Author Topic: Tsuka60 - the Katana60 v2 PCB Interest Check [IC]  (Read 68578 times)

Offline Tennstrong

Re: Tsuka60 - the Katana60 v2 PCB Interest Check [IC]
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:07:15 »
Would it be possible to add breakout support for gonnoc's trackpoint module? I feel like this would be nearly the perfect use case on the bottom row. https://github.com/sekigon-gonnoc/LevelConverterForTrackballModule

AFAIK it doesn't require modifications further than the breakout support as the sensor (PAW3204) can rest in a single switch slot, with the module sitting between plate and pcb.

Edit: Changelog for the choco60 to add  https://github.com/shinoaliceKabocha/choco60_track/commit/4ea73b0fdc7a779b506713fedb874a8f848d6bef#diff-ef8462a2fd19505be9b755c3d953a2bc , from what I can tell it didn't require any physical modifications, but I could be wrong

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 19:31:46 by Tennstrong »

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 12:05:47 »
RominRonin, it looks like you have spent lots oftime with a different layouts. I highly inspired with katana60 keyboard. Inspite of the fact I prefer to have an F keys.
I try to do same but with a russian, that cause some more difficulties by the reason of more letters.
Don't you ever think about russian layout?

I took a look at the Russian layout after reading your posts, it's quite complicated!

Honestly, I think the Katana60 is better suited for the Russian layout - you could make use of all those extra keys in the middle of the keyboard for the extra characters.

(Attachment Link)

Hah!

I received the switch plate from laserboost.com today, I have to solder the latest prototype up, but here is what it will look like when it's done:

I have to say I am really loving this bottom row, the thumb keys (inner option keys) are in exactly the right place, so you only need a short extension or contraction of the thumb to hit the neighbouring keys. Very nice.

Once I solder the PCB, re-test it and update the firmware, the board will basically be ready. Unless...

Would it be possible to add breakout support for gonnoc's trackpoint module? I feel like this would be nearly the perfect use case on the bottom row. https://github.com/sekigon-gonnoc/LevelConverterForTrackballModule

Show Image

AFAIK it doesn't require modifications further than the breakout support as the sensor (PAW3204) can rest in a single switch slot, with the module sitting between plate and pcb.
Show Image

Edit: Changelog for the choco60 to add  https://github.com/shinoaliceKabocha/choco60_track/commit/4ea73b0fdc7a779b506713fedb874a8f848d6bef#diff-ef8462a2fd19505be9b755c3d953a2bc , from what I can tell it didn't require any physical modifications, but I could be wrong

Cheers!

I hadn't heard of the trackpoint module, and the few websites I've found are not in English. It looks very interesting, can you please provide more information Tennstrong? Where can I buy one? Does it just fit in an MX sized hole in a switch plate? Does that potentially mean I can place a trackpoint anywhere I want (provided its wired into the controller through the pin breakouts)?

If it really is as simple as this, then I could add a quick update to the PCB before manufacturing, because quite a lot of people were interested in a trackpoint feature. But without more information, or some kind of support on integrating it, I'm hesitant to delay the Tsuka60 much further.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:30:56 »
I hadn't heard of the trackpoint module, and the few websites I've found are not in English. It looks very interesting, can you please provide more information Tennstrong? Where can I buy one? Does it just fit in an MX sized hole in a switch plate? Does that potentially mean I can place a trackpoint anywhere I want (provided its wired into the controller through the pin breakouts)?

If it really is as simple as this, then I could add a quick update to the PCB before manufacturing, because quite a lot of people were interested in a trackpoint feature. But without more information, or some kind of support on integrating it, I'm hesitant to delay the Tsuka60 much further.
That'd be a treat!

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline greenjack

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 04:19:57 »
Honestly, I think the Katana60 is better suited for the Russian layout - you could make use of all those extra keys in the middle of the keyboard for the extra characters.

