Author Topic: Realforce releasing a Mac edition of the R2  (Read 3551 times)

Offline rxc92

Realforce releasing a Mac edition of the R2
« on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 22:38:23 »
https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/campaign/rf/sale-202005.html?fbclid=IwAR21zogehobGtFJtYo0fS3adWd36caOUSm28ZnYLAFF7ClTqcTb26L0UXH0 
31,350 ($291 today) yen inc. tax for all four models, which are JIS TKL white on silver/black on silver and ANSI TKL white on silver/black on silver. The first 300 orders receive a complementary wrist rest that looks quite different from the original R2 wrist rest; it's pine-looking while the original R2 wrist rest is much darker. 
The differences appear to be in the modifier keys which are Apple-specific, the top plate which appears to be brushed metal (but could just be coated plastic), and the font which imitates those on standard Apple keyboards. 

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: Realforce releasing a Mac edition of the R2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 22:51:41 »
This is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:40:37 »
I hope they start selling the PFU edition in the US.  The non-PFU versions of the TKL Mac Realforce have been out for at least a few months, and a 30g silent version was sold by someone in California on eBay recently.  The regular ones are either 30g silent, which is too light for me, or variable weight non-silent, which I don't particularly like either.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 22:09:01 »
Really now? I was under the impression that you could purchase them in the U.S. via amazon or ebay. 
At the moment proxying would be cheaper than buying them from a local source, but post from Japan to the U.S. has been seemingly completely restricted due to COVID.   

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:16:51 »
You can get the regular non-PFU versions on eBay, but they're around $350, I think.  I emailed Yodobashi Camera a month or so ago about US shipping, and they said that they'd ship one to the US for closer to $300, but weren't sure about shipping times.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:27:01 »
You can get the regular non-PFU versions on eBay, but they're around $350, I think.  I emailed Yodobashi Camera a month or so ago about US shipping, and they said that they'd ship one to the US for closer to $300, but weren't sure about shipping times.

If you don't mind, please keep us posted. I'd be interested in picking one up too.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 14:33:17 »

Hmm, that does seem like a sizable markup. Proxy services like tenso or zenmarket were cheaper for me. Regardless, it remains to be seen when post from Japan will be allowed into the U.S. again.

Offline cameronmcleod71

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 00:59:03 »
I believe that this keyboard has been released in japan for quite some time now, except it has 35g domes. I remember seeing it maybe two years ago

Offline rf86u

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:21:29 »
I use Mac+ karabiner and regular realforce. what's the use of Mac version?

Offline Riverman

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:02:43 »
The benefits are mostly that the keys are labeled properly and the color scheme matches modern Macs.  It would drive me nuts to use a PC keyboard on a Mac that doesn't at least have Command and Option keys on it.  I was pretty thrilled when KBDFans came out with a couple of Topre keycap sets that have Command and Option keys.  I have a set of their 2020 EC keycaps on a Type Heaven on my iMac.  I'd love to have a set of F keys with the Mac shortcut symbols on them.  I also use Karabiner, but heck if I can usually remember what F key goes to what.

Cameronmcleod71, this one's a new version.  The ones that were out a couple of years ago were only available in full-size JIS layouts.  The TKL ANSI version is pretty new, and the PFU version just went on sale this week.