Author Topic: Keycap & Keyboard Photography  (Read 2183838 times)

Offline PollandAkuma

Re: Keycap & Keyboard Photography
« Reply #5800 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 03:00:10 »
On the topic of photography, is 1300D a good choice for photographing stuff like keyboards and scenery? I've been wanting to get a DSLR for a long time.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #5801 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 04:55:44 »
On the topic of photography, is 1300D a good choice for photographing stuff like keyboards and scenery? I've been wanting to get a DSLR for a long time.
Sure.

But so are most recent DSLR's and Mirrorless models. The advantage of the 1300D is a slightly more balanced lens body if you go for wide angle lenses for scenery but other than that there is not much difference.

I'm still using a 6 year old Sony Nex 5 with one or two good lenses and a tripod.

Especially the Manual 100mm F4 macro I bought off eBay works great for things like artisans. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 04:58:26 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5802 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 05:32:16 »
I don't know what prices are like in London on refurbs, but in the US one can buy a refurb Nikon D3400 with kit lens for around $350.  That's going to give you a better sensor than Canon 1300D has.  If you're on a less tight budget, you should look into mirrorless options too, like Fujifilm (if you can find good used deals), Sony A6000 from a few years ago.  If you did want to get into full frame territory, budget options for under $1000 used would be Sony A7, Nikon D600 (or better D610), Canon 6D.  Fredmiranda has the best online camera classifieds section, which is international.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 05:34:00 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5803 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:18:44 »
I am a camera nut, i have m43, nex, apsc, full frame... Each has its use, but if i would downsize which i haven't (house is full of unused photo gear!) i would let go everything but my full frame pentax which is like medium format quality in my film days, and ricoh GR for street photo and everything else. If i would like to keep my m43 system which i don't, it would be for  expert shooting with multi lenses but i never do that.
On trips i am too lazy to carry it and prefer to chill with ricoh GR because its small and light. If i really want to shoot landscape i take my full frame.
For me dslr apsc is dead a long time ago in ly heart. It always was a compromise since my first body.
Gear is highly personal you gotta do it to know what you like!
Small sensors have their use too especially with macro or product shots!

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #5804 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:27:38 »
woah, there's so many terms I don't know about, should I do more research  :p and fall into the pithole of another hobby. I remember that Yutski has a6000. Mirrorless sounds tempting especially with the more portable body, and the option of swapping lenses sound appealing because I've always wanted to have a camera good enough to take good pictures of the moon. Is it true that Canon and Nikon are the go-to brands for DSLRs? I really do need something to get me started, can someone recommend me something  :)

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #5805 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:59:07 »
woah, there's so many terms I don't know about, should I do more research  :p and fall into the pithole of another hobby. I remember that Yutski has a6000. Mirrorless sounds tempting especially with the more portable body, and the option of swapping lenses sound appealing because I've always wanted to have a camera good enough to take good pictures of the moon. Is it true that Canon and Nikon are the go-to brands for DSLRs? I really do need something to get me started, can someone recommend me something  :)

I have owned an a6000 since Christmas and I am loving it, the form factor and the option to adapt older manual lenses is pretty great.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5806 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 16:05:22 »

Don't get into photo 'GAS', really, it's too expensive, better spend money for abroad trips and cherish your girlfriend! Photo GAS is for married men who have large income. Period. I am not !!
One advice, is to get to know what kind of photo you pursuit the most. All different photo types have their own gear bias.

Golden rule : It's not the gear, it's the photog (short for photographer) who makes a great shot !
2nd golden rule : study the rules of composition !
3rd golden rule : break those rules !

For GAS (buy the cheapest option second hand so you can sell it recouping your costs if it didn't work out) :

-Landscape : get a cheap tripod, an ND filter, study,bring any camera (toy, film, digital, whatever), and buy a train ticket to the sea/mountains
-Street photography : get a Ricoh GR and study the photography of genius Henry Cartier Bresson and the likes.
-Macro photography : get a Rainox macro lens adapter
-Portrait : get a 75mm (or longer, 85mm being ideal) full frame equivalent lens and shoot, shoot and shoot more and study

You can easily get carried away when you buy photo gear. Don't ! Spend your energy making art instead. Make the most of that free digital DSLR your big brother gave you. Even 8 megapixels is plenty and you can achieve art with it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 16:08:53 by orpheo »

Offline ntw

« Reply #5807 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:42:23 »

Aconics Goo by Aaron Ng, on Flickr
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5808 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 05:12:38 »

Don't get into photo 'GAS', really, it's too expensive, better spend money for abroad trips and cherish your girlfriend! Photo GAS is for married men who have large income. Period. I am not !!
One advice, is to get to know what kind of photo you pursuit the most. All different photo types have their own gear bias.

