Author Topic: Originative Grand Opening!  (Read 39231 times)

Offline guilleguillaume

Re: Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 13:40:03 »
Is that you Demik?

Why are you so angry at the world?

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 13:41:40 »
Community:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 13:46:21 »
Ha! keymaster trolling litster with his avatar now. :)

Show Image

Sherryton should start selling the $5 Esc key for $250. That will really get people *****ing :P

Offline dirge

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:01:34 »
Jesus ****ing christ at this thread.

Demik chill a little, you don't need to get angry to get your point across.

Sherry seems like you had good intentions and this has gone a bit mental.  Please bare in mind the minorities ISO users would like a seat at the table :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:14:41 »
@dirge

Not sure if it got buried in this thread, or if it's in another, but sherry did say that ISO users would get some love, but it might be 3-4 months before he can get those keys on-hand.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dirge

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:26:07 »
I did read that but it sounded more like the regular token blank cap offerering than specifically region specific. Imagine would you be happy if 5 of your keys simply weren't in the set? We're stuck bidding against each other for old 2nd hand boards mostly.  And still getting outbid....
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:37:59 »
They tried to keep GMK hidden from us which they openly admit to knowing about it much earlier than I did, attempted to dissuade me from pursuing groupbuy and going through them instead so the pricing could remain hidden and refused completely to co-operate with the groupbuy efforts when I asked. Don't try and pretend out for any benefit of the community. Out to have a business and make money, which is fine, just be honest about it.
Groupbuy would be a lot easier to reach MOQ if we don't have people undermining it. If they are sincere about helping the groupbuy they will stay away from any of the other proposed colorways so it has more chance of success instead of sabotaging it by rushing out the same option before the buy can conclude.
this is a conflation of many different people and events and i believe a mischaracterization of at least some of the conversations involved.

regardless, in the interest of transparency, i was involved and this "tried to dissuade the group buy" comment may be aimed at me. i had a conversation with dangwang shortly after sherry reached out to lysol about the gb efforts. the thrust of my conversation was to make sure that dangwang and lysol were capable of keeping the gb crowd under control such that gmk was not dissuaded permanently from doing business with geekhackers. at the end of this conversation i felt that dangwang was doing exactly that and told him as much.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:39:27 »
sorry, to be clear, i felt that dangwang and lysol had the situation under control.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:44:12 »
Oh so we can name names now?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:52:22 »
i can certainly name myself and recount the events that may be in question if i choose to. it is already known that you were involved in the gb and as far as i know did not change course at all as a result of our conversation (nor did i ask you to once you had explained to me what was going on)

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:09:28 »
I want to apologize to Originative/Sherry for my behavior last night on GH/DT/IRC as I was one of the people trying to stir the problem pot and troll people into being angry.
Sherry & I have had our differences in the past, but that is no excuse for how I behaved. I am actually quite embarrassed with myself.

The current state of GH is very frustrating for many of the older members who have been around for more than the last few months. We can remember a time when GH was a community where people helped each other. Not a place to make a quick buck at other members expense, while you troll & argue in every single thread. Unfortunately my frustration came out last night towards sherry, and for that I wish to apologize to him.

I don't care if people troll me for posting this, but this isn't for you, its for sherry. I wish you good luck with your new business and am sorry for any negativity I brought towards it last night on GH/DT/IRC

====================================================================================================================================

Now with that out of the way, I have an actual constructive question to ask.

Will future keycap sets include the couple other necessary keys to allow them to be used on non traditional layout 104/101 US ANSI keyboards?