At the first look i like that square brackets on their place (cause i have there the russian letters), however after some time spent with several version of layouts, I think you're right. The llayout I would go for is mmore close to the katana 60.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 05:44:47 »

That'd be a treat!
Show Image

I'm strangely aroused by this gif

Offline ungarida

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 08:18:43 »
Hi RominRonin,
as you may remember I'm an happy Katana60 owner and really looking forward for a Tsuka60. Please let's make this happen within this horrible year, would be a wonderful good news to re-balance the year.

I was one of the trackball supporters, so I felt to spend some more time researching starting from this page:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsekigon-gonnoc%2FLevelConverterForTrackballModule

I found some interesting Twitter threads:
https://twitter.com/shinoalice_kabo/status/1254796532840189952
https://twitter.com/elfmimi/status/1241640879191805952

Which led me to this blog post which shows a bit more details on such module:
https://blog-eng.yushakobo.jp/entry/2020/04/01/151617

So I asked to https://twitter.com/_gonnoc Twitter account help, let's see if we get some attention.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 08:24:40 »
Hi RominRonin,
as you may remember I'm an happy Katana60 owner and really looking forward for a Tsuka60. Please let's make this happen within this horrible year, would be a wonderful good news to re-balance the year.

I was one of the trackball supporters, so I felt to spend some more time researching starting from this page:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsekigon-gonnoc%2FLevelConverterForTrackballModule

I found some interesting Twitter threads:
https://twitter.com/shinoalice_kabo/status/1254796532840189952
https://twitter.com/elfmimi/status/1241640879191805952

Which led me to this blog post which shows a bit more details on such module:
https://blog-eng.yushakobo.jp/entry/2020/04/01/151617

So I asked to https://twitter.com/_gonnoc Twitter account help, let's see if we get some attention.

That's great collection of resources! Thank you, my friend!

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline ungarida

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 05:36:56 »
This is the online shop https://yushakobo.jp/shop/adtb7m/ where it is available at the cost of ~20EUR ... plus shipment from Japan which does not sound really cheap.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 06:00:41 »
OK, things developed fairly quickly and the Katana60 V2 PCB (aka Katana60 rev2) is now available on candykeys.com.

The PCB manufacture was delayed so long that it caught me by surprise. Until yesterday the latest firmware was not available on the configurator or via the qmk toolbox. That has now been committed, so you can set your layouts online.

All that is left now is the Tsuka60. Time is really tight right now, since I'm preparing for the birth of my first child, but I will post an updated about that as soon as possible.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 10:05:52 »
IT'S HERE!  :eek:   ORDERED! :p

Best of luck with your little one; sleep now, while you still can!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 16:41:45 »
OK, things developed fairly quickly and the Katana60 V2 PCB (aka Katana60 rev2) is now available on candykeys.com.

The PCB manufacture was delayed so long that it caught me by surprise. Until yesterday the latest firmware was not available on the configurator or via the qmk toolbox. That has now been committed, so you can set your layouts online.

All that is left now is the Tsuka60. Time is really tight right now, since I'm preparing for the birth of my first child, but I will post an updated about that as soon as possible.

I see there's a link to QMK toolbox but could you please add all layouts in the store page? I just have forgotten what was all of the possibilities...  :rolleyes:

Offline Sedula

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 17:00:33 »

I'm so thrilled this is still in the works. Good luck with the baby!

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 02:31:08 »
what an interesting customization. the layout is blowing my mind

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 04:53:30 »
I see there's a link to QMK toolbox but could you please add all layouts in the store page? I just have forgotten what was all of the possibilities...  :rolleyes:

OK, first of all, you can see each bottom row in this KLE link, but here is an image to save time:

I can ask David @CandyKeys to add this to the product page.
=====
Edit: The product page has now been updated - thanks @David!
=====

Additionally, just for informing you all: if you go to config.qmk.fm, you can search for the Katana60 rev2 project in the KEYBOARD field, then in the LAYOUT field you can see a list of each layout. When you select a layout from this list, the visible layout beneath it should also update automatically. Here's an image of the page:

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2020, 06:05:04 by RominRonin »

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 05:03:04 »
Just an additional point that is worth mentioning: many of these alternatives overlap each other, which makes the Katana60 difficult to design compared to other standard PCBs. In order to support each of these layouts, I had to rotate some of the switch footprints, which means that for some of these layouts, your switch might be 'upside down' or sideways*. At some point, I should probably upload an image or a guide to show which switch orientation is required for each layout. You can mostly figure this out yourselves when soldering the PCB, but it would be a 'nice-to-have' feature worth delivering imo.

