Author Topic: [IC] Project Genesis  (Read 8933 times)

Offline GGKeyboards

[IC] Project Genesis
« on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 21:51:44 »
Hello Geekhack,

Our name is GoodGameKeyboards! We’re very excited to share a keyboard we’ve been working on with you all. Having been in the keyboard community for a few years now, we’ve been able to experiment with a variety of different keyboards trying to find our endgame, as we all do, so we decided to build our own custom keyboard and hopefully, it can be an endgame for you. We genuinely appreciate the design and quality that goes into well-known keyboard creators in the community such as the Fox Labs, Rama, Keycult, Gray Studio, etc. We strive to continue the pattern of innovation and creativity that was established before us. After a lot of hard work, we’ve decided to create a keyboard that has multiple layouts which will give you the flexibility to customize it as you see fit. We’re also focusing on delivering beautiful aesthetics along with a solid compact sound and pleasant typing feel. We hope you can join us in our goal to bring more unique keyboards into the community. We proudly present to you -Genesis-

IC Form: https://forms.gle/JpYeCtocJkf3KzYr8

E-White

267396-0

267398-1

267400-2

267420-3

Champagne Beige

267402-4

267404-5

267406-6

267422-7

Navy Blue

267408-8

267410-9

267412-10

267424-11

Turquoise FE

267414-12

267416-13

267418-14

Layouts

Overview:
Mount: Top Mount
Standard Edition Units: Approx. 350 
Price: TBD
Typing Angle: 7°
Case Variants: TKL and WKL.
PCB Options:Soldered(ISO/ANSI), Fixed HotSwap(ANSI).
Firmware: QMK with VIA support.
Compatible Switches: MX-style switches.
Case color options: E-White, Obsidian Black, Champagne Beige, Navy Blue.
Weight options/finish: Brass (brushed)
Plate Material: Brass, Aluminum, Polycarb,POM(TBD)
Brass Plate finish: Brass (brushed)
Aluminum Plate finish: Anodized Silver

Founders Edition Options
Mount: Top mount
Estimated units: Aprox. 100
Price: TBD
Case Type:TKL (WKL TBD)
PCB Options:Soldered(ISO/ANSI), Fixed HotSwap(ANSI)
Firmware: QMK with VIA support.
Compatible Switches: MX-style switches.
Case color option:Turquoise
Weight option/finish: Polished Aluminum
Plate Option: Polished Aluminum

Keep in mind this is an interest check. Nothing, including options, pricing, etc, is final until the GB starts. This IC represents the most correct, up-to-date information we have regarding Genesis at this time. Based on prototyping and manufacturing samples, some things may change. We will be announcing any changes, if any, on Discord. https://discord.gg/STtPeKezyx
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:15:13 by GGKeyboards »

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
Re: [IC] Project Genesis
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 21:55:06 »
Where is the keyboard
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline derpter

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 21:56:24 »
It's beautiful! What a great looking board.

Offline ManoliVisuals

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 22:55:15 »
Big fan of the bezels on this

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 23:03:42 »
uh, I assume a prototype is already in the works right?

Offline P103

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 23:37:34 »
Any introduction for the team behind ggkb.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 23:53:01 »
imo this initial IC post does not inspire confidence

Offline slg1993

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 00:30:34 »
why does the standard edition have a brass weight but the founders edition has an aluminum weight??

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 02:01:37 »
why does the standard edition have a brass weight but the founders edition has an aluminum weight??

Because they have no f**king clue what they are doing :)

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 02:58:06 »
renders look clean and the keyboard design looks nice. but i agree there are some strange things such as the founders edition being more limited yet having less expensive metal. that being said i read outside of keyboards that 'founders edition' doesn't necessarily mean something is more limited / premium. glwic

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 08:06:02 »
Like the look of the renders. Best of luck with IC

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 08:19:00 »
Too many units
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 08:38:28 »
the placement of the rubber feet has given me an aneurysm
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 09:09:09 »
it's interesting how much negativity has been going around this messageboard lately. all it takes is 1/2 negative comments and the damn seems to be broken and people flood in to relieve themselves.
you wouldn't know it from my smurf account here but having the perspective of what it was like 10 years ago this is.. different.

