Author Topic: [IC] Dusk - An Elegant Dark-Colorway Keyset [GB NOW LIVE!]  (Read 643220 times)

Offline hippo008

[IC] Dusk - An Elegant Dark-Colorway Keyset [GB NOW LIVE!]
« on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:24:54 »
Dusk.
An elegant, simple, dark themed keyset in Signature Plastics SA profile. I hope you like it!

Shes Finished!

the final plan is all set. Just waiting on some mockups

Thanks to everybody who stuck around this long

TKL Complete Set. Alphas, Mods, & Color Kit
http://bit.ly/1ictWG9    -    GEW, BED, BBJ Legends, SA family: TKL Base kit

Official Color chips from Signature Plastics

Color Charts from Signature Plastics-
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG - Blues
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absgray.jpg - Greys

-----Main Kits-----

Alphas
http://bit.ly/1KmNtif

Modifiers
http://bit.ly/1Y5JXyP

-----Child Deals-----
Ergodox Kit
http://bit.ly/1VZ2ISy

Keys will be fully sculptured.

Additional Mods Kit
http://bit.ly/1NA1jQT

Mod sizes are 1.5u and 1u, with spacebars being 7u & 6.5u

Numpad Kit
http://bit.ly/1KPpjiD

The "+" And "Enter" keys will both be SA R3

Planck + Atomic Kit  - 
http://bit.ly/1NsHf1i

ISO Kit -
http://bit.ly/1J8VNNi

Color Kit / Mod kit
http://bit.ly/1LdoQVZ

On the business side of things its all good! This set is finalized and ready to go./size]

-----Additional information-----
The caps are set to be made out of Doubleshot ABS plastic.

The keys will be SA family

These keycaps will be made for Cherry MX Stems only

International shipping will be included in this group buy.

This set will run with the new row 4 shift molds Oobly recently announced. The set will be a true fully sculptured SA set.

Thanks everybody for sticking around this long. I hope you all like the set.

Hippo-

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 11:24:26 by hippo008 »

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [IC] Minimalist Dark Themed Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 21:28:33 »
Interesting first post...very ambitious...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline hippo008

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:03:09 »
thanks for looking!

This type of project im fortunately not entirely in the dark on, I have a small bit of experience with large order shipping, importing, and group buys. For a while I was very involved in the Amiibo collecting crowd. I managed a small home run importing business based off of them. I was often dealing with importing a few hundred Amiibos or games at one time through EMS from Europe or Japan to my American customers who wanted rare or hard to find Amiibos. Im hoping the small amount of experience I gained from my little operation will be enough to ease this sort of process.

And I have to ask, what did you think of the keys? Im new to the whole keycap world, i'm not sure what everybody is into and excited about.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:26:31 »
As long as the contrast shows up well enough, I think the 3rd would be pretty cool.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:33:05 »
Looks like a very similar colour palate to calm depths (which was done in SA). Not exactly the same, but likely to appeal to the same sort of crowd. Personally, I prefer calm depths colours to any of these three options.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:36:45 »
Welcome to GeekHack! It's cool that you want to hit the ground running, and your keyset looks very nice. Something that comes to mind, though, is that many folks may be understandably reluctant to fork over cash to a brand-new forum member with a low post count and no track record. If you really want to see this keyset made, it might be good to look into running it through SP's Pimp My Keyboard site. That way you're backed by Signature Plastics' credibility, since they handle payments and fulfillment.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hippo008

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:35:33 »
Looks like a very similar colour palate to calm depths (which was done in SA). Not exactly the same, but likely to appeal to the same sort of crowd. Personally, I prefer calm depths colours to any of these three options.

its very much inspired by the clam depth set! I liked a lot of what the calm depths keyset brought to the table, as well as sets like deep space and miami. However only Deep Space is available new as far as im aware, and Deep Space is rather different than this set and Calm Depths. Also I wasn't much of a fan of the family of keycaps nor the legends of any of those sets. Im hoping my keyset attracts a similar crowd, but also differentiates itself from sets like calm depths into its own form. Id really like to hear some of your and everyone elses inputs on colors. Im happy to tweak and change things around! Thanks for the reply
EDIT: availability of sets. My mistake.

