Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fortune  (Read 11374 times)

Offline ye_cole

[IC] GMK Fortune
« on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 23:31:54 »
This set is kinda now GMK.

Inspiration

This set was inspired by the keyboard of the Fortune 32:16 computer. I'm using beige alphas and faded teal modifiers, with a grey accent. The colors are:

Grey: Cool Gray 10 C
Mod Legends: Cool gray 1 C
Mods: 7475 C
Alphas: 466 C
Alphas legends: 419 C

Pictures

This image was made entirely in photoshop.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: This set is retro! Why are you running this old timer in GMK?

A: IMO, this set in GMK looks better that it does in SA. I rather like it, so I'm keeping it. Nothing more to it.

Q: ETA?

A: IDK.

Can't think of any more FAQ's. If you made it this far (or if you didn't) have a nice day. :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:47:41 by ye_cole »

Offline lovetree

Re: [IC] SA Fortune
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:23:11 »
The color of this set is awesome.
I'm in if GB opens. :thumb:

And I suggest that there be one more 2.25 shift keys for 660 compability.
That would be certain apeal point to 660 enthusiasts.

I think the clover and executive key should be included.
I think not only the color scheme but also those keys are the very characteristic of this keyset.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:25:33 by lovetree »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:40:14 »
Removing due to irrelevancy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:19:15 by ye_cole »

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:42:35 »
Gorgeous, I'll probably be in. There's no "neither" option in the poll, which I would choose to save costs.

Also would it be cheaper/more widely used to have Control as Caps Lock replacement? Quite a few people use that layout.

Awesome work!

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

Offline Seelen

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:51:37 »
Interesting set, both your creation and the set that inspired it! I keep coming back to that layout. If ever there was a case of good, bad, and ugly, this is it. I love the "PREV/NEXT SCRN" instead of "Page Up/Down".

Of course, the shifts on that monster are atrocious, and the sculpting on some rows is baffling, but taking into account the state of the keyboard when it was made, this seems like a pretty good one!

Also, that help key is amazing. Where would it go on a modern board....I suppose F1 might be the logical choice?

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 12:15:14 »

Also, that help key is amazing. Where would it go on a modern board....I suppose F1 might be the logical choice?

Not super relevant, but I have a Help key that I use to switch layers. I just think it's awesome and had to use it. :)

Offline Liam

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 12:57:48 »
I'd love to have more grey on the F row like the original :) And because this'll be done my Maxkey, you gotta got an eye on the quality control so they don't mess it up.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 18:06:53 »
Thanks for viewing! Would you buy this set? Anything you would improve upon? Let me know!

EDIT: Should I get new molds made for shift, backspace, and alt? Those would add 10 dollars to the set. It wouldn't be as cheap as other maxkey sets, but it would lack their imperfections. Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13351678.

EDIT2: The clover has been cancelled! Only text novelties will be done. Either the HELP, or EXECUTE. Perhaps both, probably both.

EDIT3: There will be 3 R3 1u blanks or flowers/cherries added. Should I add blanks or flowers?

colors are great, I think this becomes my forth maxkey SA set.

I prefer blanks over flowers (have already a lot of them).

Strange still reading about kerning issue - still not fixed for all ?
In several threads it was stated another GB-site is on top of that with maxkey, but it looks like their did not ?
or maxkey putting a premium an that, if we wanna use the new molds and not the old ones.
I have no problem with the kerning issue, it's a cool quirk.

I'd love to have more grey on the F row like the original :) And because this'll be done my Maxkey, you gotta got an eye on the quality control so they don't mess it up.

I like the alternate colors in the F-blocks, keep it ! But more grey would be cool.
Quality of my three maxkey SA sets are the same or better than R5 or R6.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 18:11:25 by daaawooo »
Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 18:38:14 »
If this is supposed to be a tribute set, then I would stick as close to the look of the original Fortune as possible. It didn't have alternate F-row blocks, so neither should this set. It had a teal RETURN key, and so too should this set. Also, it may just be poor white balance calibration, but the alphas in the photo have a more reddish hue to them than the set renders which look more yellow; if possible I would pick a color for the alphas that more closely matches the original keyboard (maybe they do, and it's just the photo that is off).

I say all this only because I am a big fan of tribute concepts like this and hate seeing such sets compromised by the introduction of (design) choices that bear no relation to the keyboards that the sets are in tribute to.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 20:42:49 »
If this is supposed to be a tribute set, then I would stick as close to the look of the original Fortune as possible.

This isn't a tribute set, it was merely inspired by the keyboard.

I'm putting the help key where the esc should be, but it'll be R1, so anywhere on the first 2 rows.

Modified some content due to irrelevancy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:19:46 by ye_cole »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 22:39:10 »
If this is supposed to be a tribute set, then I would stick as close to the look of the original Fortune as possible. It didn't have alternate F-row blocks, so neither should this set. It had a teal RETURN key, and so too should this set. Also, it may just be poor white balance calibration, but the alphas in the photo have a more reddish hue to them than the set renders which look more yellow; if possible I would pick a color for the alphas that more closely matches the original keyboard (maybe they do, and it's just the photo that is off).

