Author Topic: [IC] 618 By Zepsody - An Extended 1800 Keyboard  (Read 11761 times)

Offline The Equals D

[IC] 618 By Zepsody - An Extended 1800 Keyboard
« on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 16:33:51 »
By Zepsody

All Photography by R4bbl3d4bbl3

IC Form

Background

618, originally called "Longhorn" is a board I have been working on since the beginning of 2021. I have owned many 1800 keyboards, but never found one that I was happy enough with to use as a daily driver. So I decided to make my own. The keyboard has evolved since then, as I became a better designer, I continued to update it. I am finally at a point with the design where I am ready to show it off here.

The name "618" comes from the TON 618 black hole. This is the largest known black hole in the universe. I thought it was fitting for such a large keyboard.

I plan to order the round 4 prototypes next week. So if you have any feedback or suggestions, please try and submit it during the first week of this IC, I will be reviewing all feedback before placing the order for the next round of prototypes.

Info
- 8 Degree Typing Angle
- Mechlovin Pcb with QMK and VIA Support
- Hotswap or Solderable Pcb
- Mx/Alps Compatibility
- Case Made of 6063 Aluminum
- Centered Usb C Universal Daughterboard
- LED Indicator Lights with Acrylic Diffuser
- Poron gasket mount with silicone side gaskets to hold the assembly in place. (Silicone plate gaskets can be made if there is enough demand)
- Proto weight of 10lb 6oz or 4.7kg (fully built with a fr4 plate and keycaps)
- MOQ 200 (Set by Manufacturer)
- Price TBD

Vendors
U.S. - Zepsody
International - TBD

Layout Support

Plate Info (click the spoiler to show)

Plate (Fixed Layout)
Current Plate (used for prototype 3)

New Plate

I am mostly happy with the current plate design, however I want to add a bit more flex on the edges. The poron is compressed as lightly as I think makes sense, so I am going to test a few versions of the new plate design in order to find something I am 100% happy with.

White Prototype Photos (All photos are of prototype round 3)

Black Prototype Pictures

Wine Prototype Pictures

Renders of Round 4 Prototypes

Renders by Dotnick

Some Notes
For prototype round 4 I have changed a few things. The first being the bottom. You can see the difference from the renders and the pictures. I have also updated the plate slightly and will be testing the alps plate and universal plates. I am very happy with the e-white and the wine color, however I am considering changing the black to something different.
I will likely have to kill off the mirror polished pvd back piece. The main reason being the difficulty of this on the manufacturer and on the qc process. Mirror polished pvd scratches very easily, to get it right, the manufacturer will have to throw out 1-2 back plates for every 1 that passes qc. Not only does this raise cost, it can also prolong the manufacturing period. I am thinking of offering the middle plate in forged carbon fiber instead but I am open to any reasonable feedback.

The current prototype is not a "finalized" version. Unlike many factories used for keyboard production, my factory is not a prototyping factory. This means they are not set up to quickly and efficiently make 1 off prototypes, rather they only prototype for mass production. Because of this, the focus for the round 3 prototypes was getting the machining, anodizing, and e coating correct while developing the processes needed for future production. This was the first round of prototyping through this manufacturer so none of this had been done yet. The next round's focus will be on producing production ready prototypes.

Zepsody Discord

Signature
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118275.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/o0OTAYR.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 September 2022, 18:23:31 by The Equals D »

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
Re: [IC] 618 By Zepsody - An Extended 1800 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 16:35:52 »
what a unit, i like it.

Offline johntron25

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 16:39:59 »
I'm a sucker for 1800, in for one

Offline pfd473c

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 16:47:09 »
Looks great! In for one too :)

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 16:48:52 »
Just to respond to a concern I saw in the IC form. If I did add silicone gaskets as an option, it would be an additional option, it would not replace the poron gaskets. I also understand that poron and silicone gaskets need different levels of compression (silicone needs essentially 0 compression actually). The way I set up the mounting, it is currently fine to use with either a 2mm poron gasket (current), or a thinner silicone gasket. I have tested these same compression levels on a different project, with a similar mounting design, with both silicone and poron gaskets and it worked very well.

To be completely transparent, the main reason I am asking this question is to see if the demand is great enough that it would be worth spending the $1k it would cost to get the mold made for the silicone gaskets.

Offline linell

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 17:16:54 »
cool layout and cool bottom :)
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 17:39:58 »
Does the plate support the 2U zero stabs? It shows on the pcb render but not the plate.
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 17:41:12 »
Does the plate support the 2U zero stabs? It shows on the pcb render but not the plate.

2u zero will be supported in the universal plate

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 19:12:03 »
This looks great

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 19:29:52 »
Reminds me of the ALU Boston I just got. Don't really have room for 2 boards like that, but I fully support this!
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline jtqx

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 01:27:52 »
I love 1800 and its a shame that we don't see more of this form factor.