Welcome to GeekHack! It's cool that you want to hit the ground running, and your keyset looks very nice. Something that comes to mind, though, is that many folks may be understandably reluctant to fork over cash to a brand-new forum member with a low post count and no track record. If you really want to see this keyset made, it might be good to look into running it through SP's Pimp My Keyboard site. That way you're backed by Signature Plastics' credibility, since they handle payments and fulfillment.

I agree with this entirely. People have no reason to put their trust in me. However I really do want to be actively involved. An option is if another active forum member wouldn't mind managing the Paypal account, ill manage the shipping and invoicing? Vise Versa maybe? Whatever it may be, I still want to be involved somewhere down the line. Thanks for replying!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:40:16 by hippo008 »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:38:21 »
I took a more detailed look at what you're proposing for logistics.

The reason a group buy is run is usually to get prices as low as possible. If you want to artificially limit the number of sets to ~50, you run the risk of having a double problem: You have more people who want to get into the buy than you have sets and problems are caused, and you miss out on potential lower prices for the community due to economies of scale at higher quantity price breaks. If you take a look at some of the other keyset buys run through SP, many of them have price tiers for different kits, and quite often the savings moving from 50 to 75 sets is significant.

Another thing that comes to mind is if you want all your caps to be mono-legend, that could require new legends to be cut. I don't know how many of those legends would be available, but worst-case scenario is you're paying for 20 new legends to be cut (21 if SP doesn't have "escape", I know they have "esc" though). Legends, IIRC, cost $40 or so per key, so that could be around $850 in up-front costs that you'd have to either eat yourself, or spread across the cost of the sets -- increasing the average price of each set by $17, if you do only 50 sets. Here's another argument for opening the set up to as many buyers as possible.

Now, I'm not trying to discourage you from running the set, but I would suggest that you do some more planning before you move forward planning on a small number of sets. Once you know if there is enough interest in the concept to make more effort worthwhile, I would get in touch with SP. You'll want to ask about any legends you want to use that aren't 100% standard, and see if you can figure out what exists, what doesn't, what you can make (and what you maybe can't), and the process to make new legends, if necessary. Note also that available legends will vary by the key profile you choose. Keep price in mind as well here -- every new legend you make adds a cost to the set, every key you add adds a cost to the set, and if the price goes too high, or if there aren't enough keys to cover common layouts, you'll have a very hard time getting orders.

There have been successful group buys for 60% only sets before (Nostalgia set), but that set was compatible with much more than just an ANSI 125 board, which is what you've mocked up. If you want to be successful, you need to strike the balance between appealing to a wide enough audience to get prices low enough that everyone can justify the purchase, and including few enough keys that the set does not spiral out of control.

Most of this has been largely stream-of-thought, but the point I'm trying to get across is that it can be complicated to design a key set, as much if not more so than handling the shipping and distribution.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:52:45 »
Interesting first post...very ambitious...
yes indeed.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:00:34 »
Out of sheer curiosity, is there a reason that you want to do this the hard way and not just run these sets through the IC stage with hopes to get it in the new PMK store when that opens back up, hopefully sometime in September? Unlike other manufacturers, say GMK, PMK has made it relatively easy to run group buys through their store (though I know we are all waiting to see just how details of the new store end up working).

As user 18 mentioned, there is a lot more that goes into sets than just basic color schemes. Some child deals will inevitablynt to  need to be made to draw a large enough crowd to bring the price down to a reasonable number. Also, is there any reasoning behind catering to only 60% keyboards? I know personally even if I buy a set with the intention of throwing it on one of my many 60% keyboards, I'll still make sure to buy everything I need for a TKL, often a TK just in case I want change it up down the road. For me, having that flexibility is really what makes sets worth it to me.

Just some things to think about. Should you need any direct or specific help feel free to ask.  :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:02:37 »
One last thing!

Take screen shots of your renders while you're still using KLE, upload them to imgur (or something similar) and add them to the OP using BBC code, that way we can see all of the renders side by side without having to click on the links. The ability to update the OP as things progress and show images in posts are some of the major reasons why running an IC/GB is better to do here, than say reddit.