I say all this only because I am a big fan of tribute concepts like this and hate seeing such sets compromised by the introduction of (design) choices that bear no relation to the keyboards that the sets are in tribute to.

Looking at different pictures of this Fortune board, I believe originally the alphas we're much more white, like the A key in the linked picture here. They need a wee bit of retrobright.
keyboards.

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:07:04 »
If this is supposed to be a tribute set, then I would stick as close to the look of the original Fortune as possible.

Ah, that's a shame. That original keyboard is pretty rad looking.

Alas, the top row of the derived set is kind of all over the place, with no clear concept driving it. It's got an ESC that doesn't match the original, followed by IBM-ish alternating F- color blocks (yuck), and then book-ended arbitrarily by gray PRINT/SCROLL LOCK/PAUSE keys. There's no cohesive idea behind that whole row. And then there's teal navcluster keys situated (vertically) between blocks of gray keys for...reasons? At least if this were a tribute set and the colors were designed to match the colors of the equivalent areas of the original Fortune board, there would be a clear and unique idea discernable behind the design.

Looking at different pictures of this Fortune board, I believe originally the alphas we're much more white, like the A key in the linked picture here. They need a wee bit of retrobright.

True. However, I am willing to bet that the teal keycaps were originally a normal blue color and are in need of retrobrighting as well. By going with teal, the OP is clearly trying to capture the look of vintage keycaps that have ambered with age, which is an appealing aesthetic direction to take. It is unfortunate, though, that capturing the spirit of the original keyboard doesn't extend to its color layout in addition to its underlying colorway.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:16:01 »
Yes they were more blue, but with a hint of teal.
keyboards.

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 14:58:00 »
I'm not sure where you heard this? Can you give me a link? In my correspondence with maxkeys, it seems that they don't have molds with the kerning issues fixed. These really bug me, so I'd like to get them out of the way.
in the SA Taboo thread
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88807.msg2402348#msg2402348

or in general also https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88227.0;topicseen

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 16:40:18 »
It is unfortunate, though, that capturing the spirit of the original keyboard doesn't extend to its color layout in addition to its underlying colorway.

You're right! It certainly is. However, I really just wanted to make a set that looks good with somewhat of an aged look. I think I've done that. I'm not going to go all grey FN row, or really change the current one. It's all over the place, and so is the original keyboard. I didn't set out to make a carbon copy of the fortune 32:16, and I'm not going to. Thank you for understanding.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 12:34:03 »
Removed due to irrelevancy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:20:06 by ye_cole »

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:22:45 »
Missing HHKB backspace - 1.5u I suppose - but digging it otherwise!

Offline Seelen

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 09:42:57 »

Ah, that's a shame. That original keyboard is pretty rad looking.

Alas, the top row of the derived set is kind of all over the place, with no clear concept driving it. It's got an ESC that doesn't match the original, followed by IBM-ish alternating F- color blocks (yuck), and then book-ended arbitrarily by gray PRINT/SCROLL LOCK/PAUSE keys. There's no cohesive idea behind that whole row. And then there's teal navcluster keys situated (vertically) between blocks of gray keys for...reasons? At least if this were a tribute set and the colors were designed to match the colors of the equivalent areas of the original Fortune board, there would be a clear and unique idea discernable behind the design.

True. However, I am willing to bet that the teal keycaps were originally a normal blue color and are in need of retrobrighting as well. By going with teal, the OP is clearly trying to capture the look of vintage keycaps that have ambered with age, which is an appealing aesthetic direction to take. It is unfortunate, though, that capturing the spirit of the original keyboard doesn't extend to its color layout in addition to its underlying colorway.

He's right about that. You have three colors for the top row right now, and it's just kind of muddling up the board. I definitely feel the same about the enter key.

I get that this is not a tribute board, but rather simply "these colors look cool so I want to use  them". I guess my thing is, if this isn't a tribute board....why not? Unless you can do it better than they did, and given that you're limiting yourself to the original colors they used, and the original novelties...why wouldn't you make a tribute set?

Also, just my opinion but I think the original set looks about better than the current layout of the SA version. Too much teal in it now. The original board is truly unique and special and I'd certainly buy a tribute board.

Keep in mind, the guy saying this to you above is the person who made the last successful tribute board, which sold very well, so I'd take it into consideration.

Anyways, I'll check back down the road. If I like the looks when it's done, I'll buy it.

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 16:53:47 »
there are two ways to run a "custom" keycap set.

a) short lived IC thread, GB may struggles to meet MoQ of 100, but set will ship like 2 months after GB ends.

b) long lived IC thread, build a fan base, GB numbers go thru the roof like 5000 or 18000 kits (a kit does not equal a full set).

like SA carbon, yes this set is some what cool, but I would had only joined the last round for flipping it (did not do that, because SA carbon is a mass product with 4000 or whatever full sets out there, the word "custom" in the product description is misplaced).
even SA godspeed with much lower numbers than carbon is already flipped now. the fact people have to wait 8-10 months for the set after joining a GB is maybe a factor, like people joined and 10 months later already forgot about it, bought a other set, sold the keyboard it was planned for or have other interests.

