Author Topic: Filco for Christmas - broken leg?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Phil21

Filco for Christmas - broken leg?
« on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 22:07:38 »
Hey guys,

I just received a Filco TKL for Christmas, but it appears one of the "nubs" of the legs was broken off.  I attempted to superglue this, it worked for a little while but then broke under use a couple days later.

Where can I pick up a spare leg (or two for future emergencies)?  It seems rather silly to return a $150 product to Amazon, have them ship it back overseas, only to come right back again - all for a 10 cent piece of plastic.

Thanks!

-Phil

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Filco for Christmas - broken leg?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 03:06:19 »
I've never heard of spare parts like this available for sale unfortunately.  Someone else might chime in with a homebrew solution, but if it was me I would RMA it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 03:44:23 »
RMA it - although you might have problems as you have attempted to glue it yourself.

Otherwise: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=949
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 04:03:36 »
Nice!  Good to know these are available.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 14:37:41 »
Would never have thought to look for replacements.  I might have to buy some and just have them sitting somewhere safe, since I could expect to wear down rubber faster than the cherry switches...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:26:52 »
I was just going to suggest Keyboard Co. , but it seems Rowdy beat me to it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 22:42:13 »

Only by about a week :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Filco for Christmas - broken leg?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 22:49:33 »

Only by about a week :p
Oh, crap... well...uhhh... oh look a flying pig!
* SmallFry runs off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:03:27 »
Would never have thought to look for replacements.  I might have to buy some and just have them sitting somewhere safe, since I could expect to wear down rubber faster than the cherry switches...

A good idea :)  Without accidental damage, the keyboard should last for many years, so having a few spare parts around will ensure it keeps going.  Depending on the construction and your expertise, you can even swap switches out if they fail.

Offline Phil21

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:35:34 »
I ended up just ordering two sets of legs.  I figured they are good to have around anyways, and for $5 I'm not going to ship a keyboard back.  I'm happy enough having these semi-available in the US.

I do suggest putting at least a handful of these on Amazon if possible :)  Even at $10, it would have been cheaper than shipping.  I know storage fees w/ Amazon Fulfillment can get kind of spendy for the smaller items though.

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 05:08:13 »
Hi Guys.

We looked at Amazon but they don't work so well on a 'spares' type product.
We do keep the spare parts that make up a Filco and as they are small bits it is not too bad shipping them all from here in the UK, and we're happy to do it.
I agree, it is an expensive product and should last a long time so if we can help out with little 'accidents' like this - then we should.

Bruce

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:56:31 »
Awesome response, Bruce :)

It was just coincidence I was looking at your site the other day and noticed the spare parts section, and then someone ups and asks on Geekhack!