There is a huge list of custom and production keyboards which are not usable with ANY of the sets being offered. Off the top of my head the following keyboards or layouts are unusable with with what is for sale:
-Any custom board which has 1x modifiers as an option usually in an 86key layout such as The Cheat, any of the LZ boards, Phantom, GH60, KMAC mini, 
-Existing non-custom boards such as Race, pure, g80-1800's, and the other gaming brands I cannot remember their names but use 1x modifiers as well

All other group buys done through Geek Hack in recent history have at least had the option available to purchase these keys. Usually if you purchased a tsangan kit add-on and keypad/10key kit add-on you would be covered for these layouts. You wouldn't always have everything in the correct profile, but you could at least fill an entire keyboard for any of the types I listed above.
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:12:09 »
How about the rest of the people who were in the know about GMK and decided to troll our interest check threads with concerns about GMK's production capability, timelines, etc.?  Some people have known about GMK a long time before the company name was ever even introduced to me.  A certain someone in mid-2012 said to me (and I'm paraphrasing) to sell off all my doubleshots because a new company has acquired the tooling.  The first sets would be beige doubleshots and Dolch following that.  Now, I don't want to "reveal" any secrets, but chances are we will see Dolch sets fairly soon.

That person also told me that if I ever spoke a word about it, they would know that it was me (which btw I kept my promise).  I'm sure that person shared the information amongst the l33t west coast, and thus began the journey of GMK production, hidden away from GH.  I can go diving through my PM's and gchats for exact communications and of course, reveal the mystery at hand.  And of course, I can continue speculating with my crazy theories but I'll leave that for my other post.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:15:50 »
Dolch is gonna be sweet!

It did seem strange how many rare DS sets and ESC caps were auctioned off late last year.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:18:27 »
To make some points, I didn't mean to come off so overly harsh. I just feel personally, that the entire thing could have been handled differently, and possibly better. I am not outside blame either, as I didn't handle things as well as I could have. But, I still find it strange that such information about who had Cherry tooling and that it was still available was withheld for so long. Also, I have nothing against making a reasonable return on fronting a large investment to have product made. Taking that on is a huge risk, and could be argued one that is not need to have been taken as you could have just ran a group buy months ago to the benefit of all. Certainly there is not obligation for any vendor to share information about upcoming stock. However, in such a small market it can't really hurt them either. In fact, it get people excited about something and gives plenty of time for free word of mouth advertising which is what a small vendor in a niche market depends on for the most part.
Essentially, I just don't understand why you feel the need to keep things top secret and not give us heads up so we can not step on each other, which was all I was hoping to accomplish. There is no reason vendors and groupbuys can't co-exist, but we need to not make things more difficult for one or the other.
That's really all I need to say.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:18:40 »
Dolch is gonna be sweet!

It did seem strange how many rare DS sets and ESC caps were auctioned off late last year.

It was no strange occurrence, my friend.  People were unloading in preparation for this.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:21:53 »
Dolch is gonna be sweet!

It was no strange occurrence, my friend.  People were unloading in preparation for this.

I'm trying to remember who it was that made $400 from an Olivetti set and $160 from a red Esc..,
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:22:34 »
I was just thinking the same thing!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:23:19 »
Not tsangan!!

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:33:57 »
Side note, judging from Sherry's Olivetti pics, they might not be exact replicas...the Prt Scrn/Sys Rq and Pause/Break keys look different

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:34:40 »
Tab legend is also off

Offline dirge

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:36:48 »
I'd rather see hand painted caps than see people using privileged information to trade rare items knowing the bottoms falling out.
Pretty pathetic and opportunistic.
Don't know why people would put that on themselves. 

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:40:27 »
Dolch is gonna be sweet!

I'm trying to remember who it was that made $400 from an Olivetti set and $160 from a red Esc..,

Is it sad that I can't remember anything about that transaction other than I paid for that cap like three days before EK put them up for sale for $5 and that the five that I ordered from EK after got to my house before the one I spent $160 on earlier did?

Seriously, I can't even find a paypal transaction that looks like it was for that thing.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:40:37 »
I want to apologize to Originative/Sherry for my behavior last night on GH/DT/IRC as I was one of the people trying to stir the problem pot and troll people into being angry.
Sherry & I have had our differences in the past, but that is no excuse for how I behaved. I am actually quite embarrassed with myself.

The current state of GH is very frustrating for many of the older members who have been around for more than the last few months. We can remember a time when GH was a community where people helped each other. Not a place to make a quick buck at other members expense, while you troll & argue in every single thread. Unfortunately my frustration came out last night towards sherry, and for that I wish to apologize to him.

