Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - August - Nominations  (Read 9207 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - August - Nominations
« on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 06:44:04 »
We are still in August (just) so I think it's time for the nomination thread for August's Keyboard of the Month competition!

After a contest between three Noxary X60s, Khers came out on top with his HHKB variant

If you have any questions, please post them in the feedback thread which is still pinned in this subforum, and all the rules can be found in the announcement thread. Nominations will be open for about two weeks, happy hunting!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline clappingcactus

Re: Keyboard of the Month - August - Nominations
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 06:48:58 »
I nominate lishi's friend's Koala

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 07:40:04 »

Show Image

Would you be able to post a link to where it was originally posted on the forum?

Offline yomammary

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 07:43:06 »

Show Image

Would you be able to post a link to where it was originally posted on the forum?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg2483569#msg2483569
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 08:15:24 »

Show Image

My picture itself was the link. :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:07:44 »

Show Image

My picture itself was the link. :P

DAMN YOU CLEVER GUY

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:22:51 »
Nominating these two.

Finished building my Dark Gray HHKB

Finally got a chance to take some pics after building the board this past weekend. The board's been at work for 3 days now, and I've absolutely no complaints.

More
The gasket mounting works wonderfully -- the plate sits nice and tight and makes assembly/disassembly very straightforward. It's a much easier system than the 356 Mini's rubber o-ring wrapped around the PCB+plate assembly. The plates are immaculate, I'm really enjoying the brass so far. I built it with 72g Silent MX Blacks but I think I may switch them out for 65g Vintage MX Blacks for a more raw feel of the brass plate. It's got a great soft touch.

The plate's "wings" that rest on the bottom half of the case are quite large, which gives the plate a large platform to rest on. There are 6 large rubber gaskets that match up with the wings along the front and rear edges of the case. These firmly press the large wings onto the bottom half of the case. The tight fitment of the rubber gaskets on those large mounts seems to add a substantial amount of dampening, but it may be more the brass plate itself given that I don't have any experience with other brass plates -- brass is far denser than aluminum and softer than steel which would explain things. It's a sort of hybrid between a top-mounted plate with no support in the center of the board and tray-mounted rigidity on the edges where the plate is pressed onto the bottom half of the case. I would welcome the opportunity to compare an aluminum plate to the brass one, but for my second plate I opted for a partial polycarbonate which I don't think will offer a fair comparison (though I'm quite excited for the juxtaposition of PCB-mounted switches to the heft of the case).

I'm really surprised at the heft of the board. It's incredibly solid, the board even with an all-aluminum construction feels nearly as heavy as my F107. I'm glad I went with the aluminum mid-layer, I think brass would have been too much for me to lug to work and back, though it surely would have looked extremely nice :))

My only critique is that the seam on the left-hand side of the mid-layer/weight is about 0.5mm off (sticks out) but aside from that everything is totally flush, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The board is a bit higher in the front than other boards I'm used to, as well as a slightly steeper angle (9.5deg if I recall correctly) but it matches the overall styling of the board extremely well. The board looks elegant from afar, but up close it has great no-nonsense desk presence. The top profile of the board isn't flashy in all of the ways I was looking for. No logos, lights, diffusers. Just a nice, flat block of finely anodized aluminum.

Did I mention the navy color is fantastic?

All in all a phenomenal board, riot you should be very happy with what you've created. My hat's off to your design and manufacturer. It was a truly well run buy.

Keycult No.1 by josh, on Flickr

Show Image

Show Image

Please excuse the partially-seated right Shift, it just wasn't pushed down on the right stab all the way XD
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 August 2017, 15:36:56 by xondat »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 20:18:31 »
More

Show Image

More
Nominating these two.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Finally got a chance to take some pics after building the board this past weekend. The board's been at work for 3 days now, and I've absolutely no complaints.