2 questions:
Is it possible to show the internals of this board?
Any price estimates?
Big boys: JER1800, Cypher, IBM Model M, W1-AT
TKLs: F1-88, F1-8x_722, F2-84, EO87, Matrix ME, IBM 'SSK', Bias, NCR80
Small boys: HHKB Pro 2, KWa.6, Maggio
Others: Praxis, LZ Phase, Sagittarius

65% and 75% bad

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 04:10:10 »
The IC form doesn't allow you to select more than one plate type, although the question is what types of material do you prefer.

Offline Abstand

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 10:08:40 »
Looks really nice and the layout is great for a "do-everything" keyboard. In love with the wine color too.

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 11:35:59 »
Wish the bottom was a bit sleeker, the numerous exposed screws and excessive number of rubber feet makes it look very busy.

If you could have one long strip style foot for the top and bottom edges that covered those screws, I think that would be optimal.

I much rather you put the money for silicon gaskets into moulding those feet instead, if given the option.

Regarding changing black to something else, perhaps Navy would work instead if you're looking to change that?

All that said, other than the bottom being busy, I love the look of the Rev4 renders.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 September 2022, 11:47:19 by BRSxIgnition »

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 12:26:45 »
Wish the bottom was a bit sleeker, the numerous exposed screws and excessive number of rubber feet makes it look very busy.

If you could have one long strip style foot for the top and bottom edges that covered those screws, I think that would be optimal.

I much rather you put the money for silicon gaskets into moulding those feet instead, if given the option.

Regarding changing black to something else, perhaps Navy would work instead if you're looking to change that?

All that said, other than the bottom being busy, I love the look of the Rev4 renders.

I tried to address the bottom being too busy in the new version shown in the renders. I think in person it will be alot cleaner looking than the old version.

I dont think a geon style bumpon is something I can offer unfortunately. The screwing on the bottom and the weight are different due to the internal workings.

The molds for the feet cost essentially nothing to make. The plate gaskets are more expensive since the leafs on the plate are different shapes and sizes. I am totally willing to invest the money in those molds, just thought I should poll demand before doing so.

I will consider navy. I personally like navy as well.

The IC form doesn't allow you to select more than one plate type, although the question is what types of material do you prefer.

This was a mistake and I have updated it. You should be able to edit your response.

I love 1800 and its a shame that we don't see more of this form factor.

2 questions:
Is it possible to show the internals of this board?
Any price estimates?

No estimates yet. I want to get some international vendors lined up and get things requoted for the prototype 4 design before I announce any pricing. I will only say that 618 is not a cheap board to manufacture so do not expect it to be priced as a budget board.
I will provide a shot of the internals once I order prototype round 4 (a week or so).

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 14:25:00 »
definitely a neat board. i have my doubts that it'll hit 200 moq with how niche the layout is and how expensive i'm expecting it'll be. wishing u luck though, hoping this can have a smooth buy :^)
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 16:30:13 »

I dont think a geon style bumpon is something I can offer unfortunately. The screwing on the bottom and the weight are different due to the internal workings.

Would it be possible to add holes specifically to slot in feet pegs on either side of each screw perhaps?

Good to hear about the Navy color choice though, looking forward to seeing real photos of the latest prototype.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 16:57:00 »
Really cool bottom, and I personally love 1800cps and with the xt columns this thing becomes a beast.
The 2u 0 key is interesting, I don't know Jose useful it would be since my thumb would still have to bend to smack it but it's a neat little addition.
Will be watching!

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 13:29:58 »

Would it be possible to add holes specifically to slot in feet pegs on either side of each screw perhaps?

Good to hear about the Navy color choice though, looking forward to seeing real photos of the latest prototype.

It might be possible to do per screw bumpons, but with the amount of screws on south side of the bottom, it could be an excessive amount of bumpons.

I also have not yet made a board with screws hidden by bumpons. Sometimes doing something new like this, especially if I were to make new molds for it, can take a couple tries to get right. Because 618 is very close to completed, I don't want to undertake something like that for this design. It might be more time consuming than it is worth here.

I also personally don't mind the look of a few screws on the bottom of a board. I think with the new bottom design, the amount of screws will look fine irl. Also keep in mind that I will be trying to match the screws to the parts of the board. IE stainless steel screws for the ss weight and black screws for the cf, this will make them less noticeable.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 21:16:52 »
****ing Beastmode!

Offline eg0t1st1k4l

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 01:41:54 »
this is not a good time for me to be broke

Offline CoffeeTime

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 October 2022, 19:03:36 »
Innnnnnnnnn

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 17:29:36 »
been waiting to see some forged carbon in this hobby! hopefully it can be done for a reasonable price - wouldn't mind adding an 1800 to the collection

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 18:47:45 »
Glws, love design, and big layout is useful
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!