offline p1xelHer0

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 04:22:19 »
ISO-UK seems to be the most used ISO? i think adding ISO-UK or no ISO-support at all seems to be the best choice. I assume most ISO-users are used to not getting their Nordic/German/whatever ISO - having UK at least allows them to put keycaps on their boards while keeping down the price compared to even wider ISO-support.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 05:38:40 »
Well, if people just want ISO and are used to legends being wrong, then ISO-US is the cheapest option (2 keys only). ISO UK is 6 keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 05:45:58 by Emir »

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 06:38:40 »
Well, if people just want ISO and are used to legends being wrong, then ISO-US is the cheapest option (2 keys only). ISO UK is 6 keys.

6 keys?
Legends are all wrong anyway.

Just add 4 keys:
  • 1.25 shift and 1u R4 key (<>)
  • 1u R3 key (# key)
  • Iso Enter

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 13:34:44 »
My friends tell me, a 1u key is about 1 euro, so these 6 extra keys will add maybe 10 euro to the basekit pricing. I will look at quotes before deciding, but I guess it's ISO-UK or nothing for the majority of you, huh.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:25:22 »
My friends tell me, a 1u key is about 1 euro, so these 6 extra keys will add maybe 10 euro to the basekit pricing. I will look at quotes before deciding, but I guess it's ISO-UK or nothing for the majority of you, huh.

Poll time. ISO-UK or nah.

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:40:03 »
Well OK, I am at a point where I need feedback.

I realized I am missing one key in the "non ISO-UK" basekit for supporting ISO.

So, the alternative to the cheapest ISO support is probably ISO-US, which means adding one pipe and backslash 1u key next to enter, and changing the iso key next to left shift to ~. This layout is probably not used by anyone, and some argue the kit is better off without ISO support altogether if that is the alternative.

On the other hand, I have a quote out for ISO-UK that has one key different - which can be changed but will mean a more expensive base kit due to more keys for full ISO-UK.

What do you think? Should I make a base kit with the cheapest ISO-support (ISO-US), or offer ISO-UK in the basekit, or remove ISO altogether?

I really need some feedback on this. Thank you!

I vote no ISO

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:11:03 »
My personal opinion is that ISO-UK (and NORDE variations etc) are never going to be worth the money. I split left shift a ton on my boards because I hate having a stab there when I can just not with the 1.25 + 1u "ISO" configuration, I also go with ISO return on the occasional build for aesthetic purposes but the legends being off is the niche of a niche and completely useless/redundant. The numbers have proven this time and time again, I'm glad people are finally starting to make adjustment to GMK base kits in concordance.

If it seems hypocritical to not include ISO-UK then just remove ISO altogether but I think 2 keys for potentially every single split l shift/ISO return user out there is actually worth it.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:29:26 »
Nine Nine! 👨‍✈️👩‍✈️

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 22:34:37 »
My view is support ISO, but not uk (and I say this as a UK user). Just remove the three uk specific keys, and keep the 1.25u shift, the 1u r4 pipe, the iso enter and the 1u row 3 #~ key.

This removes three keys, still keeps ISO support and allows others to split left shift as needed. GMK minimal has this exact combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline typischt

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 00:41:21 »
My view is support ISO, but not uk (and I say this as a UK user). Just remove the three uk specific keys, and keep the 1.25u shift, the 1u r4 pipe, the iso enter and the 1u row 3 #~ key.

This removes three keys, still keeps ISO support and allows others to split left shift as needed. GMK minimal has this exact combo.

Yes, totally see it the same way as Jae!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 03:57:42 »

Yes, I agree. I rather remove ISO than raise the price for like 5% of the purchase base. In this case, to me it feels better to offer the necessary 4 ISO-keys (Enter, short lshift, and the 2 iso keys) in a real layout than half. In that case, ISO-US would be the best option - even if many don't use it in real life by own choice, it will still make the most sense if you just want to put it on an ISO board. R4 Pipe and R3 #~ are from ISO-UK, so I would change these to ISO-US ones to complete the layout. If all other legends are wrong for ISO-UK anyway, then I personally feel ISO-US makes more sense as in the legends across the board will be correct and aligned with each other.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 10:32:58 »
It might be helpful for future renders to have a black reference point. I know that N9 is dark grey not black, but it's a little hard to tell in the renders so far.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 14:04:07 »
ISO requires 4 keys, that's 2.5 USD maximum. There are much more obscure layouts supported. This is just a cultural battle, a metaphorical trumpian wall against different layouts  :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 14:05:39 by _GMK_ »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 14:15:00 »
These are the ISO keys i will be adding, to me it makes more sense than a less than half UK alternative, or double pipeslash as some other sets use:

(pulled from wikipedia)
Aesthetically more pleasing than having half a layout of something else IMO, and since this is basically the only way to have a correct layout with as few keys as possible, it's OK IMO.

I have also ordered some professional renders, I will update ASAP! :)

Offline megaforce

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 11:03:51 »
wow imagine still building keyboards with iso layout in 2019
More
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 11:42:51 »
ISO requires 4 keys, that's 2.5 USD maximum. There are much more obscure layouts supported. This is just a cultural battle, a metaphorical trumpian wall against different layouts  :eek:

Make ISO great again.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 11:51:03 »

Make ISO great again.

Should include a 10U spacebar in every ISO kit that just says The Wall on it.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [IC] GMK Nines (BIG RENDER UPDATE!)
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:24:21 »
Added renders by Oblotzky, also realized I did not have both scooped and barred Num-5, so that has been added.

I personally love the renders, looks very classy and sophisticated!

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:35:21 »
Added renders by Oblotzky, also realized I did not have both scooped and barred Num-5, so that has been added.

I personally love the renders, looks very classy and sophisticated!
Agree, I'm down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:37:28 »
I didn't have a clear opinion about this set. It seemed nice and familiar. But then I rediscovered a forgotten pok3r keyboard which used exactly this colorscheme. And then suddenly I'm not sure if I like it or not  :))
Well, as an afterthought this gmk set should be way darker, since the renderings in the first post are completely wrong.

213323-0

213325-1

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:39:27 »
I didn't have a clear opinion about this set. It seemed nice and familiar. But then I rediscovered a forgotten pok3r keyboard which used exactly this colorscheme. And then suddenly I'm not sure if I like it or not  :))
Well, as an afterthought this gmk set should be way darker, since the renderings in the first post are completely wrong.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

A pok3r keyset could be in any colorway and it'd still look bad to me. ;)

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:12:34 »
Not to mention that doesn't really look like the same colourway to me. Text looks a lot more yellow.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:39:33 »
Like icons.
When will the GB start?
I’m in.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:49:46 »
Just got the quotes from GMK. I will calculate together with mykeyboard to see what the cost could look like.

I will also reach out to US and Asian proxies.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 12:34:56 »
hell yeah brother HH
More

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 15:34:45 »
This might be my first GMK set.  Modernist feel without caricaturing it. V tasteful imo

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 15:35:42 »
Name is

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 19:30:29 »
Good progress on this, renders look superb I like the "mellow" contrast of it.

But one question, where the 5 nipple???  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline AaronR

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 19:41:43 »
Can you reach out to dailyclack to proxy for Australia?

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:26:56 »
Just got the quotes from GMK. I will calculate together with mykeyboard to see what the cost could look like.

I will also reach out to US and Asian proxies.
Great progress.
Thanks for the inform.
Ready to buy when GB starts.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:35:37 »
The renders look great!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 04:05:23 »
juice me boss

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 05:27:20 »
Hi Everyone, update:

Mykeyboard.eu is confirmed, pricing will be this (or similar!):
MOQ 150: 129 Euro
MOQ 250: 119 Euro
MOQ 500: 109 Euro

109 Euro for this base kit is very reasonable and good, IMO. At MOQ 150, it's a bit more expensive than I hoped - but nothing is final yet and I will try to get it lower. If I am being realistic, I do really believe at least MOQ 250 should be very possible, 119 euro is OK in my opinion (comparing to other GMK sets out there with similar compat).

I am also in talks with Wei from KBDFans, but it's a bit difficult due to high chinese tariffs (explains why zFrontier is always more expensive...) and some US proxies too.

I will keep everyone up to date!

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 06:47:09 »
Damn good pricing! Well played Emir and mykeyboard.

I'm definitely in!