Golden rule : It's not the gear, it's the photog (short for photographer) who makes a great shot !
2nd golden rule : study the rules of composition !
3rd golden rule : break those rules !

For GAS (buy the cheapest option second hand so you can sell it recouping your costs if it didn't work out) :

-Landscape : get a cheap tripod, an ND filter, study,bring any camera (toy, film, digital, whatever), and buy a train ticket to the sea/mountains
-Street photography : get a Ricoh GR and study the photography of genius Henry Cartier Bresson and the likes.
-Macro photography : get a Rainox macro lens adapter
-Portrait : get a 75mm (or longer, 85mm being ideal) full frame equivalent lens and shoot, shoot and shoot more and study

You can easily get carried away when you buy photo gear. Don't ! Spend your energy making art instead. Make the most of that free digital DSLR your big brother gave you. Even 8 megapixels is plenty and you can achieve art with it.

!!! So a camera nut and a woodwork genius is here.

Another question:

Not a beginner, have a Nikon FM2n and Nikon F5, and 10+ most prime Nikkor auto lenses from that era. Never managed to jump onto DSLR yet (have been using the NOKIA-Zeiss phone cameras).
What digital body (used) should I get in order to get most out of what I already have?
I am only interested in full-frame body, absolutely no cropped - that why for the hold-off for such a long time. I am still interested in visiting the darkroom and developing films and prints myself once in a while.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5809 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 08:20:51 »
For you its easy, get a Nikon DF! The lesser Nikon apsc can have problem making vintage nikon glass work as they should, and only the heavy and big pro body accept fully the vintage glass, these and the Df! Should run about 1500€ used. Its quite light at 750g. My pentax k1 is 1kg!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 08:25:40 by orpheo »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5810 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:00:40 »
For you its easy, get a Nikon DF! The lesser Nikon apsc can have problem making vintage nikon glass work as they should, and only the heavy and big pro body accept fully the vintage glass, these and the Df! Should run about 1500€ used. Its quite light at 750g. My pentax k1 is 1kg!

The DF might be one of the sexiest cameras available, I love how it looks.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5811 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:13:24 »
Unfortunately the looks is what it has going for it, but it's pretty limited in most other respects at the price it's still going for. 

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #5812 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:26:06 »

I highly recommend dpreview.com for camera reviews. Canon and Nikon are the big ones, but a mirrorless camera is probably gonna give you plenty of bang for the buck and keep things compact. Your choice of lens is probably gonna be just as important as the camera body.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5813 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:55:04 »
Unfortunately the looks is what it has going for it, but it's pretty limited in most other respects at the price it's still going for.

Nikon D610 or D750 it works fully with AI lenses from 1977 and more recent!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:02:48 by orpheo »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5814 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:59:39 »

I think I looked into the DF a bit and then has been a bit reserved on its specs and 21th century capabilities...
Can't remember so well what those were, e.g. no video?
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5815 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:01:55 »
DF is only 16mp, and no video. Also it was announce like a compact film like DSLR experience and turns out just a full modern DSLR. Anyway, the D610 is the way to go for you, full frame, and you can use all your glass!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5816 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:06:00 »
D750 is great.  D610 would be a great more dudget-friendly option, can be found for $850-ish used.  I would say D600, but that model had a number of issues, after which Nikon released D610 as a replacement.  Not as pretty as the DF, of course.

From what I've briefly read, since I don't use Sony, there are or is an adapter that allows autofocus with Sony bodies, but some people had a problem with it. That was a while ago, maybe firmware updates fixed any serious problems.
https://petapixel.com/2016/11/22/finally-adapter-gives-full-control-nikon-glass-sony-bodies/

Might be worth looking into the latest status of Nikon AF adapters for Sony, unless one doesn't mind using DSLRs.  I'm a complete mirrorless convert now.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5817 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:09:22 »

I highly recommend dpreview.com for camera reviews. Canon and Nikon are the big ones, but a mirrorless camera is probably gonna give you plenty of bang for the buck and keep things compact. Your choice of lens is probably gonna be just as important as the camera body.

It's only my view, but I don't recommend this website. Too much sponsoring for my taste. Good camera get buried in this **** and the big brand get the exposure. Also gear is useless. Just get a Ricoh GR and be done with it. You can shoot anything, and it has macro mode so you can shoot Dat Keyboard P0rn!