--

ok, with maxkey and no real affordable option for many child kits, there is no need to talk 6-12 months about what should or should not be in the 10-20 child kits.
so I have no problem the IC thread is short.
but if you just do your idea without incorporate other users ideas, you should not opened a IC thread, you should had opened a GB thread announcing the product.

Offline Harms

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 23:04:06 »
Any news on when the potential group buy shall start :). The colors are amazing.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 00:10:12 »
Hello! Quick update.

Any news on when the potential group buy shall start :). The colors are amazing.

I'll be starting the group buy around a week after I get some renders made, depending on how much Keyclack charges. I'd like the set to not be too expensive, and the 7 or so custom molds I'm adding are really driving the costs up by approximately 20 dollars a set. If I run the buy myself, it should be priced at around 85-90 dollars, plus shipping(15-20 dollars, thinking about charging flat fee). I'm not looking to make profit from the buy.

He's right about that. You have three colors for the top row right now, and it's just kind of muddling up the board. I definitely feel the same about the enter key.

You're right. It does seem a bit cluttered, I'll certainly concede that. To help with this, I'm changing the winkeyless cluster to completely blue. (i.e: area with printscr, ins, home, etc.) If you like, or dislike, this change, please vote in this strawpoll to tell me about it. Thank you!

Removed some content due to (you guessed it: irrelevancy).
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:21:01 by ye_cole »

Offline condekind

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 15:37:09 »
Loved it! Reminds me of penumbra, but for some reason I like this one more.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 18:49:03 »
Loved it! Reminds me of penumbra, but for some reason I like this one more.

Thank you for the kind words! I can definitely see the similarities to penumbra.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 09:04:19 »
Too bad i was looking forward to the EXECUTE key.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 10:09:24 »
Hello! Quick update.

I've changed the kit. Added 3 R4 1u keys, FN, CTRL, and ALT. 2x each of them(6 total). Added 1 R1 1u |\ key. Added  R2 1 1.5u blank key (intended to be used for whitefox and hhkb backspace). Added 1 extra R4 2.25u shift. Added 2 1u R4 blank keys (GH64 compatibility).
No novelties for this set, unfortunately. I'm going to be giving those up for increased layout coverage.

This should let whitefox and hhkb layout users get partial coverage (will use blanks, but eh).
Also, 75%ers should get partial coverage with this as well.

Keyboard layout editor screen:
Show Image

I'll be starting the group buy around a week after I get some renders made, depending on how much Keyclack charges. I'd like the set to not be too expensive, and the 7 or so custom molds I'm adding are really driving the costs up by approximately 20 dollars a set. If I run the buy myself, it should be priced at around 85-90 dollars, plus shipping(15-20 dollars, thinking about charging flat fee). I'm not looking to make profit from the buy.

You're right. It does seem a bit cluttered, I'll certainly concede that. To help with this, I'm changing the winkeyless cluster to completely blue. (i.e: area with printscr, ins, home, etc.) If you like, or dislike, this change, please vote in this strawpoll to tell me about it. Thank you! http://www.strawpoll.me/13502155.

Missing HHKB backspace - 1.5u I suppose - but digging it otherwise!

Added blank. Not quite the same thing, but I hope it'll do.

That's about it! Group buy should start within either next 4 weeks, or at an unspecified date later on if key clack doesn't charge too much.

Please consider adding grey colored (same as ESC key's color) F1~12 and Print screen ~ pause keys
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 10:12:13 by lovetree »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:25:54 »
Please consider adding grey colored (same as ESC key's color) F1~12 and Print screen ~ pause keys

Hey! Placing this set on hold for now.

I'll certainly consider adding these colors in an accent pack, however.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:21:44 by ye_cole »

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] GMK Fortune
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 13:27:14 »
whew.

added a giant ass update. kinda. just modified some ****.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 09:35:16 »
Should I keep this set GMK? Or go back to SA? :/

Can't decide between chocolate brown or slate legends. Can you guys help me out  by voting here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13956820 ?

Also icon mods poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/13956945

Thanks! :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:51:36 by ye_cole »

Offline lovetree

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 09:43:05 »
Wait, GMK not SA?
And the color of alphas is really 466 C?
It looks like grey rather than brown.
The color scheme seems to be changed entirely.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2017, 10:35:59 by lovetree »

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 09:46:13 »
Gmk! And the chocolate brown makes the set warm, the other makes it cold, so it's up to what you feel is best. I like the brown best

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline keebdeeb

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 23:04:03 »
Aww, really loved the retro look with this in SA. Oh well

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 21:17:58 »
Removed. No more massdrop. :)

Mod Note: Locked at the request of the OP.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 19:51:26 by infiniti »