Author Topic: What have I gotten myself into. . .  (Read 1714 times)

Offline NekoTaks

What have I gotten myself into. . .
« on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 05:01:12 »
Hello there!

I am Nexy, a newbie to the world of custom mechanical keyboards.

My foray into starting off with mech keebs was a somewhat expensive and misguided start - by buying a kit and hoping to throw parts at it and make it work.

So far, it's gotten me into a much deeper rabbit hole than I thought it would, but that's more for reasons pertaining to my impulsiveness than anything else.

My current history with mechanical keyboards is:

I so far have a mechanical keyboard that is yet incomplete, a COD67 kit. I'm currently waiting for more parts to pick up for it, and once I'm eligible on the forum, may also have some leftover parts to sell as well that resulted from, once again, my impulsiveness in buying the keyboard as well as parts for it. The COD67 was a project I planned on buying just because I love customized stuff way too much, and being able to buy the COD67 in a variety of material and color choices lead me to jump on buying one. It's so far been my most expensive keyboard, and I haven't even used it yet. . .

My next project keyboard is a much less expensive one, an OLKB Planck that I plan on just using more readily available parts for it. I plan on buying the Planck more as an on-the-go keyboard for bringing around with me, thanks to its small size. I may plan on repurposing it as a macro pad for whenever I do digital artwork though, so we may have to see where that project goes once it's fully assembled.

I recently bought my least expensive keyboard out of all three that I plan on owning, a Magicforce 68, thanks to a Massdrop group buy. I feel that it would been a better choice for me to start off with as my first mech keeb, just because it's so much less expensive than the Planck and the COD67. I only plan on swapping out the keycaps on it for Cherry-profile PBT blanks, but if the Gateron Browns I bought it with aren't to my liking either, I may mod it with Zilent 65Gs later on down the road.

My experience with mech keebs so far is all just from reading way too much over the last 5 months that I've been in this world, and because I feel that I'm nearing the end of just being able to look up what ever info I want to about keyboard parts and history, I think it's about time I got into socializing about keyboards and other peripherals too.

So. . .hello!
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 July 2018, 05:17:11 by NekoTaks »

Offline AdrianMan

Re: What have I gotten myself into. . .
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 05:45:44 »
Hello there !

On the same line with you here, my most expensive board took like almost a year to be finally built, but I still have it :)

The rabbit whole is deep for a while, until you understand what you like, but the lurking and experimenting stuff will take a while until you rafine your tastes.

Also keep in mind your impulses ... there are periods where you might jump on everything that sounds nice and buy them ... there will be periods where you will try to get rid of all the stuff you horded into your house and drawers and you only use one keyboard :))

Enjoy the process and don't stress about end games or feel bad if you miss stuff, it's just your real life deconnecting activity :)

Offline NekoTaks

Re: What have I gotten myself into. . .
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 01:42:03 »
At this point, I feel like my COD67 may indeed take about a year to complete since I want certain parts that will take a while to nab for my build. First time projects are the ones you'll remember best, and I feel the same would be true with my COD67 keeb, lol. I expected this hobby to be expensive from the start, but I didn't think I'd fall this far into it - I just thought I'd build one keyboard and be over with it until I saw the level of customization that can be achieved with the keyboard builds I've come across in my searches :eek:

Many of the hobbies I'm interested in take quite a bit of money, and adding in the fact that I love custom stuff way too much already rubs a bit of salt in my wallet's wounds, lol

Thanks for the welcome!