Offline hippo008

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:03:00 »

The reason a group buy is run is usually to get prices as low as possible. If you want to artificially limit the number of sets to ~50, you run the risk of having a double problem: You have more people who want to get into the buy than you have sets and problems are caused, and you miss out on potential lower prices for the community due to economies of scale at higher quantity price breaks. If you take a look at some of the other keyset buys run through SP, many of them have price tiers for different kits, and quite often the savings moving from 50 to 75 sets is significant.

Another thing that comes to mind is if you want all your caps to be mono-legend, that could require new legends to be cut. I don't know how many of those legends would be available, but worst-case scenario is you're paying for 20 new legends to be cut (21 if SP doesn't have "escape", I know they have "esc" though). Legends, IIRC, cost $40 or so per key, so that could be around $850 in up-front costs that you'd have to either eat yourself, or spread across the cost of the sets -- increasing the average price of each set by $17, if you do only 50 sets. Here's another argument for opening the set up to as many buyers as possible.

Now, I'm not trying to discourage you from running the set, but I would suggest that you do some more planning before you move forward planning on a small number of sets. Once you know if there is enough interest in the concept to make more effort worthwhile, I would get in touch with SP. You'll want to ask about any legends you want to use that aren't 100% standard, and see if you can figure out what exists, what doesn't, what you can make (and what you maybe can't), and the process to make new legends, if necessary. Note also that available legends will vary by the key profile you choose. Keep price in mind as well here -- every new legend you make adds a cost to the set, every key you add adds a cost to the set, and if the price goes too high, or if there aren't enough keys to cover common layouts, you'll have a very hard time getting orders.

There have been successful group buys for 60% only sets before (Nostalgia set), but that set was compatible with much more than just an ANSI 125 board, which is what you've mocked up. If you want to be successful, you need to strike the balance between appealing to a wide enough audience to get prices low enough that everyone can justify the purchase, and including few enough keys that the set does not spiral out of control.

Most of this has been largely stream-of-thought, but the point I'm trying to get across is that it can be complicated to design a key set, as much if not more so than handling the shipping and distribution.

This is all very good information, and Im happy you brought some of this to my attention.

Ive had a foot in the door at Signature Plastics for a while now, over a month in reality. Ive sent in a few different requests for quotes for various ideas, just to see what could actually be done and what couldnt. This particular set poor Melissa has been hearing about for a while now. Things like legend spacing and capabilities have been discussed, and they are all well within the capabilities they possess. However the Escape key actually saying "escape" and not esc, has not been discussed at all. I suggest you're right, they most likely don't have the tooling on hand. However I will be following up on that shortly.

The case of the artificial cap in this case really is only for Melissa's sake. I originally put in ideas about other sets with group buys in mind, practically destroying the poor girl asking for quotes at every conceivable pricing tier, and that just wasn't fair. For this (hopeful) project, I put a 50 set cap on as a soft cap, and as a reference. So when Melissa gets back to me with an official quote, I can officially say, "Hey guys, if 50 people are interested and order, this is what pricing would be." At that point If there was more interest, I would address the community about tiers of pricing as you suggested, and return to Melissa for quotes at tiers we all can agree upon. Ill update my OP with this info, im sorry if that was confusing to you all.

About the physical layout. Im more than happy to mockup MORE layouts, including ISO layouts if people express interest for those things. However, no-one really has yet. However, i did have a request for a planck layout, so ill be mocking that up relatively soon.

Again it was very helpful for you to bring all of that to my attention. I like the input and its helpful going forward with the (hopefully) upcoming stages.

Angus-

Offline harlw

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:07:37 »
I'm a fan of calm depths and colorway #1 in SA would be lovely. Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:15:49 »
More

More
This is all very good information, and Im happy you brought some of this to my attention.

Ive had a foot in the door at Signature Plastics for a while now, over a month in reality. Ive sent in a few different requests for quotes for various ideas, just to see what could actually be done and what couldnt. This particular set poor Melissa has been hearing about for a while now. Things like legend spacing and capabilities have been discussed, and they are all well within the capabilities they possess. However the Escape key actually saying "escape" and not esc, has not been discussed at all. I suggest you're right, they most likely don't have the tooling on hand. However I will be following up on that shortly.