* The rotation makes no difference for MX compatible keycaps, since they will fit anyway.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 21:04:50 »
Hi RominRonin, does the pcb have any form of ESD protection?

Edit: really enjoying this board  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2020, 06:42:01 by x86ect »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 15:40:25 »
Just got my pcb in and it doesnt work with tweezers and the solder mask completely covers the pads on the underside, don't think it can be soldered.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:34:51 »
Just got my pcb in and it doesnt work with tweezers and the solder mask completely covers the pads on the underside, don't think it can be soldered.

The way I was able to get it to work was by melting the solder into the through holes.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:37:11 »

The way I was able to get it to work was by melting the solder into the through holes.
Okay i believe you. Were you able to get any switches to activate with tweezers tho?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline x86ect

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:56:37 »

Okay i believe you. Were you able to get any switches to activate with tweezers tho?

It wasn't flashed with any firmware when I first received it.
After I flashed, then I was able to activate with wire.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 17:08:35 »

It wasn't flashed with any firmware when I first received it.
After I flashed, then I was able to activate with wire.
Pfft maybe i should try flashing it lol. This will be the first pcb out of maybe 15 different ones ive had to flash on arrival.

Offline ThomasK68

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 16:30:37 »
Hi ! I've just bought a KATANA 60 rev2 on CandyKey and I was wondering if I could have a splited symmetrical bottom row ? I saw a lot of pictures on internet with those layouts but I can't find it myself on this post ...

Thank you :)

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 02:18:22 »
Pretty sure the symmetrical split bottom was/is for the Tsuka pcb in development. The Katana v2 added the 7u bottom.

Offline lach64

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 07:07:42 »
how does it feel to game on this?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 04:47:25 »
Hi ! I've just bought a KATANA 60 rev2 on CandyKey and I was wondering if I could have a splited symmetrical bottom row ? I saw a lot of pictures on internet with those layouts but I can't find it myself on this post ...

Thank you :)

as u/lakeboredom said, the only symmetrical bottom row for the Katana60 v2 is the 7u option.

how does it feel to game on this?

Personally I prefer it to gaming on legacy layouts. The keys line up much better and I find that leads to less miss-hits than normal.

For added information, I normally play classic twitch FPS games in the Quake style.

Just a quick fly-by update: I've been busy with real life stuff: I recently became a father and I will be moving to a new house in a few weeks. This project has stalled as a result...

...but there has been some progress regardless:

• The Tsuka60 v1 is ready, I will write a post about some of the caveats (that might deter some people from buying one).
  • I commissioned a special, second version of the Tsuka60 with per-switch LEDs (let's call it the v2) - I had to minimise the bottom row options to 1 layout with slight variations to achieve that.

I'll write a more detailed post about the above soon...

Hi RominRonin, does the pcb have any form of ESD protection?

No, the Katana60 v2 does not have ESD protection built in, neither does the Tsuka60 v1. The v2 Tsuka60 will have it built in.

Pfft maybe i should try flashing it lol. This will be the first pcb out of maybe 15 different ones ive had to flash on arrival.

All new Katana60 orders are pre-flashed with the default firmware. This is partly my fault - I didn't have the firmware ready when the PCBs arrived. I had to update the routing so we couldn't simply re-use the old firmware. But we have compatibility with the online qmk firmware tool and I believe VIA compatibility as well now!

Offline Sedula

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 13:20:41 »
Congrats on the kid and house! Really excited to see the new info when you're able to update us with it.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 15:12:51 »
I actually moved to the new house at the start of this month. All my belongings are in boxes!

