Author Topic: Go for GMK or JTK  (Read 28654 times)

Offline Baddy126

Go for GMK or JTK
« on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:26:00 »
I'm considering buying some thick abs since everyone says it's amazing... my only question is should I just start off with the big boy stuff (GMK) or go for something easier on the wallet for JTK?

They all make very nice sets and I wouldn't mind getting anything by either of them.... just wanted to see some opinions that's all.

Thanks!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Go for GMK or JTK
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:27:15 »
GMK quality is still better than JTK right now, but JTK is nicer to use than SP and easier on the wallet than GMK.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:27:27 »
Both are really good. Go for the set (color scheme) that you like more.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:30:34 »
I would personally go for the end game (GMK) if you've the budget

JTK is good, but there are still works to do like their font tidiness, stems (as I find they're too tight)
Although some GMK production also has backlight issue

nevertheless color is more important :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:32:43 »
if you want inconsistent letter size, jtk

if you want scratches, gmk

if you want perfection, get yourself an hhkb.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:34:18 »

+1

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:34:24 »

Is that the new slogan?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:35:20 »

Is that the new slogan?

si

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:56:04 »
Like others said. GMK is great.  Their quality dropped a bit last year, and we don't really know if its bounced back yet.

JTK has some problems, but they are continually improving.
Hi :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:57:47 »

For being a brand new company, I would say they did a pretty good job. I don't know why you give them so much ****.
Those issues are being fixed for the next run.

Let's look back at all the massive ****ups from SP (a company that has been around a long time, still making ****ups) ;)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:59:57 »
Gmk all the way

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:01:32 »
Like others said. GMK is great.  Their quality dropped a bit last year, and we don't really know if its bounced back yet.

Nah, their quality didn't slip last year.  What happened?  A bunch of people blew non-issues like light bleed out of proportion and a single GB didn't have complete color mixing on a custom color.  There were no more scratches or other problems than normal, just two things blew up into a total cluster****.  Even with the issues from the TA buy, they still have better quality caps than anything else out there.

For being a brand new company, I would say they did a pretty good job. I don't know why you give them so much ****.

Let's look back at all the massive ****ups from SP (a company that has been around a long time, still making ****ups) ;)

I'm hoping that they are a bit better with the next round.  I don't think we've seen R2 yet, but there were some issues with R1 (purple and white) that make me not sure I can use them since once they've been noticed, there's no unseeing them.  They are still nicer than SP DCS though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:03:37 by nubbinator »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:03:39 »
GMK made with standard colors that implies standard raw materials; it appears their tooling (molds, and injection molding machines) are all setup to process the standard resins and additives, while revising the setups for new ones cause them some quality issues.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:03:50 »
$120 + a set and you have to put your faith in your GB to take care of mistakes,

JTK significantly cheaper and BL is just a PM away if there are issues...

SP has SA sets, the only reason they get play on my credit card

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:04:17 »

Nah, their quality didn't slip last year.  What happened?  A bunch of people blew non-issues like light bleed out of proportion and a single GB didn't have complete color mixing on a custom color.  There were no more scratches or other problems than normal, just two things blew up into a total cluster****.  Even with the issues from the TA buy, they still have better quality caps than anything else out there.

I'm hoping that they are a bit better with the next round.  I don't think we've seen R2 yet, but there were some issues with R1 (purple and white) that make me not sure I can use them since once they've been noticed, there's no unseeing them.  They are still nicer than SP DCS though.

I agree, but the lightbleed was something that I haven't seen before in GMK sets, but it very well may have existed before. 

I'm very excited for what Ctrl Alt and JTK have in store for us. 
Hi :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:06:55 »
Light bleed did exist before and will happen with any lighter colored plastic.  Most the previous buys were just darker colors that are less susceptible to it.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:10:24 »
I personally am really excited to see how round 2 of JTK turns out - I know everyone complains about the legends but R1 was a pretty ****ing good first shot

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:38:39 »

lets, SP did **** up a lot. they aren't immune to criticism either. i dont think users should be beta testers for whatever price jtk goes for. c'mon, that white on black set look like it was made for blind people.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:45:32 »
At this current moment in time I couldn't recommend JTK. The legends, to someone as anal as me, are glaringly ugly. That said, if improvements are made then JTK will perhaps become a viable option. Only time will tell.

GMK is great, but..

