Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 185985 times)

Offline pvd

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #750 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:00:10 »
Gonna be a while before I can do it, but my plan was to go with this guide

Thanks! I was looking for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XMOUSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This appears to be the brand of drawer liner he used, the size, price, and appearance match.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #751 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:43:04 »

Thanks! I was looking for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XMOUSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This appears to be the brand of drawer liner he used, the size, price, and appearance match.

Yes, that's the exact one I got. Already have it and put some in my fc660c. The roll comes with plenty.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline zslane

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:46:27 »
If the goal is sound dampening, you would be much better off getting a sheet of sorbothane acoustic dampening rubber. Also available from Amazon. It is a little more expensive, but it is amazing.

Offline jimmydosveces

« Reply #753 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 12:50:29 »
Ryan, do you have any updates on Tactical Gray replacement eta? I know the special order powders could be longer/unknown, but curious if the cases have been sent off for finish removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline panzermuffin

« Reply #754 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 13:26:40 »
Man Id love to buy one, but the CM switch choices are abysmal :( Would love to at least get some Cherry Clears...

Offline autobot

« Reply #755 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:12:50 »
Wow. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, floris and autobot!

You're welcome! :)

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #756 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:18:20 »
Alright, one more to the fold (wanted to catch some pretty SA reflections and as many shades as possible of the case in different lightings at the same time, so, sorry for the harsh light):

Show Image

What keyset is that?
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #757 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:56:06 »
So as someone who isn't going to find a novatouch anytime soon, can anyone with the regular cm pro s boards tell me how well this case works with your board? Anything I should know before I jump onto this hypetrain?

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #758 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 22:28:55 »
Alright, one more to the fold (wanted to catch some pretty SA reflections and as many shades as possible of the case in different lightings at the same time, so, sorry for the harsh light):

Show Image

What keyset is that?

That's Abyss SA from Keyboard Therapy: http://keyboardtherapy.bigcartel.com/product/asa

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #759 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 22:35:22 »

Show Image

What keyset is that?

That's Abyss SA from Keyboard Therapy: http://keyboardtherapy.bigcartel.com/product/asa
Thanks. Looks really good

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline FSund

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 00:47:13 »

Anyone know what kind of material he's using? I tried searching Amazon and eBay, but couldn't find anything that looked like the same material.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #761 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 07:08:22 »
zslane recommended sorbothane which is available on amazon under the name "Isolate It".

zslane have you used it for this purpose? What thickness would you recommend?

Offline losthumans

« Reply #762 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 09:30:01 »

Anyone know what kind of material he's using? I tried searching Amazon and eBay, but couldn't find anything that looked like the same material.
I have purchased and used XCEL neoprene ordered off Amazon. It's 1/4 or 1/8 inch thick sheets, dirt cheap compared to any specialty material and I'm sure 99% as effective. You can get a roll that's enough to do 10 boards for less than what the specialty sheets cost.

Please note any brand will work I only added the brand name of what I've ordered in the past for ease of looking up.

Offline zslane

« Reply #763 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 10:50:59 »
zslane recommended sorbothane which is available on amazon under the name "Isolate It".

I used a single 1/10" sheet, which I cut into the necessary shapes, to fill the bottom of a walnut Datamancer case for one of my Pok3rs:

177465-0

Without the sorbothane, the bottom-out and upstroke noise would echo inside the case in a really unappealing way. The sorbothane pretty much killed that noise dead, and now you can hear the light click of the MX blues more clearly since it is no longer drowned out by all that other noise. It also added a nice bit of extra weight to the keyboard (sorbothane is surprisingly dense and heavy, and the walnut case was surprisingly light).

I also used the same stuff in the bottom of a Lambo 60% case that houses my KBP V60 mini (with LightCycle DSA keycaps), though to be honest, it really didn't need it.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #764 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 13:57:11 »
Ryan, do you have any updates on Tactical Gray replacement eta? I know the special order powders could be longer/unknown, but curious if the cases have been sent off for finish removal.

Yes, they were dropped off last week. Beyond that, I would say a month or less, though with shop it's highly variable and sometimes hard to predict. The Retro Refrigerator and Enigma Black should be the fastest, as those are colors they carry in stock.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #765 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 14:00:25 »
So as someone who isn't going to find a novatouch anytime soon, can anyone with the regular cm pro s boards tell me how well this case works with your board? Anything I should know before I jump onto this hypetrain?

The plate is the same. In addition to my testing, many folks have used it with that keyboard without reporting any problems.

For example, here is a Reddit thread

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 16:24:58 »

GMK Honeywell on a Rapid-i with Kailh Speed Coppers and a Monte Carlo Red Norbauer :)

Offline Auk

« Reply #767 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 16:47:46 »
GMK Honeywell on... ...Monte Carlo Red

That is superb.