I am preparing a prototype order for the LED Tsuka60 I mentioned in my last post. I hope to place that order this weekend, then I'll post photos when it arrives.

Just a quick point about the Tsuka60 design which I'd like to share: anyone who has a Katana60 will know that one of the switches overlaps one of the mounting posts (or standoffs) on a standard 60% case. A simple mod to the switch in that position is required (unless you are using box switches, in which case no mod is required). The modification is to shave the bottom off the switch to that it is fluch with the reverse side of the PCB. With this mod, the PCB rests on the mounting post, no screw is required (without the mod, the post pushes the PCB up where it lines up with the switch).

Well, the Tsuka60 has one or two more switches that overlap with mounting posts, so you have to mod a couple of switches. Personally, I don't mind modding a couple of switches for a build, but I don't know how others feel about this (your feedback would be great btw).

If people don't mind having to do this mod, I can basically move to a GB immediately.

If it's a deal breaker for most of you, then I must either add case design and build to the project, or find someone who can design and build the case for me. I would very much prefer the latter option.

Offline Sedula

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 16:20:34 »
I'm having trouble picturing what you're talking about--can you give an illustration, like photos of this mod on the Katana60?

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:16:34 »
Hiya, is there any plans on making a USB C variant of the Katana60/Tsuka60 PCB?
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 15:09:00 »
I'm having trouble picturing what you're talking about--can you give an illustration, like photos of this mod on the Katana60?

This image is from my Katana60, I've circled the two switches to the left and right of a controller, the right switch has been modded. The PCB will rest on the post (instead of pressing against the switch butt):
https://i.imgur.com/oALJurI.jpg

The Katana60 requires (and has always required) this mod for that switch (unless you're using a box switch or an ALPS switch).

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 15:09:48 »
Hiya, is there any plans on making a USB C variant of the Katana60/Tsuka60 PCB?

One of the Tsuka60 prototypes I'm waiting for has a usb c port. More info incoming.

Offline Sedula

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 10:47:22 »
Got it, thanks! Also, just reiterating my personal enthusiasm for a USB-C connection on the Tsuka. :D

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 13:58:58 »
Got it, thanks! Also, just reiterating my personal enthusiasm for a USB-C connection on the Tsuka. :D

The original Katana60 was always designed with compatibility in mind, to the point that the older USB port was never reconsidered.

The Tsuka60 initially inherited this approach, but then I commissioned the RGB version, in which I also specified a USB-C port.

I am waiting for these prototypes to come through (and get finalised), then I can really push forward with a GB or stock/partnership with a vendor, likely CandyKeys again ;)

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 19:44:12 »
I am waiting for these prototypes to come through (and get finalised), then I can really push forward with a GB or stock/partnership with a vendor, likely CandyKeys again ;)

You mean my Tsuka60 GMK Laser build might become a reality after all? 😭😭😭😭

Offline Sedula

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 14:54:24 »

It's been about seven months—an update on how the prototypes came out?

Offline Sedula

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 14:33:03 »
Just doing my :checks calendar: quarterly poke to see if there's anything to share (even just a "it's on the back burner, but I'll get back to it eventually" would be welcome!).

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 12:55:38 »
Hey. I hope everyone is still here 😅

Had a second baby and some time off work to soak up those emotions. Given the times we’ve all just been through, I hope we’re all still standing strong, physically and mentally.

I’ve recently picked this up again. The good news is that I’m working on another katana60 and, finally, I’m bringing that Tsuka60 to you…

Hot swap
USB C
ESD Protection

I’m currently active on discord, go to the CandyKeys server - there’s a katana60 post on the forum there. link here

All important updates will be posted in both places, and I will keep an eye on this thread too, so if you prefer not to discord, fine.

The hot swap nature means that the bottom row needs to be fixed (though I’m trying to investigate how much overlap you can get away with on hot swap boards - so stay tuned).
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2022, 17:20:19 by RominRonin »

Offline Sedula

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 13:09:12 »
A new baby is the most cromulent reason to drop off for a while, but I'm so excited to see this project is still alive! Looking forward to seeing more updates as things progress.