Author Topic: Clickclacks  (Read 21711 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Clickclacks
« on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:57:47 »
Hey I am wondering if elitekeyboard is still selling it or clack factory still making it, it has been nearly a year since the last batch of new click clacks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2013, 05:12:50 by terran5992 »

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: Clickclacks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:59:06 »
Hey I am wondering if elitekeyboard is still selling it or clack factory still making it, it has been nearly a year since the last batch of new click clacks.

It's not been a year. They sold some in November.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:59:36 »
I assume it is really up to CC himself if they will sell more.  And it has been only a couple months since the last sale.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 23:00:47 »
Really ? Oh lol , I saw the last update on EK was on march 7 2012

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 04:24:06 »
Also waiting for this, but in no hurry.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 06:11:27 »
Really ? Oh lol , I saw the last update on EK was on march 7 2012

The Oktoberfest and Candy Corn sale happened right around when I joined in like December 2012.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 07:18:40 »
There will be another one soon enough :)

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 09:18:42 »

Awesome, because I'm really behind everyone.  :eek:
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline grodo.00

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 09:54:11 »

The Oktoberfest and Candy Corn sale happened right around when I joined in like December 2012.

I wish i could get my hands on a Candy Corn and some Cacks!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 10:16:51 »

Awesome, because I'm really behind everyone.  :o

They are only popular because they are so rare, try not to get sucked in!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 20:46:55 »

Says the guy selling them for $80+  :p

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:18:39 »
Click Clack is a genius. These things are so photogenic... and any self-respecting keyboard geek would jump at the chance to have something so cool. I am always trying to think of a cool design to get in on this awesome hobby.. The ID guy at work explained to me how easy it is to get into molding and resin casts, etc
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline shawn o

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:26:56 »
I think they are ugly and have passed at many chances  to have one/many. Seriously, a skull? What are you, 12 years old?

I consider vintage keycaps to be much more valuable...

Just my opinion.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:39:22 »
I think they are ugly and have passed at many chances  to have one/many. Seriously, a skull? What are you, 12 years old?

Just my opinion.

Opinions are like keyboards, everyone's got one, and nobody cares what you think.

Just my opinion.
Looking for CC's!

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 00:43:58 »
Ah, the weekly ClickClack thread.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 02:12:23 »

Just my opinion.
See, I don't care about the skull part, I just like all the pretty colors they come in. The value for me is in eye catching unique hues, not the rarity (although in some cases the two overlap, like the turquoise and indigo.) That's why I never really cared for the tricolors.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2013, 02:15:31 by noisyturtle »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 02:16:31 »
On par with all the other cheap/budget handmade and/or hand painted/dipped caps floating around lately.

Nothing more..

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 03:40:29 »

Just my opinion.

I think they are old and have passed at many chances  to have one/many. Seriously, a "vintage" keycap? What are you, a senior citizen?

I consider shiny new custom keycaps to be much more valuable...

Just my opinion.

(Not actually my opinion)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 03:50:21 »

Says the guy selling them for $80+  :p

Just trying to get back some part of what I paid for them!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 03:52:05 »
The quality of the caps can't be argued. If you've ever used a CC WASD or arrow set they feel noticeably thicker, more solid, and tighter than even other thick PBT's. If he ever used his blank molds to make an entire set it really would be a step up and I truly believe even the snootiest connoisseur would do a double take.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 06:49:14 »
The quality of the caps can't be argued. If you've ever used a CC WASD or arrow set

So, if you're one of three, maybe four people who are lucky enough...

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:06:11 »
Just wondering: Since each CC cap is unique, is there some sort of database with a list and pictures of every cap ever created and sold?

I would love to look back through the history of these caps as I have just recently become aware of their existence.

Thanks

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:07:16 »
Just wondering: Since each CC cap is unique, is there some sort of database with a list and pictures of every cap ever created and sold?

I would love to look back through the history of these caps as I have just recently become aware of their existence.

Thanks

No
Looking for CC's!

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:12:37 »

Thanks

No

Look what I just found...
http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Click_Clack

I have seen others that are not on this list though so maybe this is outdated.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Clickclacks
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:14:38 »

Thanks

No

That wiki is not outdated...:( I just need more pictures... its also linked in my signature.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Re: Re: Clickclacks
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:18:31 »

Thanks

No

That wiki is not outdated...:( I just need more pictures... its also linked in my signature.

I am sorry Smallfry, I was not trying to imply that this wiki page was outdated if you are the one maintaining it. And now I can see that you are working to gather more photos of different CC caps.

Keep up the good work friend!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:19:54 »
On par with all the other cheap/budget handmade and/or hand painted/dipped caps floating around lately.

Nothing more..

Keep in mind I don't care for the skulls much either, but there's so much distaste bordering on smug hate...