I don't care if people troll me for posting this, but this isn't for you, its for sherry. I wish you good luck with your new business and am sorry for any negativity I brought towards it last night on GH/DT/IRC

====================================================================================================================================

Will future keycap sets include the couple other necessary keys to allow them to be used on non traditional layout 104/101 US ANSI keyboards?

There is a huge list of custom and production keyboards which are not usable with ANY of the sets being offered. Off the top of my head the following keyboards or layouts are unusable with with what is for sale:
-Any custom board which has 1x modifiers as an option usually in an 86key layout such as The Cheat, any of the LZ boards, Phantom, GH60, KMAC mini, 
-Existing non-custom boards such as Race, pure, g80-1800's, and the other gaming brands I cannot remember their names but use 1x modifiers as well

All other group buys done through Geek Hack in recent history have at least had the option available to purchase these keys. Usually if you purchased a tsangan kit add-on and keypad/10key kit add-on you would be covered for these layouts. You wouldn't always have everything in the correct profile, but you could at least fill an entire keyboard for any of the types I listed above.

+1 to this. I think everyone who is just upset should just sit back and relax. Think more before posting, try to be more positive, even if you're upset.
Arguing will get us nowhere but at each others throats.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:52:45 »
@TJ

You, my friend, paid what I like to call a "stupid tax." I've paid that tax several times in my life, and I don't think I'm done with it yet. I try to make each taxation a learning experience.

It's just sad to me that it was another member here that imposed that tax upon you. And a moderator of this forum.

in memoriam

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:58:16 »
@TJ

You, my friend, paid what I like to call a "stupid tax." I've paid that tax several times in my life, and I don't think I'm done with it yet. I try to make each taxation a learning experience.

It's just sad to me that it was another member here that imposed that tax upon you. And a moderator of this forum.

/shrug

I hold no real vitriol about it.  As you say, it was a simple stupid tax that I paid and moved on.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:00:03 »
@TJ

/shrug

I hold no real vitriol about it.  As you say, it was a simple stupid tax that I paid and moved on.

Ah, everyone has done that.  I got caught up in the moment the other day and bought a $200 rock at the rock store that I took my 5 year old son too (so he could get a $0.50 rock).  I got home and I'm like... WTF do I do with a rock?

Edit: Anyone want to trade a mother*(&#$# rock for a keyboard? ;-)
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:02:20 by aggiejy »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:01:22 »
@TJ

/shrug

Ah, everyone has done that.  I got caught up in the moment the other day and bought a $200 rock at the rock store that I took my 5 year old son too (so he could get a $0.50 rock).  I got home and I'm like... WTF do I do with a rock?

Where the **** do you have "rock stores"?

I'm intrigued
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:01:34 »
@TJ

/shrug

Hahaha! Post this rock! Is it a sick geode? Gold in it? I bet it can 'rock' a mantle!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:02:19 »
multi-quote snip

Heheheh, I am that kin'a store  :eek:

If it's not cheeky can I enquire what kind of rock you acquired?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:02:55 »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:04:28 »
Picture above.  Honestly don't even know what kind of rock it is.  Something about a "mud ball" or something.  I just think it looks like a superman egg... yeah, I may have been drinking.  I wasn't driving.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:05:46 »
Picture above.  Honestly don't even know what kind of rock it is.  Something about a "mud ball" or something.  I just think it looks like a superman egg... yeah, I may have been drinking.  I wasn't driving.

It's cool, I support it!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:10:32 »
Mud ball... septarian?  Pudding stone?  Just a ball of mud?   :p

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:12:03 »
Mud ball... septarian?  Pudding stone?  Just a ball of mud?   :p

Septarian!!! That's what she said.  I tried looking it up right when I got home, but couldn't remember what she said.  Googling mud balls didn't help much. :)

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:25:24 »
It really is a rock - it's a combination of calcite (usually an orange yellow) aragonite (brown tones) and silt-stone (grey to brown) with the calcite and aragonite being crystalline (both trigonal) and the silt-stone being amorphous.  There can be little or no calcite, or little or no aragonite, but there must be at least one of them and there must be silt-stone.  Here endith the lesson.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:26:41 »
It really is a rock - it's a combination of calcite (usually an orange yellow) aragonite (brown tones) and silt-stone (grey to brown) with the calcite and aragonite being crystalline (both trigonal) and the silt-stone being amorphous.  There can be little or no calcite, or little or no aragonite, but there must be at least one of them and there must be silt-stone.  Here endith the lesson.

