Author Topic: [IC] DSA Windbreaker (Massdrop voting link added)  (Read 8317 times)

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
[IC] DSA Windbreaker (Massdrop voting link added)
« on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 03:21:09 »

Hey, guys!

This is my first keycap design, DSA Windbreaker, inspired by those rad, colorful jackets that kept us warm on breezy spring days in the 90s!

I've been working on this design for a while now, but finally decided it was ready in time to submit to Massdrop's Community Keycap Design Contest.
You can drop by the contest page and give my post a thumbs up here: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/2343/community-keycap-set-design-contest/1828383

Voting should be up for the contest later this week, and once it is, I'll update this post with a link to the voting. 
I'd love to see DSA Windbreaker make it to a GB, so even if it's not chosen in MD's contest, I'll keep this IC up, and hopefully we'll get enough interest to make it happen!

Thanks for looking! :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 October 2017, 15:28:14 by monkeysontoast »

Offline Findecanor

Re: [IC] DSA Windbreaker
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 04:01:06 »
When you can't say something nice, it is better to say nothing at all ...

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 04:16:31 »
I love crazy colour schemes like this! *thumbs up*

Offline fouras

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 05:27:53 »
Love the colors on this. I think you should try ditching the alternating color F row and arrow accents, though. The design is distinct enough not to need those holdovers from the typical two-color pattern. So something like this:

When you can't say something nice, it is better to say nothing at all ...

I'd say actual criticism is more valuable than passive aggressive BS.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 08:52:21 »
I'm actually afraid i would buy this.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 09:32:12 »
Too busy for me. I think it would be better if you picked one of the colors for alphas, then the other two colors for accents.. maybe one for enter/ESC, and the other for arrows..
keyboards.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:29:22 »
Add a Planck, Ergo and 40s kit and you’re gold. I like it!!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:45:48 »
I enjoy this color scheme a lot!

If there's a kit to make all the F keys the same color (I vote for the purple) I'd be ecstatic.

Are you thinking of going through SP or a Chinese manufacturer?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 12:55:37 »

If there's a kit to make all the F keys the same color (I vote for the purple) I'd be ecstatic.

I'd prefer SP. Either way, it needs to be double shot.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 12:57:34 »

I'd prefer SP. Either way, it needs to be double shot.

China could reverse dye-sub it onto thick PBT. I think it'd be better in double-shot ABS, but there are options.

EDIT: I'm hoping the novelty keys all come in 1u as well so I can have my keyboard say "BREAK WIND"...
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 13:16:03 by AuthenticDanger »
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:35:00 »
I love crazy colour schemes like this! *thumbs up*

Glad ya like it!  :D

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:36:49 »
Love the colors on this. I think you should try ditching the alternating color F row and arrow accents, though. The design is distinct enough not to need those holdovers from the typical two-color pattern. So something like this:

Show Image

Not a bad idea. I'll toy around with it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:38:25 »

hahaha why afraid?  :))

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:53:58 »
Too busy for me. I think it would be better if you picked one of the colors for alphas, then the other two colors for accents.. maybe one for enter/ESC, and the other for arrows..

I appreciate the feedback! The idea, though, is to conjure the looks of 90s windbreakers in both color AND design, which is why I went with a modified gradient style. I tried a few more simplified approaches early on, but none felt quite right. I know this won't appeal to everyone, but hopefully there are enough people out there interested in a little party on their keyboard. haha.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:55:54 »
Add a Planck, Ergo and 40s kit and you’re gold. I like it!!

Hey! Since I submitted this for the Massdrop contest, I kept the kits limited to their required template. Should this design not win the contest, I can always consider adding additional kits if there's enough interest!  :)

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 18:00:26 »

I'll consider making changes to the F row, if not for the contest (may not be able to alter the design if it wins), then after. Thanks for the feedback!  :)

If the contest or IC are successful, this set will be double-shot ABS through SP (SP is required for the contest, but I was already in talks with them about the set, and the color chips above were sent to be from SP).

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 21:05:21 »

Because I've long made a stance against loud colorways, and I literally have nothing that would match this.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 22:54:51 »
Did you digitally recolor the jacket to match the key set (which matches the color scheme of your avatar)?  It doesn't undermine the theme if you did, because those colors were prevalent in the 90s.  This key set's composition of color and pattern are a great exemplification of some of the fashion of the 90s.  It's loud but it's growing on me.  I'd rather see this on my keyboard than Manly Unicorn. 

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:28:55 »

Because I've long made a stance against loud colorways, and I literally have nothing that would match this.

