Author Topic: IBM Model M 1391401: Green Alt and SysRq keys  (Read 7986 times)

Offline tehcliff

• Model M Lover
IBM Model M 1391401: Green Alt and SysRq keys
« on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:21:48 »
Greetings.

I did a search on the site for one question I had and could only find a post mentioning it so I'll take the risk of asking here:

On the 1391401, my Alt keys and the 'SysRq' on the Print Screen keys have green text.  The most I found mentioning it said that it was just likely a random custom order for the green keys but searching images online, I can find more examples of this same setup and I wonder why so many people would specify green Alt and green SysRq exactly, if it were just a random customization.

Does anyone know why the text is green on these keys?  Is it random or is there more there?
Cliff

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Re: IBM Model M 1391401: Green Alt and SysRq keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:34:13 »
It is most decidedly not random and in fact, is the standard and normal configuration for the IBM Model M. Anyone saying otherwise should have their driver's license immediately revoked since they are clearly blind.

The reason that SysRq is green is to indicate the modifier pairing. Which is why Alt is green. Alt+PrtScr = SysRq.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline tehcliff

• Model M Lover
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:45:50 »
It is most decidedly not random and in fact, is the standard and normal configuration for the IBM Model M. Anyone saying otherwise should have their driver's license immediately revoked since they are clearly blind.

The reason that SysRq is green is to indicate the modifier pairing. Which is why Alt is green. Alt+PrtScr = SysRq.

That makes perfect sense.  I feel bad that I didn't figure this out.  Thanks!
Cliff

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:58:54 »
There are a lot of Ms out there with black Alt keys.

The green ones are considered more desirable, although I have had several with weak or uneven printing.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tehcliff

• Model M Lover
Re: Re: IBM Model M 1391401: Green Alt and SysRq keys
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 20:48:18 »

The green ones are considered more desirable, although I have had several with weak or uneven printing.
I did look over at my Unicomp when I noticed the green and realized I prefer the green too.

Not to mention I really noticed the difference with the bold on the Unicomp vs the lettering on the 1391401. ???
Cliff

Offline hlehmann

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 14:16:14 »
My model M also came with green keys, did wonder why. now i know. 

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:14:02 »

The black Alt keys are actually more rare, trust me on this one. The standard was green alt. The rare one is the brown Control - believe that was only produced in 1990 and 1991. I have a set of the tri-color (black/green/brown). The only board where you almost never find green alt is the M13; reason being that all M13's are one-piece keycaps because of the G/H/B cutouts.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:04:43 »
That's why I went with a green Esc key. They subtly match.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline Number_25

• http://www.keironoshea.info
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:07:54 »
I quite like the difference in colour.

Offline youxiaojie

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 13:56:11 »
perfect