geekhack Community > geekhack Media

Post your Topre Keyboard

<< < (2091/2120) > >>

Sup:
Bought this old gen 1 Realforce 91 NE0100 from 2004 for 70 Euros from Japan. I restored it since it didn't feel right.

Looks cleanable  :) - tested the keyboard it fully works

:'( Rust

Cleaned the housing

OOF  :blank:

It has some sticky brown stuff on the rubber and the PCB. I guess it must have been soda or something.

Cleaned the PCB and the rubber

Lubed the sliders and the stabelizers. The plate was hard to clean since removing the housing was a bit dangerous since the plastic was pretty old and brittle so i couldn't remove them to clean the plate fully. Housing/sliders also got a nice wash.

End result a very nice 91u with aged variable domes that are pretty nice to type on. :thumb:

nmur:

--- Quote from: Sup on Tue, 31 August 2021, 07:05:00 ---Bought this old gen 1 Realforce 91 NE0100 from 2004 for 70 Euros from Japan. I restored it since it didn't feel right.

Show Image

Show Image

Cleaned the housing

Show Image

Show Image

It has some sticky brown stuff on the rubber and the PCB. I guess it must have been soda or something.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Lubed the sliders and the stabelizers. The plate was hard to clean since removing the housing was a bit dangerous since the plastic was pretty old and brittle so i couldn't remove them to clean the plate fully. Housing/sliders also got a nice wash.
Show Image

End result a very nice 91u with aged variable domes that are pretty nice to type on. :thumb:
Show Image

--- End quote ---

nice pickup mate, good price too

if you're willing, it is possible to restore the plate, however your plate's rust is significantly worse than what I encountered, so the pitting could be quite deep

_rubik:

--- Quote from: Sup on Tue, 31 August 2021, 07:05:00 ---Bought this old gen 1 Realforce 91 NE0100 from 2004 for 70 Euros from Japan. I restored it since it didn't feel right.

Show Image

Show Image

Cleaned the housing

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

--- End quote ---

I recently sanded down and repainted my 87u plate. The rust situation wasn't nearly as bad, but I saw a little bit creeping up in the corners where paint had rubbed away during manu.

Very happy with the final results. Pulling the slide housings off the plate was a pain, but I'd recommend it!

Sup:
Thanks for the replies but, I haven't found any video on how to properly remove the housing from the plate with out snapping the tabs. I tried a bit with one but it felt like the tabs would break since the plastic feels pretty brittle.

_rubik:

--- Quote from: Sup on Tue, 31 August 2021, 10:50:52 ---Thanks for the replies but, I haven't found any video on how to properly remove the housing from the plate with out snapping the tabs. I tried a bit with one but it felt like the tabs would break since the plastic feels pretty brittle.

--- End quote ---

I used the end of a cap puller (soft plastic no ticker than a guitar pick) and gentle pressure to push down one side of the housing. Slight pressure on the other side and bobs your uncle.

I didn't shave off any tabs, but I'm sure some aren't as pristine as before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version