Not yet....coz....WHERES THE FELDSPAR AT YO! hehe

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:29:42 »
I'm familiar with the stupid tax, I call them lesson fees though

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:32:57 »
How about the rest of the people who were in the know about GMK and decided to troll our interest check threads with concerns about GMK's production capability, timelines, etc.?  Some people have known about GMK a long time before the company name was ever even introduced to me.  A certain someone in mid-2012 said to me (and I'm paraphrasing) to sell off all my doubleshots because a new company has acquired the tooling.  The first sets would be beige doubleshots and Dolch following that.  Now, I don't want to "reveal" any secrets, but chances are we will see Dolch sets fairly soon.

That person also told me that if I ever spoke a word about it, they would know that it was me (which btw I kept my promise).  I'm sure that person shared the information amongst the l33t west coast, and thus began the journey of GMK production, hidden away from GH.  I can go diving through my PM's and gchats for exact communications and of course, reveal the mystery at hand.  And of course, I can continue speculating with my crazy theories but I'll leave that for my other post.

This whole thing smells like **** and it's worse than I could imagine...(Not your post but the situation)

Also I don't actually get why mkawa is involved in all this thing if he isn't the vendor(Originative or Elite Keyboards) why does he know about that and did not say any word?

So after iMav left Geek Hack in hands of some moderators and administrators... Did they allowed a speculation gang to make profit from users? Because that's what it looks like.

Since when was this all about hiding secrets and managing all in secret so nobody would notice and some of the special ones coul make money. They even told you not to tell anybody LOL

I guess there are more people involved that already knew this and decided when to throw in the information so we couldn't start in time a GB that could ruin their objectives.

I just can believe that, it's hilarious  :-\

As I said on DT

Quote from: guilleguillaume
[...]

I bet next set he is purchasing from GMK is Dolch...

Seriously this is all ****ed up. Can't recognise GH this days and I guess they don't want Dangwang to talk because he would just destroy their reputation in here.

I didn't want to post because I was going to regret it but this info is like BOOOM  **** YOU LOSERS

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 17:34:04 »
Feldspar?  It's f-in' everywhere man... but not in septarian.  It really is all over the place though - it's an essential for granite, and there are literally hundreds of different distinct types of feldspar, labradorite, amazonite, ogloclase, adularia... more, so many more.

Sorry - between here and the LZ topic I'm being a force for derailment...  it really isn't my intention, just that sort of evening.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:04:24 »

This whole thing smells like **** and it's worse than I could imagine...(Not your post but the situation)

Also I don't actually get why mkawa is involved in all this thing if he isn't the vendor(Originative or Elite Keyboards) why does he know about that and did not say any word?

So after iMav left Geek Hack in hands of some moderators and administrators... Did they allowed a speculation gang to make profit from users? Because that's what it looks like.

Since when was this all about hiding secrets and managing all in secret so nobody would notice and some of the special ones coul make money. They even told you not to tell anybody LOL

I guess there are more people involved that already knew this and decided when to throw in the information so we couldn't start in time a GB that could ruin their objectives.

I just can believe that, it's hilarious  :-\

As I said on DT

Quote from: guilleguillaume
[...]

I bet next set he is purchasing from GMK is Dolch...

Seriously this is all ****ed up. Can't recognise GH this days and I guess they don't want Dangwang to talk because he would just destroy their reputation in here.

I didn't want to post because I was going to regret it but this info is like BOOOM  **** YOU LOSERS

Did that post just get deleted?

Offline metafour

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:18:22 »
This thread is way off track as it is but I figured I'd go back and look at the Olivetti and Red Escape thread that was referenced here. Both items were posted in the "What's it Worth" thread and prices given. They were then put up for auction because the owner "didn't know how to price them" and the Olivetti set went for more than twice what was suggested and the Red Esc for just under what was suggested.