Original Cherry is still the best. I don't believe it will ever be bested.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:48:19 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:49:19 »

I was with you until you decided to drag yet another company through the mud. I'm not sure how bad-mouthing SP makes JTK or GMK look better.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:51:02 »

lets, SP did **** up a lot. they aren't immune to criticism either. i dont think users should be beta testers for whatever price jtk goes for. c'mon, that white on black set look like it was made for blind people.

Oh I am not denying that there were issues, I am just saying that this is brand new tooling, and process for them. Also, it wasn't a secret regarding those legends, as the images of the set were produced
prior to the sale running. They weren't hiding it in any way. So if anyone bought the set, they bought it knowing this.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:52:04 »

I was with you until you decided to drag yet another company through the mud. I'm not sure how bad-mouthing SP makes JTK or GMK look better.

I wasnt trying to drag their name through the mud, I was simply using them as an example that some leniency should be considered in this situation.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:52:57 »
the images of the set were produced prior to the sale running. They weren't hiding it in any way. So if anyone bought the set, they bought it knowing this.
Before the first GB? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing any images before I purchased a set.
github

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:53:43 »

I wasnt trying to drag their name through the mud, I was simply using them as an example that some leniency should be considered in this situation.
Fair enough. I may have interpreted that more harshly than you intended. One thing you've got to give SP credit for, they always make good on their mistakes.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:54:05 »
At this current moment in time I couldn't recommend JTK. The legends, to someone as anal as me, are glaringly ugly. That said, if improvements are made then JTK will perhaps become a viable option. Only time will tell.

GMK is great, but..

So the tooling that GMK uses, is that original Cherry corp tooling, or is it their own? I was still never clear on this. Did Cherry produce everything in-house, or were they going out to other companies like GMK?

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:56:38 »
Seems like the only set of JTK I can get are the WoB on originitiveco and the other sets were from a group buy that I wasn't even aware of. I do like the hyperfuse but that also seems out of the question and the only available set I see that I would like is the sky dolch but at $165... that's almost triple the price of the JTK sets on ctrlalt.io

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:56:41 »

Fair enough. I may have interpreted that more harshly than you intended. One thing you've got to give SP credit for, they always make good on their mistakes.

No doubt, they definitely do. I just wanted to point out that even established companies have issues like this.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:59:04 »
Just get blanks in Cherry profile.  They are cheap and you don't have to worry about nonsense like screwed up legends.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:00:37 »
So the tooling that GMK uses, is that original Cherry corp tooling, or is it their own? I was still never clear on this. Did Cherry produce everything in-house, or were they going out to other companies like GMK?
GMK has the original Cherry doubleshot tooling, but they do not manage to produce keycaps of the same quality as Cherry. Small errors in some legends, the texture isn't as nice, etc. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps it's just lack of QC, perhaps they have had to make repairs/changes to the moulds or perhaps it's both.

Really though, I was mostly referring to Cherry dyesubs. They're so far ahead of even Cherry doubleshots. They are perfect.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:02:08 by Photekq »
github

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:00:38 »
Just get blanks in Cherry profile.  They are cheap and you don't have to worry about nonsense like screwed up legends.

Where do I get thick blank abs?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:08:32 »
the images of the set were produced prior to the sale running. They weren't hiding it in any way. So if anyone bought the set, they bought it knowing this.
Before the first GB? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing any images before I purchased a set.

I posted images of the set prior to launching the buy

They are available to find in the forum

I also made it very clear on the original sale page that this was he first production and there would be issues specifically regarding legends

Since there were issues, we have offered free full legacy support with jtk, when we fix and finalise a legend it'll be reproduced for all the original buys

We extensively tested jtk before anyone ever knew anything about it, people close to me we're seeing samples 2 years before I said anything publicly

But there were subtle changes in materials chosen at the end and other issues that come in to play when going in to mass production

Initially we also had lots of legends on one mould, and changing one legend had a knock on effect across others

It took a ton of trial and error and these moulds and legends are made by hand

Not only will the issues be fixed for future sets, they will for past sets as well

Everyone who purchased the debut set knew exactly what they were buying, unless of course they didn't bother to read the information at the very top of the sale page

The sets made on the debut one are wob,bow and purple

There will be huge improvements on sophomore sets, I'm sure it still won't be perfect, but it'll get closer every time

People are welcome to wait until the set is up to there standards, or support the project to help speed up these changes

But at no point have I stated the set is finished and finalised, nor have I claimed it to be a replica of gmk, which is the standard it is being held to
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:10:55 by BunnyLake »
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:14:28 »
GMK has the original Cherry doubleshot tooling, but they do not manage to produce keycaps of the same quality as Cherry. Small errors in some legends, the texture isn't as nice, etc. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps it's just lack of QC, perhaps they have had to make repairs/changes to the moulds or perhaps it's both.