Show us on Mr. Bear where the CC touched you...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Re: Clickclacks
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 23:25:14 »

Thanks

No

I am sorry Smallfry, I was not trying to imply that this wiki page was outdated if you are the one maintaining it. And now I can see that you are working to gather more photos of different CC caps.

Keep up the good work friend!
Well, I'm no good at the wiki part. I just collect the pictures, CPTBadAss is the one writing the wiki. :D

Offline koralatov

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 03:19:26 »
Click Clack is a genius. These things are so photogenic... and any self-respecting keyboard geek would jump at the chance to have something so cool.
That must mean I have absolutely no self-respect, because I think they’re ugly, impractical, and ludicrously over-priced.  The whole secondary Click Clack market is just tulip mania for gullible keyboard users.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 03:51:15 »
Click Clack is a genius. These things are so photogenic... and any self-respecting keyboard geek would jump at the chance to have something so cool.
That must mean I have absolutely no self-respect, because I think they’re ugly, impractical, and ludicrously over-priced.  The whole secondary Click Clack market is just tulip mania for gullible keyboard users.

The hate is strong with this one.

You can complain all day about supply and demand but unfortunately, won't change a thing. Mocking people that don't share your tastes or interests won't get you very far either.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 04:28:31 »

There are enthusiasts for a lot of things. From pigeon racing to people collecting model airplanes. Typically, they are willing to pay considerable amounts of money for things that have no value to the average Joe. And a lot of times, these things are for aesthetics only.

That does not make them dumb, it just means that when it comes to their hobby, they have a specific set of preferences that differs quite a bit from everyone else. Buying rare or custom keycaps is not that different from collecting coins or stamps, or paying an absurd amount for fancy looking carbon bottle cages for your roadbike. This is a forum where such people from all around the world, with such a specific interest, gather. It should therefore be no surprise that they are willing to pay prices that would be silly to some. But as long as the person who bought it is happy with the purchase and feels it was worth it, who is to say he/she made the wrong call. Some interests are more widely accepted than others. Nobody gives it a second thought when my girlfriend pays 350 euros for shoes that are technically not better or more expensive to produce than other shoes less than a quarter of the price, or whatever the hell my brother paid for those rims on his mercedes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2013, 04:43:19 by Grim Fandango »

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 05:34:55 »

There are enthusiasts for a lot of things. From pigeon racing to people collecting model airplanes. Typically, they are willing to pay considerable amounts of money for things that have no value to the average Joe. And a lot of times, these things are for aesthetics only.

That does not make them dumb, it just means that when it comes to their hobby, they have a specific set of preferences that differs quite a bit from everyone else. Buying rare or custom keycaps is not that different from collecting coins or stamps, or paying an absurd amount for fancy looking carbon bottle cages for your roadbike. This is a forum where such people from all around the world, with such a specific interest, gather. It should therefore be no surprise that they are willing to pay prices that would be silly to some. But as long as the person who bought it is happy with the purchase and feels it was worth it, who is to say he/she made the wrong call. Some interests are more widely accepted than others. Nobody gives it a second thought when my girlfriend pays 350 euros for shoes that are technically not better or more expensive to produce than other shoes less than a quarter of the price, or whatever the hell my brother paid for those rims on his mercedes.

Well put. The only problem is that being a "hobbyist" to me means taking everything I get into over the years to the next level. What can I say I just love "gear". Bought a road bike off Craig's List some years ago. It works fine...nah it needs a new component group, stem, headset, carbon bottle cages (haha), etc, etc, etc. How about a DSLR off ebay? Well you can imagine what I own on top of the base camera kit now. Lets see...got a mechanical keyboard as a gift. It works fine, great keyboard. How abouttt....key cap sets, novelty keys, buying, selling, 3 more boards, forums.....The list goes on.

I think this kind of behavior actually becomes a problem for some people, whether it prohibits their enjoyment of a product because they always need the next thing or it puts a hole in their pocket. Personally I love hobby stuff and getting into things... but sometimes we all need to remember to enjoy what we have. The second we all got our first mech keyboard, we already had a "better" keyboard than probably 95% of people who own keyboards.  :))
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 06:31:08 »

Thanks

No

I'm currently working with SmallFry to update the Wiki as fast as I can. If you're interested, I also started a Clack Info thread that can be found in my signature. If you'd like to help us work on the wiki, PM me. :D

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 06:50:01 »

Thanks

No

I'm currently working with SmallFry to update the Wiki as fast as I can. If you're interested, I also started a Clack Info thread that can be found in my signature. If you'd like to help us work on the wiki, PM me. :D

I'll have some new ones for ya today or tomorrow.
Looking for CC's!

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 06:56:50 »

dis gonna be good
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 07:27:07 »

How are they 'impractical' ?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 07:40:57 »

They perform the same function as a typical keycap but cost exponentially more?
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 07:43:59 »

So the fact that they are an expencive novelty cap makes them 'impractical' simply as a functional keycap?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 09:21:47 »

So the fact that they are an expencive novelty cap makes them 'impractical' simply as a functional keycap?