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5818 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:13:36 »
D750 is great.  D610 would be a great more dudget-friendly option, can be found for $850-ish used.  I would say D600, but that model had a number of issues, after which Nikon released D610 as a replacement.  Not as pretty as the DF, of course.

From what I've briefly read, since I don't use Sony, there are or is an adapter that allows autofocus with Sony bodies, but some people had a problem with it. That was a while ago, maybe firmware updates fixed any serious problems.
https://petapixel.com/2016/11/22/finally-adapter-gives-full-control-nikon-glass-sony-bodies/

Might be worth looking into the latest status of Nikon AF adapters for Sony, unless one doesn't mind using DSLRs.  I'm a complete mirrorless convert now.

Yes those Nikons look great!
I would love to have a leica Q, mirroless is the futur. Sony has a lot going for it but I choose to stay with my glass brand.
By the way, that adapter is useless with manual mode and manual focuse lenses.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:15:36 by orpheo »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5819 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:45:42 »
DF is only 16mp, and no video. Also it was announce like a compact film like DSLR experience and turns out just a full modern DSLR. Anyway, the D610 is the way to go for you, full frame, and you can use all your glass!

DF for sure looks great, it is an imitation of their classic line flagship F series bodies.
(I am a sucker for any high-tech brand / equipment used in space...)

More

But Nikon should be able to put more than just 16MP and no video on that body - I know MP is definitely not everything but Nokia had that 41MP camera on phone in their collaborative project with Carl Zeiss, it will be a joke using a DSLR with less than 20-24MP.

I just found out that I am keeping a followed search entry on eBay for used D800 but I forgot why I didn't search D750, given both are FF and really quite similar.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #5820 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:12:29 »

I'm not really sure why the first one is so blurry :X
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #5821 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:14:40 »
Jeez, I feel like a newbie again :o You're right orpheo, I really am not gonna afford expensive stuff. I'm really bad at photographing with my phone though, that's why I thought I'd get some gears, ehehe. Where can I study the rules of composition!!! :D At this point I'm so confused I'm wondering if I should just get a Polaroid. I actually never thought about getting a Point and Shoot! I remember my mom bought me this bulky little Canon battery-powered camera for my birthday a long time ago, that was nostalgic. Well, I think any camera is better than my iPhone camera... right?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5822 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:40:27 »
Jeez, I feel like a newbie again :o You're right orpheo, I really am not gonna afford expensive stuff. I'm really bad at photographing with my phone though, that's why I thought I'd get some gears, ehehe. Where can I study the rules of composition!!! :D At this point I'm so confused I'm wondering if I should just get a Polaroid. I actually never thought about getting a Point and Shoot! I remember my mom bought me this bulky little Canon battery-powered camera for my birthday a long time ago, that was nostalgic. Well, I think any camera is better than my iPhone camera... right?

I spoiled myself by getting a full manual film camera to learn how to take photos, but the teacher in my photo class showed us some historically important photos in photo / art history that were taken by dirt cheap really low quality cameras. Taking photos of keyboards and especially key caps can be different though - this is more like product commercial photography, for objects so small and details in a micro scale, good lighting and a way to take macro photos (e.g. an add-on macro lens to iPhone?) can be almost necessary.

So please don't be discourage by an iPhone:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/iphone-photography-awards-2016-winners/

Something even worse, but then even more unbelievable:
More
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:46:02 by menuhin »
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline zslane

« Reply #5823 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:57:09 »
It should be pretty easy to find a decent book on composition, proper lighting, and focus. If you're diligent, you'll find a book that also discusses the art of photography, not just the basic mechanics of capturing a decent image.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but only if it is an image with something to say (other than "here's this thing that exists").

As menuhin points out, it isn't the gear that counts, it's what you do with it.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5824 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:34:44 »
Search on youtube and follow the ones that string your fancy.
You should learn online about :
focal length
exposure
shutter speed
aperture
and depth of field (DOF)

About composition search for :
the rule of third
the golden ratio
black and white photo is actually the best to learn how to compose.

I just found this video, it's pretty good :

Search for photos of Cartier Bresson, he is a genius. Better focus on the fondation of modern photography in black and white.

Many people take photo in color and turn them into B&W. But a real B&W photo is compose differently than a color one. Check the video above, it breaks it down.