Really though, I was mostly referring to Cherry dyesubs. They're so far ahead of even Cherry doubleshots. They are perfect.
Man that makes me want the dyesubs more!. Reply to my pm man

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:18:55 »

I also made it very clear on the original sale page that this was he first production and there would be issues specifically regarding legends

Since there were issues, we have offered free full legacy support with jtk, when we fix and finalise a legend it'll be reproduced for all the original buys

We extensively tested jtk before anyone ever knew anything about it, people close to me we're seeing samples 2 years before I said anything publicly

But there were subtle changes in materials chosen at the end and other issues that come in to play when going in to mass production

Initially we also had lots of legends on one mould, and changing one legend had a knock on effect across others

Not only will the issues be fixed for future sets, they will for past sets as well

Everyone who purchased the debut set knew exactly what they were buying, unless of course they didn't bother to read the information at the very top of the sale page

There will be huge improvements on sophomore sets, I'm sure it still won't be perfect, but it'll get closer every time

People are welcome to wait intil the set is up to there standards, or support the project to help speed up these changes

But at no point have I stated the set is finished and finalised, nor have I claimed it to be a replica of gmk, which is the standard it is being held to
I guess I must have just missed the pictures, or perhaps my memory is just hazy. Of course. I purchased the set knowing that it was going to be the first, imperfect run and I'm sure everyone knows that too. Whenever I see JTK criticized it is almost always followed by a statement of the fact that it will be seeing improvements, so I certainly don't think it's a little-known fact.

I just cannot recommend buying JTK for using on a keyboard at this moment in time due to the legends. That said, buying JTK for the sake of supporting improvements is something else entirely. I look forward to seeing how the sets improve.

github

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:21:38 »
it's a shame that most JTK discussion/question/media threads seem to turn into ****ting on JTK

not sure how or why people expect them their sets to be on par with GMK, considering how new JTK are to this and the pricing difference between both manufacturers

if you want the premium stuff, go GMK (classifieds for past sets)

if you want a cheaper, yet still pretty decent set, go JTK

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:22:29 »

People are welcome to wait intil the set is up to there standards, or support the project to help speed up these changes

I guess I must have just missed the pictures, or perhaps my memory is just hazy. Of course. I purchased the set knowing that it was going to be the first, imperfect run and I'm sure everyone knows that too. Whenever I see JTK criticized it is almost always followed by a statement of the fact that it will be seeing improvements, so I certainly don't think it's a little-known fact.

I just cannot recommend buying JTK for using on a keyboard at this moment in time due to the legends. That said, buying JTK for the sake of supporting improvements is something else entirely. I look forward to seeing how the sets improve.

To be honest I think the PoW looks nice overall. These were all from group buys so even if I wanted to purchase it I can't   :-\

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:22:56 »
$120 + a set and you have to put your faith in your GB to take care of mistakes,

JTK significantly cheaper and BL is just a PM away if there are issues...

SP has SA sets, the only reason they get play on my credit card

is he? he's not exactly the most level headed when somebody criticizes how he runs things.

but before i get called out for "hating" on bunny, save it. i don't care what his stans say.

anyway, the purple on white is nice.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:24:18 »
it's a shame that most JTK discussion/question/media threads seem to turn into ****ting on JTK
I don't see this occurring. I see criticism of JTK, which is absolutely fine and is something that must be done. Without criticism, whether it be from one person or from many, how can you hope for there to be improvements? This rings true for any person and any thing - not just JTK.
github

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:30:34 »
I'd like to point out this wasn't supposed to be cluster**** or anything. OP wanted/still wants suggestions and help about keysets. How about focus on that?