Offline poolside

« Reply #768 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 16:57:18 »
Are these little specks on the lower part of the bezel due to the powder-coating process?

Those are just pieces of dust. I tried my best to stamp out any dust in photoshop but forgot to do the keyboard itself (focused on the keycaps).

If you want examples of what the powder-coating looks like, check these:

Show Image
Show Image

Thanks, I thought those dust specks were little lumps of powder from the coating process.

Offline 12on

« Reply #769 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 19:18:35 »

I used a single 1/10" sheet, which I cut into the necessary shapes, to fill the bottom of a walnut Datamancer case for one of my Pok3rs:

(Attachment Link)

Without the sorbothane, the bottom-out and upstroke noise would echo inside the case in a really unappealing way. The sorbothane pretty much killed that noise dead, and now you can hear the light click of the MX blues more clearly since it is no longer drowned out by all that other noise. It also added a nice bit of extra weight to the keyboard (sorbothane is surprisingly dense and heavy, and the walnut case was surprisingly light).

I also used the same stuff in the bottom of a Lambo 60% case that houses my KBP V60 mini (with LightCycle DSA keycaps), though to be honest, it really didn't need it.

hi - does it sound dampening matters on the case material? ie. plastic vs alum.. and on the type of switches?  ie. mx vs topre

I just picked up a FC660C and a HHKB Pro JP, very interested in my first mod.

Offline zslane

« Reply #770 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 19:31:20 »
I believe it helps a lot with MX switches. Unless you have silent reds/blacks, you will be dealing with bottom-out and upstroke noise, and anything you can do to dampen that is worth doing, IMO.

It isn't nearly as necessary with Topre switches which are soft on bottoming out and silent on the upstroke if you install silencing rings (which I highly recommend). So a NovaTouch doesn't need any sound dampening inside the case, IMO. I don't think an aluminum case will make any difference in that regard, but I won't know for sure until I get mine.

Offline cmc

« Reply #771 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:55:39 »
My Novatouch has Hyperspheres, and it seems to sound just the same in the alumninum case as it did in the plastic case.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #772 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:00:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

GMK Honeywell on a Rapid-i with Kailh Speed Coppers and a Monte Carlo Red Norbauer :)

Wow... just, superb. Nice combo! Fingers crossed that this finish is available for the RF cases... :D
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline superpiya

« Reply #773 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:41:35 »
My galactic blue case has arrived, and it is gorgeous  :thumb:

177592-0

Any suggestions for keycap set, preferably SA ?

Offline autobot

« Reply #774 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:39:16 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #775 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:26:49 »
Hi Norbauer, I keep going back to your GB entry page.  Those photos... I don't think my willpower can hold me back much longer... 

Can you explain the difference between the "medium texture" Enigma Gray and the "wrinkle texture" of Royal Wrinkle?  I love heavy textures, but I'd go for gray over black if the textures are the same/very similar.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #776 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:40:01 »
Can you explain the difference between the "medium texture" Enigma Gray and the "wrinkle texture" of Royal Wrinkle?  I love heavy textures, but I'd go for gray over black if the textures are the same/very similar.

Sure! Happy to help. The main difference you'd notice is in the pattern of the texture. The wrinkle texture is just like it sounds; if you look at it up close you can see very small/fine convoluted lines. The Enigma Gray texture is more just like a random smattering of tiny bumps, which when taken at the macro scale form a bit of texture. The wrinkle is probably a bit thicker, but they're both pretty flat and even than you'd probably imagine for a texture finish, so it doesn't impinge on the clearance area for the keys or anything like that. I hope this makes some sense, but just let me know if you need any further clarification. :)

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #777 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 15:34:37 »

Sure! Happy to help. The main difference you'd notice is in the pattern of the texture. The wrinkle texture is just like it sounds; if you look at it up close you can see very small/fine convoluted lines. The Enigma Gray texture is more just like a random smattering of tiny bumps, which when taken at the macro scale form a bit of texture. The wrinkle is probably a bit thicker, but they're both pretty flat and even than you'd probably imagine for a texture finish, so it doesn't impinge on the clearance area for the keys or anything like that. I hope this makes some sense, but just let me know if you need any further clarification. :)

Okay, then I take it that the feel would be about the same - pretty smooth, maybe with a little more grit/bumpiness for the wrinkle finish.  The main difference would be the visual appearance - either "wrinkly/wavy" or "pitted/sandy" like these two pictures:

Does that sound right?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #778 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 15:42:51 »

Okay, then I take it that the feel would be about the same - pretty smooth, maybe with a little more grit/bumpiness for the wrinkle finish.  The main difference would be the visual appearance - either "wrinkly/wavy" or "pitted/sandy" like these two pictures:
Show Image

Does that sound right?