Ah, I see. Believe it or not, I'm not a big fan of loud colorways, either, but I do love these colors and am a sucker for 90s nostalgia.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:37:20 »
Did you digitally recolor the jacket to match the key set (which matches the color scheme of your avatar)?  It doesn't undermine the theme if you did, because those colors were prevalent in the 90s.  This key set's composition of color and pattern are a great exemplification of some of the fashion of the 90s.  It's loud but it's growing on me.  I'd rather see this on my keyboard than Manly Unicorn.

Hey, Derezzed! Yes, the jacket in the graphic above is recolored to match the keyset, but the keyset itself was inspired by the Nike Flight Windbreaker, which most commonly came in these colors:

I couldn't find a high-res photo of the Flight for the graphic, so re-colored a higher resolution but similarly designed jacket.  :thumb:

It's funny you mention my avatar - I definitely did not realize that the two are so similar!  ;D  I guess that happens when a person's favorite colors are purple and teal. Here's my daily driver, which someone on GH nicknamed the "Fakerfuse":

Anyway, I'm glad you like the set!  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:40:21 by monkeysontoast »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:38:18 »
i feel like i should hate it but it's kinda cool
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:42:23 »

Ah, I see. Believe it or not, I'm not a big fan of loud colorways, either, but I do love these colors and am a sucker for 90s nostalgia.
It might also sorta maybe be because I have two keysets and three keyboards on the way... I don't know, we'll see. It's a good thing nobody has made a Jazz themed one, because that's the kind of 90's nonsense I would be unable to resist, haha.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 05:11:05 »
Here are two revised F-row/arrow key designs based on feedback:

I personally prefer the second, with the all dark grey F-row keys, and maintaining the accent on Escape and the Arrow keys. Any thoughts?

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 06:23:15 »
Here are two revised F-row/arrow key designs based on feedback:

Show Image

Show Image

I personally prefer the second, with the all dark grey F-row keys, and maintaining the accent on Escape and the Arrow keys. Any thoughts?
Personally, I think the top image with the second's arrow keys would pair quite nicely.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 07:32:08 »
I love the top one :) I have no use for those keys though so my opinion is pretty irrelevant!

Offline monkeysontoast

Re: [IC] DSA Windbreaker (Massdrop voting link added)
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 15:29:07 »
The voting on Massdrop is up! Follow the link below to vote for DSA Windbreaker in Round 1!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVbUbQAY5taSvUtRUE3Xb1-DZ5Uxmv1zIPqefJJW8hCvrO7g/viewform

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 15:33:34 »
Good luck man, looks like you have a good chance! I think the pink-blue "bubble gum" GMK set is another favorite, but I prefer your design, even if it brings back some awkward high school memories...  :))

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 15:36:49 »
Good luck man, looks like you have a good chance! I think the pink-blue "bubble gum" GMK set is another favorite, but I prefer your design, even if it brings back some awkward high school memories...  :))

Thanks, man! You, too! I love yours!

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 01:44:00 »
Voted for it 👍

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 02:37:25 »
Your a prime example of some of my feedback op want you to know that up front. I also didn't vote for your's why because that was a tight group you where in there where several I liked to have voted for and decided to go with one of the others. That being said if you did win I would happily buy that keyset. I wish I could have just selected my favorite 4 our 5.. then gone from there.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 06:00:58 »
Voted for it 👍

Thanks for the support, sevenseacat!  :D

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 06:15:44 »
Your a prime example of some of my feedback op want you to know that up front. I also didn't vote for your's why because that was a tight group you where in there where several I liked to have voted for and decided to go with one of the others. That being said if you did win I would happily buy that keyset. I wish I could have just selected my favorite 4 our 5.. then gone from there.

I totally understand, HotRoder, and agree with the feedback you gave. It should have definitely been one large group with a few votes allowed per person, or maybe the top 2-3 of each group would move on to the next round. Oh, well.  :p

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:21:29 »

I totally understand, HotRoder, and agree with the feedback you gave. It should have definitely been one large group with a few votes allowed per person, or maybe the top 2-3 of each group would move on to the next round. Oh, well.  :p

I like that also the top 3 in each bracket having a face off. I also hope they release totals. Perhaps those that got really really high ranked votes could perhaps be picked up by other company's to be run. Are they could be run by the designers them selfs. Though some designers seemed a bit more green then others. I most likely it will happen for transparency. I know your designed seemed very very professional so I am guessing this is not your first rodeo when it comes to keycap sets.