I for one like the design, I really like the champagne/eggshell color finish with the nicely polished brass. The engraving I'm not too sure about but I'm looking forward to seeing images of the protos so I can better judge that.  :thumb:

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 09:23:50 »
it's interesting how much negativity has been going around this messageboard lately. all it takes is 1/2 negative comments and the damn seems to be broken and people flood in to relieve themselves.
you wouldn't know it from my smurf account here but having the perspective of what it was like 10 years ago this is.. different.

I for one like the design, I really like the champagne/eggshell color finish with the nicely polished brass. The engraving I'm not too sure about but I'm looking forward to seeing images of the protos so I can better judge that.  :thumb:

Too many keyboard people that
1. Cannot run group buys due to scale/too much commitment
2. No experience in group buy
3. New to the hobby - easy to be scammed

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 10:35:38 »

I assume they are similar in cost to manufacture since the aluminum is polished.  Cheaper metal, longer time to finish and QC.  FE because it's a certain look, not for the premium materials here.  Also, in the renders, there is an engraved detail on the corners of the weight on the FE. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 10:47:20 by pixelpusher »

Offline Tekkium

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 15:04:28 »
What is the mounting style. I might be blind but I cant find that info.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:45:10 »
What is the mounting style. I might be blind but I cant find that info.
There is an exploded view in the IC (idk why its not in the actual post) which looks like its top mount.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:47:15 »
Where is the keyboard
Post has been updated  :)

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:48:33 »
It's beautiful! What a great looking board.
Thank you so much!

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:49:38 »
Big fan of the bezels on this
Thank you! We wanted it to have a unique look.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:51:18 »
uh, I assume a prototype is already in the works right?
Yes. the prototype is already in the works.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:56:33 »
to follow up on what pixelpusher said, The idea is to have complementary colors. The engraved design will be silver which will also match the weight. We don't feel brass will achieve the look we are going for.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:57:47 »
Like the look of the renders. Best of luck with IC
Thank you!

Offline heavihands

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:58:16 »
 Perfectly balanced weight over the rear foot for that seesaw typing experience.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:00:10 »
This is the first time I've laughed out loud at a keyboard design. Really, it's funny.

That center-most rubber foot is spaced about 160:100 from front:back, right? You might want to check the center of mass of the keyboard, especially with that lovely hunk of brass at the back. It'd be a shame if all 450 production units started wobbling about everywhere, wouldn't it?

We strive to continue the pattern of innovation and creativity that was established before us. After a lot of hard work, we’ve decided to create a keyboard that has multiple layouts which will give you the flexibility to customize it as you see fit. We’re also focusing on delivering beautiful aesthetics along with a solid compact sound and pleasant typing feel. We hope you can join us in our goal to bring more unique keyboards into the community. We proudly present to you -Genesis-
Ok so innovation is doing a less-pretty version of the KMAC, top mount only (the KMAC had multiple mount options back in the early 2010s!), with a brass weight design nobody's ever seen before anywhere, topped with your patented SeeSaw Tactile Enhancement Rubber Foot System and an ugly engraving? I'm sold dude. Oh, and the whole multiple layout idea? Incredible. Why's nobody thought of this before? The corporate wording doesn't make me sick to my stomach or anything like that either.

Beat me to it :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:01:46 »

Thank you so much for your feedback! We figured that you can't please everyone but we are excited about this project. the prototype is in the works, we will keep updating very step of the way.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:04:44 »
As this is an IC, any issues that come up while we have the prototype will be adjusted.

Offline GGKeyboards

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:10:36 »
This is the first time I've laughed out loud at a keyboard design. Really, it's funny.