The case of the artificial cap in this case really is only for Melissa's sake. I originally put in ideas about other sets with group buys in mind, practically destroying the poor girl asking for quotes at every conceivable pricing tier, and that just wasn't fair. For this (hopeful) project, I put a 50 set cap on as a soft cap, and as a reference. So when Melissa gets back to me with an official quote, I can officially say, "Hey guys, if 50 people are interested and order, this is what pricing would be." At that point If there was more interest, I would address the community about tiers of pricing as you suggested, and return to Melissa for quotes at tiers we all can agree upon. Ill update my OP with this info, im sorry if that was confusing to you all.

About the physical layout. Im more than happy to mockup MORE layouts, including ISO layouts if people express interest for those things. However, no-one really has yet. However, i did have a request for a planck layout, so ill be mocking that up relatively soon.

Again it was very helpful for you to bring all of that to my attention. I like the input and its helpful going forward with the (hopefully) upcoming stages.

Angus-

Collapsed quotes so as not to stretch the page.

Glad you'd thought of some of it already! I'm sure as more people discover this thread, there will be more interest and more suggestions.

I wasn't confused myself, so much as wanting to make sure you had all the information (and I by no means guarantee I covered everything!). I've seen a few buys collapse because the organizer didn't have the time or inclination to give the planning the attention it deserved, and I'm glad that you're already demonstrating your willingness to put in the effort.

Offline hippo008

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 01:32:46 »
Out of sheer curiosity, is there a reason that you want to do this the hard way and not just run these sets through the IC stage with hopes to get it in the new PMK store when that opens back up, hopefully sometime in September?

Yes, there's a very specific reason. I have always loved creating something. While i may not be the one cutting the keys, injecting the plastic, or making the dyes, the sense of accomplishment and reward of loving something enough to bring it to reality is my drug of choice. In fact i'm making a career out of it as an industrial designer.

Sure I could do it the easy way, but wheres the soul? When this things all said and done, ill be able to call this keyset mine. That's why I'm choosing to do it the hard way, and thats why im doing this project as a break even affair.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:20:09 »
I tried to look but the links are being blocked as an XSS attack (I've used the layout editor before, never had this problem - aren't updates great?!) so I second the need for screenshots so I can give an opinion :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hippo008

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:33:53 »
I tried to look but the links are being blocked as an XSS attack (I've used the layout editor before, never had this problem - aren't updates great?!) so I second the need for screenshots so I can give an opinion :)

Sorry About that! Was at work and wasnt able to get working on fixing those links.
In the OP theres now a link to the keyboard layout editor through bitly, and a direct image through imgur.

Tell me what you think!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:39:00 »

I agree with this entirely. People have no reason to put their trust in me. However I really do want to be actively involved. An option is if another active forum member wouldn't mind managing the Paypal account, ill manage the shipping and invoicing? Vise Versa maybe? Whatever it may be, I still want to be involved somewhere down the line. Thanks for replying!
[/quote]

Maybe. Again, you may have a hard time finding an old-timer willing to put their reputation on the line for a buy where a newbie is responsible for fulfillment.

I think the best advice is, don't rush things. Keep moving forward with the planning stages...things like finalizing colors, determining costs for custom legends, possible child packs, etc. Take your time with this, while at the same time staying active in the forum. Get that post count up (quality posts, of course) and allow some time for folks to get to know you. In a few months when you've ironed out all the details and generated a bit more interest in this keyset, you'll probably be in a better position of trustworthiness.

And finally, make sure to heed the advice of group buy veterans here on GeekHack and elsewhere. I have yet to helm a group buy myself, but I've spent plenty of money on them. I've seen GB organizers who do an amazing job addressing suggestions and criticisms, maintaining a good balance between cost and compatibility (this is different in every buy). These are the best buys because everyone enjoys the process, and the GB thread is actually fun and exciting to read and participate in, especially in the final hours of a buy as all those last-minute orders start pouring in.