To put it simply, I don't think demik was attempting to "talk ****" but merely do a quick con list with quirky remark. It was just simple criticism that I think certainly got blown out of proportion, as he was not exactly attacking JTK/GMK just stating facts.

so OP, buy anything you want but:

JTK sets (BoW, WoB, PoW) will have some legends that may distract you from the varying size in lettering. Future JTK sets will not have these issues. However, they are colorful, cheap, and thick so, potentially worth the wait if you care.

GMK sets (Cyan, TA, Hyperfuse at the top of my head) can have scratches and/or the ability to bleed with backlighting. For example, Hyperfuse doesn't for me, but my Cyan set does. These sets are expensive, sometimes hard to find for a decent price on Classifieds or r/MechMarket but it's possible.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:36:47 »
I'd like to point out this wasn't supposed to be cluster**** or anything. OP wanted/still wants suggestions and help about keysets. How about focus on that?

To put it simply, I don't think demik was attempting to "talk ****" but merely do a quick con list with quirky remark. It was just simple criticism that I think certainly got blown out of proportion, as he was not exactly attacking JTK/GMK just stating facts.

JTK sets (BoW, WoB, PoW) will have some legends that may distract you from the varying size in lettering. Future JTK sets will not have these issues. However, they are colorful, cheap, and thick so, potentially worth the wait if you care.

GMK sets (Cyan, TA, Hyperfuse at the top of my head) can have scratches and/or the ability to bleed with backlighting. For example, Hyperfuse doesn't for me, but my Cyan set does. These sets are expensive, sometimes hard to find for a decent price on Classifieds or r/MechMarket but it's possible.

Thanks for the pros and cons Beehatch. Aside from what you've listed, could you shed some light as to how they feel? If you were to close your eyes and typed on them could you even tell the difference or are they all pretty much exactly the same?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 22:54:54 »
Depending on the color scheme you want either is fine. If you aren't anal about the legends and looking at your set with a microscope then go for Jtk. The price is pretty good for a pretty good quality plastic.
I never look directly at my keyboard so inconsistencies wouldn't bother me and there is some inconsistencies with gmk but it is hardly noticeable .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 03:39:46 »

Thanks for the pros and cons Beehatch. Aside from what you've listed, could you shed some light as to how they feel? If you were to close your eyes and typed on them could you even tell the difference or are they all pretty much exactly the same?

I'd have to do a blind test, but AFAICR JTK is a little smoother than GMK.

But then these are ABS, and they will all shine up if you use them long enough.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 04:19:28 »

That is the only thing that would stop me from buying I think..
The shine.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 09:44:51 »
Depending on the color scheme you want either is fine. If you aren't anal about the legends and looking at your set with a microscope then go for Jtk. The price is pretty good for a pretty good quality plastic.
I never look directly at my keyboard so inconsistencies wouldn't bother me and there is some inconsistencies with gmk but it is hardly noticeable .

Maybe it depends on the set, but I know some of my JTK caps have small gaps between the legends and the cap and some have soft looking legends in addition to legend size variance.  It's not all microscopic stuff.  The quality is suppossed to be improving and, like I said, I'd still take it over SP DCS, but, for the white on purple set at least, it's not so minute that you won't notice it without a microscope.

If you're willing to spend the extra, I think GMK is worth the premium right now.  If you don't, JTK is great.  As things get figured it and quality improves, JTK may end up being recommended over GMK.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:27:30 »

GMK is great, but..

What's the difference between OG cherry DS and GMK? Is there much difference in feel of the texture of the caps?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:34:59 »
What's the difference between OG cherry DS and GMK? Is there much difference in feel of the texture of the caps?

github

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:35:51 »
how bad is the shine on the abs?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:46:21 »
how bad is the shine on the abs?
It all depends on use, environment, personal chemistry etc.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:59:03 »

I have the opposite opinion. Currently have JTK alphas and GMK mods on the board I'm typing on now, and I find the GMK to be slightly smoother. Or at least consistently so. The scoops feel smoothest of all the caps on the board.

Not that the JTK caps feel bad or anything. I don't notice the difference when I'm hacking away. I'd say the real only issue, as noted previously, is the legends. And as already mentioned, that's being addressed with each new run.

Barring price and availability, I'd choose GMK as it stands right now, if I could only have one. But I'm not unhappy with my JTK set and will likely buy more sets as improvements and colorways are introduced. If pricing is an issue, then I have no problems recommending JTK, assuming the legends don't bother you.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:07:37 »

I have the opposite opinion. Currently have JTK alphas and GMK mods on the board I'm typing on now, and I find the GMK to be slightly smoother. Or at least consistently so. The scoops feel smoothest of all the caps on the board.

