Author Topic: [IC] Anchor – Volume control with built-in USB Hub  (Read 14042 times)

Offline online

[IC] Anchor – Volume control with built-in USB Hub
« on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 18:13:08 »
Anchor
246366-0
Hi, I’ve been designing a QMK powered volume control pad that has a USB hub built-in.

246368-1
This is a 3 ports unpowered USB 2.0 hub intended for wireless keyboard or mouse receivers, it also able power wired keyboards or mouse with low power consumption.

246370-2
This 48mm knob is selected in the design; it can be replaced with 48mm knob on the market.

246372-3 246374-4
It supports 2u and 2 x 1u configurations.

246376-5 246378-6
Next to 60% and MX Vertical for scale. Dimension TBC.

It constructed with bead-blasted, black anodized aluminium.
Since this could be my first time hosting a group buy, I’m keeping it simple; only one colour will be offered. Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2020, 18:19:21 by online »

Offline meIIow

Re: [IC] Anchor – Volume control with built-in USB Hub
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 18:31:36 »
I love the giant knob and the usb hub. Personally not a fan of the beveled edges. How would this plug in to a computer? would you just connect it to one of the usb ports on the front?

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 18:50:53 »
This is really cool, can’t wait to see how this progresses  :D

Offline spyruf

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 18:51:45 »
I would suggest 3 buttons so that you could program them to play/pause, previous track, next track

Offline niakulah

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 19:58:16 »
1 thing I missed when using a 75% (back on a fullsize now) is being able to quickly and blindly slam on the numpad enter with the thumb of my mouse holding hand.
So this would be nice if the wire could route to the top (knob side) so the button would be on my mouse side.

I'd use 1 USB port for my FIDO authentication key, 1 for easy access to plug in a flash drive and maybe get a short 6 inch cable to plug in my keyboard.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:29:42 »
I see that you mentioned only one color, really no chance to have another one?  (WHITE IS HOT)

This is the knob macro that makes more sense than others to buy, purely because of the usb ports, it would be very sad to have to miss it for the color or just buy it and powder coat it later

Offline Retne

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:26:43 »
I would love one of these if it was a 3.0 hub instead of a 2.0 hub.  The idea is fantastic though.  I could easily see adding this to my office setup once I get back into my office.

Offline online

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:01:36 »
I love the giant knob and the usb hub. Personally not a fan of the beveled edges. How would this plug in to a computer? would you just connect it to one of the usb ports on the front?
There will a mini usb / usb c on the back for connecting to a computer.

Offline online

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:03:02 »
I would suggest 3 buttons so that you could program them to play/pause, previous track, next track

I thought about it, but it'll be too big for 3 ports hub.

Offline glowcloud

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:22:23 »
Ooh, I like this. I often need hubs and the big knob looks great.

Offline online

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:26:47 »
I see that you mentioned only one color, really no chance to have another one?  (WHITE IS HOT)

This is the knob macro that makes more sense than others to buy, purely because of the usb ports, it would be very sad to have to miss it for the color or just buy it and powder coat it later

I'd love to have more colours, finding a manufacturer to produce accurate and even colour anodization is the hardest part of the project, especially in UK, where I'm based in.

I'm considerating powder coating in UK, but the numbers of colours will impact the powder cost if GB order number turns out small.

Also, to keep the cost down, I selected an off the shelf aluminium knob from Aliexpree/Taobao - which you can see in the renders. It will be a mismatch between the case and the knob If I go for powder coating.  I may consider offer case only kit, so they can buy their own knob.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:51:56 by online »

Offline online

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:47:41 »
I would love one of these if it was a 3.0 hub instead of a 2.0 hub.  The idea is fantastic though.  I could easily see adding this to my office setup once I get back into my office.
The intention of the hub is for plugging in wireless mouse/keyboard receivers and place it on the desk where is close to the devices. Think of it's like HHKB built-in USB hub.

USB3 port is not ideal for wireless receivers as it emits frequency that interferes wireless signal. I know it could be plug into usb2 port but It's a new level of complication of making a usb3 hub, like power supply and etc...

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:55:51 by online »

Offline KingsofLeon

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 01:18:58 »
Will this have an additional layer of complexity where this hub can be switched between two or three PCs / laptops? It would certainly add a lot of utility and attractiveness to this product.

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 01:31:19 »
Probably the only good macro pad I've seen.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 04:17:08 »
Now there's this, ROTR, CU7 and Soap in the pipeline.

I am definitely interested, but will only get one of these. USB hub is a plus so I see this as a competitor to CU7 which has gone into radio silence.