So, keep doing what you're doing, enjoy the community here at GH, and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hippo008

Re: [IC] Dark Themed Keycap Set
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:23:29 »
Thanks for the advise, im really hoping to get into the scene here. Seems like a good place to be

Offline hippo008

Re: [IC] Dusk - An Elegant Dark-Colorway Keyset [updated]
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:46:36 »
bump

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:23:34 »
Sexy. I'd hit it.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 19:14:26 »
Nice!

The one thing that is really missing is 1.5 Ctrl and Alt kits for winkeyless keyboards, 7U spacebar, and a 2U and 1.75 shift key.

Then it would be perfect!
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline andysun

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 19:54:41 »
Nice!

The one thing that is really missing is 1.5 Ctrl and Alt kits for winkeyless keyboards, 7U spacebar, and a 2U and 1.75 shift key.

Then it would be perfect!

Add 1.0 Fn keys and that's it. Really like the colour scheme and love the SA profile idea.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 20:59:58 »
Color scheme is rather pleasing (huge blue fan).  I've been wanting to get a set of SA keycaps to try.  This one looks solid.

Offline FunkMasterJ

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 21:18:13 »
Reverse calm depths. Definitely

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 21:19:29 »
Nice looking set, but as 18 said, make sure you know what you're getting into. Good luck though, I hope you have success!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 21:29:11 »
I would for sure be interested in these. That being said, I would feel more confident going through someone that has done them before. If this ran through PMK or Massdrop, I would join without hesitation.

Offline malaik0

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 22:09:04 »
nice  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline hippo008

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 23:48:18 »

Out of curiosity, do you mean this in a negative or positive way?

I really do love the blue blue grey theme, especially in darker tones. I tried to differentiate, but is it maybe too similar?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 04:20:01 »
Making the ergodox side mods all R3 to maintain legends is absolutely a mistake, IMO. It will clash badly with the higher profile alphanumerics. Just leave them blank.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Ywg

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 03:58:03 »
Why is the "menu" key replaced by a "Fn" modifier ?

Also, why some modifiers (Fn, Esc, etc) use mixed cases and the others are uppercase ?
It makes the bottom row feels inconsistent...
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2015, 04:02:33 by Ywg »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 04:16:32 »
Making the ergodox side mods all R3 to maintain legends is absolutely a mistake, IMO. It will clash badly with the higher profile alphanumerics. Just leave them blank.

+1, make it like the Carbon set one:

I really like the colourway on this set. Keep on posting, keep tweaking the kits and soon enough you'll be ready to launch this. If you do want to handle all the orders and do the packaging yourself, I suggest you implement a Google Document with a "Commit at this level" per kit, something like massdrop has for some items. That allows people to buy into the Group Buy without risk and prevents a "chicken or egg" problem, whereby most people will be afraid to order in the beginning when the prices is really high, so the numbers never go high enough to get to the lower price tiers.

Also, be aware that SP STILL haven't made the Row 4 Shift molds, so those will be Row 3... This is really starting to be a PITA. I truly love fully sculptured SA sets, but the Row 3 Shifts on all the sets makes them feel "incomplete" and somehow not professional.

I wish they'd realise how this is impacting their reputation in the community and that it really shouldn't be up to us to pay to have them made. After all, we do not profit financially from any Group Buys / community designed keysets. They do.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hippo008

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 00:11:18 »

I suggest you implement a Google Document with a "Commit at this level" per kit, something like massdrop has for some items. That allows people to buy into the Group Buy without risk and prevents a "chicken or egg" problem, whereby most people will be afraid to order in the beginning when the prices is really high, so the numbers never go high enough to get to the lower price tiers.

Also, be aware that SP STILL haven't made the Row 4 Shift molds, so those will be Row 3... This is really starting to be a PITA. I truly love fully sculptured SA sets, but the Row 3 Shifts on all the sets makes them feel "incomplete" and somehow not professional.

I wish they'd realise how this is impacting their reputation in the community and that it really shouldn't be up to us to pay to have them made. After all, we do not profit financially from any Group Buys / community designed keysets. They do.

Thanks so much for the info on the shift keys, I wasnt aware of that. Ill be inquiring about the cost of having molds made for the going future, maybe we could pull this off. SA keysets don't seem to be very popular with them outside the occasional group buy or extra keys they sell, but Ill be sure to report back on my findings.