Obviously I can't know if they personally knew the bottom was dropping out on this market but if they did that was certainly a very selfish move. As others have alluded to, the sense of community on GH has certainly degraded since even I joined such a short while ago.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:44:51 »

I can make this possible.  It is just that every ISO GB I checked was about 10-30 ISO kits.  I will see what I can do about this option next time.

Offline jabar

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:45:46 »
I really hope everyone just stops fighting.  I do not care if you guys hate me for this.  I just wanted to surprise everyone with some original Cherry, but I am really not enjoying this at all.
This would have gone a lot smoother if you were upfront about fronting the costs and turning your something special into a store rather than a GB.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:54:01 »
This would have gone a lot smoother if you were upfront about fronting the costs and turning your something special into a store rather than a GB.

Huh? We knew it was going to be a storefront. That's what KeyboardStory was before it...

in memoriam

Offline metafour

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 18:57:53 »
I just wish he would have announced the actual products, at least the RGB sets earlier. Even if they weren't for sale. People could then at least decide whether they were willing to purchase other products now or wait for what was going to be coming. Otherwise we're kind of just left guessing. Also, some people in the know have the ability to make a profit off of certain items and then purchase replacements at a much lower price.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:59:20 »
Ha! keymaster trolling litster with his avatar now. :)

Show Image

What make you say he is trolling me?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:21:41 »
For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kept this to himself, do you feel the same way about EK, which has been selling the red Esc keycap for a while, for higher price than Sherryton is selling?

For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kpet this to himself, what would you have done yourself if you were in his position and have tens of thousand of dollars locked in an order?

I *****ed and moaned about people who do group buy in name and use other people group buy payments to fund their money-making adventure, and many of you are OK with that.  Now, Sherryton put up his own money, or might have taken a big loan out (interest), so he can start a business to make a few bucks.  He assumes all the risk.  If no one buys it, he is screwed.  He would be swimming in keycaps in his bath tub.  If no one buys keycaps from a group buy... no, wait, that would never happen, because everyone has to pay up first and wait for months.  Remember someone asked you for more money because he screwed up and didn't count for keycap sorting fees, and you happily paid more?  I remembered and I paid more.  Try sorting a keycap set for a full size keyboard yourself.  Then try doing it hundreds of times.  How much do you think you should be paid for doing that 8 hours a day?

Tell me, honestly, how many of your work your day job for free?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:24:21 by litster »

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:26:51 »
^this. I am disgusted by the childish display I have seen from some people, ****ing entitled silver spoon brats.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:27:18 »
litster,  I agree with most of What you say. Unfortunately labor and personal time seem to hare no value here and people expect it to be given away. Sad but true.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:38:39 »
For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kept this to himself, do you feel the same way about EK, which has been selling the red Esc keycap for a while, for higher price than Sherryton is selling?

For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kpet this to himself, what would you have done yourself if you were in his position and have tens of thousand of dollars locked in an order?

I *****ed and moaned about people who do group buy in name and use other people group buy payments to fund their money-making adventure, and many of you are OK with that.  Now, Sherryton put up his own money, or might have taken a big loan out (interest), so he can start a business to make a few bucks.  He assumes all the risk.  If no one buys it, he is screwed.  He would be swimming in keycaps in his bath tub.  If no one buys keycaps from a group buy... no, wait, that would never happen, because everyone has to pay up first and wait for months.  Remember someone asked you for more money because he screwed up and didn't count for keycap sorting fees, and you happily paid more?  I remembered and I paid more.  Try sorting a keycap set for a full size keyboard yourself.  Then try doing it hundreds of times.  How much do you think you should be paid for doing that 8 hours a day?

Tell me, honestly, how many of your work your day job for free?

That possibility of backlash and risk of lost orders is why I decided not to work a sorting/shipping fee into the klaxon prices.  Hell, the backlash from i3 having any markup in the Breaking Bad stuff was nearly enough to chase me away from even organizing it.  The point, I guess, is that I'm having to do exactly the scenario you're proposing soon because of the braying about business/time values.

The funny part is that the biggest naysayer here has already ordered from the new site before sherry changed the prices.