Not that the JTK caps feel bad or anything. I don't notice the difference when I'm hacking away. I'd say the real only issue, as noted previously, is the legends. And as already mentioned, that's being addressed with each new run.

Barring price and availability, I'd choose GMK as it stands right now, if I could only have one. But I'm not unhappy with my JTK set and will likely buy more sets as improvements and colorways are introduced. If pricing is an issue, then I have no problems recommending JTK, assuming the legends don't bother you.

Thanks for your reply! I've already made up my mind that the JTK legends aren't that bad... but the availability  of these sets seem so scarce compared to GMK so if I were to purchase any sets brand new... it'd probably be eaiser to get GMK over JTK unless someone else can point me in the direct of getting some JTK preferably (PoW)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:56:05 »

Thanks for your reply! I've already made up my mind that the JTK legends aren't that bad... but the availability  of these sets seem so scarce compared to GMK so if I were to purchase any sets brand new... it'd probably be eaiser to get GMK over JTK unless someone else can point me in the direct of getting some JTK preferably (PoW)
There have been some JTK sets sold in classifieds and bunnylake may have some extras still.

I've also seen some at a few other vendors.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 19:46:21 »
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I've decided to wait for the next jtk set I saw on their instagram!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 19:52:55 »
Sometimes I wonder how I got into keyboards as a hobby.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 19:54:38 »
hhkb was sending signal to your brain. it was only a matter of time until u found it

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:00:20 »
hhkb was sending signal to your brain. it was only a matter of time until u found it

Why is every post from demik about hhkb? Do you hate realforce?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:01:59 »

Uh-oh...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:02:01 »

RealForce?  More like FeelWorse.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:02:16 »

I got into it because it's something I use everyday. Might as well get something good right?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:03:25 »

im glad you ask.

hhkb is the greatest keyboard ever created. it comes with PBT keycaps, so there is no need to worry about ****ty cherry caps regardless of who makes them.

do i hate RF? no, but i hate TKL keyboards. 60% is the future. buy hhkb. be happy. be topre.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:03:31 »

I am no expert but aren't they all topre? Lol my mx clears on the pok3r feel the same as my friends v60 mx clears...

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:05:05 »

im glad you ask.

hhkb is the greatest keyboard ever created. it comes with PBT keycaps, so there is no need to worry about ****ty cherry caps regardless of who makes them.

do i hate RF? no, but i hate TKL keyboards. 60% is the future. buy hhkb. be happy. be topre.

I see your point. I think if they came out with a 55g hhkb stock I'd prefer that over realforce but... Money problems

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:06:04 »

I am no expert but aren't they all topre? Lol my mx clears on the pok3r feel the same as my friends v60 mx clears...

Realforce has a steel plate that makes it feel crappy.  Better than an FC660C, but worse than a HHKB.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:08:14 »
Seems like the only set of JTK I can get are the WoB on originitiveco and the other sets were from a group buy that I wasn't even aware of. I do like the hyperfuse but that also seems out of the question and the only available set I see that I would like is the sky dolch but at $165... that's almost triple the price of the JTK sets on ctrlalt.io
Be patience and check classified or r/mechmarket ,jtk PoW and WoB often go on sale around $80
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline yomammary

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:31:30 »

Realforce has a steel plate that makes it feel crappy.  Better than an FC660C, but worse than a HHKB.
I don't agree but that's what's fun with opinions :p
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:33:37 »
Be patience and check classified or r/mechmarket ,jtk PoW and WoB often go on sale around $80

I sold my BoW / Stormtrooper set recently, but used for about 3 weeks, for €50, but I think I only paid €70 new! And that's the best part of JTK sets, they are cheap. But the quality regarding uniform legends is not that good until now, and I would say a little bit improving before going to the market would have been really better. But for a daily driver: I would not care that much! The texture is nice, and the caps are thick.

... ...

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:39:29 »

I sold my BoW / Stormtrooper set recently, but used for about 3 weeks, for €50, but I think I only paid €70 new! And that's the best part of JTK sets, they are cheap. But the quality regarding uniform legends is not that good until now, and I would say a little bit improving before going to the market would have been really better. But for a daily driver: I would not care that much! The texture is nice, and the caps are thick.