2 keys is enough for me  :thumb: I see that as an advantage.

Not a big fan of the beveled edge either, but that's not a deal breaker. This would come down to pricing and when the GB will be available.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:36:09 by harlekein »

Offline alexqueso

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 05:51:56 »

I've been looking at a macropad-hub with knob, and this one is absolutely what i was looking for! Unless is very expensive, i will totally but It if its available.

I recommend you make a post about this on the subreddit of mechkeyboards so people will know about the project!

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:03:03 »
Other color options would be nice,  grey or silver.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:39:45 »
Really interesting project, gonna keep an eye on this one. Good luck!

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 21:37:12 »
What are you planning the mounting be?

Offline desipalen

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 11:21:14 »

Second this. I can never have enough USB 3 ports. Are they just more expensive?

Offline prognostics

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:45:28 »
This looks perfect for me at work, maybe this can be fulfilled before I return to the office.  :p
Definitely interested, watching the thread.

Offline hijris32

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 00:42:00 »

Second this. I can never have enough USB 3 ports. Are they just more expensive?

The issues with this device acting as a USB 3.0 hub were briefly referenced earlier in the thread but to elaborate:

The two main issues are: 1) Power and 2) RF Interference

The power issue is fairly straightforward. If I remember the spec correctly, each USB 3.0 port must be able to supply between 150mA and 900mA of power at 5V. Thus, this device would have to be capable of supplying up to 13.5 watts of power to act as a hub, necessitating an external source of DC power and/or being limited to functioning only when connected to a host device port supporting USB-PD.

The RF interference issue is slightly more complex. There is a known issue with USB 3.0 ports generating interference in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. The OP seems to be averse to the amount of testing that would be required to properly implement an RF shielded USB 3.0 Hub while satisfying the design criterion of "a 3 ports ... USB ... hub intended for wireless keyboard or mouse receivers". There are mitigation methods available which would allow the stated design goal to be realized, but they add cost and implementation complexity.

While it is possible, though poor engineering practice, to simply apply mitigation measures like a fully enclosed receptacle shield and hope they are sufficient, I imagine it would add a not-insignificant cost to have the design properly tested in an RF absorber chamber, likely multiple times during prototyping.

In any case, the RF design considerations necessary to satisfy the original design criterion are non-trivial so I can appreciate the OP's reluctance.

More details on the RF interference issue can be found here, among other places: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Edit: Added a missing preposition.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 July 2020, 13:36:12 by hijris32 »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 05:20:24 »
That makes me wonder how CU7 intends to implement that feature. Or are they overpromising?

Offline hijris32

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 13:44:04 »
That makes me wonder how CU7 intends to implement that feature. Or are they overpromising?

If you're referring to USB 3.0/USB 3.1 support on the CU7, I read that they've dropped that feature in favor of USB 2.0 in the interest of expeditiousness.

Offline cogoo

• StackOverflow
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:18:43 »
All the way in!

Would be cool if this had sufficient weight so that it doesn't slide around the desk easily

Offline K3vrs

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 05:20:49 »
I see big ass knob, I buy big ass knob.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 09:59:05 »
I see big ass knob, I buy big ass knob.

I kinda agree with him

Offline G9Kira

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 20:03:55 »
Once this hits GB I'm instantly hopping on. A usb hub with a knob is what I'm looking for rn.

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 20:30:05 »
Very cool.

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 04:38:50 »
If the usb ports were at the back and more macro keys on top, I would buy it instantly.

I personally don’t have any wireless stuff so that would be just USB cables sticking out the top

Offline stein3

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 00:11:17 »
If the usb ports were at the back and more macro keys on top, I would buy it instantly.

I personally don’t have any wireless stuff so that would be just USB cables sticking out the top
I agree that side-exit USB ports would lead to a cleaner desk arrangement.

Offline alexqueso

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 14:51:30 »
Any news about the project???

Offline pool

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 17:15:23 »
I like the concept, but I also feel like this is trying to be too much at once.

On a user experience perspective, someone may likely have this on the side or slightly above their keyboard. Having a USB dock there, with 2-3 pairs of wires sticking out of it, seems like it will only add to the mess of organization. But maybe I'm also an organization freak.

As another user suggested, having the ports at the back of the macro pad may help neaten this design a bit. I'm personally not a fan of seeing exposed USB ports.

I think this has a lot of potential, but one thing to keep in mind is not try to do too much at once, especially with peripherals like this! Good luck!

Offline sneekypoo

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 20:41:47 »
I did not know I needed this. I'm all in for this.