More
The gasket mounting works wonderfully -- the plate sits nice and tight and makes assembly/disassembly very straightforward. It's a much easier system than the 356 Mini's rubber o-ring wrapped around the PCB+plate assembly. The plates are immaculate, I'm really enjoying the brass so far. I built it with 72g Silent MX Blacks but I think I may switch them out for 65g Vintage MX Blacks for a more raw feel of the brass plate. It's got a great soft touch.

The plate's "wings" that rest on the bottom half of the case are quite large, which gives the plate a large platform to rest on. There are 6 large rubber gaskets that match up with the wings along the front and rear edges of the case. These firmly press the large wings onto the bottom half of the case. The tight fitment of the rubber gaskets on those large mounts seems to add a substantial amount of dampening, but it may be more the brass plate itself given that I don't have any experience with other brass plates -- brass is far denser than aluminum and softer than steel which would explain things. It's a sort of hybrid between a top-mounted plate with no support in the center of the board and tray-mounted rigidity on the edges where the plate is pressed onto the bottom half of the case. I would welcome the opportunity to compare an aluminum plate to the brass one, but for my second plate I opted for a partial polycarbonate which I don't think will offer a fair comparison (though I'm quite excited for the juxtaposition of PCB-mounted switches to the heft of the case).

I'm really surprised at the heft of the board. It's incredibly solid, the board even with an all-aluminum construction feels nearly as heavy as my F107. I'm glad I went with the aluminum mid-layer, I think brass would have been too much for me to lug to work and back, though it surely would have looked extremely nice :))

My only critique is that the seam on the left-hand side of the mid-layer/weight is about 0.5mm off (sticks out) but aside from that everything is totally flush, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The board is a bit higher in the front than other boards I'm used to, as well as a slightly steeper angle (9.5deg if I recall correctly) but it matches the overall styling of the board extremely well. The board looks elegant from afar, but up close it has great no-nonsense desk presence. The top profile of the board isn't flashy in all of the ways I was looking for. No logos, lights, diffusers. Just a nice, flat block of finely anodized aluminum.

All in all a phenomenal board, riot you should be very happy with what you've created. My hat's off to your design and manufacturer. It was a truly well run buy.

Show Image

Show Image

Please excuse the partially-seated right Shift, it just wasn't pushed down on the right stab all the way XD

+1 to everything posted
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 21:42:38 »

Show Image

Nominating these two.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More

Show Image

Show Image

+1
+1
+1

And if all these make the final selection I'm not going to be able to make my mind up!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 05:07:38 »
Oh man that navy colour IS fantastic

Offline Felion

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 06:43:53 »
Nominating Khers sleek board (even thou he won last month :) ). WoB FTW!

Original post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg2478938#msg2478938
Show Image

FC660c|RF88UB|HHKB pro2 type-s|GH60 Satans|Model M|Novatouch Alu-Chassi, "type -s"|Whitefox|RSII|V60|Plum84|RC930-87|Ducky3|Minivan|Planck|GH60revC|Pok3r|MF68|Ducky Mini|and more|Likör47 - GeekHack KotM March 2017

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 11:28:15 »
i know it's too plain for a lot of people, but i'll throw in my LZ CLS

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg2481682#msg2481682

Offline richfiles

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 15:06:53 »
+1 on this for the brass plate materials and the interesting mounting method, not to mention the color!  :thumb:

More

Show Image

Show Image

"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 15:15:49 »

Show Image

Oh, this is a nice one. +1
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:00:12 »

Show Image

+1

I like the clean and simple lines :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:19:58 »
Nominating these two.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More

Show Image

Show Image

+1 to both of these boards

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 17:09:36 »
The top profile of the board isn't flashy in all of the ways I was looking for. No logos, lights, diffusers. Just a nice, flat block of finely anodized aluminum.

+1 to that too.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:06:13 »
I'm going to leave this open for another couple of days then we will get to the vote

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:25:07 »

Show Image

Nominating these two.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More

Show Image

Show Image

+1 to these  :p
All the kustom 60s