Show Image

If I get my hands on that black/white reaper v2 I'll probably wanna get one of these

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:40:20 »
I do not have a GMK set to compare it to, but I just received my Stormtrooper set yesterday and the quality is very good in my opinion. I like the feel of the keys and in my limited inspection of the keys during assembly of the layout, the legends seem to be consistent and bold.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:14:55 »

Show Image

Is it just the picture or are the thicknesses of the legends all over the place?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:34:32 »

Show Image

Is it just the picture or are the thicknesses of the legends all over the place?
JTK legends rocking as they are! Probably that is what people don't like, since the thickness and texture of the caps is great.
... ...

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 11:31:03 »

Show Image

It's not the picture.

I actually took a closer look at my Stormtrooper set yesterday evening and the "C" key is most noticeably thinner in a portion of the legend. The "Q" "W" and "G" keys seem to be the most bold, respectively. At least the inconsistencies are consistent.  ^-^

Edit: Still a great set overall in my opinion for $83 shipped. Lots of layout options and thick caps. I will be putting them on a Plum96.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 11:33:06 by Ail »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 11:52:41 »
That's pretty bad then, those look way more off that even Gateron caps

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:47:27 »
But aren't gaterons not PBT and dyesubbed, so you really can't compare them?
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline joey

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:48:19 »
You can still compare the quality of the legends.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:49:13 »
I was just comparing them to another popular set with probably the worst legend problems before that.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:25:30 »
Consistency of legends?  Who looks at their keyboard while typing anyway?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:52:55 »

This a thousand times. I look at my keys only when sorting them for the first time and placing them on my board. That's it.
I dunno; maybe I'm just still new to this hobby.

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:06:07 »
I mean, I stare at my keyboard because it is beautiful and I love it.

That said I'm not really going to care too much about some inconsistent legends, gives character imo.  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:05:08 »

when the legends are that horrifically inconsistent, yea I'm sure I'd notice every once and a while. And while I'm paying that much for a set, I'd rather it not be subpar.

Not to say that the legends won't be fixed eventually, but I'd like to see the issues be properly addressed all the way through production before I'd trust JTK.

Offline joey

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:07:22 »

when the legends are that horrifically inconsistent, yea I'm sure I'd notice every once and a while. And while I'm paying that much for a set, I'd rather it not be subpar.

Not to say that the legends won't be fixed eventually, but I'd like to see the issues be properly addressed all the way through production before I'd trust JTK.
The next sets (there are some pics on taobao) look a lot better. There might still be some issues, but at least the alphas look much better.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:09:00 »

The next sets (there are some pics on taobao) look a lot better. There might still be some issues, but at least the alphas look much better.

Do you have a link?

Offline joey

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:13:11 »

Do you have a link?
Not a great one here. Just search for 'jtk keycaps'.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 03:48:48 »

True, although my eyes are such that unless I squint I generally don't notice slight inconsistencies.

Misaligned keycaps is another matter, he said, thinking of Granite R1, which could be spotted from across the room.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 04:26:02 »
The difference between the G and the X on my JTK Stormtrooper set I'm using kind of sucks, but not much I can do about it due to it being first generation. Still really nice keysets; it's my 2nd JTK that I've used and I wish I can keep it longer than a few weeks.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 08:01:36 »
Poor Potato, but here's JTK Stormtrooper next to GMK Bluegaloo. Should illustrate the differences.

I think for a first run product, it's pretty good. The alphas are the worst offenders, while the F-row is mostly consistent. It doesn't bother me when I'm typing, but it doesn't photograph as well as the GMK.

In terms of feel, its a near thing. Keycap sizing, look, and spacing is spot on as far as I can tell. I don't think I could tell which was JTK and which was GMK from a blind typing test. And that's why I'll be buying another JTK set when another colorway I like comes out. Not to mention the legends are improved in the second run already.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 08:54:22 by keshley »

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 08:18:36 »
Until JTK be an actual active and constant source for key board key cap kits, it is not an actual alternative to any other present and readily available option.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:42:14 »
Until JTK be an actual active and constant source for key board key cap kits, it is not an actual alternative to any other present and readily available option.

What are you even talking about, lol.

There was a first run, and now there is a second run, and there will presumably be a third run, and so on. Sounds pretty present and readily available to me.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:59:42 »

There was a first run, and now there is a second run, and there will presumably be a third run, and so on. Sounds pretty present and readily available to me.