And my advice to anyone who wants to shoot and be better and have a versatile and fun camera is to get a Ricoh GR!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:37:21 by orpheo »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5825 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 15:04:33 »
Also, I can always highly recommend this great encyclopedia of a site:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

and especially the "Tutorials" section.  It has the basics of photography and technical information covered in very concise and graphic, easy-to-understand manner.  There's a lot of jargon in photography, and this can be a great reference.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5826 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 15:11:20 »
I didn't even see this until I uploaded it but I love how the colored keys are reflecting light

HHKB Holiday Kit

Show Image

Show Image

I'm not really sure why the first one is so blurry :X

Nice keyboard! I sometimes have this problem with really slow shutter speeds (like 1/5) even on tripods. Try adjusting it a bit maybe.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5827 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 15:57:41 »
It may be a blur from the shutter press movement. Try a two second Self-Timer when on a tripod. If you have a low quality tripod, it will shake when you press the shutter release button !

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ł ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #5828 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 17:18:56 »

Dyed ETF by thosepeoples, on Flickr

Traded away my Robin fugu for a Dyed. As cool as the Robin was the Dyed is just perfect for my layout and I had to have it!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #5829 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 01:46:22 »

DF for sure looks great, it is an imitation of their classic line flagship F series bodies.
(I am a sucker for any high-tech brand / equipment used in space...)

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

But Nikon should be able to put more than just 16MP and no video on that body - I know MP is definitely not everything but Nokia had that 41MP camera on phone in their collaborative project with Carl Zeiss, it will be a joke using a DSLR with less than 20-24MP.

I just found out that I am keeping a followed search entry on eBay for used D800 but I forgot why I didn't search D750, given both are FF and really quite similar.

I have been using a Df for several years and I absolutely love it. It's true that the sensor is only 16MP, but you are getting the same Nikon proprietary sensor and image processor from the D4. Low light performance is nothing short of amazing and I am in love with how it renders colors. I had an opportunity to try a D750 and it is a fantastic camera for the price, but I felt like the saturation and contrast of the raw images were a little lacking by comparison.

I've never felt limited by the Df's "vintage" controls, but I can see how a professional might feel handicapped by it. The only complaint I have is that they did sacrifice some ergonomics in favor of the vintage style, but it's not bad enough to pass up on such an amazing image sensor in a camera that costs less than half what the D4 costs. It is lacking a video feature, but I probably wouldn't use it even if it was there.

One advantage of the Df that I don't see mentioned often is the focusing screen. It has a much finer matte finish which makes manual focusing far easier and more precise, even without a split prism. I can easily use my Zeiss MF lenses without relying on the digital focusing aid or live view.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5830 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 03:53:47 »
If i was a nikon gkass man, i would have a df!

Offline ntw

« Reply #5831 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 05:17:12 »

CMY Goodness by Aaron Ng, on Flickr
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Sempre

« Reply #5832 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 15:32:56 »
I do realize that you don't really need full frame cameras for product photography, but I also take a lot of low light and night time photography. That's why I'm eyeing the D750. In-terms of mirrorless, the Fuji X T20 really intrigues me. I heard great things about the Fuji ecosystem.

Anyway here's my workflow for lubing the Gateron blacks I forgot to include it in the last post

Some pics of the Aristotle board before completion

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5833 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:21:50 »
I use Fuji (have for a couple years) and love it.  Have also used Nikon, Samsung NX, and micro four thirds cameras in the past, but settled on Fuji (and a bunch of Fuji and 3rd party lenses).  I love the silent/full electronic shutter option, large high resolution EVF (X-T1/X-T2), manual controls, etc., etc.  Love the way it preserves tonality really well at higher ISO.  Love being lazy sometimes and using great OOC JPEGs.  I miss having IBIS / prime lenses with OIS.  I also love the X100* series.  I could sell my Fuij stuff and get a full frame camera with a few lenses at the same cost, but unfortunately I just don't want a DSLR anymore, and Sony is not terribly attractive to me.  I dream of Fuji GFX 50S...
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:25:59 by Photoelectric »

Offline lolpes

« Reply #5834 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 06:06:33 »
Some new boards:

"Nothing" - Best keycap ever!

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 May 2017, 06:10:07 by lolpes »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5835 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 13:17:07 »
"Nothing" - Best keycap ever!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The 75% High-Profile frosted case! :D
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #5836 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:40:58 »

XDA Sakura macro shot

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5837 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 19:44:20 »
I do realize that you don't really need full frame cameras for product photography, but I also take a lot of low light and night time photography. That's why I'm eyeing the D750. In-terms of mirrorless, the Fuji X T20 really intrigues me. I heard great things about the Fuji ecosystem.