Yes. Its an expensive novelty cap, its sort of impractical by definition isnt it? The only advantage it offers over a 2 dollar cap with identical functionality is aesthetics. Novelty items are rarely "practical" but are often very desirable anyway. Thats just basically how I see it.

wtb: cc's

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 09:24:52 »

Yes. Its an expensive novelty cap, its sort of impractical by definition isnt it? The only advantage it offers over a 2 dollar cap with identical functionality is aesthetics. Novelty items are rarely "practical" but are often very desirable anyway. Thats just basically how I see it.

I don't see it as being 'impractical' becasue it works just as well as any of my other cherry caps, and infact the thickness of the key makes using and pressing it much nicer than the cherry keys I have on my board.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 10:48:35 »

I don't see it as being 'impractical' becasue it works just as well as any of my other cherry caps, and infact the thickness of the key makes using and pressing it much nicer than the cherry keys I have on my board.

This is correct. Impractical was the wrong word choice. The only time it becomes impractical is when it doesn't function as well as the other but is used for aesthetics.

For example, you wouldn't call a fur coat impractical just because it is more expensive than a North Face since it still keeps you warm. Now, if you wore a more expensive coat that made you colder, just because it looks good on you; it would be considered impractical.

im·prac·ti·cal 
/imˈpraktikəl/
Adjective
(of an object or course of action) Not adapted for use or action; not sensible or realistic: "impractical high heels".
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2013, 10:50:30 by OnTheBrink »

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 11:17:39 »
"not sensible or realistic" also backs up my reasoning...actually.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 11:20:53 »

It's shaped like a traditional keycap and even the skulls have a realativly flat surface, so its sensible becasue it works perfectally as a normal keycap.
It's realistic becasue, yeah some are crazy money, most arnt and you can buy them for pretty normal amounts that arn't INSANE $1000000000000000000 prices.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 14:35:58 »

It's shaped like a traditional keycap and even the skulls have a relatively flat surface, so its sensible because it works perfectly as a normal keycap.
It's realistic because, yeah some are crazy money, most aren't and you can buy them for pretty normal amounts that aren't INSANE $1000000000000000000 prices.
The sides seem to be a bit higher than the 'regular' profile and they seat slightly higher as well because of the thickness.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 14:55:52 »

It's shaped like a traditional keycap and even the skulls have a realativly flat surface, so its sensible becasue it works perfectally as a normal keycap.
It's realistic becasue, yeah some are crazy money, most arnt and you can buy them for pretty normal amounts that arn't INSANE $1000000000000000000 prices.

So its sort of shaped like a typical key cap and actuates the switch in the same way...but costs much more and is difficult to procure. Sounds "sensible" to me! Sorry, they are items for enthusiests and people who dont know what else to do with their disposable income. Clacks are not sensible or practical by any stretch.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 14:59:57 »

So its sort of shaped like a typical key cap and actuates the switch in the same way...but costs much more and is difficult to procure. Sounds "sensible" to me! Sorry, they are items for enthusiests and people who dont know what else to do with their disposable income. Clacks are not sensible or practical by any stretch.

Collector's items don't follow any 'sensible' rules. People pay what they feel they are worth to them, individually, as a collector. Using your logic, the first minted Mickey Mantle baseball card in mint condition shouldn't be worth more than any other printed card, right?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 15:06:18 »

Collector's items don't follow any 'sensible' rules. People pay what they feel they are worth to them, individually, as a collector. Using your logic, the first minted Mickey Mantle baseball card in mint condition shouldn't be worth more than any other printed card, right?
Pretty much this. CC's are worth what people are willing to pay for them post-consumer. If someone wants to pay $200 for a particularly rare Clack, then that's the going market price.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2013, 15:08:11 by noisyturtle »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 15:31:18 »
No. I refuse to have it.
Anything even remotally rare and valuable has ZERO FUNCTIONALITY AND PURPOSE. If something is worth more than $40 then it's TOTALLY UNREALISTIC and completally IMPRACTICAL.

For reals, my CC I have on my kb I can't even use. It's so expensive and massive im scared touching it would break the switch and/or the CC its self.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 15:59:11 »

No, I'm not saying that at all. Not sure how you related that scenario to anything Ive said. CC's have a market price that is often much higher than their original selling price. This is rightfully so because they are collector's items. In fact, I am saying that their valuation and rarity is pretty much what makes them impractical by the "not sensible or realistic" part of the definition someone posted above. You typically don't fill you entire board with CC's because it isn't practical! Functionality really plays no part in my reasoning...

baldgye.....I have no idea what your latest post means. Is it all sarcasm?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:03:55 »
baldgye.....I have no idea what your latest post means.

How I feel reading your posts.