There most definitely will be a Google Docs order form when that day comes. I hadn't thought about it that way, as a no risk ordering system.

The Ergodox has been so tough. I REALLY like the idea of complete legends on every key but its just not going to work in this profile. The design will be updated with blank keys and a fully sculptured profile as well as the addition of colored keys especially for the ErgoDox.

Thanks for the helpful info Oobly, I really appreciate the feedback.

And to anybody out there still listening, I've been a little busy lately. Sorry about the lack of updates and info on this set.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 00:18:57 by hippo008 »

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 11:49:57 »
I'm also very interested in this set with a sculptured ergodox kit.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:44:25 »
Thanks so much for the info on the shift keys, I wasnt aware of that. Ill be inquiring about the cost of having molds made for the going future, maybe we could pull this off.

Between $8000 and $9000 for both R4 2.25u and 2.75u keys, IIRC and according to previous estimates.

Offline FunkMasterJ

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 16:53:54 »

Out of curiosity, do you mean this in a negative or positive way?

I really do love the blue blue grey theme, especially in darker tones. I tried to differentiate, but is it maybe too similar?
Oh I mean that in super good way. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Calm Depths has been my favorite set to ever release and I think this could look even better.

Offline hippo008

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 17:49:23 »
Thanks so much for the info on the shift keys, I wasnt aware of that. Ill be inquiring about the cost of having molds made for the going future, maybe we could pull this off.

Between $8000 and $9000 for both R4 2.25u and 2.75u keys, IIRC and according to previous estimates.

Maybe some machinists on here that can chime in, but as far as my understanding goes injection mold tooling is very hard to make and very expensive. I guess it comes as no surprise its monstrously expensive to have those molds made. I guess all we can do is hope SP decides that the molds are worth the investment.

thanks for the info

Offline hippo008

Re: [IC] Dusk - An Elegant Dark-Colorway Keyset [update #2]
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 21:08:42 »
bump

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 23:53:02 »

Maybe some machinists on here that can chime in, but as far as my understanding goes injection mold tooling is very hard to make and very expensive. I guess it comes as no surprise its monstrously expensive to have those molds made. I guess all we can do is hope SP decides that the molds are worth the investment.

thanks for the info

I think there's some talk that it's being worked on internally by SP, but there's a lot of information out there both ways. At this point, I'm not really sure what the exact facts are.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:49:30 »
Still into this, love the idea of a calming-depths-like set in SA profile. Just reserved enough of a color scheme for my tastes.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:22:03 »

thanks for the info

I think there's some talk that it's being worked on internally by SP, but there's a lot of information out there both ways. At this point, I'm not really sure what the exact facts are.

The current situation is:

We've been told numerous times by SP that they're working on these molds, but they're not ready yet to be used and they have no ETA for when they will be ready. This has been going on since the planning of the first "fully sculptured" SA set, PuLSE SA around 9 months ago. We are developing a gameplan to get at the very minimum a definite time frame for the completion of the Row 4 Shift molds and hopefully more.

It's my wish that by the time this set is ready to become a GB, the molds will be available for use, but I'm not making any promises yet. hippo008 is in the loop and will keep you posted when there are developments.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:44:54 »
Sexy. I'd hit it.
Agreed. I'd tap that.
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:32:52 »
Quite interesting!Now waiting 4 it to come to reality

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:28:37 »
I'm just hoping SP can get the new PMK site up soon and we can make use of that.

Pity Massdrop's having keycap issues lately or that wouldn't be a bad route.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 01:18:39 »
Interested in my first SA set...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 01:49:48 »
Loving the BBJ "highlights". Really sets of the scheme, IMHO.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:06:17 »
Bump for interest
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 10:16:20 »
I'd be really interested in ergodox support, especially if you can get some basic legends on there. I know legends are always a pain point on Ergodox, but even having some generic symbols or something on the keys would help a lot. Having blank keys on an otherwise legended set just breaks up the look in my opinion.

Love this colorway though.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:49:46 »
Yay! Let's keep this alive! OP have you talked to Melissa at all?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline YabosMcGee

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:27:44 »
Definitely interested. I've been lurking for a while, and just registered because I'm interested in this set and Nantucket Selectric.