Anyway here's my workflow for lubing the Gateron blacks I forgot to include it in the last post

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hey! I'm also lubing some Gat blacks =D and adding SIPs.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5838 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 19:45:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Just realized the lube isn't in that picture >_< took that right after disassembly.

Offline PoisonKing

• RIP wallet
GMK Skelebon
« Reply #5839 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 21:42:33 »
GMK Skelebon (Skeletor mods + Carbon alphas) #notdrunk  :p

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: GMK Skelebon
« Reply #5840 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 21:45:43 »
GMK Skelebon (Skeletor mods + Carbon alphas) #notdrunk  :p
Show Image

That combo looks awesome!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Sempre

« Reply #5841 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 03:53:03 »

Show Image

From your setup it's clear you've been doing it longer than me = P
I've also added SIPs, I gotta say I enjoyed a lot more than lubing.

Offline PoisonKing

• RIP wallet
« Reply #5842 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 06:33:46 »
GMK Skelebon (Skeletor mods + Carbon alphas) #notdrunk 
Show Image

That combo looks awesome!
Thanks. I think Skelefuse is better but I don't have Hyperfuse (yet). So yeah, Skelebon for now 😅

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5843 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 20:03:05 »
Not a keyboard or keycaps...

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #5844 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 03:50:03 »
Not a keyboard or keycaps...

Show Image

I need to do mine too soon... not looking forward to it :P

Abel teaser pic:

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #5845 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 16:01:55 »
More Abel pics  :D

Offline rustywok

« Reply #5846 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 17:45:08 »

Last week my old Nikon D80 finally died after 10 years of hard use. I needed another camera, fast, for work, so I picked up a refurbished D3400 off Adorama. It's okay as a backup camera which is what it will be once I get an FX-style Nikon that can get everything out of my 12 Nikon lenses, some from the mid-70s. Six primes and six zooms of varying quality. The Df is one of the Nikons I'm considering. I use manual settings about 90 percent of the time so no problem there. The main thing for me is the quality of the jpgs and the ability to use all that Nikon glass again. Lack of video might be a problem but the little 3400 can do that to a point so I'm covered there. I don't think the 3400 would stand up to day to day usuage in the field though. Not like the old D80 did.

These days I mostly shoot for work "in the field", and amateur level tabletop for fun, mostly with the keycaps I pick up in these sales. I especially want to start using the Micro-Nikkor 55mm prime lens more for keycap photography.   

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5847 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 11:20:59 »
Took a few pics today but it was so cloudy  :'( :'( :'(

Here's a pic of my phantom with a dirty old loaner cap set that I have on until I can find a set for it lol.

Phantom_Dirty_Keyset by DaleSnail, on Flickr

Offline orpheo

« Reply #5848 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:02:26 »

Last week my old Nikon D80 finally died after 10 years of hard use. I needed another camera, fast, for work, so I picked up a refurbished D3400 off Adorama. It's okay as a backup camera which is what it will be once I get an FX-style Nikon that can get everything out of my 12 Nikon lenses, some from the mid-70s. Six primes and six zooms of varying quality. The Df is one of the Nikons I'm considering. I use manual settings about 90 percent of the time so no problem there. The main thing for me is the quality of the jpgs and the ability to use all that Nikon glass again. Lack of video might be a problem but the little 3400 can do that to a point so I'm covered there. I don't think the 3400 would stand up to day to day usuage in the field though. Not like the old D80 did.

These days I mostly shoot for work "in the field", and amateur level tabletop for fun, mostly with the keycaps I pick up in these sales. I especially want to start using the Micro-Nikkor 55mm prime lens more for keycap photography.   

For FX Nikon you have four options, the d610, d750, d810 and Df. All take your vintage glass with no cripple.

Pros:
D610 is the cheapest, smaller and good. 24MP
D750 is better than d610 and the only one with a tilting screen. 24MP
D810 is the most rugged, has 36MP, and the most of the three.
Df is the sexiest. 16MP.

You should verify which one  is anti-aliasing filter free. I would definitely buy wirh that feature is i buy today.

I dont use nikon, i use Pentax. My  K1 is 36MP, has no anti-aliasing filter and is big and heavy all metal body. A beast all weatherproofed.

I would advise you to choose d810 because its the equivalent of K1 and i believe that you have such performance and sharpness it is really a blast to use.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #5849 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:10:42 »
Took a few pics today but it was so cloudy  :'( :'( :'(

Here's a pic of my phantom with a dirty old loaner cap set that I have on until I can find a set for it lol.

Show Image

Phantom_Dirty_Keyset by DaleSnail, on Flickr

white on black is great, you hurt my feelings  :'(