It's actually public knowledge there will be a 3rd run :P
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 19:26:52 »
Okay I need to revisit this, because while I love the quality of the JTK Stormtrooper caps, the legends are actually really bad. At first I thought it was only some inconsistencies in the thicknesses of the ascenders, descenders, and stems of some the letters. Upon further inspection whilst placing the set on my Keycool 84, I have found there to be severe bleeding and even full spots that should not be there on some of the caps. The Cherry logo key with a window for instance, is HORRIBLE. The cherries and leaves run in to each other so bad. The 8 key has a bad spot on the upper inside edge of the top circle portion of the 8. Many of the other keys with any kind of lettering have inconsistent thicknesses.

For the price you get a very solid feeling set of caps, and a lot of them, but the legends are pretty poor. If Originative had a GMK BoW set I would probably try to return these and pay the difference for that instead.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:36:57 »

It's actually public knowledge there will be a 3rd run :p

If that is the case try to run a GB with your preferred colors and see if JTK is readily available.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 04:07:53 »

If that is the case try to run a GB with your preferred colors and see if JTK is readily available.

Can we just run GBs through JTK directly, or do we need to go through BunnyLake?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 14:15:52 »

I dont know what you're saying?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 15:27:46 »

I dont know what you're saying?

Is JTK available to quote and run GBs for sets like the ones are now being at the IC or GB stages with GMK? For example, Monkey, Icon mods, Skidata?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 16:34:05 »
I think I know what you're implying, by the way Sophomore isn't there set it's CtrlAlt's design.

Why would we want to run a set which someone else is already running?

Offline joey

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 16:35:21 »
I think I know what you're implying, by the way Sophomore isn't there set it's CtrlAlt's design.

Why would we want to run a set which someone else is already running?
He wants to be able to propose sets for JTK to manufacture. Like you can with GMK.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 16:36:34 »
Good for him Joey :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 17:39:42 »
Good for him Joey :)

That doesn't answer the question.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:11:02 »
Manners cost nothing you know...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:14:26 »
Manners cost nothing you know...

Let me know when you find them then.  There was nothing rude about the questions being asked and you just got huffy instead.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:19:44 »
I was more referring to the slack PM...

Whats the question anyway?

Can you submit your own GBs to JTK? I'm not sure why people would want to since they spend such vast amounts of time ****ting on them.

But yes, we've already stated - when they're ready.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:26:58 »
No one sees the slack PM, so it came off as you being pissy.

The question is can people submit designs to JTK to run a group buy without CtrlAlt involvement or do all GBs have to be CtrlAlt buys?  You appear to have answered that, though that is the first time I have ever seen it stated that it will be available to others and the question about CtrlAlt involvement is still unanswered.  I've only seen them treated as a CtrlAlt exclusive.

People aren't ****ting on JTK, they're just saying they're not up to snuff yet and that there are legend issues, but that they are improving.  That's called constructive criticism and it needs to be heard in order to improve.  If JTK wants to be a serious alternative, those issues need to be heard and corrected instead of minimizing the issues and passing them off as people ****ting on the manufacturer.  The fact that you stated "when they're ready" implies that you know that they're not quite up to snuff yet.

In the mean time, people are saying that GMK has better quality, JTK feels better than SP, and JTK is priced better than GMK but JTK has worse quality on the legends than GMK and SP, so it's probably better off going with those until JTK legend issues are resolved, unless the legend issues don't bother you.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:36:16 »
Semi-related point. Which I would like to use to address your final sentence.

People seem so happy to support new found "artisans"  but they're deadset against supporting JTK, they'll "leave it for now" as you say.

What I'm asking, why?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:51:35 »
Probably because people expect something that's manufactured to be market ready unless it's explicitly stated that they know they're receiving a beta product and they're getting a discounted price to cover manufacturing cost and help fund changes.  Even though it was stated that the first set could have some slight errors, it was also stated that there would be strict QC.  Perhaps some people felt that the legend issues were more than slight errors or that the QC was not strict or that the legends on the Ctrl cap in the picture were not indicative of the legends on the final set they received.  I can't say why people feel the way they do, but that seems to be the main issue at play from what I've seen people say. 