Yes, that is correct. Those images somewhat exaggerate the texture since they're so magnified, but it conveys the general difference. :)

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #779 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 06:41:17 »
My spacestation white case just arrived.  ;D

177695-0
177697-1
177699-2
177701-3
177703-4

Absolutely stunning how smooth it is as I always thought that powder coating has some form of structure.

Will take some more pictures later when I have put everything together.

Thanks Ryan for this awesome case.  :thumb:

Offline child

« Reply #780 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:40:07 »
By the way, are there any news regarding the replacements for early-caught color problems? If I understood the mail correctly, they should be reaching Norbauer just about now, am I correct?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #781 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:08:59 »
By the way, are there any news regarding the replacements for early-caught color problems? If I understood the mail correctly, they should be reaching Norbauer just about now, am I correct?

There were very few of those, but those anodized cases are actually being packed today at the factory, going out to me in the next few days. As soon as I have them, of course, I'll turn them around within a day or so.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #782 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:10:18 »
My spacestation white case just arrived.  ;D

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Absolutely stunning how smooth it is as I always thought that powder coating has some form of structure.

Will take some more pictures later when I have put everything together.

Thanks Ryan for this awesome case.  :thumb:

Thanks so much! That's why I'm really happy with the powder coating vendor I've finally found. Powder coat does usually have a pretty mottled and wavy texture. To some extent that is an unavoidable inherent part of how the product works, but this place does a great job of minimizing it. :)

Offline braidn

« Reply #783 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 18:34:00 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

This is what I will be pairing with my Galactic Blue this weekend.

Offline superpiya

« Reply #784 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 01:18:20 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

With solarized alpha or yellow alpha?

Offline autobot

« Reply #785 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 06:44:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

IMO, the yellow alphas look like they came from a smoker's home, I'd go Solarized.

Offline superpiya

« Reply #786 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 07:14:28 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

IMO, the yellow alphas look like they came from a smoker's home, I'd go Solarized.

haha, that's a good point.. does Originative SA Solarized pre-order still open?

Offline autobot

« Reply #787 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 07:18:54 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

Yep, still shows as pre-order.
https://originative.co/products/sa-solarized

Offline superpiya

« Reply #788 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 07:36:08 »

(Attachment Link)

Penumbra?

Yep, still shows as pre-order.
https://originative.co/products/sa-solarized

Alright then. Thanks for your help man! Also RIP wallet  :))

Offline poolside

« Reply #789 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 16:26:01 »
I have tried to follow along the best I could forgive me if this has been answered.

I believe originally the cases were going to be sent directly to oco but norbauer elected to personally inspect them prior.  If this is correct have they been shipped to oco yet? 

thanks in advance.

That is correct, and yes, they are on their way to LA now. There was a slight shortfall from the factory for the Originative orders, however, so a few people will have to wait an extra week or two for theirs. I've been so busy today I haven't even had a chance to update Sheraton on all this yet. It's on my list for the evening.  :confused:

Will these few missing Originative cases go through to you as well for additional QC or fly straight from the manufacturer to Los Angeles?

Offline Auk

« Reply #790 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 16:37:28 »
Will these few missing Originative cases go through to you as well for additional QC or fly straight from the manufacturer to Los Angeles?

Ryan is inspecting them. I confirmed yesterday by email that the shipment to make up the shortfall is going directly to him and will include cases ordered from Originative as well as those ordered directly from Ryan.

Offline Miotch92

« Reply #791 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 02:51:56 »
These cases truly look incredible

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline poolside

« Reply #792 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 09:01:08 »

Ryan is inspecting them. I confirmed yesterday by email that the shipment to make up the shortfall is going directly to him and will include cases ordered from Originative as well as those ordered directly from Ryan.

Ok, thanks Auk!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #793 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 10:58:53 »
These cases truly look incredible

Thanks!  :D

Offline losthumans

« Reply #794 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 18:28:25 »
Received mine sooo excited thanks so much truly flawless!!!

http://m.imgur.com/a/ksBnz

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #795 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 19:25:54 »

Wow we're basically keeb brothers I went with maxkey Portland on mine though (black with a novatouch). Did you hypersphere and lube it as well?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #796 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 19:33:19 »

Thanks for the great feedback, and for sharing these awesome photos. :D Glad everything arrived safely.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #797 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:35:50 »
For anyone else who got a Retro case looking for a cable, Zap! cables did a great job matching mine. Used Turquoise paracord with clear techflex.

Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #798 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:38:11 »
For anyone else who got a Retro case looking for a cable, Zap! cables did a great job matching mine. Used Turquoise paracord with clear techflex.

Show Image

Haha. Nice!

Those artisans are also a nice match.

Offline losthumans

« Reply #799 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 23:17:04 »

Wow we're basically keeb brothers I went with maxkey Portland on mine though (black with a novatouch). Did you hypersphere and lube it as well?
No lube but KBDfans silencing rings on the way (already used on an HHKB with huge success). And Portland is niiiiiice!