That center-most rubber foot is spaced about 160:100 from front:back, right? You might want to check the center of mass of the keyboard, especially with that lovely hunk of brass at the back. It'd be a shame if all 450 production units started wobbling about everywhere, wouldn't it?

We strive to continue the pattern of innovation and creativity that was established before us. After a lot of hard work, we’ve decided to create a keyboard that has multiple layouts which will give you the flexibility to customize it as you see fit. We’re also focusing on delivering beautiful aesthetics along with a solid compact sound and pleasant typing feel. We hope you can join us in our goal to bring more unique keyboards into the community. We proudly present to you -Genesis-
Ok so innovation is doing a less-pretty version of the KMAC, top mount only (the KMAC had multiple mount options back in the early 2010s!), with a brass weight design nobody's ever seen before anywhere, topped with your patented SeeSaw Tactile Enhancement Rubber Foot System and an ugly engraving? I'm sold dude. Oh, and the whole multiple layout idea? Incredible. Why's nobody thought of this before? The corporate wording doesn't make me sick to my stomach or anything like that either.

Beat me to it :))
Thank you for your concerns about the spacing and your feedback. As things move foward, we will adjust as needed.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:14:45 »
Good response.

Present a turd, let the crowd polish it. Call it innovation while you're at it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:27:04 by Photekq »
github

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 18:23:37 »
Good response.

Present a turd, let the crowd polish it.

Sometimes I stroll past the scene of the crime and backtrack
Whoa, Why the situation go down like that?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 19:05:03 »

Good response.

Present a turd, let the crowd polish it. Call it innovation while you're at it.

Good response.

Present a turd, let the crowd polish it.

Sometimes I stroll past the scene of the crime and backtrack
Whoa, Why the situation go down like that?

Lol, clearly this guy is probably having a mid-life crisis or something to wake up so angry about a keyboard. Definitely getting old and grumpy. The guy said "a less pretty version of the KMAC". This board could be a 'less pretty' version of anything but specifically picked out the KMAC for no reason other than to say "hur dur I know keybordzz btw I'm old, show respect". There is nothing here that even hints that the KMAC was considered in this design. What a cringe comparison, especially when paired with such arrogance and rudeness. While the foot design is kind of dumb, obviously the guy is buying a prototype and would fix the feet if it causes problems, no one is idiotic enough to buy 450 boards without a prototype. In fact I'd say it's pretty idiotic to assume someone would do that.
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 19:11:17 »
Lol, clearly this guy is probably having a mid-life crisis or something to wake up so angry about a keyboard. Definitely getting old and grumpy. The guy said "a less pretty version of the KMAC". This board could be a 'less pretty' version of anything but specifically picked out the KMAC for no reason other than to say "hur dur I know keybordzz btw I'm old, show respect". There is nothing here that even hints that the KMAC was considered in this design. What a cringe comparison, especially when paired with such arrogance and rudeness. While the foot design is kind of dumb, obviously the guy is buying a prototype and would fix the feet if it causes problems, no one is idiotic enough to buy 450 boards without a prototype. In fact I'd say it's pretty idiotic to assume someone would do that.
Nah, you're reading too much into it. I just found the mention of innovation and creativity funny considering how derivative and poorly thought through the keyboard is. I've got no issue with derivation within designs; it's natural and it'll always happen, everyone's influenced by something. But combine those two lovely buzzwords with the design at hand? It's laughable. You shouldn't have to wait for the first protos to get the rubber feet positioned in such a way that the keyboard will sit flush with the desk reliably and consistently.

P.S I only mentioned the KMAC because it's the first wedge-style case that comes into my old and grumpy head. There are plenty of others I could've named.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 19:36:49 by Photekq »
github

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 19:14:14 »
Why is it that Design Collectives™️ are never people that introduce themselves individually or have previous projects to point to?

On top of everything else said above, TKL mounting points are pretty standard, you should look at a TKL plate some time. That under-spacebar mounting point especially.

Offline peaceperfection

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 10:47:42 »
Wouldn't that scratch the weight?