That said, I haven't seen people saying to not support JTK though, just that there's room for improvement and that they'd take other manufacturers over JTK for now.  I think, perhaps, that the CtrlAlt team is misconstruing this because of their relationship with JTK.  What I see is people saying that they like the potential of a product, but that they won't recommend it as the go to product yet due to its flaws; however, once those issues are worked out, it should be a great alternative that's cheaper than GMK with similar quality.

I can say with me that I felt that the set and how it would look was oversold and that what I got was a little disappointing as a result.  That does not mean that I won't support JTK in the future should there be a set I like, but that until the legend issues get worked out or prices run closer to the $60 mark the original set ran at, I'd rather spend a little more and get GMK.

On the artisan comparison, I think people expect artisans to be a little rough when they start out, so it's okay.  I do think that the pricing of a lot of upstart artisans is obscene though and I really don't understand how people can pay $30+shipping or more for unproven or rough artisan caps.  That's just as much of a mystery to me.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:02:43 »
All valid points, thank you. I thought we made the first part clear, but it's good that you mentioned it, definitely something to take on board. I feel kinda naf  only writing a short reply, but I don't have no arguments to make :)

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:06:53 »

People seem so happy to support new found "artisans"  but they're deadset against supporting JTK, they'll "leave it for now" as you say.

What I'm asking, why?

A bit of an apples and oranges comparison here. Artisans are imperfect intrinsically. Part of the sell on a handcrafted key is that it will look just that. On the other hand legends on key caps are supposed to look clean and consistent, so when they are not, people are going to point that out. Doesn't matter who is making them. I did, and do support JTK, but I also don't blame others for not wanting to spend $80 on a set of caps that some of the legends look like they were done with a sharpie. I mean, if being honest about the legends is ****ting on them, then guilty as charged. I paid $80 for my right to be critical of the product. I also made sure to leave them a 5 star review on Originative because despite the legends the keys are great quality.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:14:31 »

What I'm asking, why?

A bit of an apples and oranges comparison here. Artisans are imperfect intrinsically. Part of the sell on a handcrafted key is that it will look just that. On the other hand legends on key caps are supposed to look clean and consistent, so when they are not, people are going to point that out. Doesn't matter who is making them. I did, and do support JTK, but I also don't blame others for not wanting to spend $80 on a set of caps that some of the legends look like they were done with a sharpie. I mean, if being honest about the legends is ****ting on them, then guilty as charged. I paid $80 for my right to be critical of the product. I also made sure to leave them a 5 star review on Originative because despite the legends the keys are great quality.

I wouldn't say JTK legends are that bad!

There are a few irregularities, but that is the case for many keycap sets I have.

The biggest difference I noticed is that between the doubleshot main set and the few windows pad-printed ones, but I can completely understand that they would look different.  The rest of the minor inconsistencies I hardly notice, even when squinting at the keyboard in the semi-darkness where I usually sit.

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:40:55 »

What I'm asking, why?

There are a few irregularities, but that is the case for many keycap sets I have.

The biggest difference I noticed is that between the doubleshot main set and the few windows pad-printed ones, but I can completely understand that they would look different.  The rest of the minor inconsistencies I hardly notice, even when squinting at the keyboard in the semi-darkness where I usually sit.

That was an exaggeration, and it's only a few keys on my set that are that bad, it's mostly noticeably inconsistent thicknesses otherwise.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:13:41 »

What I'm asking, why?

That was an exaggeration, and it's only a few keys on my set that are that bad, it's mostly noticeably inconsistent thicknesses otherwise.

Which set have you got?

I have the WoB debut set.

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:30:30 »

What I'm asking, why?

Which set have you got?

Stormtrooper. I picked it up off Originative last month.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:40:09 »

What I'm asking, why?

Which set have you got?

Stormtrooper a generation or two newer, WoB original debut - I wonder how many differences there are.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 05:36:52 »

What I'm asking, why?

Which set have you got?

Stormtrooper a generation or two newer, WoB original debut - I wonder how many differences there are.

Not sure if this is correct but I heard that Stormtrooper is the same generation of molds as Debut so they should be the same

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 06:19:41 »
Nobody actually looks at legends. Buy for feels.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 08:08:41 »
Stormtrooper was made with the freshman buy. Same "generation" as black and purple.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 16:57:25 »

bunnylake just told me the legend set is not complete yet so they are not taking orders to manufacture other sets.